Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:56 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Poll #10: Video Game Movies 

What's your favorite video game movie?
Super Mario Brothers 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Double Dragon 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Street Fighter 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Mortal Kombat 35%  35%  [ 8 ]
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Tomb Raider 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Resident Evil 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Resident Evil: Apocalypse 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Resident Evil: Extinction 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Doom 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Silent Hill 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
DOA 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Max Payne 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hitman 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23

Poll #10: Video Game Movies 
Author Message
Post Poll #10: Video Game Movies
I'm doing a film-related poll again, hooray! Now we all know that video game movies usually suck....so I'm asking you to dig deep into nostalgia or your fun-side of movie watching and tell me which of these are your favorite video game movie.

Oh, and you might notice the lack of Uwe Boll.....he's next week. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:


Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:54 am
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
My pick is Mortal Kombat. It honors the game the best, it has Christopher Lambert in it as Raiden and it has the best one-liners of all video game movies, even though Street Fighter is a close second.


Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:57 am
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
I thought the sequence in Doom where it switches to first person shooter view, was, I dunno....neat...original? But overall, I'm going to go with Silent Hill. I think it succedded at pulling off a genuinely...creepy atmosphere, with all the falling ash and what not. The plot was a bit thin but is based on a video game, after all. The Pyramid Head dude was great. I hated the Tomb Raider films and the R.E films as well. A close second to Silent Hill would have to be The Spirits Within. The animation was top notch and the story was engaging too.


Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:39 am
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
A vote for Final Fantasy here. Supposedly it didn't have much to do with the actual game, but that might be a strength. Silent Hill and Mortal Kombat are close seconds. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was awful though. I see that one person disagrees with me.


Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:59 am
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1482
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
Anyone who thinks mortal kombat:2 is a good movie, needs to go to the looney bin. That movie makes Batamn and Robin look like Goldfinger.


Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:43 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
corpen11 wrote:
Anyone who thinks mortal kombat:2 is a good movie, needs to go to the looney bin. That movie makes Batamn and Robin look like Goldfinger.

Yeah that was me, and yeah I liked it but so what? What the hell do you care? Maybe I like it because of my Aspberger's, but still that dosne't mean your stupid "loony bin" comment was justified at all! It always irritates the hlel out of me when people call me crazy just for liking a film that most people hate! :evil: and I never saw either Batman And Robin or Goldfinger, so I can't make comparisons to those either.


Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:12 pm
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
Vexer wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
Anyone who thinks mortal kombat:2 is a good movie, needs to go to the looney bin. That movie makes Batamn and Robin look like Goldfinger.

Yeah that was me, and yeah I liked it but so what? What the hell do you care? Maybe I like it because of my Aspberger's, but still that dosne't mean your stupid "loony bin" comment was justified at all! It always irritates the hlel out of me when people call me crazy just for liking a film that most people hate! :evil: and I never saw either Batman And Robin or Goldfinger, so I can't make comparisons to those either.


[monotone]Oh no....I am shocked by this revelation...shocked by this shocking swerve...gasp[/monotone]

Any of you are actually shocked by this? I am shocked that I would think that you were a Street Fighter guy Vexer...but not shocked that you chose MK:A


Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:16 pm
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
Anyone who thinks mortal kombat:2 is a good movie, needs to go to the looney bin. That movie makes Batamn and Robin look like Goldfinger.

Yeah that was me, and yeah I liked it but so what? What the hell do you care? Maybe I like it because of my Aspberger's, but still that dosne't mean your stupid "loony bin" comment was justified at all! It always irritates the hlel out of me when people call me crazy just for liking a film that most people hate! :evil: and I never saw either Batman And Robin or Goldfinger, so I can't make comparisons to those either.


[monotone]Oh no....I am shocked by this revelation...shocked by this shocking swerve...gasp[/monotone]

Any of you are actually shocked by this? I am shocked that I would think that you were a Street Fighter guy Vexer...but not shocked that you chose MK:A
Well I was sorta torn between MK:A and RE:Apocalypse.


Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:39 pm
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
Well I think that's a pretty good indicator of the general quality of video game films...yikes...it was more a matter of picking the 'least bad' one...

...i picked the second resident evil...guilty diversion...I'm sure my pick woulf be F.F but I havent gotten around to seeing it yet.


Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:13 pm
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
I'm in agreement with Patrick. Mortal Kombat honors the game best, which may not necessarily make for a great movie. However, it makes for a decently over-the-top movie, which is totally what the video game is. But WHO'S IDEA was it to make it PG-13?


Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:19 pm
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1482
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
Mortal Kombat is second on this list, after that, it's a toss up of what you prefer.


Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:04 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
corpen11 wrote:
Mortal Kombat is second on this list, after that, it's a toss up of what you prefer.


Considering this is asking what your favorite video game movie is, I'm pretty sure the entire thing is a toss up of what you prefer.

My vote also goes for Mortal Kombat for reasons Patrick and Pedro have already expounded upon. Silent Hill would be second, but I prefer the over-the-top tone of MK. It's a fun movie. I know I'm probably alone, and I know it wasn't very good, but did anyone else watch the weekly MK series that aired on TNT a while back? I think it was in the late 90s or very early 00s. I loved it for reasons I am unable to explain.


Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:54 pm
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
PeachyPete wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
Mortal Kombat is second on this list, after that, it's a toss up of what you prefer.


Considering this is asking what your favorite video game movie is, I'm pretty sure the entire thing is a toss up of what you prefer.

My vote also goes for Mortal Kombat for reasons Patrick and Pedro have already expounded upon. Silent Hill would be second, but I prefer the over-the-top tone of MK. It's a fun movie. I know I'm probably alone, and I know it wasn't very good, but did anyone else watch the weekly MK series that aired on TNT a while back? I think it was in the late 90s or very early 00s. I loved it for reasons I am unable to explain.


The animated one? I watched that...don't remember anything about it but I know I watched it. If you talking about the other MK series, then I didn't see it.


Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:52 pm
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
Hi patrick

What a miserable genre it is :-(

I voted for Womb Raider

Can I suggest Poll 11?
Favorite Paul Thomas Anderson movie
Magnolia, Boogie Nights, Punch Drunk Love, there will be Votes

Rob


Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:24 pm
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi patrick

What a miserable genre it is :-(

I voted for Womb Raider

Can I suggest Poll 11?
Favorite Paul Thomas Anderson movie
Magnolia, Boogie Nights, Punch Drunk Love, there will be Votes

Rob


You thought I was kidding when I said Boll was next week?

But don't worry, I'll showcase good things, probably movies, after Boll.


Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:29 pm
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
I voted Mortal Kombat as well. I would have voted for FFVII: Advent Children if it was put on the list though.


Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:35 pm
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi patrick

What a miserable genre it is :-(

I voted for Womb Raider

Can I suggest Poll 11?
Favorite Paul Thomas Anderson movie
Magnolia, Boogie Nights, Punch Drunk Love, there will be Votes

Rob


Yeah! Good idea. I've only seen Silent Hill and I wouldn't go so far as to say it was good. It wasn't terrible. I'll vote for it.


Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:16 pm
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
Out of all of these...I've only seen Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider.

I don't feel I have enough to cast a vote...never been driven to see these films.


Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:38 pm
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
Street Fighter was the shit back when I was 10 so I'm going with that. I don't care what anyone says, "change the channel" is still funny as hell.


Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:44 pm
Post Re: Poll #10: Video Game Movies
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi patrick

What a miserable genre it is :-(

I voted for Womb Raider

Can I suggest Poll 11?
Favorite Paul Thomas Anderson movie
Magnolia, Boogie Nights, Punch Drunk Love, there will be Votes

Rob


It would be a pity if there is any truth to the idea that having a poll discourages further discussion because PTA deserves a nice long thread.


Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:19 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr