Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:59 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15026 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 752  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
DylnFan96818 wrote:
Eastern Promises - pretty straight forward film considering it comes from David Cronenberg. Naomi Watts helps delivers a baby from a teen who dies during the birth, finds her diary, and sets out to find the truth about he life. She gets involved with the Russian mob as a reuslt. Really surprised that Viggo Mortensen received a Best Actor Oscar nomination for this. If anyone here deserved one, it should have been Armin Mueller-Stahl as the family patriarch; also thought Vincent Cassel did a very goob job as Kiril.

Weird that the Russians ere played by an American (or is Viggo Mortensen Scandinavian?), a German and a Frenchman. Are there no Russian actors who speak decent English?

Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:46 am
Hangover. I didn't like it. It was just OK and I was expecting something a lot better.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:59 am
After watching Klute I think that it's somewhat overrated. I can only attribute Jane Fonda's Oscar for this movie to the fact that the Academy likes to bestow the award on actresses who play hookers. 6/10.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:57 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:

One day Patrick you will get out of bed in the morning ...

you'll realize that your most valuable asset is time

That's right - time, not money

It's the only thing we know that we will never have an infinite amount of

It struck me about 3 years ago, but I'm 51

Rob

Well somebody has to be the arch-nemesis to you and your great movies. Might as well be me and my crappy movies.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:09 pm
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

One day Patrick you will get out of bed in the morning ...

you'll realize that your most valuable asset is time

That's right - time, not money

It's the only thing we know that we will never have an infinite amount of

It struck me about 3 years ago, but I'm 51

Rob

Well somebody has to be the arch-nemesis to you and your great movies. Might as well be me and my crappy movies.

I love your sense of humour. This made me laugh out loud

I have visions of you in a cape standing proud over a pile of crappy movies

Rob

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:35 pm
Bubba Ho-Tep

This movie's got a great concept: Elvis and a black JFK team up to destroy a soul-sucking mummy at nursery home. It's not as awesome as it should be but there is enough good for it to be worth a look. Bruce Campbell and Ossie Davis are awesome, one Bubba Ho-Tep scene is quite good and it is funny.

But the flaws just make it good movie, not a great one. It takes 10 minutes for it get going and it's a not very good first 10 minutes, the Elvis hair and make-up is horribly inconsistent between shots, and it could've used some tightening up despite it's already short running time.

7/10

PS: Thank you major.

PPS: This should've been a Robots review. But no, the DVD I rented from the library was corrupted 30 minutes in...sigh.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:27 pm
Patrick wrote:
Bubba Ho-Tep

This movie's got a great concept: Elvis and a black JFK team up to destroy a soul-sucking mummy at nursery home. It's not as awesome as it should be but there is enough good for it to be worth a look. Bruce Campbell and Ossie Davis are awesome, one Bubba Ho-Tep scene is quite good and it is funny.

But the flaws just make it good movie, not a great one. It takes 10 minutes for it get going and it's a not very good first 10 minutes, the Elvis hair and make-up is horribly inconsistent between shots, and it could've used some tightening up despite it's already short running time.

7/10

PPS: This should've been a Robots review. But no, the DVD I rented from the library was corrupted 30 minutes in...sigh.

Seen it about 5 times. A fave from the last ten years.
Rob

Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:34 pm
Bubba Ho-Tep, goofy as it is, is sneakily maybe one of the five or so most profoundly sad movies about getting old I've seen. It's kind of a bummer that it's been shunted off into the "cult film" bins of the world, because I think if you can get past the premise, you'll see a movie that could resonate with a much wider audience than it's been playing to

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:12 pm
The Ugly Truth
Well the truth about this movie is that it's not all that interesting. It fell short or being a quality romantic comedy by quite a margin and really isn't worth anyone's time. It was meant to shock at least a little with an R rating and a bunch of F bombs. But in the end, it was just humorless. It goes to show that just cause Katherine Heigl can curse and her co-stars can be crude, it doesn't mean the film will be any good. Certain language is a part of many people's everyday life. It certainly is part of mine at times and when a film uses it within the course of normal life, it is fitting and to me at least, not offensive. However in this film it felt like they were trying to make an "edgy rom com". I can just hear the pitch now as a new type of romantic comedy in the vain of Knocked Up. Yea, well it sucked. even the lines that may have been funny fell flat with the rigid actors. This one is definitely a miss. 3/10

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:47 pm
"To Have And Have Not", Humphrey Bogart/Lauren Bacall. Late at night, kids asleep, over a good wine with the wife.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:50 pm
Ivy Mike wrote:
"To Have And Have Not", Humphrey Bogart/Lauren Bacall. Late at night, kids asleep, over a good wine with the wife.

Hi Ivy Mike

Did you like it?

The danger of kids asleep and wine - falling asleep in the movie :-)

Rob

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:33 am
Steamboat Bill, Jr.

This film starts off a bit slower than other Keaton movies like The General or Our Hospitality, but it has an absolutely fantastic final act. The storm provides some of the best sight gags I've seen in a long time, of course always anchored by Buster Keaton's incredible physical aptitude. I've yet to see a film of his that I haven't loved.

