Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company? 

What's your favorite video game company?
Nintendo 31%  31%  [ 11 ]
Sony 33%  33%  [ 12 ]
Microsoft 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Sega 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Atari 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
I don't play video games cause I'm better than you 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 36

Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company? 
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
Hello, my name is Tim, I am 30 years old and I am a huge video game nerd. I have owned each of the following: Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Gameboy, Playstation, Nintendo 64, PS2, Gamecube, Gameboy Advance XBOX, XBOX 360, PSP, PS3.

Notice anything missing?

The Wii is a big joke to me. I understand the "innovation" behind the motion controls. But until they can prove to me it is more than a gimmick, I am not buying into it. It was fun the first time playing Wii Sports and bowling and tennis, but that lasted for a couple of days. beyond Zelda and Mario Galaxy, there isn't one game I am interested in. The majority of the titles that come out are just a bunch of minigames that make you waggle the wiimote around.

I am on my 3rd 360 right now, and it barely works at that. The recent dashboard upgrade and the ability to rip games to the hard drive is the best thing they have done in the last couple of years. That is the only way I can play certain games without my console crashing. But I only have the 20g HD, and space is an issue, so I can only rip one game at a time, and some I can't because of the amount of space left. I am looking on ebay for the 120g, and my problems should be solved. Other than that it has only been used to watch movies via Netflix, which is a fantastic service. There is only one exclusive title I am looking forward to on 360, and that is Mass Effect 2.

Sony, on the other hand started off very slowly. They have been adding quality titles with a lot more frequency in the last year. They have already had 2 really good exclusives this year (Killzone 2, and INfamous), and have 3-4 more coming out this year (Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Hard Rain, and maybe Gran Turismo 5).

That, to me is a no-brainer.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:13 am
I'm always surprised to hear about how people have gone thorugh multiple 360s, i'm still on my first one since I got it back in December 2006, and it's the Core Model mind you, the one that's supposedly more prone to having the RROD, I did have to get the motherboard replaced once earlier this year, but aside form that my 360 has never failed me. The Wii soudns pretty good, but I just don't have th emoney ti support 2 game consoles right now. Can't see any reason to purchase a PS3 though, since I couldn't care less about Blu-Ray if I tried(OOOH!!! the picture looks better, big fuckin deal! :roll: I care about whether the movie itself is any, not about how good it looks!, hell i'd rather see a film on VHS then Blu-Ray, at least that's alot cheaper)and the games selection for the PS3 looks pretty minimal compared ot the 360s, I never played the Metal Gear Solid series and don't really ever plan to do so, so I have ZERO interest in MGS4, the supposed "must-have" title, Ratchet And Clank, Time Crisis 4 and Uncharted look good but that's about it relaly. Sony's made too many bad decisions regarding this system to count. Don't get me wrong I don't hate Sony, I do won a PSP and have lately been giving it more attnetion then my DS, but Sony were WAAAYY too overconfident about the PS3 from the beginning, they're arrogance was just sickening and they had very little to back up they're claims, it's no wonder all of Sony's best franchises are slowly migrating to the 360.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:17 pm
Director

I have to go with Sony first, I love the Playstation 1,2 and 3. Nintendo is a close second having N64(Starfox) and [b](Goldeneye) the best[/b], Gameboys and NSES.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:56 pm
Profile YIM
3 words. Final Fantasy Bitches.....

Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:46 am
stiefmo wrote:

You do realize that FFXIII is going to be on both XBox 360 and PS3 right?

Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:44 am
Patrick wrote:
stiefmo wrote:

You do realize that FFXIII is going to be on both XBox 360 and PS3 right?

Yeah, most of Sony's exclusive franchises are being ported to the 360, but that's mostly due to Sony's seemingly never-ending stream of bone-headed decisions, and the next Metal Gear game will also be on the 360.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:49 am
Vexer wrote:
Yeah, most of Sony's exclusive franchises are being ported to the 360, but that's mostly due to Sony's seemingly never-ending stream of bone-headed decisions, and the next Metal Gear game will also be on the 360.

Most meaning FFXIII and Devil May Cry? Yes, losing FFXIII as exclusive will hurt, but not as much as everyone thinks. The next Metal Gear game is going to star Raiden, no thanks. Especially after the colossal waste of time that MGS4 was.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:38 pm
timgoens wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Most meaning FFXIII and Devil May Cry? Yes, losing FFXIII as exclusive will hurt, but not as much as everyone thinks. The next Metal Gear game is going to star Raiden, no thanks. Especially after the colossal waste of time that MGS4 was.
Don't forget, they also lost Devil May Cry 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4 as exclusives last year.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:25 pm
Vexer wrote:
timgoens wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Don't forget, they also lost Devil May Cry 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4 as exclusives last year.

