Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:54 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT) 
Post Re: Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT)
Hi kids!

My true name is Brian and I am 34 years old. I currently reside in a small town called McConnellsburg, PA. No scholastic background with film of any kind, never even took a film appreciation class! But "I have been watching with interest since about the age of 13 when I watched 12 Angry Men and realized that a film and a movie were different things. I have been a Reelviews reader since I think 1999.

I am married, my wife is an interior designer which should come in handy for me when we buy a home! :) She is a huge supporter of my 'habit' and I could not ask for anything more.Actually it should be habits as I am a voracious book collector as well.

I have no home theater, much of what I watch is played in a 360 on your average LCD television. Among my friends I watch more movies than any of them, but by numbers I have no idea how much I watch. It's a lot though. I rarely take in much at the theater; mainly the price is too much for what you get, and what I usually get is teenagers talking through a movie they should not have been admitted to, adults talking through the movie, uncomfortable seating and sticky floors.

I abhor remakes of any kind, I find that to be the lowest form of art, re-working, re-imagining, whatever someones work is uninspired and for sure unoriginal. There are very few I will even watch, and fewer I found to be an improvement over the original material. I was shocked to see this even happened back in the 40s when Gaslight was remade four years after the original!

If I had any form of movie expertise it would likely lie more in B movies than anything else. Been a consumer of B and Z [and all other letters] movies ever since my mom told me to watch Killer Klowns from Outer Space. So it stands that I watch a lot of what might be considered independent releases too, though most of them are more along the lines of unknown. That love pushed me into getting a region free player that could convert PAL since so many movies have better releases on DVD overseas, or in some cases are the only release available of a film. When people who know me find out I like budget flicks I wind up getting recommendations to watch the most bizarre things, some of them out weird Eraserhead. But I also get asked my opinion on more conventional movies too. I am not afraid to be the odd man out and say I didn't absolutely love something most everyone seemed to love [Transformers is one...] but I generally don't absolutely hate a movie too often either. I try and find the intent and the good in most anything I watch, but let's face it, some movies are just a complete waste of resources.

Let's see, what else...I don't want to get into novella length posting. When it comes to favorites and Top Ten lists it usually is broken down into genres. I have a favorite from most of the titular genres; horror, comedy, etc. and sometimes think some movies are not the genre they seem to be placed in. Star Wars and John Carpenter's Vampires are great westerns.

I'm trying to still write a book, love beer and am on cloud 10 after the Steelers won their 6th Superbowl!

If you wanna know anything more, just ask!

Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:24 pm
My name is Phil Spires. I am 22, and I think I'm pretty healthy for a guy my age - weight is usually in the 160's-170's, 5'11" (and change - whatever that means).

I usually write on my facebook twice to thrice each day, sometimes with confessionals, the occasional short or long screenplay, lyrics for songs I have written, and of course, personal lists for the arts (film and music, most particularly). I even do sports blogs and picks (I finished the postseason 4-3 in the last two rounds and the Super Bowl) when prompted. I am currently in-out of school. Last time I went I performed pretty well in my classes (okay, near number one), which were (of course) on film. I love arguing, discussing, and even celebrating the art of film and all it's many supporters - and eternally banishing it's wrongdoers and naysayers.

I am also a songwriter, but I don't think I should post the link here - I know enough of the hell that can cause in a forum. But I'm good. I think.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:05 am
Howdy ReelViewers!

My name is Joseph Gomez from New Braunfels, Texas (home to the Travel Channel's #1 waterpark). I was born in 1985 (so currently I'm 23 - be 24 in March). I will hopefully be moving in Oct. of '09 to New York City to train at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy as a musical theater major. Junior year of high school is the cause of my love for film. I remember New Year's Eve (Dec. 31) 2001 and sitting at home with nothing to do. Turner Classic Movies was doing a Marx Brothers marathon and Duck Soup was coming up. The cable network I was subscribed to at the time had given it a 4-star rating. I decided on a whim to sit down and try to understand what the big deal about all these old black and white movies was about.

And to this day, Duck Soup remains the funniest movie I have ever seen. My film education comes from watching countless movies and reading opinions from other movie lovers like myself. I keep a blog where I write about theater and film, however, recently posts have been scarce (I'm trying to find a job - victim of the economic crisis here). I hope to start posting again starting tonight (I've been promising my Doubt and Wrestler reviews for a while now).

