Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:42 am

Pollin' 
Post Pollin'
Is there a reason why users can't create a thread with a poll attached? It seems sorta silly to me to ghettoize the polls into that one subforum and not allow your average, workaday schlub like myself to throw one of their own up in, say, the general film discussion area

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:00 pm
Post Re: Pollin'
That's a very good question....I don't know. I'm sure there was a topic about James enabling polling but I can't find it so maybe it was deleted in The Great Pruning or something.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:10 pm
If I recall correctly, it was a conscious choice by James to not allow users to create polls, ostensibly to avoid creating more threads with short responses and no deep discussion.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:06 am
Trevor wrote:
If I recall correctly, it was a conscious choice by James to not allow users to create polls, ostensibly to avoid creating more threads with short responses and no deep discussion.

And so James should count that as a colossal failure. If he wishes to avoid creating more threads with short responses and no deep discussion he should pack it in and start from scratch.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:52 am
Trevor wrote:

Well, if that were the case, why create an entire subforum dedicated to "lists"?

And anyway I completely disagree with the notion that threads with polls attached would have shorter responses

Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:55 am
Kyle wrote:
Trevor wrote:

Well, if that were the case, why create an entire subforum dedicated to "lists"?

And anyway I completely disagree with the notion that threads with polls attached would have shorter responses

Lists is there because the General Movie section was getting too big to handle without any sub-forums separating things.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:52 pm
Patrick wrote:
Kyle wrote:
Trevor wrote:

Lists is there because the General Movie section was getting too big to handle without any sub-forums separating things.

Plus, segregating List-type of threads does help encourage posters to create threads that will promote more discussion if they want them to remain in the main general movie discussion board.

I agree, not all poll threads would have short responses and could generate discussion. But there is also the possibility of creating more threads just looking for reflex responses, of which we already have many.

And majoraphasia, obviously we're not packing it in quite yet, so it makes sense to do everything we can to promote more discussion (the great movies section being a prime example).

For right now, if someone wants there to be a poll in a thread they created, PM a moderator and we can add one for you if we see fit.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:15 pm