****/****

Last edited by GunBehindTheToilet on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:59 am
Patrick wrote:
Bubba Ho-Tep

7/10

Patrick? ........Patrick?......Bruce Campbell is....in....this.....film (movie).......7/10?

Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:24 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Bubba Ho-Tep

7/10

Seen it about 5 times. A fave from the last ten years.
Rob

Oh, Bubba Ho Tep. The movie so very nice that I very accidentally purchased it twice.

A favorite of mine as well not in spite of the inconsistent makeup and shoddy effects but because of them.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:52 am
Martin Scorsese/Gwen Stefani's The Aviator. It was okay.

I've got the same complaint about the not-quite-mediocre The Aviator that I had about the should-have-been-great Gangs of New York: Scorsese is telling a story in three hours that he should have told in no less than six. The Aviator acts as a survey of Howard Hughes and, as such, scraps untold interesting details in favor of some outstanding effects and potboiler courtroom antics. It isn't a particularly good movie and this is a shame: there are some great performances in this one. But, performances aside, The Aviator feels cobbled together like a greatest hits package and doesn't interest itself with anything other than what could pass for a decent Disease of the Week picture. It's all spectacle and high drama -- this story deserves to be told slightly muted by a filmmaker that isn't as obsessed with the small, meaningless details as Howard Hughes would have been. Irony.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:00 am
Taken aka 96 hours
Action thriller starring Liam Neeson, written and produced by Luc Besson. Ex-CIA spy's daughter is abducted on holidays in Paris, prompting said CIA agent to kick, chop, stab and shoot his way through an Albanian human trafficking organisation killing dozens of people.
This works quite well as a (very) preposterous action film and Liam Neeson is unexpectedly good as an action hzero, but I have issues with the outlook on the world shining through: Basically, outside the U.S., the world is dangerous and full of Johnny Foreigners. Unless you have extensive combat training, travelling is not recommended. Particularly crisis hotspot Paris is full of shifty French people who cannot be trusted and even more insidious dark foreigners from Muslim countries and/or eastern Europe, who will abduct virginal American tourists right at the airport for their nefarious purposes. This movie is borderline racist.
I'm also tired of the action film clichee, that the abduction of a daughter (or murder of a son - in order to provide motivation for action movie heroes, son's are murdered, but daughters are merely abducted) provides license to commit all kinds of atrocities including torture.
And whatever happened to Luc Besson. I seem to remember that he once made a quite lovely film called The Big Blue about a romantic triangle involving divers. These days, all he's doing is producing Euro action movies.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:58 am
Unke wrote:
Taken aka 96 hours
Action thriller starring Liam Neeson, written and produced by Luc Besson. Ex-CIA spy's daughter is abducted on holidays in Paris, prompting said CIA agent to kick, chop, stab and shoot his way through an Albanian human trafficking organisation killing dozens of people.
This works quite well as a (very) preposterous action film and Liam Neeson is unexpectedly good as an action hzero, but I have issues with the outlook on the world shining through: Basically, outside the U.S., the world is dangerous and full of Johnny Foreigners. Unless you have extensive combat training, travelling is not recommended. Particularly crisis hotspot Paris is full of shifty French people who cannot be trusted and even more insidious dark foreigners from Muslim countries and/or eastern Europe, who will abduct virginal American tourists right at the airport for their nefarious purposes. This movie is borderline racist.
I'm also tired of the action film clichee, that the abduction of a daughter (or murder of a son - in order to provide motivation for action movie heroes, son's are murdered, but daughters are merely abducted) provides license to commit all kinds of atrocities including torture.
And whatever happened to Luc Besson. I seem to remember that he once made a quite lovely film called The Big Blue about a romantic triangle involving divers. These days, all he's doing is producing Euro action movies.

Well all cliches are based osmewhat off reality, and your not supposed to take this sort of thing seriously, action movies are rarely known for having three dimensional characters, and people like that really DO exist in real life, so it's hardly what i'd call racist, and you can't expect people are every culture/race/nationality to NOT be portrayed as evil in at least SOME movies, it's just a fact and It hink you're reading a little bit TOO much into it, as for the kidnapped cliche, that dosne't really bother me at all.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:12 pm
Director

Casablanca (**** out of ****) - Classic story involving a bar owner (Humphrey Bogart) who by chance runs into his ex-lover (Ingrid Bergman) during the early days of WWII. Probably one of the easiest four star ratings I've given to a film, everything is perfect. The acting by Bogart, Bergman, and Paul Henreid, the rousing score, the precise pacing of the piece, and the last ten minutes. I haven't seen a ton of old classic movies in my lifetime, but this, along with Humphrey Bogart, gave me a good reason to check more out.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
In the Loop
This is about as smart and funny a film as we are likely to find in theaters this year. The dialogue is fast paced and very quick witted in this look at the US and British governments on the precipice of going to war. The focus is on the internal game playing going on between parties and the general lack of any of them to play those games very well. It is funny, timely and well worth checking out. 8/10

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:53 pm
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Still the best Trek film.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:09 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15026 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 752  Next