Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:51 pm

The R Rating 
Post The R Rating
I tried seeing Public Enemies yesterday. I'll be 17 in three months, but wasn't allowed to see it. What makes this absurd is that my father was standing next to me buying the tickets. He was fine with me seeing Public Enemies and gave his permission but the movie theater wouldn't let me watch it without him. He didn't want to see Public Enemies, but the only way for me to see it would be for him to see it as well.

What makes this absurd is that he GAVE PERMISSION for me to see it. Why does the theater or the MPAA believe it has the right to be a better parent than my father? Adding to the absurdity is the disc called the DVD. I tried buying Watchmen today on Bluray but, nope, can't do it without a parent. Now in this case, a parent just has to be present when you are buying it. They don't have to watch it with you. THEN WHY IS THIS DIFFERENT IN MOVIE THEATERS? Why does the movie theater force me to watch it with a parent but Best Buy only force me to have a parent present?

it gets better. Blockbuster has a system where parents can approve their children getting any movie. That's how I've seen True Lies, Alien, and Die Hard. All are R-rated. But I'm allowed to get them because my parents said I'm allowed to rent any of the stuff there.

Thank you for reading my rant.

EDIT: I eventually had to relent and see Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Maybe that's why I'm mad.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:38 pm
Post Re: The R Rating
Man is that stupid! Well a theater near had another rule that was even dumber believe it or not, they said you had to be 25 to buy multiple tickets! Course that was 2 years ago and I did see Crank 2:High Voltage with a friend there so i'm guessing they got rid of the rule, but they still never should've had it in the first place. Now what you should've done is after you bought your TF2 ticket, you should've gone to see Public Enemies anyways, cause like 5 minutes after the starting time for a film(the point at which the trailers are still going) the theater doors are usually unguarded, which means you can sneak in unnoticed, I know you shouldn't have to do something like that in the first place, but until you turn 18 that's pretty much your only option. I did that all the time, when I was 16-17, my mother knew about it and didn't care one bit. though I did get lucky enough on 2 occasions when I was 16 and I got tickets for 2 R-rated films without an ID(the films were See No Evil and The Descent, I got into the latter film by explaining that I wasn't asked for an ID last time, and it worked! :o )

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:07 pm
Well unfortunately, since I tried getting the tickets, they decided to make sure I wouldn't go see it and would come in periodically and make sure I was still in Transformers. Talk about cruel and unusual punishment! :lol:

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:19 pm
Director

Do you know what's worse than an R rated movie, stupif films that thinks the audience is stupid. Those types of films should be R rated. Most R rated films have that rating because they drop the "F" bomb two times at least, if a 14 year old has the maturity to watch an R rated film and take it seriously, then let the 14 year old see the film. I'll rather have a 12 or 13 year old watch an intelligent R rated film, then some sham , stupid PG or PG-13 movie.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:09 pm
Profile YIM
I see, well you could always come back another day and try that or do it at a different theater.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:10 pm
If you're going to have the rules, then you should probably enforce them. The rules is, a parent or guardian has to accompany someone under 17 to an R-rated film. Someone only qualifies as a guardian if they are 25. At the theater I worked for, we would sell multiple tickets to rated R films only to people 21 or older.

Now, the MPAA's standards are ridiculous, but I wouldn't blame your neighborhood theater for enforcing the rules, or guidelines.
What I would blame is the major chains bowing down to the MPAA is enforcing these guidelines (not laws). I would blame the MPAA for making ambiguous and ambivalent judgments of films. Decrying profanity and nudity, while celebrating violence has become a pattern in the MPAA's rulings, and it's about time for a new ratings system that more accurately reflects our culture.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:38 pm
Trevor wrote:
If you're going to have the rules, then you should probably enforce them. The rules is, a parent or guardian has to accompany someone under 17 to an R-rated film. Someone only qualifies as a guardian if they are 25. At the theater I worked for, we would sell multiple tickets to rated R films only to people 21 or older.

Now, the MPAA's standards are ridiculous, but I wouldn't blame your neighborhood theater for enforcing the rules, or guidelines.
What I would blame is the major chains bowing down to the MPAA is enforcing these guidelines (not laws). I would blame the MPAA for making ambiguous and ambivalent judgments of films. Decrying profanity and nudity, while celebrating violence has become a pattern in the MPAA's rulings, and it's about time for a new ratings system that more accurately reflects our culture.
Yeah well this wasn't an independent neighboorhood theater, it was a Marcus Cinema a very popular theater chain, and the one near me was supposedly the ONLY theater to have that rule, and I mentioned that to James in an Email, and he said it was the most unusual rule he'd ever heard of a theater having.
Anyways i'm REALLY glad they dropped that ridiculous rule.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:31 pm
Vexer wrote:
Trevor wrote:

Yeah well this wasn't an independent neighboorhood theater, it was a Marcus Cinema a very popular theater chain, and the one near me was supposedly the ONLY theater to have that rule, and I mentioned that to James in an Email, and he said it was the most unusual rule he'd ever heard of a theater having.
Anyways i'm REALLY glad they dropped that ridiculous rule.

