Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:32 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Top 100 
Author Message
Post The Top 100
Here is a quick list of the top 100 greatest movies. You may be surprised by how many you haven't seen.

Rank Title Director Year Country Mins
1 Citizen Kane Welles, Orson 1941 US 119
2 Vertigo Hitchcock, Alfred 1958 US 128
3 Rules of the Game, The Renoir, Jean 1939 France 113
4 2001: A Space Odyssey Kubrick, Stanley 1968 UK 139
5 Fellini, Federico 1963 Italy 135
6 Godfather, The Coppola, Francis 1972 US 175
7 Searchers, The Ford, John 1956 US 119
8 Battleship Potemkin Eisenstein, Sergei 1925 Russia 65
9 Seven Samurai, The Kurosawa, Akira 1954 Japan 200
10 Tokyo Story Ozu, Yasujiro 1953 Japan 134
11 Singin' in the Rain Donen, Stanley/Gene Kelly 1952 US 102
12 Sunrise Murnau, F.W. 1927 US 110
13 Lawrence of Arabia Lean, David 1962 UK 216
14 Bicycle Thieves De Sica, Vittorio 1948 Italy 90
15 Casablanca Curtiz, Michael 1942 US 102
16 Atalante, L' Vigo, Jean 1934 France 89
17 Passion of Joan of Arc, The Dreyer, Carl 1928 France 77
18 Raging Bull Scorsese, Martin 1980 US 128
19 Rashomon Kurosawa, Akira 1950 Japan 88
20 Godfather Part II, The Coppola, Francis 1974 US 200
21 Touch of Evil Welles, Orson 1958 US 108
22 Some Like it Hot Wilder, Billy 1959 US 119
23 City Lights Chaplin, Charles 1931 US 86
24 Third Man, The Reed, Carol 1949 UK 104
25 Grande illusion, La Renoir, Jean 1937 France 117
26 Dolce vita, La Fellini, Federico 1960 Italy 175
27 Gold Rush, The Chaplin, Charles 1925 US 82
28 Taxi Driver Scorsese, Martin 1976 US 113
29 Sunset Blvd. Wilder, Billy 1950 US 110
30 General, The Keaton, Buster/Clyde Bruckman 1926 US 74
31 Enfants du paradis, Les Carné, Marcel 1945 France 195
32 Psycho Hitchcock, Alfred 1960 US 109
33 Breathless Godard, Jean-Luc 1959 France 89
34 Ordet Dreyer, Carl 1955 Denmark 125
35 Apocalypse Now Coppola, Francis 1979 US 150
36 Chinatown Polanski, Roman 1974 US 131
37 Night of the Hunter, The Laughton, Charles 1955 US 93
38 Avventura, L' Antonioni, Michelangelo 1960 Italy-France 145
39 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned… Kubrick, Stanley 1964 UK 93
40 Persona Bergman, Ingmar 1966 Sweden 81
41 Andrei Rublev Tarkovsky, Andrei 1966 Russia 185
42 Jules et Jim Truffaut, François 1961 France 104
43 Magnificent Ambersons, The Welles, Orson 1942 US 88
44 400 Blows, The Truffaut, François 1959 France 99
45 It's a Wonderful Life Capra, Frank 1946 US 129
46 Blade Runner Scott, Ridley 1982 US 118
47 Rear Window Hitchcock, Alfred 1954 US 112
48 Modern Times Chaplin, Charles 1936 US 89
49 North by Northwest Hitchcock, Alfred 1959 US 136
50 Strada, La Fellini, Federico 1954 Italy 115

