It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:38 am

June 25, 2009: "Berardinelli's Top 100" 
Site Admin

Post June 25, 2009: "Berardinelli's Top 100"
Click here to read topic.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:38 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: June 25, 2009: "Berardinelli's Top 100"
Do you intend to repost the capsule pages that originally went with each list entry?

Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:48 am
Site Admin

Ken wrote:
Do you intend to repost the capsule pages that originally went with each list entry?

No idea at this point. It's a fair amount of work and I'd rather finish porting over the entire catalog of ReelViews back reviews before figuring out how to work in a lot of the "loose ends."

Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Transformers 2 didnt make the list??

Thanks for posting this again James.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:06 am
Thanks for making the list available (again). It also raises a question:

How do you evaluate the films (or their relative merits) against each other?

There are so many different types, styles and genre of films in the list, that, personally, I wouldn't know how to compare them. Do you go by instinct or are there any general criteria?

Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:15 am
Unke wrote:
Thanks for making the list available (again). It also raises a question:

How do you evaluate the films (or their relative merits) against each other?

There are so many different types, styles and genre of films in the list, that, personally, I wouldn't know how to compare them. Do you go by instinct or are there any general criteria?

Unke...it's a personal list. They're not made using rocket science. I'm sure JB made it by saying "I like this better than that.". God help me if I'm wrong.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:57 am
Hey James-

Like most of us on here, I keep a list of my top 100. It's been on my mind more lately because my oldest kid is 15 and she's starting to get into film, so we've been cherry picking some of the obvious ones on my list (along with some other interesting flicks I think she might like).

I've found, in revisiting the list, that mine is actually pretty fluid, particularly if I haven't seen something for a while. So I have some softer entries in my top 100--flicks I haven't seen for a while but remember liking a lot.

For instance, we recently watched Fearless http://www.reelviews.net/movies/f/fearless.html. It might still be in my top 100, but if so it slid down the list quite a bit, mostly because I've seen so many films since I first saw it (I was blown away at the time).

So, my question is, are there any 'soft' ratings in your top 100? Flicks you haven't seen in a while and are more likely to be re-appraised (either up or down) simply due to the passage of time and/or exposure to so many more films?

Obviously, if there are, I'm most interested in which ones they are.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:28 pm
One other thing. Your list contains a rather serious indexing error:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is missing from it's rightful #2 slot, and the other films in the list have jumped up accordingly . . .

;)

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:38 pm
Tuco wrote:
One other thing. Your list contains a rather serious indexing error:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is missing from it's rightful #2 slot, and the other films in the list have jumped up accordingly . . .

;)

Then what's your number 1?

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:40 pm
Patrick wrote:

Huh?

Oh, my #1 is definitely The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. It's just that I've been reading James long enough now that I understand that nothing is going to dethrone Patton on his list.

Ergo, #2.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:48 pm
Tuco wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Huh?

Oh, my #1 is definitely The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. It's just that I've been reading James long enough now that I understand that nothing is going to dethrone Patton on his list.

Ergo, #2.

Ohhhhh.....makes sense now...except for the fact that Once Upon a Time in the West is far superior to GBU in every conceivable way but hey, what do I know.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:49 pm
Patrick wrote:
Tuco wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Huh?

Ergo, #2.

Ohhhhh.....makes sense now...except for the fact that Once Upon a Time in the West is far superior to GBU in every conceivable way but hey, what do I know.

Nearly agreed, actually. Superior in every conceivable way save two . . .

Charles Bronson (CB) and Eli Wallach (EW), respectively.

Even factoring in Henry Fonda (HF), the proof is definitive, and it goes something like this:

CB=0.00001mbar
EW=1,253,987Lv
and, whereas HF=SiO2
still EW>HF.

Ergo, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:17 pm
Wow, that was a while ago. It was a lot of fun waiting and see what made the list each week and of course seeing where my favorites landed on this list.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:57 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

James Berardinelli wrote:
Ken wrote:

No idea at this point. It's a fair amount of work and I'd rather finish porting over the entire catalog of ReelViews back reviews before figuring out how to work in a lot of the "loose ends."

Would it make sense for you to post a link on this "Berardinelli's Top 100" ReelThoughts page to the Top 100 page on the original site? The original site is the only place where one can read your "Comments" for each film, which I really appreciated for their additional insight on why the movie deserved a place in the Top 100 and the personal reflections they often gave on your experiences when watching the film. (For those who haven't seen these Comments, I would definitely recommend checking them out at http://www.reelviews.net/top100/toc.html.) I'd be interested in reading whatever Comments you would write about The Up Series and The Dark Knight, although I'd perfectly understand if you hold off on writing them until when/if you port over the other Comments. Thanks.

Last edited by sjlips on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:28 pm
I'm a little sad about the removal of When Harry Met Sally. Greatest romantic comedy of all time.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:51 pm
I don't think I'll ever be able to make a 'Top 100' list on my own, I get too caught up in slight pros and cons for each movie, so i start to nit-pick, and it starts to get really tedious. I made it to #50 once, but than began to second guess some of my choices and the whole list quickly fell apart while I tore my hair out trying to chose between films. I'm rather indecisive and a perfectionist so I'm particularly bad at making 'best of' lists. I can do a 'Top 5', but that's about as far as it goes. I can barely make it to #10 on some occasions.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:38 pm
timgoens wrote:
Wow, that was a while ago. It was a lot of fun waiting and see what made the list each week and of course seeing where my favorites landed on this list.

It's scary that it's been 7 years or so since we started being drip fed those films...

Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:36 pm
How do you determine that one film(Or group of films) is better than the other?

Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:07 am
Second Unit Director

I have no serious quibbles about JB's Top 100 list, but there are a few surprises for me:

1. I'm surprised Lawrence of Arabia was so low; at #96, it's in danger of dropping out of the list altogether.

2. Seems to me that the two Monty Python movies are over-rated. Although I really liked both movies, it seems like #12-13 is too high. OTOH, ranking comedies is hard to do, and very much linked to personal taste. For example, I would put at least one of the Marx Brothers movies ahead of either Python films, but JB doesn't list any of the Marx Bros. movies in his Top 100. The funniest movie of all time for me was The Producers.

3. Personally, I would list the Lord of the Rings trilogy as one movie. Since Peter Jackson filmed them essentially at the same time, I consider it a single 11 hour work divided in three parts. But if forced to separate them, I would rank them in the same order as JB (I had some serious problems with ROTK).

4. Hard to believe that none of the Coen Bros. films made this list.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:04 am
slksc wrote:
I have no serious quibbles about JB's Top 100 list, but there are a few surprises for me:

1. I'm surprised Lawrence of Arabia was so low; at #96, it's in danger of dropping out of the list altogether.

2. Seems to me that the two Monty Python movies are over-rated. Although I really liked both movies, it seems like #12-13 is too high. OTOH, ranking comedies is hard to do, and very much linked to personal taste. For example, I would put at least one of the Marx Brothers movies ahead of either Python films, but JB doesn't list any of the Marx Bros. movies in his Top 100. The funniest movie of all time for me was The Producers.

3. Personally, I would list the Lord of the Rings trilogy as one movie. Since Peter Jackson filmed them essentially at the same time, I consider it a single 11 hour work divided in three parts. But if forced to separate them, I would rank them in the same order as JB (I had some serious problems with ROTK).

4. Hard to believe that none of the Coen Bros. films made this list.

LotR is ranked as a single movie. They are all #20.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:30 am