Ah, well I worked for one of the major chains and they enforced this rule.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:01 pm
Cinematographer

corpen11 wrote:
Do you know what's worse than an R rated movie, stupif films that thinks the audience is stupid. Those types of films should be R rated. Most R rated films have that rating because they drop the "F" bomb two times at least, if a 14 year old has the maturity to watch an R rated film and take it seriously, then let the 14 year old see the film. I'll rather have a 12 or 13 year old watch an intelligent R rated film, then some sham , stupid PG or PG-13 movie.

Better yet, just stop making the stupid PG or PG-13 movie. Then all you would have are well made and stimulating films to see, and stupid people would cease to exist, and everyone would be happy.

Sorry, just playing devil's advocate. Its the crappy movies that make truly good films that much better. Without them, things would get boring, eh? Life needs contrast.

Back on topic - It is a double standard. The same thing goes for video games and the M rating. It's inefficient and generally does not work. And these days, ratings have been getting more and more arbitrary. I can name several R rated movies that are most definitely overrated (3:10 to Yuma... R? really?) and several PG-13s that are really pushing the criteria. That's what happens when you try to label individual movies with an arbitrary and often too general system.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:45 pm
Here's something interesting that i'm surprised no one else has mentioned yet-I remember last year I heard that the MPAA was splitting the R-rating into 2 different ratings,-SR(soft R) and HR(hard R) soft R would be used to label films that just had bad language and other minor things, and presumable younger teenagers would be allowed to see those films at theaters, and HR would be used to label films with extreme graphic violence such as the Saw films, and presumably only older teenagers and adults would be allowed to watch those in theaters, it sounded like a good plan, I wonder why I haven't heard anything about it since last year though, anyone else think it's a good idea?

Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:40 pm
Vexer wrote:
Here's something interesting that i'm surprised no one else has mentioned yet-I remember last year I heard that the MPAA was splitting the R-rating into 2 different ratings,-SR(soft R) and HR(hard R) soft R would be used to label films that just had bad language and other minor things, and presumable younger teenagers would be allowed to see those films at theaters, and HR would be used to label films with extreme graphic violence such as the Saw films, and presumably only older teenagers and adults would be allowed to watch those in theaters, it sounded like a good plan, I wonder why I haven't heard anything about it since last year though, anyone else think it's a good idea?

Hmmm...I never heard of that but I'm not a fan cause it's still subjective and movie execs can easily cut things from a Hard R to a soft R or vice versa. I think the best course of action is just describing what's in a movie and leave it at that, it's totally objective here.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:49 pm
I remember I went to the theater and saw The Matrix Reloaded in theaters when I was 14 without an adult. I went with a friend who was the same age and all that had to happen for me to get in the movie was for my mom to go in and buy the tickets and tell them we had permission and they said ok. Funny thing is shouldn't that only count for me since she is of no relation to my friend? Seems like my town is the opposite of the original poster.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:30 am
Director

darthyoshi wrote:
corpen11 wrote:

Better yet, just stop making the stupid PG or PG-13 movie. Then all you would have are well made and stimulating films to see, and stupid people would cease to exist, and everyone would be happy.

Sorry, just playing devil's advocate. Its the crappy movies that make truly good films that much better. Without them, things would get boring, eh? Life needs contrast.

Back on topic - It is a double standard. The same thing goes for video games and the M rating. It's inefficient and generally does not work. And these days, ratings have been getting more and more arbitrary. I can name several R rated movies that are most definitely overrated (3:10 to Yuma... R? really?) and several PG-13s that are really pushing the criteria. That's what happens when you try to label individual movies with an arbitrary and often too general system.

I can understand your view, but I hate how this country is forced to watch pure crap for entertainment, people deserves better than what most studios are giving to the audience.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:13 am
Profile YIM
I love Canada :mrgreen:

18A (i.e. an American R) is so rare...90% of R movies get bumped down to either 14A or even PG sometimes...

fyi

G
PG
14A
18A
R

(A = adult accompaniment)

Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:50 pm
I have a question for those who know the movie exhibition business better than I do...why do the theaters enforce ratings policies at all?

Checking an ID at the ticket counter I guess is easy enough, but other tactics, like not selling multiple tickets to a 24-year old, checking ID's a second time outside the auditorium, stuff like that--isn't it a waste of theater resources for no real benefit?

I remember James mentioning in one of his Reelthoughts columns how, while distributors may certainly hate it, theaters have no real economic incentive to crack down on multiple feature-hopping. The longer people sit watching a movie(s), the more likely they are to go to the concession stand and buy expensive snacks.

In the same way, wouldn't a theater that was more lax--that "allowed" it to be easier for teens (their biggest and most important audience) to get into R-rated movies--be more profitable?

I guess I just don't see why a profit-seeking theater would put any effort (other than a standard ID check at the ticket counter) into strictly enforcing R-rating policies.

