Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:26 pm

July 03, 2009: "1987" 
Post Re: July 03, 2009: "1987"
Thank you. Now all I need is the 12 Angry Men review and then I can die in peace.

:lol:

Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:54 pm
Quote:
Tracie was part of the reason. A self-described "wild child Valley Girl," she looked and acted the part. Yeah, she talked like that, although I don't think I ever heard her say "Gag me with a spoon." (There were, however, plenty of other colorful phrases.) But, like, every other, like, word seemed to be, like, "like." If ever there was a more mismatched couple, we were it. A geek and an anti-geek. There were three things Tracie loved: sex, alcohol, and movies. Sharing two out of three with her for nearly two years made college an eye-opening experience.

You had me laughing at this paragraph, man. I only have one out of the three guessed.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:37 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Quote:
Tracie was part of the reason. A self-described "wild child Valley Girl," she looked and acted the part. Yeah, she talked like that, although I don't think I ever heard her say "Gag me with a spoon." (There were, however, plenty of other colorful phrases.) But, like, every other, like, word seemed to be, like, "like." If ever there was a more mismatched couple, we were it. A geek and an anti-geek. There were three things Tracie loved: sex, alcohol, and movies. Sharing two out of three with her for nearly two years made college an eye-opening experience.

You had me laughing at this paragraph, man. I only have one out of the three guessed.

You didn't catch the part about Mannequin did you?

Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:26 am
'No Way Out' is the best 1987 film I remember - in fact, it is one of the very few 80's films that hasn't aged a bit (like, for example, Aliens). Not just a film where Kevin Costner doesn't suck, he's actually never been better than here. Also, Gene Hackman, Sean Young and especially Will Patton are great. A criminally overlooked cold war era thriller.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:36 pm
Patrick wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
Quote:

You didn't catch the part about Mannequin did you?

:lol:

Gotcha...

Quote:
The next weekend, Tracie used seductive promises to get me to go with her to Mannequin. It's a truly wretched movie but, on balance, it was a sacrifice worth making.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:13 pm
Another 1987 review I would have appreciated would be The Last Emperor

Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:45 pm
Site Admin

oskarpetur wrote:
'No Way Out' is the best 1987 film I remember - in fact, it is one of the very few 80's films that hasn't aged a bit (like, for example, Aliens). Not just a film where Kevin Costner doesn't suck, he's actually never been better than here. Also, Gene Hackman, Sean Young and especially Will Patton are great. A criminally overlooked cold war era thriller.

Saw this one on video in 1988. It works pretty well the first time but totally falls apart on subsequent viewings. A classic Hitchcock "refrigerator movie."

Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
Great stuff as always James. I personally have alot of love for that time in my life and 87 in general.

You made mention of a ton of my summer faves: Robocop/Untouchables/Predator (wheres the luv??) No luv for Joe Dantes Innerspace?? Oh, and i think i might be the only guy in the world who loves Ishtar.

As wel, curious no mention of one of my faves that year?? Good Morning Vietnam, which inronically is on HDMov tonight. Great flick that never fails to make me laugh.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:01 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
oskarpetur wrote:

Saw this one on video in 1988. It works pretty well the first time but totally falls apart on subsequent viewings. A classic Hitchcock "refrigerator movie."

I gotta side with James here. I heard the twist before I saw it, and it absolutely didn't work for me. I actually feel the same way about The Usual Suspects (which wasn't actually spoiled for me, although I figured it out pretty quickly): both movies, upon second viewing, seem brutally obvious, and all tension is lost. Sure, in the case of No Way Out, the acting performances are solid, but hardly worth revisiting.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:15 am
Trevor wrote:
I am loving the parallel narratives of 1980's history combined with James' autobiography. It puts these movies at a specific place in time in a way that I had not been able to do just by looking at them on IMDB. I love the nostalgia combined with the critic's perspective. Keep it up James.

Totally agree with that. I don't get time to read everyone of James' reelthoughts but probably view three out of five. That was a really enjoyable read. Nice to get some personal background on James' life.

Wonder when Julie Delpy took over from Madeleine Stowe as the hottest actress in James' eyes? Probably a few years down the track.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:20 am
What did you think of Throw Momma from the Train?

I hated the movie more than anything, but I was the biggest Anne Ramsey fan back in the day. I loved Anne Ramsey, and she's the only reason I kept watched through more than 10 minutes of that horrible movie.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:59 pm
Let's hear more about Tracie!

Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:25 pm
BrianB wrote:
Let's hear more about Tracie!

How about you wait until 1988

Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:38 pm
The year I was born. Good year!

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:45 am