Rob


Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:09 am
Post Re: The Top 100
51 Intolerance Griffith, D.W. 1916 US 178
52 Seventh Seal, The Bergman, Ingmar 1957 Sweden 96
53 M Lang, Fritz 1931 Germany 99
54 Ugetsu monogatari Mizoguchi, Kenji 1953 Japan 96
55 Apartment, The Wilder, Billy 1960 US 125
56 Contempt Godard, Jean-Luc 1963 France-Italy 103
57 Wild Strawberries Bergman, Ingmar 1957 Sweden 90
58 Wild Bunch, The Peckinpah, Sam 1969 US 144
59 Pather Panchali Ray, Satyajit 1955 India 112
60 Gone with the Wind Fleming, Victor 1939 US 222
61 Au hasard Balthazar Bresson, Robert 1966 France 95
62 Wizard of Oz, The Fleming, Victor 1939 US 101
63 Rio Bravo Hawks, Howard 1959 US 141
64 Greedvon Stroheim, Erich 1924 US 140
65 Conformist, The Bertolucci, Bernardo 1969 Italy-France-Germany 115
66 Leopard, The Visconti, Luchino 1963 Italy 205
67 Nashville Altman, Robert 1975 US 159
68 Viridiana Buñuel, Luis 1961 Spain 90
69 Mirror, The Tarkovsky, Andrei 1976 Russia 106
70 Metropolis Lang, Fritz 1926 Germany 120
71 To Be or Not to Be Lubitsch, Ernst 1942 US 99
72 All About Eve Mankiewicz, Joseph L. 1950 US 138
73 Once Upon a Time in the West Leone, Sergio 1968 Italy-US 165
74 Fanny and Alexander Bergman, Ingmar 1982 Sweden 189
75 Notorious Hitchcock, Alfred 1946 US 101
76 Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Ford, John 1962 US 119
77 Letter from an Unknown Woman Ophüls, Max 1948 US 90
78 Madame de... Ophüls, Max 1953 France-Italy 105
79 Bringing Up Baby Hawks, Howard 1938 US 102
80 Pickpocket Bresson, Robert 1959 France 75
81 Ikiru Kurosawa, Akira 1952 Japan 143
82 Amarcord Fellini, Federico 1973 Italy 127
83 Stagecoach Ford, John 1939 US 96
84 Pierrot le fou Godard, Jean-Luc 1965 France-Italy 110
85 My Darling Clementine Ford, John 1946 US 97
86 Voyage in Italy Rossellini, Roberto 1953 Italy 97
87 Playtime Tati, Jacques 1967 France 108
88 Sansho the Bailiff Mizoguchi, Kenji 1954 Japan 125
89 Last Year at Marienbad Resnais, Alain 1961 France-Italy 94
90 Âge d'or, L' Buñuel, Luis 1930 France 63
91 Aguirre: The Wrath of God Herzog, Werner 1972 Germany 94
92 Barry Lyndon Kubrick, Stanley 1975 UK 183
93 Clockwork Orange, A Kubrick, Stanley 1971 UK 137
94 Double Indemnity Wilder, Billy 1944 US 106
95 Battle of Algiers, The Pontecorvo, Gillo 1965 Algeria-Italy 123
96 Hiroshima mon amour Resnais, Alain 1959 France-Japan 91
97 Man with a Movie Camera, The Vertov, Dziga 1929 USSR 80
98 Rome, Open City Rossellini, Roberto 1945 Italy 105
99 GoodFellas Scorsese, Martin 1990 US 146
100 Sherlock Jr. Keaton, Buster 1924 US 44


Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm
Post Re: The Top 100
ilovemovies wrote:
Who compiled this list?



Hi there

It was compiled from the votes of 1825 film critics and people involved with the movie industry.

No list can be perfect because by their nature they are subjective and we are each different. However, as a source of inspiration for discovering new movies, it's a very impressive piece of work

As Trevor mentioned, check out the intro thread on this sub forum and you'll see more

Rob


Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:26 pm
Post Re: The Top 100
I'm curious to hear how many of these films our forum members have seen. I thought I'd seen the entire 100 and then discovered that one had slipped through my net. So I'm at 99 and will be getting to Pather Panchali ASAP.

Rob


Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:28 pm
Post Re: The Top 100
Robert Holloway wrote:
I'm curious to hear how many of these films our forum members have seen. I thought I'd seen the entire 100 and then discovered that one had slipped through my net. So I'm at 99 and will be getting to Pather Panchali ASAP.

Rob

Have Seen:
39 films, including some of my favorites:
3 Rules of the Game, The Renoir, Jean 1939 France 113
8 Battleship Potemkin Eisenstein, Sergei 1925 Russia 65
11 Singin' in the Rain Donen, Stanley/Gene Kelly 1952 US 102
26 Dolce vita, La Fellini, Federico 1960 Italy 175
39 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned… Kubrick, Stanley 1964 UK 93
46 Blade Runner Scott, Ridley 1982 US 118
73 Once Upon a Time in the West Leone, Sergio 1968 Italy-US 165
93 Clockwork Orange, A Kubrick, Stanley 1971 UK 137
97 Man with a Movie Camera, The Vertov, Dziga 1929 USSR 80


Have not seen (also including ones I only saw part of or barely remember seeing):
61 films including:
33 Breathless Godard, Jean-Luc 1959 France 89 (I've seen Contempt but not Breathless, quite odd)
44 400 Blows, The Truffaut, François 1959 France 99 (I've seen Jules & Jim, but not 400 Blows - what's wrong with me?)
69 Mirror, The Tarkovsky, Andrei 1976 Russia 106 (I count Tarkovsky as one of my favorite directors, gotta see this one)
75 Notorious Hitchcock, Alfred 1946 US 101 (Pretty big Hitchcock fan, somehow missed this one)
82 Amarcord Fellini, Federico 1973 Italy 127 (I love Fellini, can't believe I haven't seen Amarcord)


Looks like I have a daunting task in front of me.


Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:43 pm
Post Re: The Top 100
Trevor wrote:
Have Seen:
39 films, including some of my favorites:
3 Rules of the Game, The Renoir, Jean 1939 France 113
8 Battleship Potemkin Eisenstein, Sergei 1925 Russia 65
11 Singin' in the Rain Donen, Stanley/Gene Kelly 1952 US 102
26 Dolce vita, La Fellini, Federico 1960 Italy 175
39 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned… Kubrick, Stanley 1964 UK 93
46 Blade Runner Scott, Ridley 1982 US 118
73 Once Upon a Time in the West Leone, Sergio 1968 Italy-US 165
93 Clockwork Orange, A Kubrick, Stanley 1971 UK 137
97 Man with a Movie Camera, The Vertov, Dziga 1929 USSR 80


Have not seen (also including ones I only saw part of or barely remember seeing):
61 films including:
33 Breathless Godard, Jean-Luc 1959 France 89 (I've seen Contempt but not Breathless, quite odd)
44 400 Blows, The Truffaut, François 1959 France 99 (I've seen Jules & Jim, but not 400 Blows - what's wrong with me?)
69 Mirror, The Tarkovsky, Andrei 1976 Russia 106 (I count Tarkovsky as one of my favorite directors, gotta see this one)
75 Notorious Hitchcock, Alfred 1946 US 101 (Pretty big Hitchcock fan, somehow missed this one)
82 Amarcord Fellini, Federico 1973 Italy 127 (I love Fellini, can't believe I haven't seen Amarcord)


Looks like I have a daunting task in front of me.


Well, I've been watching classic films fairly consistently since mid-March, and I still have 55 films left to see in the top 100, so I'd actually say you're doing pretty good for yourself, all things considered.


Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:50 pm
Post Re: The Top 100
I've only seen 45 out of the top 100, but I'm in no hurry to fill in the gaps. I have this book "1001 movies to see before you die" and I'm using this approach to watching classic films, acting under the optimistic assumption that I will reach old age.


Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:22 am
Post Re: The Top 100
I love that we have this somewhat standard list here as well as a place to discuss these movies. This will finally give me the kick in the pants I need to see some of these films that I have wanted to for a long time but never got around to watching.


Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:53 am
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1445
Post Re: The Top 100
I've seen 77 of the top 100.

Not sure if I'll ever complete the list, esp after what Rob wrote about Last Year At Marianbad, Playtime, Pierrot Le Fou, Andrei Rublev, The Mirror, Contempt, L'Avventura. They really don't sound like my cup of tea.

Dying to see Letter From An Unknown Woman though, hopefully TCM will show it some time. Or it will get a DVD release. I enjoyed Madame de.. very much & doubt I ever would have seen it had Rob not started his 'journey.'

Quote:
I thought I'd seen the entire 100 and then discovered that one had slipped through my net. So I'm at 99 and will be getting to Pather Panchali ASAP.


ha, when I asked you about it in the other thread, you said your database said that you saw it 2 years ago & gave it a 7. but had no memory of it at all. was that a glitch?

I haven't seen it either, looking forward to your review.


Last edited by calvero on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:34 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:17 pm
Posts: 529
Post Re: The Top 100
I've seen 41 of these. Ordet is next on the list.

Haha, Netflix is the best idea ever...


Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:34 pm
Profile
Post Re: The Top 100
Like Unke I've seen exactly 45 of the top 100. That includes 21 out of the top 30 but then only 24 of the next 70.

I'm also not in any hurry to see the top 100. The way I currently watch movies means that I see a few of the top 1000 every month, so I check these off (using the handy spreadsheet) as I go along.


Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:14 am
Post Re: The Top 100
Unke wrote:
I've only seen 45 out of the top 100, but I'm in no hurry to fill in the gaps. I have this book "1001 movies to see before you die" and I'm using this approach to watching classic films, acting under the optimistic assumption that I will reach old age.


Hey, i am listening to 1001 albums before I die :-)
Same type of book i guess
Though i fear i might die first!
Rob


Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:39 am
Post Re: The Top 100
calvero wrote:
I've seen 77 of the top 100.