A bit on my taste: My favorite movie is Casablanca. My favorite movie this year is Wall-E. I'm a musical theater nerd. Stephen Sondheim is responsible for my education on life. The movie version of Sweeney Todd was disappointing after seeing what the stage show is capable of (Best. Musical. Ever. Mr. Beraerdinelli, if you haven't seen the Angela Lansbury starring production that is readily available on DVD, please do. It hurt me deeply when you dismissed the musical after the movie. If ever there was a musical worth re-watching, it's Sweeney Todd. I recommend the said Angela Lansbury/George Hearns 1982 filmed stage production of the national tour and the 2001 Concert version with Patti Lupone and George Hearn.) Singin' in the Rain still holds the crown for best movie musical. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon remains one of the most un-glamorously beautiful films I have ever seen. City Lights is poetry.

I've been reading ReelViews since junior year too. Roger Ebert and Mr. Berardinelli have been the only constants in film criticism that I've read over the years. I wish they had opportunities to discuss certain films more in-depth like Jim Emerson over at scanners. Hopefully this forum will provide that opportunity for James.

When I learned how to 'read' a movie, my life changed. It had never occurred to me that a movie is made out of carefully composed shots. Those camera angles and frames actually mean something!!! And they can tell you something about a film that you may not have noticed before. When I discovered the language of film, a whole new world opened for me and I re-watched every movie that I loved before and I understood them better. Junior year of high school changed my life. And all thanks, to Duck Soup.

Oh yeah, and I happen to think I have really good taste. This post was absolutely ridiculous in its grammar and punctuation. And really random and sporadic. Sorry for the manic behavior. I'll try to compose myself from here on out.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:12 pm
Hey All, Late joining the beta, was out of town on the first days of testing,

My name is Wade, 46, I reside in the burbs of St. Louis (go Cards!) Currently a Fine Arts Teacher/Administrator at a large suburban school district where I run the Music, Theatre, and Art Departments. Married with one daughter who is 18,

I love film, see about 150-200 films per year at the cinema, I have a large collection of films for home viewing, I think the modern Film is one of the most complete forms of visual/aural art that we have in our society today. It encompasses so many of the art forms.

My goal in education (besides teaching the content and the arts) is to teach my students to have a tolerance for other thoughts, ideas, and interests. To often in this society we think that disagreement means one is right and one is wrong, instead of having a tolerance for a different viewpoint. Civility is my watch word.

My other goal in my classes is to give an appreciation of serious film to my students. Every year in every single class I take three-four days and do an in depth analysis of a classic film, (usually BW) stopping starting and talking about it frame by frame. I also show how this technique can be applied to all art areas, Music, Theatre, Art, etc. and how good critique techniques can cross artistic lines. 9 students I have taught, have decided to enter and major in film during my 24 year career so far.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:38 am
Hey everyone. Now that the forum has opened up to those of us who missed the Beta-window, I figure I should catch up.

I'm Danny; I'm almost 20, majoring in Communications at USC and looking to go to school for Entertainment Law in 2010. I split my time between Los Angeles, which is conducive to accessing all sorts of films, and San Diego, which mostly is not.

I run my own movie review site, which is of course nowhere near as large as James', but I would like to think it's well-visited. I see around 250 theatrical releases a year and about 300 total, but I'm looking to break my bad habit of not watching enough classics on DVD this year. Hopefully, I'll have seen another 100 of Ebert's Great Movies by year's end.

Some of my favorites include My Neighbor Totoro, The Silence of the Lambs, Hoop Dreams, M, Double Indemnity, The 400 Blows, Chloe in the Afternoon, and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

When I'm not watching a movie, 99% of the time I'm either watching TV or playing golf.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:14 pm
Hi everyone , my name is Eder , 26, and Im from Peru.
I also , as many of you , had been a follower of James for years (in my case like 4 years to be exact via the webpage), and his reviews are IMHO the best. I hope the effort hes doing pays off, and a great comunity arises, he really deserves it.

That said , I am glad to be a part of this community,
Regards,
Eder

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:15 pm
Hey everyone. I've been following Reelviews since the Colossus days. I'm sure I'll come up with something more to say later, but for now I'll just say congratulations to James Berardinelli for continuing to provide superior film criticism and a great place to view it.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:43 pm
Hi, my name is whatever you choose to call me. I'm a big comic book superhero (CBS) and James Bond junkie. I'm 27. I'm unemployed. And that's it really.

:).

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:52 pm
Hullo, I'm Sören, Finnish student of filthy computer science. I've been reading the site since the early noughties at least.

