Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:57 am

Unable to find movie on ReelViews yet link to it at IMDB? 
Post Unable to find movie on ReelViews yet link to it at IMDB?
Why was I unable to find the 2001 movie "The Mexican" on the ReelViews website? I looked for it under "M" in Quick Archives and also did a search? And yet there is a link to a review of it on imdb at:

http://www.reelviews.net/movies/m/mexican.html

Perplexed.

Hboll

Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:08 am
Post Re: Unable to find movie on ReelViews yet link to it at IMDB?
Don't be perplexed. James is working his way through a huge list of reviews and building them into the database on the site.
I think he does a few each week and there were over a thousand to complete.

The mods offered to help the process but James is an engineer and feared Patrick, Trevor and me getting into his back end :-)

Rob

Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:41 am
Yeah, hopefully he'll e able to fix the reviews with th eborken links, such as The Italian Job.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:00 am
If you can't find it on the site, check the old site. Like they said, it's nothing to get angry at.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:59 am
Site Admin

The current # of reviews in the database, which is the repository for the new site, is 1706. The old site had about 3500 pure html reviews before it was discontinued last year. As Rob mentioned, I'm slowly porting them over, and there's a method to the madness. At this point, almost all of the high-profile reviews have been entered into the database. Now, it's a matter of moving the 2000 reviews that generate less than 1% of the traffic.

At any rate, the old reviews are not "gone." In fact, the old site isn't gone, just a little hidden. You can get to any of the old reviews via http://www.reelviews.net/archives.html. That's the "backdoor" to the site as it was frozen on June 1, 2008. It will remain as-is until everything has been ported over. So if you can't find a review at the new site, you can try the old archives. If it's not in either place, I didn't review it.

IMDb, by the way, is no longer a good way to determine if I reviewed something. They are unable to "decode" my database so they only have records of the html reviews. (At last communication, they were "working on it," but I don't think they're doing anything.)

Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
At any rate, the old reviews are not "gone." In fact, the old site isn't gone, just a little hidden. You can get to any of the old reviews via http://www.reelviews.net/archives.html.

It's not dead. It feels happy. :-) It's a nice bunch of history of the three server changes, too.

--RB|!R|

Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:51 pm