Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:25 pm

ROBOCOP (1987) 
Post Re: ROBOCOP (1987)
Didn't "Willow" have some CGI used for the first time? It came out in 1988 and was notable for its special effects.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:19 pm
The competition leaderboard has not been updated as far as I can tell and I think I'm up to 5 wins. That said, if I was victor, Robocop was one of the films I thought about for a review. Now that JB has selected Robocop for a VideoView that leaves only Salo in the running....

Great Robocop review, JB. One of my all time favorite films.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:31 pm
Director

To this day, Robocop has been known only as a violent action film that's good; the satire is dead-on for how society will be in that time, at this rate it'll be soon :shock:

Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:51 pm
Profile YIM
ck100 wrote:
Didn't "Willow" have some CGI used for the first time? It came out in 1988 and was notable for its special effects.

I believe it did. It might have been the first use of the "morphing" CGI effect? The scene towards the end in the tent with Willow, the wand and Fin Raziel.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:27 pm
Any of you ever seen the edited-for-TV version of "Robocop" on TV? The profanity edits are hilarious! You can check them out in the clip below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip1x_GvU ... re=related

Here is also a clip of the TV edits for the violent scenes in the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA24ZyCxPBo

Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:28 pm
Geoffers wrote:
Out of curiosity, what was wrong with Robocop that lost it the final half star? I can't think of a better mix of action, jet-black comedy and genuine satire. Since I love black comedy, Robocop remains one of my absolute favourite films.

Same. This is a four star movie if ever there was one.

RoboCop is an absolute favorite of mine since I saw it on VHS back in 1988 :geek: I watch it at least once a year.

And the review is wrong: Weller's performance is great in the Robosuit.

"Murphy, it's you."

Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:16 am
Happy to see this review.

Wonderful movie, absolutely excellent. :)

Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:44 pm
Gaffer

Ah, Robocop. Having lived in Detroit's suburbs when the movie was released, the joke was how close it actually resembled real life scene it many part of the city (w/o cyborgs).

Side note: While Bush did many fiscally stupid things (expanding government powers, cutting into our liberty, cutting taxes while expanding spending) low regulation (and the failure of the government to actually fund the good regulation in place) falls at the feet of all politicians. Don't blame just one man for the failure of all the clowns in DC. Actually, Minnesota did the country a favor to elect one to the senate last year to expose it for all to see.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:23 pm
ardendulou wrote:
Ah, Robocop. Having lived in Detroit's suburbs when the movie was released, the joke was how close it actually resembled real life scene it many part of the city (w/o cyborgs).

Side note: While Bush did many fiscally stupid things (expanding government powers, cutting into our liberty, cutting taxes while expanding spending) low regulation (and the failure of the government to actually fund the good regulation in place) falls at the feet of all politicians. Don't blame just one man for the failure of all the clowns in DC. Actually, Minnesota did the country a favor to elect one to the senate last year to expose it for all to see.

You could hear a pin drop after this post. *cough cough*

In City X, with endless confabulation and the greenhouse effect of social tomfoolery, Robocop could comfortably work in any part of the country. At any time. And it won't ever be inaccurate for all the hysterics and pyrotechnical expertise.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:13 am
What are your favorite RoboCop moments?

Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:51 am
Director

Boddicker's lines: All-time classics(Bithces,leave can you fly,bobby)

Ed-209: How he killed the scientist was funny

The tigers are playing(taps table),tonight. I never miss a game

A great film.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:57 am
Profile YIM
So many great moments in this film. One I particularly like is the entrance of RoboCop in the convenience store scene. The sound as the doors swing open and he steps inside.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:35 am
snickers wrote:

The drug-house shootout
"I have to go, somewhere there is a crime happening."
When Robocop gave that guy "the finger" as he hacked into the police database to find out his past as Alex Murphy
Robocop reading Boddicker the Miranda Rights when he's throwing him through windows climaxing in the "You're a cop!" bit.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:44 am
snickers wrote:
I'm sure there are better ones, but the first one that comes to mind is definitely Kurtwood Smith bursting into the room and delivering the line "Bitches leave!" with a surprisingly understated classiness.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:04 pm
My favorite exchange has to be at the end:

"Jones, you're FIRED!"

"Thank you..."

I also like the bit from the special edition commentary where Paul Verhoeven talks about how DP (Jost Vacano, I think) didn't know English that well, and in the scene where Boddicker comes for Morton, and says "Bitches leave!" to the call girls, the DP thought that's what the characters were supposed to be called. So when he was lighting and helping block the scene, he was saying things like "And the bitches will be over here, and then the bitches will walk over there..."

A really enjoyable, and surprisingly touching, film. It also has one of the great love scenes, where Lewis helps RoboCop re-adjust his targeting scanner, so he can shoot straight. You can't count the entendres in that scene.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:46 pm
coverdude wrote:
I also like the bit from the special edition commentary where Paul Verhoeven talks about how DP (Jost Vacano, I think) didn't know English that well, and in the scene where Boddicker comes for Morton, and says "Bitches leave!" to the call girls, the DP thought that's what the characters were supposed to be called. So when he was lighting and helping block the scene, he was saying things like "And the bitches will be over here, and then the bitches will walk over there..."

Yeah, Verhoeven is a very entertaining speaker :)

coverdude wrote:
A really enjoyable, and surprisingly touching, film. It also has one of the great love scenes, where Lewis helps RoboCop re-adjust his targeting scanner, so he can shoot straight. You can't count the entendres in that scene.

I always viewed that as one friend helping another, not a love scene. But it's an interesting point of view.

"You let the mayor go, we'll even throw in a Blaupunkt!"

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:52 pm
That's the cool thing about that scene. It functions completely, and independently, in multiple ways. I also love the way Murphy/RoboCop reads the line just after Boddicker's death, when Lewis says "Murphy, I'm a wreck." And he responds, with just the right amount of resigned exhaustion, "They'll fix you. They fix everything."

Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:42 am
coverdude wrote:
I also love the way Murphy/RoboCop reads the line just after Boddicker's death, when Lewis says "Murphy, I'm a wreck." And he responds, with just the right amount of resigned exhaustion, "They'll fix you. They fix everything."

I like that line, too :)

And of course, who can't like that brilliant piece of music score leading into and during the visit to his former home, and the static transitions as bits of memories come back to him.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:46 am
Director

Quote:

In the special edition doc, Miguel Ferrer & Kurtwood Smith say it was Verhoeven who kept calling the actresses in that scene 'bitches,' not the DP.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:11 pm