Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:45 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Best Decade... 
Post Re: Best Decade...
Robert Holloway wrote:
I am on a roll.

We each submit a movie from the decade and make a case in under 200 words for why it's great. the members decide

First to reach ten wins

I'm curious on this one but think that the yonger gae of our membership will favor the eighties versus an older decade which I will represent

Whaddya think?

Rob

Why do I feel like a tourist walking up to a poker table?

I'm game. My only problem is time--if you don't mind this dragging out a little bit, I'm happy to get my butt handed to me for all to see.

How you want to do this thing?

Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:05 pm
Unke wrote:

In addition to the films listed by Tuco, I would add the following 80ies films, which could qualify as great films:

Quote:
Fitzcarraldo (1982)- Werner Herzog drags a real ship (and Klaus Kinski) over a mountain and through rapids in the Amazonian Jungle. If this isn't a great film I don't know what constitites one.

I have to agree that this a great movie. No issue there. people may not always like it, but I think most would agree that it's a great achievement. The documentary on this film is splendid.

[
Quote:
b]Quest for Fire/La Guerre du Feu (1982)[/b] - highly underrated film by Jean-Jacques Annaud about three Neanderthals on, well, a quest for fire. Anthony Burgess developed primitive languages specifically for the film. Best depiction of a stone age world in the movies and simply unique.

A great movie? One to sit on the all time pantheon of filmic achievements? Nope. I'd challenge you on this one and say it's interesting and very worthwhile. but not great

Quote:
Scarface (1983) - Arguably Brian de Palma's best film and one of Al Pacinos best (if over the top) performances. Could qualify as a great film because of its influence on the genre and wider culture (gangster rap).

I really like this film, but i think it struggles to be considered an all time great movie.

Quote:
Birdy (1984) - Alan Parker film featuring a young Nicholas Cage and great music by Peter Gabriel. Extremely underrated.

Sorry, this is a very good film by Alan Parker. But does it really class as a great movie?

Quote:
This is Spinal Tap (1984) - The first "Mockumentary" and a classic parody of "Rockumentaries".

Ok, not a favorite but it's a classic.

Quote:
Blue Velvet (1986) - Love it or hate it, it's a must see for filmbuffs. Arguably David Lynch's finest film.

Hard to argue here as it's so innovative. Probably the most representative film of David Lynch.

Quote:
The Last Emperor (1987) - Bernardo Bertolucci's biopic about the last emperor of China is one of the best epics ever made and the first (Western) film made in the Forbidden City in Beijing.

Once again, I'd argue that this is a very good film. For me a film should have a case to be in the top 2-300 of all time to be considered great.

Quote:
Akira (1988) - The best Anime ever, a milestone in animated films by Master Katsuhiro Otomo. Any lover of animation must watch is.

I keep trying to love this genre as I'm a huge fan of animation. I'd agree with you here. Even if it's not a personal taste.

Quote:
I think the 80ies have a bad reputation because most mainstream Hollywood fare was rubbish. But let's face it - nobody remembers the rubbish films made in the 40ies or 50ies anymore. And if you take foreign and indie films (oh,. forgot Jim Jarmusch's films) into account, the 80ies were actually quite good. If action and horror films can be considered great (I think they can), there's even more - Terminator, The Thing or Die Hard come to minc.

I may have messed up on the quotes here in my effort to put comments within the the body. Sorry
Rob

Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:16 pm
Tuco wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
I am on a roll.

We each submit a movie from the decade and make a case in under 200 words for why it's great. the members decide

First to reach ten wins

I'm curious on this one but think that the yonger gae of our membership will favor the eighties versus an older decade which I will represent

Whaddya think?

Rob

Why do I feel like a tourist walking up to a poker table?

I'm game. My only problem is time--if you don't mind this dragging out a little bit, I'm happy to get my butt handed to me for all to see.

How you want to do this thing?

