Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:34 pm

Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company? 

What's your favorite video game company?
Nintendo 31%  31%  [ 11 ]
Sony 33%  33%  [ 12 ]
Microsoft 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Sega 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Atari 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
I don't play video games cause I'm better than you 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 36

Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company? 
Post Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
By the looks of things I think I'm the new pollmaster. If any other mods want to make polls here, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO SO!

Anyways, I'm sure some of us like to play video games and I'm sure we all have our favorite game companies...so what's your favorite company?

As a reference here's what the options have made:

Nintendo - Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Wii, Nintendo DS, Virtual Boy
Sony - Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, PSP
Microsoft - XBOX, XBOX360
Sega - Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Sega 32X, Sega Saturn, Game Gear, Dreamcast
Atari - Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Jaguar
Other - obviously the rest like those guys who made the N-Gage, 3DO, Turbo-Grafix and the like
I don't play video games cause I'm better than you - Prepare to be have my finger pointed at you

Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:42 pm
Post Re: Poll #7: What's your favorite video game company?
And I'm a Nintendo man myself

Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:45 pm
I'm between Nintendo and Sony, though I picked Nintendo. The Wii's game selection right now kind of sucks and the PS3's game selection has finally gotten better, but in the past they've been neck and neck. Sony's recent hunger for money, though, has been relatively unattractive. Nintendo's always cared more about the video game community than Sony, which gives it the edge for me.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:44 pm
PC. :D :D :D

always the PC.

screw consoles.

only cuz i dont have one. :(

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:13 pm
I am between Sony and Nintendo also, but I picked Sony because my favorite series of games are mostly on Sony.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:52 am
No love for Microsoft? They seem to care about gamers more thne either compana,y Nintendo I like, but they focus too much on the casual crowd, and Sony just seems to love overpricing everything and sucking as much money from fans as humanely possible without trying to satisfy them, Sony have been an overrated gaming company since day 1 IMO and i'm happy the finally see them in last place were they belong!

Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:37 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU

just cuz i have to.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:41 am
Vexer wrote:
No love for Microsoft? They seem to care about gamers more thne either compana,y Nintendo I like, but they focus too much on the casual crowd

OK, can somebody explain to me what this argument against Nintendo cause I hear it a lot? I mean it's like HOW DARE THEY make video games fun for the entire family. HOW DARE THEY they try to get new fans who don't have a lot of time to put in games. HOW DARE THEY want to be profitable so they can stay in business.

It's not like they're forgetting the big franchises and don't tell me that the other Nintendo consoles were more hardcore. A few franchises and a whole bunch of other games.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:56 am
I was about to say Blizzard but was stopped by two things:
1. I obviously misinterpreted the meaning of the poll ;)
2. Their no-LAN support for Starcraft 2 suddenly makes me hate them.

Anyway, I voted Nintendo even though the limited gaming I've done in the last couple of years has been on a PC. Nintendo has innovated way more than any other console maker. Just look at the evolution of their controllers.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:56 pm
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
No love for Microsoft? They seem to care about gamers more thne either compana,y Nintendo I like, but they focus too much on the casual crowd

OK, can somebody explain to me what this argument against Nintendo cause I hear it a lot? I mean it's like HOW DARE THEY make video games fun for the entire family. HOW DARE THEY they try to get new fans who don't have a lot of time to put in games. HOW DARE THEY want to be profitable so they can stay in business.

It's not like they're forgetting the big franchises and don't tell me that the other Nintendo consoles were more hardcore. A few franchises and a whole bunch of other games.

You totally misunderstood what I was saying, I have no problem with them targetting casual gamers, what I have a problem with is Nintendo thinking casual gamers are the ONLY audience that matters, Nintendo has a tendency to ignore the non-casual gamers, which whether they want to admit it or not are just as an impotant of an audience as casual gamers are. And they also seem to focus more on making money then pleasing fans at times, not saying they don't focus on the latter, but they just don't seem as comitted as Microsoft.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:01 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:

Anyway, I voted Nintendo even though the limited gaming I've done in the last couple of years has been on a PC. Nintendo has innovated way more than any other console maker. Just look at the evolution of their controllers.

I remember getting into a debate with my cousin who is a big gamer; he takes this stuff very seriously and with wild-eyed patronization despises Nintendo and was sure that the next gen consoles from Sony and Microsoft would bury Nintendo once and for all. I calmly explained to him that the kind of genius behind Nintendo cannot be buried and you'd be crazy to bet against their success and we'll....Nintendo seems to be kicking all arses and taking names at this point in the game. The fact that he hasn't played a Nintendo game (by stubborn choice) since the 64 should speak volumes. He's mental. Mario Sunshine was loads of fun and how one couldn't find a way to enjoy it is beyond me...

