Total votes : 14

Poll #9 Metallica 
Post Poll #9 Metallica
Just to clarify:

Old Metallica - From Kill 'em All to ...And Justice For All
New Metallica - From The Black Album on

Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:53 am
Post Re: Poll #9 Metallica
I'm going with New Metallica for they're not afraid to experiment more and have more interesting music than the old days. Not to knock down the Old Metallica cause they are the masters of thrash, all the songs they did were thrash-y and they did stay in that comfort zone until The Black Album came along.

But St. Anger makes supporting New Metallica VERY difficult.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:56 am
Yeah, St. Anger is by far the abolsute WORST album of all time, I don't think it will ever be topped, and i'm not sure which Metallica I prefer more, both have their good points.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:00 am
3 words - ride the lightning.

shit, a couple more - shouldn't the divide be with load(of shit) rather than the black album?

cuz that one was still something. it had ballads but it still was thrash.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:20 am
This is not even close. I never was one of their biggest fans, but starting with the black album, they lost their edge. The point that they are more willing to experiment now is valid, but that comes at the expense of good songs, unfortunately.

To keep this film-related: Did anybody see "Some Kind of Monster"? This documentary made me appreciate Spinal Tap even more.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:44 am
aameen wrote:

shit, a couple more - shouldn't the divide be with load(of shit) rather than the black album?

3 more: Master of Puppets.

Old Metallica. And it's not even close.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:53 am
I liked the documentary about them in psycho analysis

One of their band bought a house near us and is hated by everyone as he put up a huge iron fence blocking footpaths

Never bought any of the albums

I vote for Zeppelin, Hawkwind, Deep Purple, Early Black Sabbath :-)

Rob

Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:34 pm
aameen wrote:

1. It's the clear dividing line that's agreed upon
2. Nothing Else Mattered had an orchestra...I like that song but The Black Album is the tipping point where they would go full on with Load and the rest.

And no, I haven't seen Some Kind of Monster but I want to.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:05 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:

One of their band bought a house near us and is hated by everyone as he put up a huge iron fence blocking footpaths

Rob

Hawkwind? Don't you mean Motorhead Jr.?

Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:07 pm
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Rob

Hawkwind? Don't you mean Motorhead Jr.?

Funny

You clearly have a great knowledge of British rock

I saw Hawkwind in the early seventies

A great concert! At least, what i can remember :-)

Rob

Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:32 pm
I harbored a grudge against Metallica for years over the whole Napster thing, but giving them a chance some time ago I really, really like "...And Justice For All" along with "Ride the Lightning". I haven't heard their latest album though, so I can't comment on it (although I've heard some pretty good things about it, I'm not in any rush to find out for myself).

Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:10 pm
Old Metallica by about 2 parsecs.

I'm one of the few who thought that new Metallica weren't really that bad, but the gulf between old and new is large indeed.

I don't buy that lack of experimentation thing at all. There is a significant difference between Kill 'Em All and ...And Justice for All. The former is pure thrash metal, the latter is the closest Metallica have come to playing prog-metal.

Little known fact: the "metal" part of my handle is an abbreviation for metallica, my favourite band way back when I created said email address.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:05 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Old Metallica by about 2 parsecs.

I'm one of the few who thought that new Metallica weren't really that bad, but the gulf between old and new is large indeed.

I don't buy that lack of experimentation thing at all. There is a significant difference between Kill 'Em All and ...And Justice for All. The former is pure thrash metal, the latter is the closest Metallica have come to playing prog-metal.

Little known fact: the "metal" part of my handle is an abbreviation for metallica, my favourite band way back when I created said email address.

Ah hah, I'd wondered about that....
but assumed it was a movie reference.
Rob

Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:47 am
I'll preface this post with an admission. I've loved Metallica since I was all of 8 or 9 (around th time when the Black Album was all the rage). I loved the Load albums, I loved Garage Inc. and S&M, and I loved their earlier stuff when I finally grew up enough to discover music made before 1990. Basically, they're my band and I don't think it possible for me to offer much criticism. With that said...

