Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:54 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
July 20, 2009: "1988" 
Author Message
Post Re: July 20, 2009: "1988"
What a beautiful story.


Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:20 pm
Post Re: July 20, 2009: "1988"
Reading the first paragraph, my eyes nearly popped out of their sockets upon reading that Tracie passed away.

You offer quite a snapshot of your life through your writing. It makes me feel as though I am reading letters from an old friend. This was quite a sad entry but I thank you for sharing it.

Are we going to be seeing any photos from the decade you so dilligently covered during this blog series?


Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:11 pm
Post Re: July 20, 2009: "1988"
x1874 wrote:
Reading the first paragraph, my eyes nearly popped out of their sockets upon reading that Tracie passed away.


My reaction also. Maybe I didn't read some of the previous Reelthoughts properly but was there ever any mention of Tracie's passing? This caught me totally by surprise.


Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:18 pm
Post Re: July 20, 2009: "1988"
ed_metal_head wrote:
x1874 wrote:
Reading the first paragraph, my eyes nearly popped out of their sockets upon reading that Tracie passed away.


My reaction also. Maybe I didn't read some of the previous Reelthoughts properly but was there ever any mention of Tracie's passing? This caught me totally by surprise.

Yes, James mentioned it before and said that it would be addressed in one of the Reelthoughts.
Still quite powerful though.


Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:51 pm
Post Re: July 20, 2009: "1988"
diehardrep wrote:
hey James:

I know it was 21 years ago, but thanks for sharing with us about Tracie. I'm sure it was hard and I'm sorry you had to go through that tragedy.

Enjoy your stuff. Keep up the good work.

Matt
Denver


I second that, James. This post was one heck of a read for me, but my mouth dropped open when I read about Tracie. I really am very sorry to hear about that.

Re: the rest of your article... I still have a soft spot for 'Coming To America'; I must have seen it at least six times since I was 11. There's a lot of good stuff in it (James Earl Jones, Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall's multiple character playing, the radiant Shari Headley, the reference to 'Trading Places', McDowell's, Samuel L. Jackson etc. etc.) to go along with the bad (some really stupid jokes, some cringeworthy moments, a thin plot).

Kind of surprised not to see 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' not on your review list... I liked it when I saw it in the cinema at 8 and I still like it today. Then again, this could be out of nostalgia. (CGI's now ridiculously overused in motion pictures, and Mel Blanc, Wayne Allwine and Pat Buttram are no longer with us.)

But I look forward to 'Dangerous Liaisons'. Saw the film twice when I was 19 (or 20) in the wake of having seen (and actually liked) 'Cruel Intentions'... no prizes for guessing which film holds up better. In fact, as much as you disliked 'Intentions' at least it inspired me to read 'Les Liaisons Dangereuses' at the time - in the same way '10 Things I Hate About You' made me read 'The Taming Of The Shrew' and 'Minority Report' made me seek out the Philip Dick short story.


Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:13 pm
Post Re: July 20, 2009: "1988"
Thank you for sharing with us, Mr. B.


Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:52 pm
Post Re: July 20, 2009: "1988"
x1874 wrote:
Reading the first paragraph, my eyes nearly popped out of their sockets upon reading that Tracie passed away.

You offer quite a snapshot of your life through your writing. It makes me feel as though I am reading letters from an old friend.


I had the same reaction, and feel the exact same way when reading these.

As others have said, thank you for sharing this with us, James. I'm sorry you had to go through that, and can only imagine how hard it was for you, both back then, and when recapping it.


Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:00 pm
Post Re: July 20, 2009: "1988"
Willow is not better the second time around. I recently revisited it for the first time since I was nine and just...no


Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:37 am
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3137
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: July 20, 2009: "1988"
x1874 wrote:
Are we going to be seeing any photos from the decade you so dilligently covered during this blog series?


I don't have any photos from the '80s. In fact, I don't have any photos from the '90s, either. The earliest photos I have are from around 2001, when I started swapping photos with Sheryl. My parents probably have some photos from me between 1980 and 2000 but they're holiday photos when the whole family was together. I have no photos of Tracie, which might seem a little odd to some, but neither of us really cared.

To this day, I'm not a big picture-taker. I have never used the camera feature of my cell phone. My wife is the one who brings the camera when we go some place. I do not carry around any pictures in my wallet.


Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3137
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: July 20, 2009: "1988"
wisey wrote:
Thank you James, perhaps that was liberating to write? I thank you like the other readers for that insight into your back ground.


Liberating? No, not after 21 years. All of the negative emotions associated with Tracie's death have long since faded (except perhaps the almost feral hatred I have for drunk drivers). A lot of the writing I did in the early '90s was cathartic in one way or another. THE PRICE OF THE CROWN and THE PRICE OF MAGIC were both written during those years when I was still trying to find equilibrium (1990-92). Reading them probably provides insight into my mindset at the time, and there's a little of Tracie in both Joi and Lis (for those who have read the books).

It would have been disingenuous for me to write about the late '80s and not write about Tracie. And, of course, once I described our relationship, it would be unfair not to finish the story, even though it wasn't a happy ending.


Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:34 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: July 20, 2009: "1988"
I just recently re-watched Stand and Deliver, which came out in 1988. I found this movie to be formulaic but surprisingly intelligent nonetheless. I'm curious as to what James thought about this if he saw it (presumably he did). I wish he could have included it in his list of titles from that year.


Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Post Re: July 20, 2009: "1988"
Oh man, Stand and Deliver sure sucked a big fat penis. And not only did that movie fail as a movie, it also completely ruined and ended that guy's teaching career. On top of that, poor Edward James Olmos' career also essentially became a poop sandwich; at least until a few decades passed and Battlestar Gallactica came knocking. Really the only thing halfway decent to come of Stand & Deliver was an okay episode of South Park some twenty years later


Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:43 pm
Post Re: July 20, 2009: "1988"
Kyle wrote:
Oh man, Stand and Deliver sure sucked a big fat penis. And not only did that movie fail as a movie, it also completely ruined and ended that guy's teaching career. On top of that, poor Edward James Olmos' career also essentially became a poop sandwich; at least until a few decades passed and Battlestar Gallactica came knocking. Really the only thing halfway decent to come of Stand & Deliver was an okay episode of South Park some twenty years later


Hey buddy, my high school math teacher loved that movie! Of course, he wasn't a very smart guy, so actually that's more damning than it is helping. You know what, never mind.


Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:03 pm
Post Re: July 20, 2009: "1988"
Zeppelin wrote:
Kyle wrote:
Oh man, Stand and Deliver sure sucked a big fat penis. And not only did that movie fail as a movie, it also completely ruined and ended that guy's teaching career. On top of that, poor Edward James Olmos' career also essentially became a poop sandwich; at least until a few decades passed and Battlestar Gallactica came knocking. Really the only thing halfway decent to come of Stand & Deliver was an okay episode of South Park some twenty years later


Hey buddy, my high school math teacher loved that movie! Of course, he wasn't a very smart guy, so actually that's more damning than it is helping. You know what, never mind.


You guys suck!!! Whatever, to each his own.


Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:58 pm
Post Re: July 20, 2009: "1988"
One movie i'm surprised James never reviewed from this year is-I'm Gonna Git You SuckaEspecially since he's mentioned how much he liked it in several of his reviews.


Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:10 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr