Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:07 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT) 
Post Re: Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT)
Yes, do tell, and hello Eric,

My students always ask, if I had a change in careers right now, what would it be, and I state Film Editing.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:35 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
JamesBond007 wrote:
Hi, my name is whatever you choose to call me. I'm a big comic book superhero (CBS) and James Bond junkie. I'm 27. I'm unemployed. And that's it really.

:).

Hi James Bond 007

I'm a huge fan of your movies and can honestly say that your adventures with Auric were the first thing I saw in a theater (though i was a little young at the time to appreciate Pussy and her friends) . I've followed you for over 40 years and now welcome you to the forum :-)

Rob

Thanks, Rob, :).

May I have a vodka martini, please? Shaken, not stirred.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:57 am
Hi everyone,

I think I'll keep my real name to myself for the moment (paranoia is one of my least endearing personality traits sadly). I'm a 23 year old grad student studying English literature at a university in the northeastern United States. I have undergraduate degrees in History and English. As I have no academic background in film, I expect to learn a few things from board members here. I've been reading James Berardinelli's reviews for over ten years now. As I'm sure everyone here already knows, he writes the most reliable and well written reviews on the net.

This seems like a great community in the making.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:07 am
Hi, I'm Katie, I'm 25, I'm from the Gold Coast (Australia). I recently completed an arts degree and I am about to start work in my first ever grown up job. I love movies, and I love talking about movies. James' reviews are the best. I also like Margaret and David. I have a bad habit of hiring out the same movies over and over again rather than watching ones I haven't seen, but I try to use this site to broaden my horizons. I am always keen for recommendations, so don't hesitate to order me to watch anything. Aside from that, I like my dogs, reading, my fiance, my sister and music. Not necessarily in that order.

Cheers!

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:36 am
My name is Rick, and I live in Greater Boston.

I'm very glad James Berardinelli decided to introduce forums for his website. He's my favorite online movie critic. I tell my wife that there are key reviews that have to be positive before I decide to check out a movie: the local Boston Globe writers, the NY Times writers (A.O. Scott et al.), and James himself. I've been a fan of James' reviews since probably USENET.

As for me, I'm 41, a husband, a father, and a computer professional (UNIX, Java, Perl, Eclipse, vi, XML, etc.). I love listening to DVD commentaries, I enjoy playing the guitar, and I like to play golf and ice skate. I write a BLOG, I post on Twitter, and I'm on "the Facebook." The last CD I listened to was "Paul's Boutique" (Beatie Boys).

Peace everyone!

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:36 am
Hi,

I am Ghalib, 4o year old man from Bangladesh. I don't know how or when I became fascinated with movies, but it seems like ages. It had been a frustrating time growing up as a movie lover. You read about good movies but didn't get to see them. I availed the only option left, joining a movie club. Which was good decision because I was exposed to the World's greatest film makers. But they had only limited screenings through Foreign Culturtal missions, and we used to long for them. They were what you guys call foreign film, Hollywood was only available on bad quality VHS prints. But that was before internet and before DVD. Now we get to see movies in regular basis.

And for choosing good movies from bad there are brilliant sites like reelviews and roger ebert.

Once I had dreamt of becoming filmmaker but ended up working in TV. Which is not bad. So that is it.

To give you an idea of films I like to share you the directors whom I admire : Kurosawa, Fellini, Chaplin, Tarkovsky,Hitchcock, Ozu, Orson Wells, Zhang Yimou, Spielberg, David Fincher, Christopher Nolan, Scorsese are the names I could just recall from top of my head.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:41 am
Billy here. I'm a big movie fan and I've definitely developed a strong taste for the good stuff since I began collecting DVDs; unlike the majority of my demographic (18-24) who'll watch any shovelreel in the cinemas based on just a poster and trailer.

I distinguish between the movie fan (who we all are) and the moviegoer (who are drawn to the shallow, tacky, hollow movies we wished Hollywood would stop churning out).

I'm also a general geek pop culture person, so I love gaming, comics, some anime, etc.