He already mentioned Devil May Cry already Vex....and hasn't some GTA games been ported on the XBOX as well?

Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:32 pm
Director

Most meaning FFXIII and Devil May Cry? Yes, losing FFXIII as exclusive will hurt, but not as much as everyone thinks. The next Metal Gear game is going to star Raiden, no thanks. Especially after the colossal waste of time that MGS4 was.[/quote]Don't forget, they also lost Devil May Cry 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4 as exclusives last year.[/quote]

He already mentioned Devil May Cry already Vex....and hasn't some GTA games been ported on the XBOX as well?[/quote]

Yes, it was about three years ago.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:00 pm
Profile YIM
Most meaning FFXIII and Devil May Cry? Yes, losing FFXIII as exclusive will hurt, but not as much as everyone thinks. The next Metal Gear game is going to star Raiden, no thanks. Especially after the colossal waste of time that MGS4 was.[/quote]Don't forget, they also lost Devil May Cry 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4 as exclusives last year.[/quote]

He already mentioned Devil May Cry already Vex....and hasn't some GTA games been ported on the XBOX as well?[/quote]Oh yeah, there was the GTA double pack released on Xbox, I forgot about that, but the point is that game developers and publishers are much more hesitant about working with Sony then they were in the past, largely due to Sony's extreme arrogance and their ignorant decisions. Though it's also due to the fact that the PS3 is difficult to develop for due to it's processors. It's pretty ironic cause that's the same problem that Sega went had with the Saturn, people went to Sony cause the PS was easier to develop for then the Saturn, now Sony is having the same problems as Sega, and as the saying goes "those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it" and there are few places where that saying applies better then with Sony.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:06 pm
timgoens wrote:
Vexer wrote:

On what planet is MGS4 a waste of time?

Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:54 am
Pedro wrote:
timgoens wrote:
Vexer wrote:

On what planet is MGS4 a waste of time?

How many planets can you name?

Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:46 pm
You guys have got to be kidding me.

Where in that list is Blizzard????

Blizzard shits on all of those period.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:49 am
Humga wrote:

Blizzards in other....inferior PC company

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:50 am
Humga wrote:

ed_metal_head wrote:
I was about to say Blizzard but was stopped by two things:
1. I obviously misinterpreted the meaning of the poll ;)
2. Their no-LAN support for Starcraft 2 suddenly makes me hate them.

I hear you, but Blizzard has been a bit naughty lately.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:30 pm
I'm sickened that Nintendo has as many as eight votes. It deserves nine less. The Nintendo Wii is the most bland concession to mainstream American laziness since the bean bag. Microsoft and Sony are easily the best, with my vote going to Microsoft for making the best console of this generation with the best gaming network around.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:27 pm
Blizzard is responsible for World of Warcraft, which is built on the principle that gamers are so bored and have such addictive personalities that they're willing to overlook what a clunky, directionless waste of time it is.

The sad fact is, they're right in enough cases for it to matter.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:47 pm
Ken wrote:
Blizzard is responsible for World of Warcraft, which is built on the principle that gamers are so bored and have such addictive personalities that they're willing to overlook what a clunky, directionless waste of time it is.

The sad fact is, they're right in enough cases for it to matter.

I've never played it, however, wouldn't your point apply to all MMORPGs? I just don't see why Blizzard has to take the blame here. From what I've heard they've at least tried to make it friendlier to the casual gamer. For instance, those who don't play for a while get experience points just for logging on. This prevents them from falling too far behind those who spend every living second on the game.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:03 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I've never played it, however, wouldn't your point apply to all MMORPGs? I just don't see why Blizzard has to take the blame here.
Perhaps it does, but WoW is both the most notorious one and the only one I've actually bothered to play, so I'm speaking from the data I have to work with.

ed_metal_head wrote:
From what I've heard they've at least tried to make it friendlier to the casual gamer. For instance, those who don't play for a while get experience points just for logging on. This prevents them from falling too far behind those who spend every living second on the game.
The ease of acquiring experience is a non-issue for me. The game is, quite literally, pointless. Winning battles is not a measure of skill, but of who has more people, more experience points (which are acquired through arbitrary menial tasks), and more endurance for massive levels of boredom and rote keystrokes. There's no overarching plot or set of tasks that will bring the gamer's efforts to any kind of ultimate fruition. Given its lack of crucial features, I'm not sure it even technically qualifies as a game.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:21 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next