Hi Tuco

I'd suggest that we each choose a film from our decade and allow the group to vote on which has the higher right to be called a classic. With each film we should attach a brief case for the defense - not more than say 200 words. We can PM each other to find a day to start. i agree that this won't be completed in a week.

I don't see it as a serious competition, just a bit of fun to discuss two different eras.

PM me and lets' talk off line - could be fun

Rob

Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:23 pm
Unke wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
For debating purposes - anyone want to try and propose the eighties as a great decade?

Rob

In addition to the films listed by Tuco, I would add the following 80ies films, which could qualify as great films:

Fitzcarraldo (1982)- Werner Herzog drags a real ship (and Klaus Kinski) over a mountain and through rapids in the Amazonian Jungle. If this isn't a great film I don't know what constitites one.

Great film, although I think it actually gets partly nulled by the fact that the 70's had arguably up to three or four superior releases by Herzog.

Quest for Fire/La Guerre du Feu (1982) - highly underrated film by Jean-Jacques Annaud about three Neanderthals on, well, a quest for fire. Anthony Burgess developed primitive languages specifically for the film. Best depiction of a stone age world in the movies and simply unique.

Extremely unique film, but not an unqualified success. I give it endless credit for what it attempted to do, however - I admire it much more than I 'like' it.

Scarface (1983) - Arguably Brian de Palma's best film and one of Al Pacinos best (if over the top) performances. Could qualify as a great film because of its influence on the genre and wider culture (gangster rap).

I actually love this film, although when compared to the 70's Godfather (I and II) and the 90's Goodfellas, it comes up very short.

Birdy (1984) - Alan Parker film featuring a young Nicholas Cage and great music by Peter Gabriel. Extremely underrated.

Alan Parker made many better films, including my near-Top 100 'Midnight Express', which despite it's flaws has the greatest courtroom speech of all time.

This is Spinal Tap (1984) - The first "Mockumentary" and a classic parody of "Rockumentaries".

Great film. No argument from me.

Blue Velvet (1986) - Love it or hate it, it's a must see for filmbuffs. Arguably David Lynch's finest film.

Same as with Spinal Tap. Genuine classic.

The Last Emperor (1987) - Bernardo Bertolucci's biopic about the last emperor of China is one of the best epics ever made and the first (Western) film made in the Forbidden City in Beijing.

Overlong and emotionally detached, despite being undeniably well-made. What else would you expect from a Best Picture winner?

Akira (1988) - The best Anime ever, a milestone in animated films by Master Katsuhiro Otomo. Any lover of animation must watch is.

Good film, but it wears with it's complete lack of subtlety. Every scene is in overdrive. I say the best animated film from 1988 (and best anime all-time) is 'Grave Of The Fireflies' (I know Tucos mentioned it, but I really need to praise this film whenever possible), and 'Princess Mononke' brought anime ever farther than 'Akira' did in the 90's.

I think the 80ies have a bad reputation because most mainstream Hollywood fare was rubbish. But let's face it - nobody remembers the rubbish films made in the 40ies or 50ies anymore. And if you take foreign and indie films (oh,. forgot Jim Jarmusch's films) into account, the 80ies were actually quite good. If action and horror films can be considered great (I think they can), there's even more - Terminator, The Thing or Die Hard come to minc.

Last edited by Evenflow8112 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:25 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
I don't see it as a serious competition, just a bit of fun to discuss two different eras.

How about you hit the trail with John Travolta in Perfect with Jamie Lee Curtis. I'll start with Double Indemnity - that sounds like a fair representation of the two eras :-)

PM me and lets' talk off line - could be fun - we'll share the decades

Rob

That said, what I lack in knowledge or eloquence I can often make up via belligerence, so watch out . . . ;)

PM on the way.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:42 pm
Tuco wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

PM me and lets' talk off line - could be fun

Rob

snipped

That said, what I lack in knowledge or eloquence I can often make up via belligerence, so watch out . . . ;)

PM on the way.

Tuco

My PM seems to be failing to send
Did you get the reply?

Rob

Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:49 pm
Maybe Tuco's PM box is full?

