Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:44 am

STAND BY ME (1986) 
Site Admin

Post STAND BY ME (1986)
Click here for the review of Stand By Me (1986)

Part of the "1980s" series.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: STAND BY ME (1986)
And only NOW do I resign to bed, with the catchiest iteration of "Stand By Me" humming exuberantly in my mind. You've become a sort of a catchy-song-villain. Just know, Catchy, that you've won only a battle and not the war. Just know this.

Also: What's the difference between a billed cameo and a normal cameo? Is it that in the former the celebrity is credited as himself?

Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:23 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

AaghaazM wrote:
Also: What's the difference between a billed cameo and a normal cameo? Is it that in the former the celebrity is credited as himself?

I believe a billed cameo is when the cameo is actually advertised to let people know that a famous actor actually appears in the movie (even if it's for a brief appearance).

Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:21 am
Second Unit Director

JB says it all: what a great movie. Which makes the decline and fall of Rob Reiner as a director one of the great unsolved mysteries in Hollywood.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:35 am
One of my favorite Keifer Sutherland roles, mostly because (as any Stephen King reader would know) he's the perfect embodiment of the sleazy Ace Merrill. There's a YouTube clip up with all his scenes in this film, and it comes out to almost ten minutes.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:54 pm
Ive always hated the "Lardass" scene. Gross
Other than that, good movie. I wouldnt say its one of my faves from the 80's but its solid.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:38 pm
Good movie that managed to offend the teachers of my (catholic) school (saw it as a school activity) with its foul language ("suck my fat one" comes to mind). One teacher went so far as refusing the have a movie discussion in class. By the way, does anyone think the talk in this movie is representative of American school kids or is it just a bit over the top?

Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:32 pm
Site Admin

AaghaazM wrote:

There are only two sorts of cameos: billed and unbilled. A "billed cameo" refers to an actor who appears briefly in a film and allows his name to be shown in the credits. An "unbilled cameo" refers to an actor who appears briefly in a film but whose name does not appear in the credits.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
slksc wrote:
JB says it all: what a great movie. Which makes the decline and fall of Rob Reiner as a director one of the great unsolved mysteries in Hollywood.

He made North, mystery solved

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:31 pm
This is still one of my favorite movies, it was very well cast and actually my favorite Stephen King book..

Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:00 pm
Patrick wrote:
slksc wrote:

He made North, mystery solved

I'm going to go with James's guess that he was abducted by aliens and replaced with a doppleganger. That is the only explanation how the man could make North (and subsequently, films that struggled to reach the level of mediocre) , after making seven excellent flicks in a row.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:02 am
That trailer is really terrible. It showed everything important in the whole movie.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:58 am
This is arcitypical coming of age film.
This ithe one which all other coming of age films are compared to.
If Rob Reiner never makes a good film again, at least he has this and spinal tap to look back upon. How many people can claim that.

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:04 am
Deberg_1990 wrote:
Ive always hated the "Lardass" scene. Gross
Other than that, good movie. I wouldnt say its one of my faves from the 80's but its solid.

I loved this bit.
It showed how the charactor could think up great scenarios.
It also should how important he was to the the group. It is also important to note that although the loved the story River Pheonix's charactor was the only one who didn't offer any suggestions or any comments about the story. This shows the bind between him and the story teller so well.

I think that when Rob reiner was making films around this period he seemed to take chances. He doesn't do that anymor and bvecause of that his films suffer.

Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:37 am