Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:46 am

Poll #11: Stanley Kubrick 

What's your favorite Stanley Kubrick movie?
Flying Padre 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Day of the Flight 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Fear and Desire 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Seafarers 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Killing 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Paths of Glory 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Spartacus 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Lolita 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Dr. Strangelove 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
2001 43%  43%  [ 19 ]
A Clockwork Orange 18%  18%  [ 8 ]
Barry Lyndon 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
The Shining 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Full Metal Jacket 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Eyes Wide Shut 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 44

Poll #11: Stanley Kubrick 
Post Poll #11: Stanley Kubrick
What's your favorite Stanley Kubrick movie?

Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:38 am
Post Re: Poll #11: Stanley Kubrick
I'm going with Dr. Strangelove. It's the most fun of his movies, it's the bravest movie Kubrick has made and George C. Scott in Strangelove is my favorite Kubrick performance.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:41 am
It's like choosing between your children

Here's how I have rated his movies

10 - 2001 and Dr. Strangelove
9 - Clockwork Orange and Paths of Glory
8 - Spartacus, The Shining, The Killing, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut
7 - Barry Lyndon, Lolita. Killers Kiss

Not a bad movie in there over a 44 year span.

Incredible.
Rob

Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:08 am
Hey, Patrick, just outta curiosity - how do you figure Strangelove as Kubrick's "bravest" movie?

Anyway, this is how I'd rank and grade what I've seen...

The Killing, A-
Paths of Glory, A-
Eyes Wide Shut, B+
Strangelove, B+
2001, B+
Full Metal Jacket, B
A Clockwork Orange, B
The Shining, C+ (but an A for Nicholson)
Lolita, C+
Spartacus, C

Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:09 am
Kyle wrote:
Hey, Patrick, just outta curiosity - how do you figure Strangelove as Kubrick's "bravest" movie?

Making Mutually Assured Destruction funny.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:49 am
Full Metal Jacket

greatest war movie ever...I dont care what anyone says about the 'two halves'...they are both equally masterful

(and it's far better than Platoon)

Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:32 pm
PR0METHEU5 wrote:
Full Metal Jacket

greatest war movie ever...I dont care what anyone says about the 'two halves'...they are both equally masterful

I went to the British premiere in the presence of SK. An awesome cinematic moment.
Though the great man seemed very uncomfortable with all the adulation.
Rob

Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:18 pm
Patrick wrote:
I'm going with Dr. Strangelove. It's the most fun of his movies, it's the bravest movie Kubrick has made and George C. Scott in Strangelove is my favorite Kubrick performance.

What can be braver than stretching and indeed changing the very standard of motion picture narrative? 2001, in addition to being arguably better than Dr. Strangelove, is the biggest risk Stanley Kubrick ever took, which is a good argument for riskiest of all time (it's in the top 5, if anyone ever chose to compile one).

PR0METHEU5 wrote:
Full Metal Jacket

'Full Metal Jacket' is a great example to me of a good war film that simply folds in greater company. It's a shame that, even if Kubrick was the superior of Coppola, Cimino, and Stone, that he fell so far behind them when making his Vietnam war film. Worst of all is the point in the film where Kubrick plays rockin' 50's tunes while tanks are churning; such obvious juxtaposition is a heart-breaking let down for him. 'Paths Of Glory', one of the best war films ever made and Kubrick's best in the genre, spit in the face of convention with devastating results. 'Full Metal Jacket' will always have it's cadre of supporters who claim it's a great film - just like there will always be people who think the Imdb Top 250 is an objectively accurate list of the best films of all time. Some things can't be helped.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:54 pm
A Clockwork Orange.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:24 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Patrick wrote:

What can be braver than stretching and indeed changing the very standard of motion picture narrative? 2001, in addition to being arguably better than Dr. Strangelove, is the biggest risk Stanley Kubrick ever took, which is a good argument for riskiest of all time (it's in the top 5, if anyone ever chose to compile one).