Aside from movies, I love games, books and comics. I've a blog where I sometimes remember to write about these things at http://doktorkisses.blogspot.com/

Favourite movies vary from moment to moment, but Blade Runner, Fight Club, Amelie, Chinatown, The Killer and L.A. Confidential manage to stay reasonably constant.

Favourite movie of 2008 would be Wall-E if we go by US release dates (with reasonably stiff competiotion from The Wrestler), There Will Be Blood otherwise.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:53 pm
Sören Höglund wrote:
Hullo, I'm Sören, Finnish student of filthy computer science. I've been reading the site since the early noughties at least.

Aside from movies, I love games, books and comics. I've a blog where I sometimes remember to write about these things at http://doktorkisses.blogspot.com/

Favourite movies vary from moment to moment, but Blade Runner, Fight Club, Amelie, Chinatown, The Killer and L.A. Confidential manage to stay reasonably constant.

Favourite movie of 2008 would be Wall-E if we go by US release dates (with reasonably stiff competiotion from The Wrestler), There Will Be Blood otherwise.

Hey, CS is a clean manly degree...I should know. I am a CS degree-holder.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:10 pm
My name's Jonathan Sanders. I'm a music critic based in Southern Indiana. I've published reviews on my now inactive site http://www.inmyheadphones.com, as well as writing for the Ball State Daily News, Indianapolis Nuvo magazine, and currently for Stereo Subversion (http://www.stereosubversion.com) in Anderson, Indiana. I also edit the literary magazine New Works Review (http://www.new-works.org). I graduated from Ball State in May with degrees in magazine design and history. I'm 27 years old and married, and a long-time reader of James B's website (dating back to the year 2000 when I first started college and got into music and film criticism).

Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:16 pm
My name's Eric. I'm turning 21 in just a few days now.

I just transferred to Columbia College Chicago this semester with a major in film. My focus is in editing, however i'm also interested in screenwriting, and, to a lesser extent, directing. I also write fairly lengthly reviews on Flixster religiously, and enjoy film criticism as a hobby.

I've been interested in film all my life, but my love blossomed further over the past two years after I started reading Ebert, James, and a few others. Some of my current favorites are Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy, American Splendor, and Before Sunrise/Before Sunset.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:16 pm
Hey, I'm Austin. I seem to be the youngest one here, so far, as I'm a high school senior and will turn 18 in a few months. I came across James' site about four years ago, when I used his reviews as a source for my freshman term paper, and for some reason I just kept coming back for his reviews. His site's a daily stop for me now and I'm excited to have a forum to go to.

Well, other than that, my main passion life is music. I play guitar and saxophone and would love nothing more than to form a band and play music for a living. I'm mostly into Progressive Rock and Metal, although I have a healthy appreciation for classic rock, death metal, indie rock, alternative, and jazz, as well as contemporary classical music. Well, when I'm not playing music, I'm either at school or playing an RPG or something. But that's enough about me.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:04 pm
My name is Daniel (duh) and I'm a 19 year old from North Dakota. I've been watching film religiously for only about three years now and studying it in a bit more detail for the past year. I'm no film major but I just take a few classes here and there for fun. I started reading the site around a year and a half ago, maybe later. I guess this being a message board about film I should probably list my favorites. Unlike James I don't have a definite number one, I always list off a few favorites instead. I love pretty much anything by Hitchcock (my favorite being Vertigo and then Rear Window and Psycho follow), Kubrick is obviously a genius (Clockwork Orange, Lolita, Dr. Strangelove, and Eyes Wide Shut are my favorites). Besides that I love Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Casablanca, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, the Third Man, and so on.

I mainly became a regular follower of the site because of how much James enjoyed the Lives of Others, that was my favorite film from last year. So far this year it's Slumdog Millionaire followed closely by Doubt.

I also do a bit of writing for my own blog site, but I'll save that for another discussion. I don't want my first post to seem like spam.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:46 pm
Hello, my name's Nathan and I'm from central PA. I love film (with Science Fiction/Fantasy being my favorite genre), music (several genres), and comic books.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:51 pm
I'd rather not give my name. I am 20 years old, taking a semester off from college. I am what is traditionally called a jack of all trades, which I suppose is the reason that I took the semester off. I have reached the point(on borrowed time really) where I must choose a path. My spare time sounds pretty similar to Berardinellis. I would think of myself as somewhat nerdy, but with considerably more social skills then James seems to have. I can't say that I am equipped to discuss films in a scrutinizing sort of way just by circumstance. I'm not old enough to have seen as many films as most people here, but I can certainly say I've seen more films then my friends. If it wasn't for this site, I never would have watched "The Decalogue", "The Up series", or expanded my interest into other film critics and historians which continue to expand my horizons.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:32 am
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
Hi kids!

My true name is Brian and I am 34 years old. I currently reside in a small town called McConnellsburg, PA. No scholastic background with film of any kind, never even took a film appreciation class! But "I have been watching with interest since about the age of 13 when I watched 12 Angry Men and realized that a film and a movie were different things. I have been a Reelviews reader since I think 1999.

I am married, my wife is an interior designer which should come in handy for me when we buy a home! :) She is a huge supporter of my 'habit' and I could not ask for anything more.Actually it should be habits as I am a voracious book collector as well.

I have no home theater, much of what I watch is played in a 360 on your average LCD television. Among my friends I watch more movies than any of them, but by numbers I have no idea how much I watch. It's a lot though. I rarely take in much at the theater; mainly the price is too much for what you get, and what I usually get is teenagers talking through a movie they should not have been admitted to, adults talking through the movie, uncomfortable seating and sticky floors.

I abhor remakes of any kind, I find that to be the lowest form of art, re-working, re-imagining, whatever someones work is uninspired and for sure unoriginal. There are very few I will even watch, and fewer I found to be an improvement over the original material. I was shocked to see this even happened back in the 40s when Gaslight was remade four years after the original!

If I had any form of movie expertise it would likely lie more in B movies than anything else. Been a consumer of B and Z [and all other letters] movies ever since my mom told me to watch Killer Klowns from Outer Space. So it stands that I watch a lot of what might be considered independent releases too, though most of them are more along the lines of unknown. That love pushed me into getting a region free player that could convert PAL since so many movies have better releases on DVD overseas, or in some cases are the only release available of a film. When people who know me find out I like budget flicks I wind up getting recommendations to watch the most bizarre things, some of them out weird Eraserhead. But I also get asked my opinion on more conventional movies too. I am not afraid to be the odd man out and say I didn't absolutely love something most everyone seemed to love [Transformers is one...] but I generally don't absolutely hate a movie too often either. I try and find the intent and the good in most anything I watch, but let's face it, some movies are just a complete waste of resources.

Let's see, what else...I don't want to get into novella length posting. When it comes to favorites and Top Ten lists it usually is broken down into genres. I have a favorite from most of the titular genres; horror, comedy, etc. and sometimes think some movies are not the genre they seem to be placed in. Star Wars and John Carpenter's Vampires are great westerns.

I'm trying to still write a book, love beer and am on cloud 10 after the Steelers won their 6th Superbowl!

If you wanna know anything more, just ask!

Hi SFM, I've been remiss not reading this thread recently. Sorry about that. I feel we have got to know each other a bit over recent days! Thanks for the background info.

I've seen Killer Clowns as well :-) I have watched Eraserhead several times and respect it, but don't yet love it. I'll get there!

Rob

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:07 am
JamesBond007 wrote:
Hi, my name is whatever you choose to call me. I'm a big comic book superhero (CBS) and James Bond junkie. I'm 27. I'm unemployed. And that's it really.

:).

Hi James Bond 007

I'm a huge fan of your movies and can honestly say that your adventures with Auric were the first thing I saw in a theater (though i was a little young at the time to appreciate Pussy and her friends) . I've followed you for over 40 years and now welcome you to the forum :-)

Rob

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:11 am
Sören Höglund wrote:

Hi Soren

Favorites of 2008 are Wall-E and The Wrestler? You have great taste my friend!

Rob

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:13 am
Loafer wrote:
My name's Eric. I'm turning 21 in just a few days now.

I just transferred to Columbia College Chicago this semester with a major in film. My focus is in editing, however i'm also interested in screenwriting, and, to a lesser extent, directing. I also write fairly lengthly reviews on Flixster religiously, and enjoy film criticism as a hobby.

I've been interested in film all my life, but my love blossomed further over the past two years after I started reading Ebert, James, and a few others. Some of my current favorites are Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy, American Splendor, and Before Sunrise/Before Sunset.

Hi Loafer

I'd love to hear your perspective on the recent years awards for best Editing at the Oscars Most people always talk film, directors and acting.
Strange how so many directors love the process of editing most of all.
Hitchcock claimed that he did the editing at the storyboard phase and the actual shoot was a bore!

Rob

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:16 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next