Not sure if I'll ever complete the list, esp after what Rob wrote about Last Year At Marianbad, Playtime, Pierrot Le Fou, Andrei Rublev, The Mirror, Contempt, L'Avventura. They really don't sound like my cup of tea.

Dying to see Letter From An Unknown Woman though, hopefully TCM will show it some time. Or it will get a DVD release. I enjoyed Madame de.. very much & doubt I ever would have seen it had Rob not started his 'journey.'

Quote:
I thought I'd seen the entire 100 and then discovered that one had slipped through my net. So I'm at 99 and will be getting to Pather Panchali ASAP.


ha, when I asked you about it in the other thread, you said your database said that you saw it 2 years ago & gave it a 7. but had no memory of it at all. was that a glitch?

I haven't seen it either, looking forward to your review.


Hi Calvero

You have a good memory! - I have it in front of me and will be watching it soon

My database is very rarely wrong so the likely answer is that after about 30 minutes I will know I'd seen it before and will settle back and enjoy it again.

But there again.... :-)

I'm glad you liked Madame De

Do check out the new Criterion release of Marianbad. It's not an easy movie, but one that haunts me.

Have fun
Rob


Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:43 am
Post Re: The Top 100
ed_metal_head wrote:
Like Unke I've seen exactly 45 of the top 100. That includes 21 out of the top 30 but then only 24 of the next 70.

I'm also not in any hurry to see the top 100. The way I currently watch movies means that I see a few of the top 1000 every month, so I check these off (using the handy spreadsheet) as I go along.


Hi Ed

I agree, even one a month makes it a great treat to look forwards to. I sort of wish James would do that. Roger Ebert's been doing it for years.

Of the 55 there are bound to be some amazing experiences ahead. i envy you.

Rob


Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:46 am
Post Re: The Top 100
My oh My,

Have you been busy Rob, Patrick, Trevor and all the mods.

What a great treat to come back to the site and see such a great amount of work done by your hands. My sincere compliments.

If you have noted my absence it was by choice for part of May, June and July, all things take time the the photography and travel part of my life took hold in a big way, that said, I still managed to see over 35 films during my absence from Reel views posting during that period, with 15 of them from my library, 20 at the theatre.

I revisited many in the classic top 100 the past two weeks from films that are in my library including Third Man, Grande Illusion, Les Enfants, Searchers, Mouchette, Ikiru, Sansho the Bailiff, Double Idemnity, along with revisiting Gatacca, Doubt, Lives of Others, Bicycle Thieves, among the more notable ones in my library that I have watched this summer.

Recent theatre excursions included the Harry Potter, Whatever Works, Moon, Away we go, with plans for 500 days, Hurt locker, Departures, the next two days,

However, my main point in writing this is to thank you all and to Rob for your work and time on setting this up, and the amount of time it must have took. Thanks All!

19 more to go on the 100 classic great to see yet, and there are another 6 silents which I have seen for about 20 mintues each, but I doubt if I will ever revisit, to much other good stuff to see for now. I will call this list the classic because I think some more modern films of the last 15 years aren't as high as they should be..... And we have talked about that aspect of the ratings etc. etc. but this list does serve as such a great starting and talking point and the site is just about tops for what it does.

thanks to the team, Trevor for the linking, and Rob for starting this whole idea with the list.

Wade


Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:23 pm
Post Re: The Top 100
Commodorefirst wrote:
My oh My,

Have you been busy Rob, Patrick, Trevor and all the mods.

What a great treat to come back to the site and see such a great amount of work done by your hands. My sincere compliments.

If you have noted my absence it was by choice for part of May, June and July, all things take time the the photography and travel part of my life took hold in a big way, that said, I still managed to see over 35 films during my absence from Reel views posting during that period, with 15 of them from my library, 20 at the theatre.

I revisited many in the classic top 100 the past two weeks from films that are in my library including Third Man, Grande Illusion, Les Enfants, Searchers, Mouchette, Ikiru, Sansho the Bailiff, Double Idemnity, along with revisiting Gatacca, Doubt, Lives of Others, Bicycle Thieves, among the more notable ones in my library that I have watched this summer.

Recent theatre excursions included the Harry Potter, Whatever Works, Moon, Away we go, with plans for 500 days, Hurt locker, Departures, the next two days,

However, my main point in writing this is to thank you all and to Rob for your work and time on setting this up, and the amount of time it must have took. Thanks All!