PR0METHEU5 wrote:
Full Metal Jacket

'Full Metal Jacket' is a great example to me of a good war film that simply folds in greater company. It's a shame that, even if Kubrick was the superior of Coppola, Cimino, and Stone, that he fell so far behind them when making his Vietnam war film. Worst of all is the point in the film where Kubrick plays rockin' 50's tunes while tanks are churning; such obvious juxtaposition is a heart-breaking let down for him. 'Paths Of Glory', one of the best war films ever made and Kubrick's best in the genre, spit in the face of convention with devastating results. 'Full Metal Jacket' will always have it's cadre of supporters who claim it's a great film - just like there will always be people who think the Imdb Top 250 is an objectively accurate list of the best films of all time. Some things can't be helped.

Could not have said it better myself

In fact i would argue that along with 2001, Clockwork Orange and Lolita are both braver than Dr S

I love Kubrick, but FMJ would not be in the top ten greatest war movies

Well put
Rob

Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:42 pm
2001 for me, without a doubt.

Technical and artistic perfection combine to form one of the most awe-inspiring films I've ever experienced. Whenever explaining why Stanley Kubrick is possibly my favorite director of all time, this film invariably comes up; there's not a single movie I know of that can match its scope and ambition.

If only I could see it on the big screen. :(

Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:57 am
I'm surprised there aren't any votes for A Clockwork Orange. I'm also surprised at the amount of support behind 2001: A Space Odyssey. Technical mastery aside, I thought more people would find it pretentious and maddening. I'm glad to see that's not the case. 2001's my favorite (in case you couldn't decode that from my signature), but Dr. Strangelove's pretty highly ranked in my book, too. It's one of the funniest movies ever made and it's held up incredibly well give than it's, what, fortysomeodd years old?

And I'm sorry, but Full Metal Jacket is not the best war movie ever. I can't argue against someone claiming it being their favorite, but it's not the best. Not even close.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:41 am
Robert Holloway wrote:

In fact i would argue that along with 2001, Clockwork Orange and Lolita are both braver than Dr S

Well put
Rob

Absolutely, there is an entire group of Kubrick films which can be called daring; even more compelling arguments abound for 'Barry Lyndon', which, following 'A Clockwork Orange', probably seemed like career suicide, or the aformentioned 'Paths Of Glory', which was unremittingly bleak and unwilling to uncompromise - traits shared by few American films in 1957 (never minding that it openly criticized existing nations without relief).

That daring, as well as his technical brilliance, is a good part of the reason why Stanley Kubrick is my unquestioned selection for both favorite and best director of all time.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:55 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Well put
Rob

Absolutely, there is an entire group of Kubrick films which can be called daring; even more compelling arguments abound for 'Barry Lyndon', which, following 'A Clockwork Orange', probably seemed like career suicide, or the aformentioned 'Paths Of Glory', which was unremittingly bleak and unwilling to uncompromise - traits shared by few American films in 1957 (never minding that it openly criticized existing nations without relief).

That daring, as well as his technical brilliance, is a good part of the reason why Stanley Kubrick is my unquestioned selection for both favorite and best director of all time.

Yeah, Kubrick was certainly daring. I cannot imagine how he would have managed without the the unquestioning support of Warner Bros.

We owe them alot for that.

By the way " Stanley Kubrick : A Life in Pictures" is worth a watch if you're curious bout SK.

Rob

Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:31 am
I've given 10's to both 2001 and A Clockwork Orange, but overall I have a slight preference for Alex and the gang. It's also really quotable. I don't know if that's due to Anthony Burgess or Stanley Kubrick, but I'm not sure I care. To me this is a perfect movie.

It's a pity that many people like it but don't fully understand it. Pretty much the same happened decades later with Fight Club.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm
it's gotta be 2001 or a clockwork orange.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 pm
moulton4 wrote:

Hi Moulton4
Always nice to see you round here :-)
Rob

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:59 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
moulton4 wrote:

Hi Moulton4
Always nice to see you round here :-)
Rob

Yeah...where have you been?

Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:06 pm
Cinematographer

Whenever I try to decide between Kubrick's films, I always think about A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, 2001... then I remember that he made Dr. Strangelove. Game over.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:16 am
I have seen Barry Lyndon three times and it's gone from hated bore to much admired

I'd love to know who vote for it and here their thoughts as to why.

Rob

Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:57 am