Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Your favorite comedies... 
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
Patrick wrote:
moulton4 wrote:
lost in translation

So which part is the funny part?

don't start, plenty will back me up when I say that lost in translation is funny.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:32 pm
moulton4 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
moulton4 wrote:
lost in translation

don't start, plenty will back me up when I say that lost in translation is funny.

Yeah, but there are still people out there that don't find it funny, my mom didn't care for it, and I told her about what people like Ebert said about the film requiring multiple viewings to appreciate(I haven't seen it myself and don't plan on doing so as i'm not really much of a Murray fan)and she argued that it wasn't worth it. And i'm in agreement with her, I prefer films that don't require multiple viewings to fully comprehend.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:18 pm
moulton4 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
moulton4 wrote:
lost in translation

And I thought Vexer was delusional. :D

But it's not a comedy, sure there's the photo shoot and the prostitute but they further the disconnect that Bill Murray was feeling more than making people laugh. Now, if they recreated the "wrong hole" joke with the prostitute, you might have a point but no, Sophia Coppola had to be high-brow.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:48 pm
Have to add another one... I just saw Fierce Creatures again today and even though it's not perfect, it's got some pretty hilarious dialogue. I haven't seen A Fish Called Wanda (I know... blasphemy) but if it's even funnier than the follow-up project, I have to check it out.

"You did not need three guns to capture this animal, a sharp stick would've sufficed!"

"Mr. Sylvester Stallones did not get where he is today by playing in Jane Austen".

(About a turtle) "Spielberg made millions off the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park and they were even deader than this garbage!"

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:11 pm
neco82 wrote:
Have to add another one... I just saw Fierce Creatures again today and even though it's not perfect, it's got some pretty hilarious dialogue. I haven't seen A Fish Called Wanda (I know... blasphemy) but if it's even funnier than the follow-up project, I have to check it out.

"You did not need three guns to capture this animal, a sharp stick would've sufficed!"

"Mr. Sylvester Stallones did not get where he is today by playing in Jane Austen".

(About a turtle) "Spielberg made millions off the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park and they were even deader than this garbage!"

I almost envy you cause I think Fierce Creatures got weighed down by A Fish Called Wanda's legacy...and Wanda is better.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:43 pm
Patrick wrote:
neco82 wrote:

I almost envy you cause I think Fierce Creatures got weighed down by A Fish Called Wanda's legacy...and Wanda is better.

I'll own up to it: I saw them both when I was in high school... and I laughed louder and more often at Fierce Creatures.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:31 pm
Patrick wrote:

But it's not a comedy, sure there's the photo shoot and the prostitute but they further the disconnect that Bill Murray was feeling more than making people laugh. Now, if they recreated the "wrong hole" joke with the prostitute, you might have a point but no, Sophia Coppola had to be high-brow.

just flat out don't agree with that statement--a film doesn't have to be vulgar or low-brow to be funny. yes, they went for a deeper tone and subtlety, but it won golden globe for best musical or comedy film (i know the globes are a joke, but they categorized it in the right place!)

the film is laugh-out loud hilarious--Giovanni Ribisi and Anna Faris's characters, the pessimistic old man Murray, and the satires of Japanese/American interactions! come on!

Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:19 pm
moulton4 wrote:
Patrick wrote:

just flat out don't agree with that statement--a film doesn't have to be vulgar or low-brow to be funny. yes, they went for a deeper tone and subtlety, but it won golden globe for best musical or comedy film (i know the globes are a joke, but they categorized it in the right place!)

the film is laugh-out loud hilarious--Giovanni Ribisi and Anna Faris's characters, the pessimistic old man Murray, and the satires of Japanese/American interactions! come on!

No, no, no. Lost in Translation is a dramatic character-study/dramatic romance with mildly amusing comedy here and there. If this movie was actually poorly made I would accuse you of laughing AT it but it's not. I'm just confused cause I don't see how humor was derived in the places you say they're from. Where you see humor is I see loneliness, disconnect, longing and the feeling to actually belong.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Patrick wrote:
moulton4 wrote:
Patrick wrote:

No, no, no. Lost in Translation is a dramatic character-study/dramatic romance with mildly amusing comedy here and there. If this movie was actually poorly made I would accuse you of laughing AT it but it's not. I'm just confused cause I don't see how humor was derived in the places you say they're from. Where you see humor is I see loneliness, disconnect, longing and the feeling to actually belong.
Or in other words, a film that you can barely tell is a comedy at all. i'm not at all fond of those.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:33 am
That and I know you won't like it Vex cause there's no explosions :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:36 am
Patrick wrote:
moulton4 wrote:
Patrick wrote:

I love the film, but I would never call it a comedy.
It does have comedic elements that come out of the culture shock thing, but on the whole it is a drama. It's actually more sad than funny.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:42 am
Producer

I included Lost in Translation in my list but I confess that I only included it since it's considered a comedy but I don't really consider it to be one.

Same with Almost Famous. Although I forgot to list it which is odd of me since it's my all time favorite movie!

Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:16 am
Patrick wrote:
That and I know you won't like it Vex cause there's no explosions :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No i'm perfectly capale of enjoying comedies as well, I watched Analyze This a few days ago and really enjoyed that, I just don't like comedies that require multiple viewings to understand, perosnally I think comedies are the one type of film that people should be able to enjoy on the very first viewing, not the 2nd or 3rd, etc. Plus I was never a big Murray man(though i'll admit that he was perfect for voicing Garfield :lol: )

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:52 am
Vexer wrote:
Patrick wrote:

No i'm perfectly capale of enjoying comedies as well, I watched Analyze This a few days ago and really enjoyed that, I just don't like comedies that require multiple viewings to understand, perosnally I think comedies are the one type of film that people should be able to enjoy on the very first viewing, not the 2nd or 3rd, etc. Plus I was never a big Murray man(though i'll admit that he was perfect for voicing Garfield :lol: )

Alright....this has gone far enough so after this I won't say anything more on Lost in Translation. IT IS NOT A LAUGH-OUT LOUD COMEDY! Somehow, I think Mr. Moulton is probably laughing at Bill Murray's and Scarlett Johanssen's pain. And the only time a comedy should have multiple viewings is if it was funny the first time and then you find even more things to laugh when you see it again and again.

Now, does unintentional comedies count? Cause if they do, add The Marine to my list.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:48 pm
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Alright....this has gone far enough so after this I won't say anything more on Lost in Translation. IT IS NOT A LAUGH-OUT LOUD COMEDY! Somehow, I think Mr. Moulton is probably laughing at Bill Murray's and Scarlett Johanssen's pain. And the only time a comedy should have multiple viewings is if it was funny the first time and then you find even more things to laugh when you see it again and again.

Now, does unintentional comedies count? Cause if they do, add The Marine to my list.

Yeah those definitely ocunt, one of my favorite unintentional comedies was an obscure 80s slasher called Don't Go In The Woods(which recently got a DVD release BTW)

Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:28 pm
aameen wrote:
absolutely nothing from apatow. shit scripts + a lot of swearing is not funny, surprising as that may be.

I'm a little bit late for this one, maybe. Apatow gets way too much credit for his movies, I suspect. I'm not entirely sure how much of his stuff is scripted and how much of it represents some fairly good actors doing endless improv until they come up with something hilarious. It's bound to happen. If you check out some deleted scenes from Knocked Up you'll find one with Ken Jeong riffing on gynocology, babies, and the like for several very long minuts. He's not particularly funny and this scene is just awful: profane, unbridled, stupid, and sophomoric. A real third-rate drama class exercise. I cite this as evidence that Apatow isn't doing anything more than giving his actors and actresses free license to burn through tons of film until they come up with something watchable.

So, yes, I understand why someone would hate his movies. They have the same desperate energy, the same cast (please, someone, stop Jonah Hill from ever appearing in anything ever again), and usually the same amount of crazy success. I love the stuff his name is associated with precisely because it feels like the best take out of 1,000. It makes for great comedy and, even if the movies are very loosely constructed, it's probably been the thing that's saved modern comedy. And by modern comedy I don't mean the school of Woody Allen. The Apatow factory is the thing that saved us from the claws of Carrey/Sandler junk. I'll take any antidote I can find.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:03 am
majoraphasia wrote:
aameen wrote:
absolutely nothing from apatow. shit scripts + a lot of swearing is not funny, surprising as that may be.

I'm a little bit late for this one, maybe. Apatow gets way too much credit for his movies, I suspect. I'm not entirely sure how much of his stuff is scripted and how much of it represents some fairly good actors doing endless improv until they come up with something hilarious. It's bound to happen. If you check out some deleted scenes from Knocked Up you'll find one with Ken Jeong riffing on gynocology, babies, and the like for several very long minuts. He's not particularly funny and this scene is just awful: profane, unbridled, stupid, and sophomoric. A real third-rate drama class exercise. I cite this as evidence that Apatow isn't doing anything more than giving his actors and actresses free license to burn through tons of film until they come up with something watchable.

So, yes, I understand why someone would hate his movies. They have the same desperate energy, the same cast (please, someone, stop Jonah Hill from ever appearing in anything ever again), and usually the same amount of crazy success. I love the stuff his name is associated with precisely because it feels like the best take out of 1,000. It makes for great comedy and, even if the movies are very loosely constructed, it's probably been the thing that's saved modern comedy. And by modern comedy I don't mean the school of Woody Allen. The Apatow factory is the thing that saved us from the claws of Carrey/Sandler junk. I'll take any antidote I can find.

see major, the thing is...it may be funny. i can see why people would enjoy it. i just dont. ive already mentioned virgin was passable.
if anything, we must agree on the fact that he is hugely overrated. even if he is funny, i dont think so, but even if he is, you can't really say its GREAT just cuz everything around it sucks. i know one can be tempted to think so. by your post, i was reminded of that quote, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

also, i laughed more watching zohan and nosferatu than watching superbad.
that should say a lot.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:28 am
In no particular order:

Kiss Me , Stupid - with the only problem being
[Reveal] Spoiler:
that it goes straight at the end

Monty Python and the Holy Grail,
Kentucky Fried Movie,
Airplane!,
The Naked Gun,
The Big Lebowsky,
The Producers (Mel Brooks 1968 version),
The Ladykillers,
Raising Arizona,
Dirty Rotten Scaundrels,

I left out a lot from the 20s and 30s - it would fill a boo (and many a short films, so I don't know if that counts)

Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:10 pm
My favourite is one out of the following, which are pretty much perfect in my book.

Annie Hall (1977)
City Lights (1931)
Some Like It Hot (1959)

Runners up:
Adaptation. (2002)
Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)
Bringing Up Baby (1938)
Life of Brian (1979)
Manhattan (1979)
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
Shakespeare in Love (1998)
The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005)
The Apartment (1960)
The Big Lebowski (1998)
The Gold Rush (1925)
This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:51 pm
Director

Hot Fuzz, Shawn of the Dead, Superbad, The 40 Year Old virgin, Borat,South Park:The movie. :D

My mom love the Tyler Perry films, I want to be adopted. :x

Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:11 pm
Profile YIM
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next