Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:27 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Breaking Bad 
Post Breaking Bad
Truly one of the greatest television programs currently airing (if not the greatest). You owe it to yourself to watch.

From AMC's official website:

Quote:
Breaking Bad follows protagonist Walter White (Bryan Cranston), a chemistry teacher who lives in New Mexico with his wife (Anna Gunn) and teenage son (RJ Mitte) who has cerebral palsy. White is diagnosed with Stage III cancer and given a prognosis of two years left to live. With a new sense of fearlessness based on his medical prognosis, and a desire to secure his family's financial security, White chooses to enter a dangerous world of drugs and crime and ascends to power in this world. The series explores how a fatal diagnosis such as White's releases a typical man from the daily concerns and constraints of normal society and follows his transformation from mild family man to a kingpin of the drug trade.

Any other fans out there?

Sun May 03, 2009 8:23 pm
Post Re: Breaking Bad
This is the next television show I'll be watching up to the most recent episode. The entire first season and most of the second is available on demand and, for Bryan Cranston alone, I'm going to tune in. One of those "oh... THAT guy!" actors that is incredibly talented, versatile, and reliable for starring in something at the very least interesting. I'll start in on it next week.

Sun May 03, 2009 10:20 pm
Director

When school is up for me and summer hits, I'll definitely be watching this show. There's not a doubt in my mind.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sun May 03, 2009 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Just watched my first episode last sunday....I had been briefed on the plot from wikipedia. Question for regulars---is it always so depressing? Nothing really went right for the guy...

Wed May 06, 2009 8:22 am
hgs0814 wrote:
Just watched my first episode last sunday....I had been briefed on the plot from wikipedia. Question for regulars---is it always so depressing? Nothing really went right for the guy...

Was your first episode the pilot or the one that premiered on Sunday? If the latter, I strongly recommend you going back and starting from the beginning. It's hard to get the full effect of the series unless you've seen it as a whole.

As for the depressing aspect... yes and no. I mean, he's definitely in a tragic situation, but one of the show's biggest strengths is its ability to mix a little humor in with the serious. I've never finished any episode feeling depressed, if that helps.

Wed May 06, 2009 12:34 pm
In my opinion Breaking Bad is probably the best television show currently on TV. I don't know if this is a spoiler thread but
[Reveal] Spoiler:
nothing ever seems to go right with Walter and Jessie even the positives are seen through negative lenses like cancer remission

All in all this show is a very dark comedy if it can be called that

Mon May 11, 2009 9:54 pm
Now that the second season is over, this is a perfect time to catch up on the show. Be it through iTunes, the DVDs, or less than legal means, you need to catch up on this show before Season 3 starts.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:28 pm
I've heard nothing but good things about it. I was just talking to my cousin the other day and he brought up the show and he was also singing its praises so I think I'll be getting into it soon...

Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:43 am
Director

I watched the first two seasons in about a week's time.

I'm now a huge fan, however, this is like the most depressing show I've seen. That said, Bryan Cranston is outstanding, although equally impressive is Aaron Paul as the drugee who Cranston needs in order to be successful. Raymond Cruz also has a great string of episodes as the menacing Tuco, he flat-out takes over the screen whenever he's on it.

Just a phenomenal show all-around, although as said, super depressing.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Just found this fake epk footage with Cranston and Dean Norris (Hank).

Funny stuff.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:44 pm
Update:

Breaking Bad's second season has been nominated for 5 Primetime Emmys:

Outstanding Drama Series
Outstanding Lead Actor In a Drama Series (Bryan Cranston)
Outsanding Supporting Actor In a Drama Series (Aaron Paul)
Outstanding Cinematography For A One Hour Series
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series

I'm kind of surprised the show didn't also receive nods for writing or directing, but overall this is great news.

Viva la Cranston!

Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:53 pm
Director

GunBehindTheToilet wrote:
Update:

Breaking Bad's second season has been nominated for 5 Primetime Emmys:

Outstanding Drama Series
Outstanding Lead Actor In a Drama Series (Bryan Cranston)
Outsanding Supporting Actor In a Drama Series (Aaron Paul)
Outstanding Cinematography For A One Hour Series
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series

I'm kind of surprised the show didn't also receive nods for writing or directing, but overall this is great news.

Viva la Cranston!

As much as I love Cranston's work, I'll be rooting for Michael C. Hall to win Best Actor for "Dexter", Cranston won it last year. I think Paul deserves to get recognized, his work as the Jesse Pinkman character was brilliant stuff, hope he gets it. I wonder why Anna Gunn wasn't nominated for an Emmy, I thought she was also outstanding, you really believe nothing gets by her, no matter how clever Walt may think he is.

Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:26 am
Profile WWW
More than anything, this show is just the best-looking thing on tv, so I do hope it takes home those cinematography/editing awards. You can always count on seeing like 5 or 6 really fascinating shots per episode

Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:13 pm
I can't wait for the next season to begin airing. Possibly my favorite show on television right now. I am in love with the way that Season 2 ended.

Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:21 pm
Director

Do they have an award for guest spots in TV? If so, Mark Margolis as the mute, wheelchair bound, bell ringing guy should be nominated.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:55 pm
Director

DylnFan96818 wrote:
Do they have an award for guest spots in TV? If so, Mark Margolis as the mute, wheelchair bound, bell ringing guy should be nominated.

That was indeed one quietly intense episode.

I would nominate either Raymond Cruz (who was superb as the out-of-control but utterly believable Tuco) or Bob Odenkirk (as that slimy clean-up guy).

Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Director

Who's pumped for the season premiere tonight?

After watching three episodes over again (the Season 1 pilot, the middle episode of season one, and an episode from Season 2 - AMC ran it during Friday night), I'm really excited about what Season 3 has in store for its following.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Director

I pity anyone not watching this show right now.

Last night's episode was simply outstanding, with one of the most dynamite, awesome endings to an episode ever captured on TV.

Mon May 03, 2010 10:35 am
Profile WWW
I've had the DVDs for a while and only recently watched the first episode. Great. The performances were freakishly good and the story, convoluted as it got, raised some nice moral questions.

Mon May 03, 2010 5:08 pm
DunkinDan89 wrote:
I pity anyone not watching this show right now.

Last night's episode was simply outstanding, with one of the most dynamite, awesome endings to an episode ever captured on TV.

Yes, this show is by far the best thing I've seen on television since The Wire. Usually I'll wait for a series to end to watch it in full but I just couldn't wait with this one. I downloaded the first eight episodes of season three about ten hours ago and have watched them straight through. It's impossible to stop watching! I'm writing this at 5.10am with a 9.00am start. :cry:

Agree with you above Dan,

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Watching Hank take on those two Mexican hit men is one of the most intense scenes I can remember watching on television. Thought season three started out a little slow but the last few three episodes have been incredible. Didn't expect Gus (how good is Giancarlo Esposito in this series???) to take out the Mexican boss in 'I See You'. Surely there will be repercussions!

Mon May 10, 2010 3:07 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next