I would've defended the 80's manliness cause it is the manliest movie decade ever. I wanna see Citizen Kane kill 50 guys in 30 seconds and then say a manly one-liner.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:53 pm
Patrick wrote:
Maybe Tuco's PM box is full?

I would've defended the 80's manliness cause it is the manliest movie decade ever. I wanna see Citizen Kane kill 50 guys in 30 seconds and then say a manly one-liner.

That's pretty funny. Maybe the first movie to defend from that decade will be 'Raw Deal.' I pretty sure C. F. Kane never used a circular saw blade to mete out justice, either.

Oh, and my PM box isn't full . . . I got the messages. I'll get back to my worthy opponent here shortly.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:26 pm
Scarface is one slick flick, but to me "The Untouchables" is a better 80s De Palma film.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:35 am
Referring to this decade:

Robert Holloway wrote:
But does that make it a strong decade? :-)
Rob

For certain, The Lord Of The Rings trilogy rivals any landmark from the last two decades as far as it's success goes. This has been a good decade, I would place it right ahead of/tied with the 80's and a bit behind the 90's, which is still my favorite decade of the lot, if not the overall best.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:02 pm
Of no comparison, The Godfather Trilogy is the finest trilogy in trilogy history. This trilogy is way better than the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

On another note, almost all sequels or third installment to any movie franchise is either under-par or just as good as the original movie..never better.
I am sad to say, i have yet to see a sequel of anything be better than an original installment...

One more thing, in the history of watching movies i have only seen two remakes top the original it was adapted from..and this was by only some.
These two movies are the Ten Commandments & Ben Hur..

'I wanted to remind people that the lowest types of humanity may have within them the capacity for supreme self-sacrifice. The dwarfed, misshapen beggar of the streets may have the noblest ideals. Most of my roles since The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923/I), such as The Phantom of the Opera (1925), He Who Gets Slapped (1924), The Unholy Three (1925), etc., have carried the theme of self-sacrifice or renunciation. These are the stories which I wish to do.'

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:57 pm
Judah wrote:
Of no comparison, The Godfather Trilogy is the finest trilogy in trilogy history. This trilogy is way better than the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

On another note, almost all sequels or third installment to any movie franchise is either under-par or just as good as the original movie..never better.
I am sad to say, i have yet to see a sequel of anything be better than an original installment...

One more thing, in the history of watching movies i have only seen two remakes top the original it was adapted from..and this was by only some.
These two movies are the Ten Commandments & Ben Hur..

'I wanted to remind people that the lowest types of humanity may have within them the capacity for supreme self-sacrifice. The dwarfed, misshapen beggar of the streets may have the noblest ideals. Most of my roles since The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923/I), such as The Phantom of the Opera (1925), He Who Gets Slapped (1924), The Unholy Three (1925), etc., have carried the theme of self-sacrifice or renunciation. These are the stories which I wish to do.'

There are other remakes that are better than the original...John Carpenter's "The Thing" immediately comes to mind.

The Godfather trilogy can't be better than the Lord of the Rings trilogy. First off, LoTR is one movie split into three parts. Second, are we forgetting the Godfather 3? Solid film, no doubt, but falls way short of the first two.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:37 am
Egads, I know I'm way late to this party, but I've gotta step in and defend the eighties

Most of my personal stone cold favorites are from the 80's. Also, for what it's worth, Berardinelli's top 100 has more films from the 80's than from any other decade. My taste doesn't even really jive all that much any more with JB, but still.
80's - easily the best decade in film in my eyes. Anyway, somebody please argue this with me, because I really feel I can sway your cold, cold heart

Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:07 pm
Director

I'm just eighteen and the 90's were the best.

1990: Goodfellas: One of the best films in recent years with great performances all around. Pesci stole the show and took home the Oscar.