If they do, they're just going to drive all these cash-carrying teenagers to the theater across town where the kids know they can get into the R movie they want to see.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:57 pm
n4ry4 wrote:
I have a question for those who know the movie exhibition business better than I do...why do the theaters enforce ratings policies at all?

Checking an ID at the ticket counter I guess is easy enough, but other tactics, like not selling multiple tickets to a 24-year old, checking ID's a second time outside the auditorium, stuff like that--isn't it a waste of theater resources for no real benefit?

I remember James mentioning in one of his Reelthoughts columns how, while distributors may certainly hate it, theaters have no real economic incentive to crack down on multiple feature-hopping. The longer people sit watching a movie(s), the more likely they are to go to the concession stand and buy expensive snacks.

In the same way, wouldn't a theater that was more lax--that "allowed" it to be easier for teens (their biggest and most important audience) to get into R-rated movies--be more profitable?

I guess I just don't see why a profit-seeking theater would put any effort (other than a standard ID check at the ticket counter) into strictly enforcing R-rating policies.

If they do, they're just going to drive all these cash-carrying teenagers to the theater across town where the kids know they can get into the R movie they want to see.
Exactly! i stopped going ot Marcus Cinema on a regular basis after they came up with that rule(so far i've only been there tiwce since then, once to see My Bloody Valentine in 3-D, and once to see Crank 2 since it was the only theater near me showing it) after that I started going to the Tinseltown Theater in Kenosha, Wisconsin, and I liked that place better, cause not only do they have competent employees and no ridiculous rules, they also have arcade games, which gives you something to do if you arrive early or are trying to kill time until the next showing of a movie.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:10 pm
n4ry4 wrote:

For individual theater managers, yes it makes sense to let as many people in as possible. But on the corporate level, they have made a deal to enforce these guidelines. Thus, you will get some theater managers that take their job of being a corporate tool too seriously and just enforce the rules strictly.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:28 pm
Trevor wrote:
For individual theater managers, yes it makes sense to let as many people in as possible. But on the corporate level, they have made a deal to enforce these guidelines. Thus, you will get some theater managers that take their job of being a corporate tool too seriously and just enforce the rules strictly.

There is absolutely nothing toolish about enforcing the rules. The rules may be stuid or misguided, but if it's your job to enforce them...enforce them. I have a thousand times more respect for those that enforce it over those that don't. Now, obviously, you can be a tool or a jerk in the way you explain and enforce the rules on people, but enforcing them isn't doing anything wrong or tight-ass.

I feel bad for the enforcers of rules, in any industry, who take shit from people when it is the fault of the coorperation for having the dumb rules in the first place. Do I think the MPAA rules make sense? No way. However, enforcing them if they are there makes all the sense in the world. It's not like anyone's rights are being infringed here.

So please, people, whether it's late fees or MPAA rules, if you get called out on it don't blame the person you're interacting with, blame the system. Seriously.

And for the record, I really don't work in the film industry in any capacity.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:45 pm
Shade wrote:
Trevor wrote:

There is absolutely nothing toolish about enforcing the rules. The rules may be stuid or misguided, but if it's your job to enforce them...enforce them. I have a thousand times more respect for those that enforce it over those that don't. Now, obviously, you can be a tool or a jerk in the way you explain and enforce the rules on people, but enforcing them isn't doing anything wrong or tight-ass.

I feel bad for the enforcers of rules, in any industry, who take shit from people when it is the fault of the coorperation for having the dumb rules in the first place. Do I think the MPAA rules make sense? No way. However, enforcing them if they are there makes all the sense in the world. It's not like anyone's rights are being infringed here.

So please, people, whether it's late fees or MPAA rules, if you get called out on it don't blame the person you're interacting with, blame the system. Seriously.

And for the record, I really don't work in the film industry in any capacity.

I think this is actually the very definition of being a tool. It is in your best interest to not enforce these rules. No one is going to know if you don't (the chain I worked for didn't use secret shoppers). The rules themselves are ridiculous in my opinion, and I think individual managers should make up their own minds.
Of course it's not doing anything wrong to enforce them, but it is being a corporate tool if you do it just because you're told to (again, it's not a law).

Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:59 pm
Trevor wrote:
I think this is actually the very definition of being a tool. It is in your best interest to not enforce these rules. No one is going to know if you don't (the chain I worked for didn't use secret shoppers). The rules themselves are ridiculous in my opinion, and I think individual managers should make up their own minds.
Of course it's not doing anything wrong to enforce them, but it is being a corporate tool if you do it just because you're told to (again, it's not a law).

I agree that the rule is stupid -- but that's far from the point.

Do I think managers should be able to make up their own mind? Yes I do. But the rules say they can't.

If you work for someone, you should do what they tell you. If you disagree with what they tell you, you should OPENLY disregard the rule, or quit. Period. Shuffling underage kids in to boost numbers is being a corporate tool too.

I think we have slightly different definitions of the word, though. If someone doesn't enforce the rules, they're a jackass. Why cut corners?

Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:03 am