Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:23 am

February 7, 2009: "The 1980s - An Introduction" 
Post Re: February 7, 2009: "The 1980s - An Introduction"
James Berardinelli wrote:

Who sent you a copy of my list?? Was it my wife? :)

Seriously, though: Friday the 13th - "high brow"???

Well versus this week's offering it may just be exactly that :-)

Rob

Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:37 pm
Pedro wrote:
"If I had directed Dead Poets Society, it wouldn't have made half the money it made," Payne continues. "Because at the end, he should go in, they all look at him, they feel guilty for what they've done, you want one of them to stand on their desk, none of them does, and he leaves, and you're left with a more chilling feeling.

There's legitimacy to his opinion, but I like the current ending at the same time.

oooh that is a great alternate ending... i'm torn... i'm not sure which one i like better. i like both endings. i tend to favor morose forlorn cynical stuff so i may like payne's version a bit more. very interesting take on it though.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:43 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:

lol the care bears movie!!!!! used to love this show. along with smurf, rainbow bright, she-ra and my little pony. hahaha. totally 80s.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:47 pm
sheryl wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

lol the care bears movie!!!!! used to love this show. along with smurf, rainbow bright, she-ra and my little pony. hahaha. totally 80s.

What? No Jem, what kind of 80's chick are you? 8-)

Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:50 pm
Patrick wrote:
What? No Jem, what kind of 80's chick are you? 8-)

lol actually my sister and i did watch jem.
my mom even bought us the soundtrack

Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:18 am
With the release of Transformers a few years ago, I again got hooked on something I loved as a kid. I had a ton of Transformer toys, and watched the cartoon obsessively (my favorite character, of course, was Optimus Prime, with Soundwave and Starscream close behind). Something people don't quite remember: Michael Bay's film (which I enjoyed immensely, probably because of my already strong connection to the Transformers) was actually the second cinematic venture.

Attachment:
transformers-the-movie-dvd.jpg
transformers-the-movie-dvd.jpg [ 55.62 KiB | Viewed 2007 times ]

Spoilers ahead

Transformers: The Movie, based on the Generation One TV show characters, was released in 1986. I went with my dad to the theater and saw it, and was blown away. This was dark! Not only could the Transformers actually accurately shoot and kill others, one of the characters says "shit," and another says "dammit." I was five. Then they killed off Optimus Prime and Starscream, and I was distraught for weeks.

End of spoilers

Just take a look at some of the actors who lent their vocal talents: Eric Idle, Judd Nelson, John Moschitta (the fast talking guy from the 1980s Micro Machine commercials), Robert Stack, Casey Kasem, and, in his last movie role, Orson Welles. That's right: Orson "Citizen Kane" Welles.

To this day it remains my favorite animated movie, partly for the feelings of nostalgia I feel (and partly for the awesome 80s butt rock soundtrack, which I own and still listen to!). I'm looking forward to James's 1980s review so that I can relive some of my childhood.

And, like most, my money's on him reviewing The Neverending Story. A few months back my friend and his wife got a chance to see it on the big screen. He said that he got goosebumps during the opening credits, especially when the theme song kicked in. Awesome movie!

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:45 am
mkratzer21 wrote:
With the release of Transformers a few years ago, I again got hooked on something I loved as a kid. I had a ton of Transformer toys, and watched the cartoon obsessively (my favorite character, of course, was Optimus Prime, with Soundwave and Starscream close behind). Something people don't quite remember: Michael Bay's film (which I enjoyed immensely, probably because of my already strong connection to the Transformers) was actually the second cinematic venture.

Attachment:
transformers-the-movie-dvd.jpg

Spoilers ahead

Transformers: The Movie, based on the Generation One TV show characters, was released in 1986. I went with my dad to the theater and saw it, and was blown away. This was dark! Not only could the Transformers actually accurately shoot and kill others, one of the characters says "shit," and another says "dammit." I was five. Then they killed off Optimus Prime and Starscream, and I was distraught for weeks.

End of spoilers

Just take a look at some of the actors who lent their vocal talents: Eric Idle, Judd Nelson, John Moschitta (the fast talking guy from the 1980s Micro Machine commercials), Robert Stack, Casey Kasem, and, in his last movie role, Orson Welles. That's right: Orson "Citizen Kane" Welles.

To this day it remains my favorite animated movie, partly for the feelings of nostalgia I feel (and partly for the awesome 80s butt rock soundtrack, which I own and still listen to!). I'm looking forward to James's 1980s review so that I can relive some of my childhood.

And, like most, my money's on him reviewing The Neverending Story. A few months back my friend and his wife got a chance to see it on the big screen. He said that he got goosebumps during the opening credits, especially when the theme song kicked in. Awesome movie!

Michael Bay's Transformers should've been the first cinematic Transformers representation. I was so bored watching that. The only good thing was how Galvatron killed Starscream like the bitch he was.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:20 pm
Hey this is a great idea JB! I can't wait. Several of those movies I have really wanted a review for.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:45 pm
Definitely looking forward to reading the reviews of The Shining, Ghostbusters, and Back to the Future.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:50 am

"I remember feeling so cheated by that ending of Dead Poets Society when they all stand up on their desks. Please. It's saying, 'Really in their hearts, people aren't conformists,' when quite the opposite is true.

Whatever- that dude's got it all wrong. They don't ALL stand up on their desks. It's just the DPS kids. The whole rest of the class is still sitting at their desks. And the kid who rats out Robin sits with them, not wanting to identify with the radical group.

Fantastic ending. Payne's version wouldn't have made that much money because it wouldn't have been as good. He obviously didn't get what was going on with the bond that developed between the characters. It was a movie about brotherhood.

Also, the original Transformers movie was awesome! When Prime died, so did a little piece of me.

It's interesting to look at all these 80s movies- I sort of grew up on them but sort of not- I was born in '86 which means the movies of the 80s were popular when I was little, but there were already new and flashy '90s movies coming out with more spark and pizazz but not as much soul.

I have a friend with whom I share a love of excessive '80s movies. We love a bit of Arnie. I also friends who made a drinking game out of Commando. Have a drink each time Arnie does something physically impossible. It sounds pretty cool, but I'm not much of a drinker so I'll probably never play it myself. One could do oneself some serious damage playing that particular drinking game.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:24 am
I would really want to read a review on Sophie's choice! In the context of this series or not.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:39 pm
I'm really looking forward to read some of these reviews, specially Robocop and The Terminator. I grew up in the 80's so I watched these films being just a kid and thought they were the ultimate action flicks. Of course I got older and then I thought those movies were pieces of crap. now I'm old enough to appreciate them and enjoy the cyberpunk elements in both of them.
Thanks and good luck with this project James

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:01 pm
Hey, Ordinary People wasn't on the list! You trying sneak some on us James?

Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:06 pm
Site Admin

Patrick wrote:
Hey, Ordinary People wasn't on the list! You trying sneak some on us James?

Well, it's on the list now. I just finished writing the review this afternoon and will post it in a few days. Next I have to decide whether I want to start 1981 with Body Heat or Clash of the Titans. I'll do both; I'm just not sure of the order.

1981 starts next week, despite what my calendar says.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
Clash of the Titans

Called it! 8-)

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:11 am
Yay, Clash of the Titans! :D

Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:51 am