Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:38 am

Can't Access Reelviews (or: Tech Support please) 
Post Can't Access Reelviews (or: Tech Support please)
Hi folks,

For the last couple of days I've been unable to access the Reelviews site (entire thing, not just the forums) and since I'm clearly out of ideas I'm hoping someone has a suggestion.

I can, however, connect to the site using one of those free web proxy servers, but those don't allow me to post to the forums.

Initially I tried:
3 Different browsers
Turning off antivirus/security software etc.
Using a different DNS server
Checked my HOSTS file to see if Reelviews was blocked.

None of these things helped so I called my ISP who said everything was fine on my end. They suggested my IP had been blocked or I had exceeded my bandwidth at the website.

I was skeptical about that, but I still emailed James who confirmed that there was no block nor was there any limit on bandwidth.

I'm now typing this on an older machine I dusted off (different IP address to the other machine), so my ISP/cable modem doesn't seem to be at fault either.

My guess is that it's one of two things: either a problem specific to my computer or my IP is being blocked by one of the intermediaries between my computer and the website. If it's the former, then I have no clue what could be causing it. As for the latter, I've tried power cycling my cable modem a half dozen times hoping for a fresh IP, but no luck yet. I suppose I'll have to wait until that IP expires to see if that was the problem.

In the mean time, any help or even some wild speculation would be appreciated.

Ed

Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:51 pm
Post Re: Can't Access Reelviews (or: Tech Support please)
This may work:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/staticpage ... ip-address

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:23 pm
Site Admin

ed_metal_head wrote:
Hi folks,

For the last couple of days I've been unable to access the Reelviews site (entire thing, not just the forums) and since I'm clearly out of ideas I'm hoping someone has a suggestion.

If you ever find out what the problem is, could you post the resolution here? The techie portion of me is curious.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
same here.
i had the problem for a day or 2. the whole site was inaccessible. and it didn't even give an error or a message. just a blank page. even the little R logo didn't load on the tabs bar. so...IF this is the same thing...well. then this is bigger than we thought!!

!!

only, i didn't turn the world around like ed. :)
just waited those 2 days. it got back up running. :D :D :D

try your friend's computer ed.

could it be an international thing?
i mean...

i dont know what i mean.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:43 pm
Have you downloaded anything new perhaps? I don't see how it could affect it but maybe it could.

Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:57 pm
A more technically inclined friend recommended Malwarebytes after guessing you had some variety of virus and/or worm that was toying around inside your system's intestinal tract. Worth a shot. Probably.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:16 am
aameen wrote:
try your friend's computer ed.

Doing that right now ;)

aameen wrote:
only, i didn't turn the world around like ed. :)
just waited those 2 days. it got back up running. :D :D :D

Nice. It's not like I'm addicted to coming here (though it is fun). An irritating problem like this just gnaws away at me until I do something about it.

Patrick wrote:
Have you downloaded anything new perhaps? I don't see how it could affect it but maybe it could.

Nope.

I still think it's an IP Address related problem. Tried everything to get my IP changed, but no luck yet. This week I might download Tor to see if that helps.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:01 pm
Still no solution, eh? Take it as a symbol of the forum coming to the end of Phase I... the phase wherein people prepare their words about how they were among the first to brave these waters.

Also, try clearing all board cookies. Who knows. Spybot File Shredder has gotten me out of some slightly inconvenient jams before.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:50 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Have you downloaded anything new perhaps? .

Nope.

to quote ram, "dude...issues...i have issues with this statement."

damn dude, get on it. dont let that broadband go to waste bro. ive got 15 torrents queued up.

PS-all legal stuff though

PPS-just making it clear.

to make this post useful:
i dont exactly know what the system is over there, but changing an IP should be a piece of cake for your ISP or something. i remember mine being changed almost immediately, upon request.

EDIT-forget the useful part. its useless. ive just been informed that i was under the wrong impression the whole time that went down. and that i am, in this, like many many others, matter - completely ignorant. :D :D

Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:50 am