1.) To asnwer the question, duh, it's the earlier stuff. It wasn't just that every album was killer. Nor was it that every song was terrific. It was that every riff was just amazing. That may sound hyperbole but I assure you that before they decided every album had to be 80 minutes long I don't think they wasted a single minute in their first three albums. And Justice for All was terrific though it did start their trend of trying shove just a shade too many riffs into one song. Still, I don't know if I'll ever hear a band that just hits it out on every song like Metallica did in the 80s.

2.) Their stuff post-AJFA gets a completely unfair rap. I'll admit they tweaked their sound in a clear attempt to appeal to a larger audience. However, I agree with Patrick that where most see selling out I see an attempt to mature and branch out. They've never, EVER been content to play the same genre their whole careers. There were calls of sell outs when they released Ride the Lightning which had the slower Fade to Black, all the way back in 84. I see nothing wrong with allowing your music to change as you get older. Trying to write the same songs in your 30s and 40s that you did when you were a punk 22 year old is just a recipe for embarassment. Yes, their newer stuff contains way more filler than the early stuff, but people seem ignore their genuinelly good material because of it. I don't understand why it has to be an either-or type of situation. The early stuff resonates with me more, but I frequently listen to their newer material.

3.) With all that said I admit that Metallica brought a lot of the sellout criticism on themselves by being so anti-mainstream in their attitudes in their heyday. The no music video, no ballad rules created an idealism with their fans that I don't believe ever fully represented the band. You can understand why the band was cautious of being lumped in with the mainstream when the mainstream consisted of Poision and White Snake, but that was more of an attack on hair metal than popular music. The band, James Hetfield in particular, felt a sense alienation from the LA hair metal scene and thus had a very us vs. them viewpoint with regards to the aforementioned genre. It was a brash and immature reasoning from a young band. Eventually they grew up and made music videos, recorded Nothing Else Matter and cut their hair. Do I believe that all betrayed their earlier music? No, I believe they realized that videos weren't synonymous with hair metal and they could branch out without selling out. They've always been a band intent on doing their own thing, and I don't believe that ever changed.

And on a side note, yes the Napster was stupid. I don't disagree with their stance (it's their product, bottom line) but the way they handled it was shit. I blame it on Lars, though, who is really just an annoying midget.

4.) Finally, St. Anger sucked. Bad. It is now used as an example of why a band should never force an album through production. They clearly were in no state of mind to record an album, with James's rehab trip and Jason Newsted's sudden departure. They went to the studio, made a bunch of redundant, 8 minute songs with lazy riffs and laughable lyrics, and called in a day. Not all the songs were bad, Frantic and Sweet Amber were both decent, but if they recorded it the way they did all other albums (coming to the studio with material prepared) 95% of St. Anger would have been excised. When I heard I worried that they were done; luckily for all of us they got their stuff together and released Death Magnetic. It may not be perfect but it shows a genuine love of metal and drive that was completely absent from St. Anger.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:49 pm
Why isnt there an "IT ALL SUCKS" choice?

Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:27 pm
MrGuinness wrote:

Because any form of Metallica doesn't suck, you suck.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:30 pm
Patrick wrote:
aameen wrote:
And no, I haven't seen Some Kind of Monster but I want to.

Oh and I did see this and my thoughts are somewhere on the Last Movie You Watched thread. But for all the shit we give Lars for a lot of things, the most introspective and most human moments came from Lars. Especially when Lars comes to the realization that what James is doing with his rehab-rules is almost the same thing as what he was doing to Jason when James forbade him doing Echobrain with this line:

"I don't want what happened to Jason happened to me! You're pushing me away!"

Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:35 pm
Patrick wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:

Crap metal band. Though I did like some of the movie. Not the songs mind you, but...

Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:28 am
MrGuinness wrote:
Patrick wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:

Crap metal band. Though I did like some of the movie. Not the songs mind you, but...

Whoa...sounds almost like Patrick talking to himself. What about them don't you like?

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:01 pm
It's noisy drivel with little groove, obnoxious lyrics, bad singing and no harmonies.

This from a 40+ yo hard rock guitarist as well.

Give me King's X's first 4 albums over these guys any day.

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:27 pm