Currently making my way through The Sopranos since I got the series set, and it's f****ing brilliant (gotta curse, mentioning that series ;)).

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:49 am
hey everyone,
My name's Rishi and I am from Bombay,India!
I honestly thought I would be the first person registered on the forum(being the fuge han I am) but WOW its great to see so many people already.I am 23 years old and another thing that surprised me was that so many here are my age(I think there are 3-4 of em),maybe we all started at the same time.
I discovered reelviews in 2002 and have been hooked ever since...its my routine to watch a movie and then open 3 separate windows..1 for the imdb info,another for the wikipedia entry and reelviews!
I have interacted with james 2wice through mail and that was just very exciting.
Anyways I have many passions in life but foremost is movies.I love cinema...all kinds.We(me and my friends) have movie nights almost on a daily basis and have divided movies in 2 categories
1.)Quality movies...movies that touch you,make you think,try to make you realize the meaning of
existence and everything life. example would include...Blade runner,Terminator,Fight club etc.

2.)Quantity movies...movies which are so bad they are good,bad movies,B movies and trust me this is called passion.I love B movies and routinely watch them.
examples include...Boa VS python,most 80's cheese and most Arnie flicks.

I will b shifting to canada this september.As for work I do print modelling and am learning to bartend(recession proof I hope).
I obsess over fate,religion vs science,women,Universe and life.
although I love all and any movies,my fav genre is Sci-fi BY FAR.I am a futurist and have taken few UFOlogy courses too.I love the present and the future!
Another huge passion is Drinking(alcohol).I believe a man who does not drink does not live.Movies and drinks go great and are the foundation of my existence.Again like cinema I can drink anything but my favorite nowadays is Vodka.
Tonight I am having an arnie fest(6th day,Last action hero,Commando,Red sonja,Running man)
SUPER QUANTITY WEEKEND GAURANTEE!!!

sorry for the long rant.Nice to meet everyone and keep in touch
rishi...

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:01 am
Hello all, I am usually called Tim Goens. Born and raised in Texas, currently living in Houston.

I, like many here love movies, probably too much. I remember my grandmother helped me out along this path by letting me rent whatever I wanted when I stayed with her. One such time I set a record for movies watched in one day that I don't think I can top. The local video store had a limit of 7 you could rent a day, and that day I watched them all, and went to see A Perfect World at the theater!

I went to Stephen F. Austin State University for a degree in film. They really do have one of the best film programs in the country. Every summer they are shooting a feature. I worked as Assistant Sound (boom operator!) on one of them. The next year they decided to do two short films and my script was picked as one of them. I have not seen it after I saw the footage, because it is bad. Really bad. That is the way it goes I suppose.

I am currently working on developing 4 scripts and a tv show with a friend of mine. Maybe I can get those to work out a little better. If I ever get them finished, that is.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:02 pm
Hey everybody, I'm Mike, 33 and living in Los Angeles. I've worked at one of the major movie studios for years. I currently am an Editor/Producer, having produced a movie 2 years ago and edited another last year (neither of which are available yet). I've got a degree in film and am right in the middle of things. Even have a top 10 list that has been unchanged for about 9 years!

I also have a massive love for movies, as my DVD collection is a little over 3500 (with blu-ray). James and Roger Ebert are really the only reviews I ever read, and even though I disagree a lot with both of them, the joy is in the writing rather than the opinion.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:30 pm
Hey you can call me Frogster. I am a Freshman and I'm homeschooled. I have been reading Reelviews for a long time now, I can't remember when I started...I can't even remember when I didn't look up movies to see on Reelviews. I love this site and I am glad he opened these forums.

I enjoy reading, playing tennis, going to chess tournaments, playing video games (Halo 3 FTW) and of course watching movies (though I read about them a lot more than a see them). Recently I have been trying to learn how to write code using Blitz Plus, and so far I suck, but eventually I hope to be able to make my own little Flash Games from scratch.

I own almost no DVDs and my family has terrible taste in movies. One week we watched Bewitched, Zoom, and RV on subsequent nights. Woo-hoo.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:38 pm
Welcome, Frogster. Hey, I'm not the youngest guy around anymore.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:20 pm
Hi, I'm Ethan. I am one of the younger posters here, I am 14, a Freshman in High School. I live in Hoboken, New Jersey, across the river from Manhattan, where I attend High School. I am a fan of movies, and have been one since the end of middle school. So, while this passion is somewhat new to me, I am heavily invested in watching films, and discussing them. Among my other hobbies, I love listening to music, and I am learning to play the guitar, teaching myself. I am an avid sports fan, and am a die-hard New York Yankees fan. Previously, I posted at Rotten Tomatoes, and racked up about 3,000 posts there, but due to people being obnoxious, I decided to move on and here I am, in perfect timing. I am a fan of all types of movies, especially crime flicks, or movies made for a male audience, such as Snatch, Pulp Fiction, The Departed, the Bourne Movies, those types of things. With that said, I enjoy all types of movies, and am very open to them, but I hate pretension.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:56 pm
Frogster wrote:
Hey you can call me Frogster. I am a Freshman and I'm homeschooled. I have been reading Reelviews for a long time now, I can't remember when I started...I can't even remember when I didn't look up movies to see on Reelviews. I love this site and I am glad he opened these forums.

I enjoy reading, playing tennis, going to chess tournaments, playing video games (Halo 3 FTW) and of course watching movies (though I read about them a lot more than a see them). Recently I have been trying to learn how to write code using Blitz Plus, and so far I suck, but eventually I hope to be able to make my own little Flash Games from scratch.

I own almost no DVDs and my family has terrible taste in movies. One week we watched Bewitched, Zoom, and RV on subsequent nights. Woo-hoo.

I am also a freshman. Good to know there are some people my age who have good taste in movies.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:57 pm
I am Daniel and I reside in the UK and am a student. I write for an entertainment website in my spare time when I'm not watching movies, chilling with friends and family or getting the shit kicked out of me on the Soccer field. The website I write for is www.atnzone.com anda link to my reviews section can be found in the sig.

I've been a fan of James for a few years now, actually find that I share his opinions on comedy and drama but in the field of horror or ratings often seem to differ. None the less he's a top writer and one of my key influences in taking an interest in film criticism.

Hope to enjoy happy posting in the future :D

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:44 pm
I'm Troy. I'm a law student. I am 25 years old, and I have been reading this site since high school. My favorite movie is Rocky, and my favorite movies so far this decade are Children of Men, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, and Almost Famous.

I played trombone from 7th grade through all of undergrad, in marching and concert bands. I like to think I have a somewhat above average appreciation for music in movies. Some of my favorite soundtracks are Master and Commander, Almost Famous, Rocky and almost anything Ennio Morricone wrote for a spaghetti western. I think it's pretty clear that my love of movies and music go hand in hand.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:23 pm
If anyone is still reading these,I'm Jack. I go to UCF, love movies and have been reading reelviews for several years.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:45 pm
Hello

I'm Iain from Glasgow in Scotland.

Been a film fan for more years than I care to remember.

Delighted to see these forums open for business!

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:11 pm
Hi everyone

I'm Alastair, I live and work a little way outside Cambridge, UK. I happened across Reelviews about a year ago whilst looking up reviews online for (I think) American Gangster.

I graduated with a Computer Science degree 18 months ago; whilst at University, I sadly stopped going to the cinema due to lack of funds. I've spent the last year trying my hardest to catch up with the rest of the film world (I'm getting there slowly but surely!), and keep up with current releases at the same time. My favourite films from 2008 were Gone Baby, Gone and In Bruges (and The Dark Knight, obviously :D)

I'm really glad to see these forums go live, and I look forward to chatting with you more soon!

Alastair

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:32 pm
I'm Peter, and I've been a movie fan for as long as I can remember.

My favorite movie is Requiem For A Dream. As far as I'm concerned, Darren Aronofsky can do no wrong.

My favorite directors: Kubrick, Boyle, Aronofsky, Cronenberg, Kevin Smith, Nolan...the list goes on.

Happy to be here.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:42 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next