Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:05 am

BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985) 
Site Admin

Post BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985)
Click here for the review of Back to the Future (1985)

Part of the "1980s" series.

Wed May 20, 2009 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985)
Sure the sequels were inferior but they were still good fun. I still get a kick out of BTTF's II wackiness and Doc Brown trying to explain the plot and I still think that BTTF III had the best moment in the series("I gave you very explicit instructions not to come...but I'm glad you did."). But the first one is still the best, good review.

Wed May 20, 2009 11:34 am
What can you say about this movie that hasn't been said? It's fun, humorous, exciting, adventurous, etc. It successfully blends sci-fi and comedy that younger and older folks can both enjoy. The movie definately has a sharp script with wonderful performances by the cast. I think many people still consider this to be Robert Zemeckis's best film (whatever happened to him anyway?). When people think of time-travel films this is one that is at or near the very top.

The sequels have their flaws and in hindsight they probably weren't necessary. However, they still have their moments and are still entertaining.

You've got to love the last line of this movie: "Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads."

By the way, have any of you ever seen a DeLorean in person?

Wed May 20, 2009 12:01 pm
I haven't seen a DeLorean, maybe there's all in future.

Wed May 20, 2009 12:08 pm
I really enjoyed this review. So, no plans to review Teen Wolf, eh? Bummer.

Wed May 20, 2009 12:41 pm
Second Unit Director

I'm glad JB gave such a great review for BTTF. This was one of the most memorable films of the 80's. And is there any movie of that era that shows up more often on cable TV?

I disagree, though, with JB's opinion about Part 2. I thought it was very successful for a sequel, especially where it showed the consequences of time travel paradox (although Michael J. Fox dressed up in drag as his future daughter really made me cringe). I would agree that Part 3 was mediocre.

Wed May 20, 2009 1:20 pm
Bravo, JB!

I do, however, enjoy the entire trilogy but the first is by far the best.

Wed May 20, 2009 1:41 pm
slksc wrote:
I'm glad JB gave such a great review for BTTF. This was one of the most memorable films of the 80's. And is there any movie of that era that shows up more often on cable TV?

I disagree, though, with JB's opinion about Part 2. I thought it was very successful for a sequel, especially where it showed the consequences of time travel paradox (although Michael J. Fox dressed up in drag as his future daughter really made me cringe). I would agree that Part 3 was mediocre.

When I first saw Fox dressed up as his daughter I didn't know it was him. On the DVD you see that his voice was dubbed over with a woman's to make the transformation more convincing.

Wed May 20, 2009 1:57 pm
Producer

Couldn't disagree more with him about the sequels. Sure the first one is the best, but the sequels were terrific fun too I thought.

Wed May 20, 2009 1:58 pm
Great review, but I'll join in and say I disagree about the sequels. They are obviously not on the same level as BTTF, but they are fun to watch and well-plotted for the most part. I'd probably give Part 2 three stars and Part 3 two and a half.

But, nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed this review I've waited oh so long to see. Thanks! :D

Wed May 20, 2009 3:58 pm
It's a good review from James. However, I really enjoyed the dark side of BTTF2.

I think it's a really interesting movie and stands up well to the original. the walked a narrow path balancing the downsides of time travel while trying to maintain the quirky humor of the original. It's also insanely clever how they weave 2 into the storyline of 1.

Maybe I'm just older, but I have little affection for many (16 Candles, Last American Virgin, Flashdance, Sudden Impact) of these dated pop culture movies that are being reviewed :cry:

Back to my journey....

Rob

Wed May 20, 2009 4:26 pm
I loved all these movies...grew up with them. The second was my favorite when I was younger, but the first definetly aged better.

Oh and I have seen a Delorean in person, and even test drove it. When a friend and I were 19 we pretended to be interested and test drove one a guy had for sale. 30K miles and in pristine shape but it was a turd. Slow, handled like crap, and I couldn't get out because the door got stuck...had to crawl out the passenger side lol. I do love the way they look though...that stainless steel body mmm...

Thu May 21, 2009 9:42 am
Aw, the sequels weren't that bad. They're not as good as the first film sure, but there are some nice moments. Who doesn't want a hoverboard?

Sat May 23, 2009 5:17 am
The sequels have some memorable moments, but as complete cinematic stories, they're perfunctory. All the meat is in the first film.

Zemeckis said something once in an interview that I found very interesting. He felt that the film felt hopelessly small-scale and trivial before it was scored, so he asked Alan Silvestri to "open it up." Silvestri responded by making the score as exciting and large-scale as he could, providing the film with the grand atmosphere that it previously lacked.

Sat May 23, 2009 8:08 pm
love this movie. now i dont want to repeat what everyone has already said, but i will say this

Sat May 23, 2009 11:04 pm
aameen wrote:
love this movie. now i dont want to repeat what everyone has already said, but i will say this

:lol: Tom Wilson is so awesome.

Wed May 27, 2009 6:31 pm
Huh. I haven’t seen parts II and III in years, and although my memory is fuzzy, I’m another poster who remembers them as being serviceably entertaining.

Wed May 27, 2009 7:41 pm
Someone asked about the car:

I was at a friend's house and we'd just watched this movie on video -about 1988 or so, when someone said, "Hey, there's a De Lorean in the driveway!" We called BS, but went to look anyway.

Turns out a friend of the family had one. We took turns sitting in it. It's like sitting in a Corvette, as the seats are only about 4 inches from the floor. It was neat to look at, but a couple years later somebody scraped the entire side when they were pulling into the parking spot next to it. Yes, they really are stainless steel. Body shops wouldn't touch it.

I'm glad someone posted a link to Thomas F. Wilson's song.

Thu May 28, 2009 10:07 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
It was neat to look at, but a couple years later somebody scraped the entire side when they were pulling into the parking spot next to it. Yes, they really are stainless steel. Body shops wouldn't touch it.

Yeah that's why you see painted ones on ebay...body shops can't repair the stainless panels so they just pull the dents, fill em, and paint em. I get a good laugh when I see the description of the car as being "got sick of the stainless steel so i wanted a custom paintjob" what a load of crap. Part of the main cool factor was the brushed stainless body, even if it picked up every finger print. One day when I have a crazy car collection i'll own one...but probably won't drive it much...not very fun lol and pretty dangerous.

Sat May 30, 2009 9:22 am
Ratel wrote:
Huh. I haven’t seen parts II and III in years, and although my memory is fuzzy, I’m another poster who remembers them as being serviceably entertaining.

It's hard not to at least admire them on a technical level. The attention to detail when recreating the dance in Part II is superlative, and the train climax of Part III still has me on the edge of my seat when watching.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:26 pm