Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:35 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Wrestler? 
Post The Wrestler?
How the hell was this not nominated for Best Picture this year? It baffles my mind.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:46 am
Post Re: The Wrestler?
I so want to see this movie ... but I live in rural southern Indiana and can't get anywhere close to somewhere showing it. I'm hoping that when it rachets down its run, our little local theater could score a copy. I played the trailer for the owner, and he agrees this would be a good pick for this region, if we did a good job of promoting it's showing ... maybe as a late-evening-only film.

Seriously though ... based on what I've seen, this is almost guaranteed to become one of my favorites. It has everything I look for in a great actor's film.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:16 am
They needed a lifetime moment of truth movie to round out the line-up, so they went with the Reader instead.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:50 am
It wasn't nominated for Best Picture because it just didn't feel like a Best Picture candidate. It's bleak in a way the Academy's not used to, it's not as cinematic as it could be, it's a slice-of-lice movie, and Darren Aronofsky must've said something bad about AMPAS at some point or something. They seem to have it in for the poor guy. On the bright side, The Wrestler is a film that's going to be appreciated a lot more in the coming years and we still have many more works of art to expect from Darren.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:07 am
The Wrestler was a great film, one of the best I've seen this year. But we all know that the Oscars are not really about which films are the best. There is a political element to who gets nominated. Then there is a lot of bias regarding genre and subject matter. I think the fact that the film was centered around a subject as unusual as pro-wrestling hurt its chances.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:24 am
I think it should have gotten a best director nomination at least.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:36 am
I am not sure that The Wrestler deserved a nomination. Its scope is relatively limited - it is a well-executed but fairly conventional sports film. Admittedly, its tone and bleak conclusion set it apart from other, similar films, but I don't think that is sufficient to elevate it to a Best Picture contender. Many more ambitious, innovative films were released this year (and two obvious choices were not nominated for Best Picture, Wall-E and DK). Is The Wrestler a good film? Sure. Can it really stand against the big boys*? I don't think so.

* Ignoring The Reader - oi

Last edited by Adam on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:20 pm
and on it goes...

If life is like a box of special effects you'll get some Oscars. Simple is as simple does :-)

but if life is gray, sad, dark or fantastic you'll sit on that bench wondering what happened

the oscars were never meant to be anything more than a glorified, televised beauty pageant.

Hell, I don't care about Danny Boyle or that Slumdog movie. I want to know what * Meryl Strepsil, Ikea Knightley, Bonio, Brangelina, Huge Action and Uma Thigsten are wearing on Sunday night.

Regards
Rob

* Thanks to Mark Kermode for these nick names. My personal favorite Gerard Did a pas de deux won't likely be at the show.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:32 pm
SilverDrake11 wrote:
How the hell was this not nominated for Best Picture this year? It baffles my mind.

It probably wasn't seen enough to secure the nomination; either that, or it just didn't have popular sway with the Academy, for whom looking impressive comes first and actually being impressive is a distant second.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:49 pm
I can't believe that The Reader got nominated while The Wrestler did not. Also, it's bad enough that it didn't get nominated for BP, but how did they snub Bruce Springsteen for his awesome song?

If Mickey Rourke doesn't win, I am going to be outraged.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:01 pm
etifupleez wrote:

You may wanna prepare to be outraged, then. I think he stands a good chance, but it still feels tantamount to just flipping a coin between him and Penn. Call it, friendo.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:39 pm
robhumanick wrote:
etifupleez wrote:

You may wanna prepare to be outraged, then. I think he stands a good chance, but it still feels tantamount to just flipping a coin between him and Penn. Call it, friendo.

I have Rourke. Out of the nominations for BP, I want Milk to win, though... Slumdog was good, but Milk was chilling.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:41 pm
I think Sean Penn will win even though Rourke is the Heavy Favorite..I just don't think The Academy will feel "comfortable" giving a guy with Rourke's Reputation a Satue....very similar to a few years back when Eddie Murphy was a heavy favorite for Dreamgirls and lost.....I think they will just feel more safe giving it to one of their own liberal elite guys like Penn....hope I am wrong cause Rourke's Performance was much better than Penn's IMO

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:10 pm
Freeze Gopher wrote:
I think Sean Penn will win even though Rourke is the Heavy Favorite..I just don't think The Academy will feel "comfortable" giving a guy with Rourke's Reputation a Satue....very similar to a few years back when Eddie Murphy was a heavy favorite for Dreamgirls and lost.....I think they will just feel more safe giving it to one of their own liberal elite guys like Penn....hope I am wrong cause Rourke's Performance was much better than Penn's IMO

Eddie Murphy had Norbit killing his chances than his rep since he's the family man now.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:14 pm
Patrick wrote:
Freeze Gopher wrote:

Eddie Murphy had Norbit killing his chances than his rep since he's the family man now.

:D ....Anybody that makes movies like Norbit and Meet Dave does not ever deserve an Oscar!!..LOL..In all seriousness though I actually liked Arkin better in LMS than the Eddie Murphy Song and Dance Routine that he had done 20 years earlier as Velvet Jones on SNL

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:21 pm
I absolutely loved "The Wrestler", and in my opinion, Rourke must have a really strong chance of taking home the Oscar. His performance was tremendous, and he drew me into the narrative, from the very first scene. The story itself was simple, but the acting definately made the movie. I haven't seen a better performance than's Rourke's all year. He's got my vote.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:38 am
I can't speak for the Reader, but I felt that the Wrestler was stronger than both Benjamin Button and Frost/Nixon and comparable with Milk and Slumdog, so I was a little downcast when it wasn't nominated at all (to the extent that I can get disappointed at Oscar snubs).

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:00 pm
I thought revolutionary road should have been nominated. The acting was unreal and the fighting scenes gave me goosebumps.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:22 pm
I agree with the OP... This film was amazing, I loved it.. I think it deserved the nomination over The Reader in both Best Picture and Best Director categories.. I also think Revolutionary Road should have been nominated for Best Picture (probably in place of Frost/Nixon) and Kate and Leo should have been nominated as well, but at least I understand why that one was overlooked, even if I don't agree.. It is a bleak film..

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:52 pm
There is no good answer why The Wrestler wasn't nominated for best picture, except for the obligatory "The Oscars have no idea what they're doing" comment.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:07 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next