19 more to go on the 100 classic great to see yet, and there are another 6 silents which I have seen for about 20 mintues each, but I doubt if I will ever revisit, to much other good stuff to see for now. I will call this list the classic because I think some more modern films of the last 15 years aren't as high as they should be..... And we have talked about that aspect of the ratings etc. etc. but this list does serve as such a great starting and talking point and the site is just about tops for what it does.

thanks to the team, Trevor for the linking, and Rob for starting this whole idea with the list.

Wade


Wade aka Sir Commodore

You are most welcome back and I hope all is well with you.

Please do post your thoughts on the movies you see. I don't know anyone else who's at 81/100 so great for you!

Anyway, welcome and thanks for the nice post!

Rob


Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:08 am
Post Re: The Top 100
Well, I guess officially I am at 75 since I really didn't see all of those six silent films at that workshop many years ago.

And I only have a need to see Greed, 7th seal, Mirror, Last year at M, Age D'or, and maybe Playtime, don't know, need to go look at your thoughts on the ones I have left and see what I want to visit.

Such a nice resource.


Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:07 pm
Post Re: The Top 100
It looks as if I've seen 41 of the films. Out of the 59 remaining I'd like to see around 41 and leave out, to name only three,

- It's a Wonderful Life (I couldn't be any less interested)
- My Darling Clementine (me and John Ford have had a shaky relationship)
- Intolerance (3 hours long, silent, and another Griffith film -- that can only mean this one will have to be saved for a long, long, long, long, long, longlonglong time)

I won't be making my way through the top 100 with any real priority but hope to some day finish most of this list. I'll be starting in Japan.


Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:16 am
Post Re: The Top 100
majoraphasia wrote:
It looks as if I've seen 41 of the films. Out of the 59 remaining I'd like to see around 41 and leave out, to name only three,

- It's a Wonderful Life (I couldn't be any less interested)
- My Darling Clementine (me and John Ford have had a shaky relationship)
- Intolerance (3 hours long, silent, and another Griffith film -- that can only mean this one will have to be saved for a long, long, long, long, long, longlonglong time)

I won't be making my way through the top 100 with any real priority but hope to some day finish most of this list. I'll be starting in Japan.


Shaky relationship? Bah! Watch more Ford, and like more Ford. C'mon, he's Ford tough.

I've seen 40 of the top 100, and I imagine I'll get around to seeing them all at some point. I probably won't make a point to get them all watched (at least until I double my current total), but I think during my normal course of movie watching, I'll end up seeing them. I'm an elitist, see, and I only watch the best of the best - not Best of the Best though, that's below me.

The ones I'm ashamed I've not seen:

8 1/2
Bicycle Thieves
It's a Wonderful Life

How I managed to miss out on It's a Wonderful Life for 27 years is beyond me. That's a movie that even the most casual movie fans have seen, yet it's missing from my viewing experience.

I will own Touch of Evil when it's shipped to me in a few days, which excites me because, well, it's fucking Touch of Evil. Seriously, how great is that film? That doesn't really add anything to the topic, but it's on the list and I cannot wait to be able to watch it whenever I want.


Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:06 am
Post Re: The Top 100
PeachyPete wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
It looks as if I've seen 41 of the films. Out of the 59 remaining I'd like to see around 41 and leave out, to name only three,

- It's a Wonderful Life (I couldn't be any less interested)
- My Darling Clementine (me and John Ford have had a shaky relationship)
- Intolerance (3 hours long, silent, and another Griffith film -- that can only mean this one will have to be saved for a long, long, long, long, long, longlonglong time)

I won't be making my way through the top 100 with any real priority but hope to some day finish most of this list. I'll be starting in Japan.


Shaky relationship? Bah! Watch more Ford, and like more Ford. C'mon, he's Ford tough.

I've seen 40 of the top 100, and I imagine I'll get around to seeing them all at some point. I probably won't make a point to get them all watched (at least until I double my current total), but I think during my normal course of movie watching, I'll end up seeing them. I'm an elitist, see, and I only watch the best of the best - not Best of the Best though, that's below me.

The ones I'm ashamed I've not seen:

8 1/2
Bicycle Thieves
It's a Wonderful Life

How I managed to miss out on It's a Wonderful Life for 27 years is beyond me. That's a movie that even the most casual movie fans have seen, yet it's missing from my viewing experience.

I will own Touch of Evil when it's shipped to me in a few days, which excites me because, well, it's fucking Touch of Evil. Seriously, how great is that film? That doesn't really add anything to the topic, but it's on the list and I cannot wait to be able to watch it whenever I want.



Hi PeachyPete

First impressions are always interesting , so I'll await to hear what you think of these over the coming months

I'm envious of the experience ahead!

Rob


Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:32 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr