Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:34 am

Jan. 28, 2009: The Column I Wasn't Going to Write 
Post Re: Jan. 28, 2009: The Column I Wasn't Going to Write
Ryan wrote:
Trevor wrote:
Joseph wrote:
And meh to the Springsteen song. While it's well written (and actually strikes a haunting note in the final blackout shot in the film), my vote goes to Peter Gabriel's Wall-E contribution. Those closing credits are some of the best I have ever seen for a film.

The credits were great, but that was due to a combination of the song and the animation.

I actually think Jai Ho will win. Everyone comes away from Slumdog feeling uplifted and it is that song that sends you off with that feeling during that dance number at the end.

The problem with the Slumdog song is that there are two of them. The voters will split on the two, and the win will go to WALL-E. That's what happened last year with Enchanted and Once.

My first thought is that they would split the vote. And although O Saya is a great song too, I think most people think of Jai Ho as THE song of the movie. I can't see anyone voting for O Saya when Jai Ho is the one at the end of the movie that typifies the feeling of the whole film.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:53 pm
Patrick wrote:
But you forget Rob that William Randolph Hearst threw gobs upon gobs of money around to cripple Citizen Kane's stature. If Heast threw a bit more than Kane wouldn't even won the Original Screenplay Oscar.

Patrick,

Yeah, the film was roundly booed at the ceremony every time it's name was read out.
The original print was nearly destroyed as well.

Now that was brave film making!

Rob

PS - The Ebert commentary on the DVD is wonderful in case anyone has the disc and has not listened to it.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:23 pm
The master print nearly destroyed? I know that Hearst was going to pay $800K so RKO can destroy it but I thought RKO basically told Hearst to go screw himself.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:44 pm
Patrick wrote:
The master print nearly destroyed? I know that Hearst was going to pay $800K so RKO can destroy it but I thought RKO basically told Hearst to go screw himself.

Exactly

In 1941 someone offered almost a million dollars to destroy the negative. This was an enormous amount of money and probably more than the film earned at the box office.

I have heard different rumors and stories about RKO's reaction.

Rob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:04 pm
Rob Holloway wrote:
PS - The Ebert commentary on the DVD is wonderful in case anyone has the disc and has not listened to it.

Damn, I've had the DVD for like two months and I still HAVEN'T seen it. I'll definitely do it next week, first the movie only then with the commentary.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:05 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Rob Holloway wrote:

Damn, I've had the DVD for like two months and I still HAVEN'T seen it. I'll definitely do it next week, first the movie only then with the commentary.

Sebastain, hi there,
Yeah - he brings an incredible knowledge combined with a very obvious affection and admiration for the film
His commentaries are among the very best
Intrigued to hear what you think of it
Rob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:12 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Sebastian wrote:
Rob Holloway wrote:

Sebastain, hi there,
Yeah - he brings an incredible knowledge combined with a very obvious affection and admiration for the film
His commentaries are among the very best
Intrigued to hear what you think of it
Rob

Very true. His commentary for Dark City (as well as his small interviews in the special features of the Blu-Ray edition) is one of the best I've heard. Definitely looking forward to his opinion on Citizen Kane.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:21 pm
Ebert's commentary on Kane is wonderful. He points out all the intricacies of the actors and Toland's camerawork with admiration and love. Peter Bogdanovich's commentary, on the other hand, is nothing more than self-aggrandizing. It mainly consists of, "The fifth time I met Orson, I always called him Orson, he told me blah blah blah..."

Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:56 am
chumbawamba wrote:
Ebert's commentary on Kane is wonderful. He points out all the intricacies of the actors and Toland's camerawork with admiration and love. Peter Bogdanovich's commentary, on the other hand, is nothing more than self-aggrandizing. It mainly consists of, "The fifth time I met Orson, I always called him Orson, he told me blah blah blah..."

Yep, it's great

My girlfriend and I watched the film twice in one night. And it was at her request!
She could not believe Ebert's knowledge

He's evidently taught frame by frame analysis of many films and it certainly shows here

Rob

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:04 am
Funny how movies like "Star Wars", "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "The Exorcist" and "Jaws" get nominated for Best Picture and/or Screenplay while "The Dark Knight" does not. I mean if a movie about laser swords, mystical powers and wookies can get nominated for Best Picture and Screenplay, then why not a movie about a crime-fighting superhero?

Last edited by ck100 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:42 pm
Ickibod wrote:
I'm actually less annoyed with The Dark Knight not getting any nominations than I am with The Wrestler's many snubs - Aronofsky not even getting a Best Director nod and Bruce Springsteen not getting any recognition for Best Song are especially bad examples. Hell, Frost/Nixon got nominated over it for film editing, of all things, over it. Very strange.

Actually, I'm more surprised that The Dark Knight didn't get nominated for its great score than it not getting nominated for Best Picture.

Best Song is more of a gyp than the Grammys ... they spend more time making sure no one gets nominated than they do about being CONSISTENT ... I'm seriously considering skipping the Oscars this year.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:46 pm

When the Academy Awards first began in 1929, it was a private ceremony for employees of the Industry to choose the best performances for the year.Who better to judge an actor's performance, than another actor? Film editor's can appreciate the expertise of their peer groups far more accurately than the majority of the general public. The introduction of radio then televison ultimately altered the Academy Awards ceremony by allowing the general public to hear and view the Awards show live. As the years went by, the revenue from the advertising became the primary source of income for the Academy. But the concept of the Awards show has never changed. All the votes are confined to active members of the Academy which number approximately 5800 members.

The majority of the Academy members do not judge best picture based upon box office success; however box office success does affect the ratings of the Academy Awards programs.
This one fact continues to irritate much of the movie going public. The Academy is not engaged in a popularity contest when it chooses winners.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:15 pm