1991: Silence of the Lambs and Beauty and the Beast: Great films in their respective genres, both films redifined how the audience can loved and cherish a film in one year. (Beauty and the Beast could have equally won best picture in 91'

1992: Malcolm X: A film that could be Spike Lee's best. Denzel gives a memerable performance for a person who (literally) fought for civil rights in America. Unforgiven won best picture, but this film had an equal chance for winning also.

1993:Scheindler's list and Philidelphia: Both films tought people how we should love and care for everyone on the earth. People deserves to be treated equally to one another.

1994: Forrest gump and Pulp fiction: Anyone can make a argument the both film have been parodied the most since 94'. Both films gave a lasting impression of how to entertain an audience. Pulp fiction should have won B.P. in 94' but it doesn't matter, P.F. is more beloved niw than it was in the past.

1995:Apollo 13: a story that celebrated the triump of men fighting to live for the country and their loved ones. this was the same year that bought a legnedbacki into the public eyes and we loved him since:James Bond in Goldeneye (Brosnen's best).

1996:Both films may not have been the best of the year, but it shows why then we loved two of the stars in those films. The Nutty Professor has Eddie murphy give a great performence from different characters. I can make the argument he could have earned an oscar nod in 96' . Cuba gooding Jr. gave the best quote in the year, to this day, we still shout it out as if it was 96', Jerry Maguire gave the world a then grest cuba and we thought better days would be for this young man.

1997: this year gave the world the one of the bniggest scre-ups in Oscar history and both films (meaning the winner) would have the burden of winning the Oscar due to a popularity contest. Titanic won what should have been awarded to L.A. confidental, the film that gave the world Guy pierce and Russell Croew, Kevin spacey continued to charm the audience and Kim Basinger returning to movies ang winning a Best supporting Actress. People loved titanic, but the film's writing is weak where L.A. ' writing was superb and that was the film's strength.

1999: One film that could define a generation: The Matrix. Name scenes and moments that have been parodied in pop culture. This became one of the biggest films of the decade and it came out of nowhere.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:12 pm
Profile YIM
No love for 1998 corpen?

Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:30 pm
Cinematographer

According to the cinematic journey list, the '50s have the most entries, including:

Sunset Boulevard - 1950
All About Eve - 1950
Rashomon - 1950
Singin' in the Rain - 1952
Tokyo Story - 1953
The Seven Samurai - 1954
Rear Window - 1954
The Night of the Hunter - 1955
The Searchers - 1956
Wild Strawberries - 1957
Touch of Evil - 1958
Vertigo - 1958
Some Like It Hot - 1959
Rio Bravo - 1959

That's just to name a few from the top 100. Personally though, I like the 1970s. Movies were taking more chances, becoming more risque, and they had emerged from the awkward stylings of the 1960s. And it was before the 1980s, when honestly, there were a lot of bad movies. Even the better ones were still annoying, because, lets face it, it was the '80s. Haha, oh '80s...

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:40 am
Wow, it's nice to reread this old thread. Tuco and I did battle between the forties and 80's. That was also fun.

Ultimately anyone can make a case for any decade they personally love.

So far we have cases for the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and 90's.

My guess is that age is a factor here.

if we were being objective, the best way would be to take the top 1000 list and construct a weighting for each movie (1000 for 1, 999 for , etc) and come up with a decade score. Excel to the rescue maybe

Rob

Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:19 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Wow, it's nice to reread this old thread. Tuco and I did battle between the forties and 80's. That was also fun.

if we were being objective, the best way would be to take the top 1000 list and construct a weighting for each movie (1000 for 1, 999 for , etc) and come up with a decade score. Excel to the rescue maybe

Rob

Just like the guy above you did...the 50's won

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:13 am
Cinematographer

Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Rob

Indeed, then it was the '40s and '60s about tied, then the '30s and '70s, then the '20s and '90s. I was kind of surprised that it was symmetrical like that.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:13 pm
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Rob

Patrick,
Actually no
It's neither mathematically correct or logical to simply count the amount of entries. there needs to be a more rigorous approach if you are going to arrive at a correct answer using this approach.
Rob

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:41 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next