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:51 pm
Moovy1 wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

I remember getting into a debate with my cousin who is a big gamer; he takes this stuff very seriously and with wild-eyed patronization despises Nintendo and was sure that the next gen consoles from Sony and Microsoft would bury Nintendo once and for all. I calmly explained to him that the kind of genius behind Nintendo cannot be buried and you'd be crazy to bet against their success and we'll....Nintendo seems to be kicking all arses and taking names at this point in the game. The fact that he hasn't played a Nintendo game (by stubborn choice) since the 64 should speak volumes. He's mental. Mario Sunshine was loads of fun and how one couldn't find a way to enjoy it is beyond me...

I'm not the biggest fan of Super Mario Sunshine, but there are PLENTY of games worth playing on the GameCube and Wii that your cousin's missing out on.

I shouldn't be talking, though. I don't really play video games that often anymore (despite owning all of the current-gens). I played through Resident Evil 5 a few weeks ago and loved it (a follow up to your topic from a while ago), but besides nostalgia and phone games (e.g. Spyro the Dragon and Dig Dug, respectively), I'm sort of out of the loop.

But I still play DDR/ITG, so at least there's that. Maybe I should have picked Other instead of Nintendo. I'll lobby pretty hard for the arcade.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:36 am
Pedro wrote:
Moovy1 wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

I'm not the biggest fan of Super Mario Sunshine, but there are PLENTY of games worth playing on the GameCube and Wii that your cousin's missing out on.

I shouldn't be talking, though. I don't really play video games that often anymore (despite owning all of the current-gens). I played through Resident Evil 5 a few weeks ago and loved it (a follow up to your topic from a while ago), but besides nostalgia and phone games (e.g. Spyro the Dragon and Dig Dug, respectively), I'm sort of out of the loop.

But I still play DDR/ITG, so at least there's that. Maybe I should have picked Other instead of Nintendo. I'll lobby pretty hard for the arcade.

I completely forgot about the RE5 conversation. Tanks for the heads up. I'm not much of a gamer either but have enjoyed a couple newer games here and there. I mostly bought the new console for the boys but I do find that I still need a gaming fix now and then. I was the kid who never left the room unless I was forced to when the original Zelda was all the rage. I was seriously hooked on that one and then Metroid after that. I can also honestly say that I discovered the extra lives trick on Super Mario Bros (when the turtle is coming down the blocks toward you) without any help and I remember how thrilling that was, for a second there I believed I was the only one who knew about it. :lol:

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:10 pm
I bought my kids a PS3 and a Plasma screen

Have to say that Call of Duty and Battlefiled are amazing and far more immersive than any movie they will likely see.

I don't even know how to operate the controls and have not bothered with Blu Ray on the PS3 - I tried one and the start up times combined with a new interface and no remote....

Anyway

My kids vote for PS3 and I vote for iPhone apps on the 3Gs

Rob

Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:42 am
Robert Holloway wrote:

Have to say that Call of Duty and Battlefiled are amazing and far more immersive than any movie they will likely see.

I don't even know how to operate the controls and have not bothered with Blu Ray on the PS3 - I tried one and the start up times combined with a new interface and no remote....

Anyway

Rob

You kids have an account here?

Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:45 am
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Anyway

Rob

Nope - the little heathens think movies are boring.

My ten year old said to me. Dad, why do you sit and watch movies when you could actually be in the movie like my game.
That's a hard question to answer

they have no interest and I fear that they are examples of the future

He may be standing in a museum in 20 years looking at the quaint things his parents used to do....

Rob

Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:42 am
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Anyway

Rob

i was thinking the same thing.
also, 3gs - :drools:

Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:48 am
Pure drool

3Gs, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, 2 Dell screens, a 1080p projector and 9TB of external hard drives

Rob :ugeek:

Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:53 am
i still have trouble sleeping knowing about the 9TB thing. its just...unprecedented.

i deal with 800 GB and 1 dell screen. PLUS 8800GT.
Mwaahahahahahah!!!
LOOK at the beautiful graphics....oh the beautiful graphics....

try DMC4 on a 8800. or 9800. the visuals themselves take your damn breath away. no console can compete.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:01 am
I picked "other," because I'd rather go with a third party company. At the end of the day, I don't play favorites with hardware--only content.

My choice is Capcom. I got hooked on Street Fighter II when I was seven, and it remains my favorite game franchise to this day. Capcom Vs. SNK 2 has been my game of choice for a few years now.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:22 pm