Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:47 am

SIXTEEN CANDLES (1984) 
Site Admin

Post SIXTEEN CANDLES (1984)
Click here for the review of Sixteen Candles (1984)

Part of the "1980s" series.

Sat May 16, 2009 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: SIXTEEN CANDLES (1984)
You can make your own cut of Sixteen Candles...you just be in a world of legal hurt.

Sat May 16, 2009 11:30 pm
Gaffer

JB, you're only reviewing two movies from 1984? I would've liked to have seen your thoughts about Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Beverly Hills Cop, The Karate Kid and Revenge of the Nerds. Are you just not interested in reviewing any of these?

Sun May 17, 2009 12:31 am
abwiz74 wrote:
JB, you're only reviewing two movies from 1984? I would've liked to have seen your thoughts about Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Beverly Hills Cop, The Karate Kid and Revenge of the Nerds. Are you just not interested in reviewing any of these?

He has made it abundantly clear that his hatred of Revenge of the Nerds knows no bounds...why I don't know? I'm a nerd and I find it funny...then again he is more of a nerd than I am....

And he has also made it clear that Ghostbusters put him to sleep while watching it for this series so it's been canceled...with a vengeance.

As for the rest, beats me.

Sun May 17, 2009 12:37 am
One thing I noticed - and this isn't a huge deal - but I noticed that he didn't have a link to his review of The Breakfast Club in his review of this flick. This would have been perfect, at least for comparison's sake, but whatever. Bring on 1985, man!

Sun May 17, 2009 2:36 am
Two cents from my wife:

Quote:
"James is full of shit. How can you not love a movie that has theme music for every single character?!"

Sun May 17, 2009 6:46 am
Site Admin

abwiz74 wrote:

Don't like any of them, except GREMLINS (and that might just be because of Phoebe Cates).

1984 was underrepresented, but I'm planning four '85 reviews, four '86, three '87, four '88, and three '89, with the series finishing up at the end of August.

Just noticed - a lot of testosterone in that '87 list...

Sun May 17, 2009 10:37 am
Profile WWW
So you are reviewing Predator.

Sun May 17, 2009 11:42 am
I wonder if he'll be reviewing To Live and Die in L.A.. I haven't seen the entire film but I've seen the car chase which I thought was even better than what Friedkin previously accomplished in French Connection and I love the title song by Wang Chung.

Sun May 17, 2009 1:30 pm
Second Unit Director

Sometimes, the expression, "this movie doesn't age well" not only refers to the film itself, but also to the viewer. I remember my wife and I enjoying this film a lot back in 1984, but we're a wee bit older now and we haven't seen it since. A lot of the scenes that JB doesn't like today seemed pretty funny back then. But we'd probably agree with JB if we saw it today.

Isn't it odd how John Hughes completely vanished from the landscape. For about ten years or so he was the most successful director/writer in Hollywood. Then, nothing.

Sun May 17, 2009 11:45 pm
Whatever did happen to John Hughes? He disappeared like Perry Saturn or Kris Kross.

EDIT: Oh, seems like Kris Kross is back.

Mon May 18, 2009 12:07 am
Second Unit Director

abwiz74 wrote:
JB, you're only reviewing two movies from 1984? I would've liked to have seen your thoughts about Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Beverly Hills Cop, The Karate Kid and Revenge of the Nerds.

The 1984 movie that I'd like to see JB write about is The Neverending Story. It was on cable TV recently, and to me it seemed like an interesting failure. JB is one of the few serious reviewers with any real background in fantasy, so it would be interesting to see his take on this big budget extravaganza from so long ago.

Mon May 18, 2009 6:55 am
slksc wrote:
abwiz74 wrote:
JB, you're only reviewing two movies from 1984? I would've liked to have seen your thoughts about Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Beverly Hills Cop, The Karate Kid and Revenge of the Nerds.

The 1984 movie that I'd like to see JB write about is The Neverending Story. It was on cable TV recently, and to me it seemed like an interesting failure. JB is one of the few serious reviewers with any real background in fantasy, so it would be interesting to see his take on this big budget extravaganza from so long ago.

The Never-ending Story was one of my childhood favorites. I recently watched it again and was surprised to find that I still enjoyed it a little bit. A good recent film to which this one compares would be Bridge to Terabithia although the more recent film isn't nearly as special effects-heavy. Both are about the importance of fostering an active imagination in young minds and both convey their messages in ways that both kids and adults can appreciate equally.

Mon May 18, 2009 1:55 pm
Second Unit Director

oafolay wrote:
The Never-ending Story was one of my childhood favorites. I recently watched it again and was surprised to find that I still enjoyed it a little bit. A good recent film to which this one compares would be Bridge to Terabithia although the more recent film isn't nearly as special effects-heavy. Both are about the importance of fostering an active imagination in young minds and both convey their messages in ways that both kids and adults can appreciate equally.

I agree with you on the positives. But it seemed to me that the editing was badly botched; for example, characters introduced at the beginning that were never seen again; a climactic battle with a giant wolf that was over in 10 seconds. I wondered whether there was a lot of film that ended up on the cutting room floor. There's probably an interesting history here that I know nothing about.

Mon May 18, 2009 5:06 pm
slksc wrote:
oafolay wrote:

I agree with you on the positives. But it seemed to me that the editing was badly botched; for example, characters introduced at the beginning that were never seen again; a climactic battle with a giant wolf that was over in 10 seconds. I wondered whether there was a lot of film that ended up on the cutting room floor. There's probably an interesting history here that I know nothing about.

Personally, I've never really paid much attention to these sorts of issues at least in regards to this movie. I saw it when I was very young and I was just too taken in with the story for these things to matter much. In terms of the climax, I think that the real climax came
[Reveal] Spoiler:
after the battle when Bastian had to give Fantasia a new name; the battle with the Gmork was only stage in the story.
Perhaps the fact that I'm looking at this movie through the lenses of nostalgia clouds most of the negatives for me.

Wed May 20, 2009 5:49 pm
Sixteen Candles is a classic...I could not DISAGREE more with JB'S thoughts on "The Donger"...that guy made that movie...I die laughing everytime his name is said in the movie a "gong" goes off in the background.....and I am embarassed to admit to this day when me and my friends are at a pub or ball game and we start to get hungry one of us will always say" Donger need food"....and we all laugh like it is the first time we have heard it....and the funniest bit in the whole movie is when Grandpa calls the police to report The Donger missing and he is describing what he was wearing and he stops and says in mid sentence..."no he's not retarded!"...that is great stuff

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:25 am