Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:06 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 840  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
dazed and confused - quite good. it feels odd saying this, but it would've been better without the soundtrack. 8/10

Wed May 13, 2009 11:16 am
Aliens - I figured that since I watched the Terminators the other night and then Strange Days, I would just watch everything that I have in my DVD collection by James Cameron. Aliens is probably his best. It has action, suspense, humor, horror and surprising pathos. I always feel on-edge every time I see it.

Wed May 13, 2009 12:33 pm
I rewatched American Beauty last night. I'm in the school of thought that believes it's something of a masterpiece and is no way overrated, though I was worried I'd like the film less because I've seen it too many times. Not the case.

Wed May 13, 2009 2:50 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
I guess it's time I update people who may, or may not, care about what movies I've seen recently.

Yojimbo

I figured it was time to watch the original movie that has been remade in America as various Westerns. I LOVED this. Kurosawa is a fantastic director. I love the shot of Sanjuro standing on a pedestal above the 2 warring families. 4/4

Great film, but remember he has no name. Sanjuro is something he just made up when they asked him.

/apologizes for being a pedant

Anyway, I saw Kurosawa's Kagemusha for the first time yesterday. Nakadai does really well as the lead(s) but somehow I kept wondering how great Mifune would be in the role. Pity that he and Kurosawa had that bitter falling out. 9/10

Wed May 13, 2009 3:11 pm
Pedro wrote:
I rewatched American Beauty last night. I'm in the school of thought that believes it's something of a masterpiece and is no way overrated, though I was worried I'd like the film less because I've seen it too many times. Not the case.

Yeah, I may re-watch American Beauty tonight as well. I just got done with another Kevin Spacey flick, L.A. Confidential, which is as excellent as its always been. I enjoy movies that have dense narratives and require that you think in order to be able to sort through everything and that's precisely why L.A. Confidential never loses its luster with me. Plus there's action, suspense, politics, violence, humor, sex...everything that makes Hollywood great!

Wed May 13, 2009 11:32 pm
bob harris wrote:
Into the Wild

I have just finished watching this and my immediate reaction is WOW. I am more than a little floored at this point with how touching, beautiful and heartwrenching this film is. Sean Penn has long been a talent behind the lens and this is no doubt this masterpiece. I am incredibly floored by the beauty captured on film and by the great lead performance by Emile Hirsch. He really is developing into a special talent. Catherine Keener's affecting performance was strong as one of the many fellow travelers Alex meets along his journey. What has been said many times and now having seen it I can now agree with is how perfect Hal Holbrook is in this film. He hits all the right notes and his awakening thanks to Alex is wonderful even though you knew they would eventually part ways. Once they do, as he drives Alex closer to his trip to Alaska, the two share a moment and as Holbrook tears up, I breathed in a bit of a gasp. It was an amazingly poignant and heartfelt scene. My mind is telling me that I have more to say about this film, however, I'm still so in awe of it, it won't be right now. 2007 churned out some wonderful films and I cannot believe that I waited so long to see this one. I know I will visit it again. This may change, but upon a first viewing, I see no flaws in this film....10/10.

Bob

I've seen this three times and loved it even more each time 10/10 here as well

Rob

Thu May 14, 2009 1:41 am
DunkinDan89 wrote:
bob harris wrote:
Into the Wild

I have just finished watching this and my immediate reaction is WOW. I am more than a little floored at this point with how touching, beautiful and heartwrenching this film is. Sean Penn has long been a talent behind the lens and this is no doubt this masterpiece. I am incredibly floored by the beauty captured on film and by the great lead performance by Emile Hirsch. He really is developing into a special talent. Catherine Keener's affecting performance was strong as one of the many fellow travelers Alex meets along his journey. What has been said many times and now having seen it I can now agree with is how perfect Hal Holbrook is in this film. He hits all the right notes and his awakening thanks to Alex is wonderful even though you knew they would eventually part ways. Once they do, as he drives Alex closer to his trip to Alaska, the two share a moment and as Holbrook tears up, I breathed in a bit of a gasp. It was an amazingly poignant and heartfelt scene. My mind is telling me that I have more to say about this film, however, I'm still so in awe of it, it won't be right now. 2007 churned out some wonderful films and I cannot believe that I waited so long to see this one. I know I will visit it again. This may change, but upon a first viewing, I see no flaws in this film....10/10.

One of my favorite movies of all-time. Doesn't get the amount of credit it deserves.

Yeah, you're so right!
Rob

Thu May 14, 2009 1:43 am
Patrick wrote:
Star Trek: First Contact

This may be a bit blasphemous to Trekkies but I like this a tiny bit more than I liked Star Trek II. It ramps up the action and awesomeness to nearly insane levels plus Patrick Stewart...in a tuxedo...with a tommy gun...killing two Borgs. How can you not love that?!

8/10

Patrick

One of my fave ST movies as well!

I gave this one 8/10, but Khan eclipses with a 9

I also rate First Contact at an 8 as well

The new movie will be seen next week sometime :-)

In fact dammit, here's the whole lot:

Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan 9
Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home 8
Star Trek VIII - First Contact 8
Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country 7
Star Trek X - Nemesis 6
Star Trek III - Search For Spock 6
Star Trek IX - Insurrection 6
Star Trek I 5
Star Trek VII - Generations 5
Star Trek V - The Final Frontier 3
Star Trek 2009 TBC

Rob

Thu May 14, 2009 1:47 am
Blace wrote:
I just finished Bridge to Terabithia. This is one of the best kid's movies I have ever seen. I thought it was well acted and the story was heartbreaking. I completely agree with James review and would give it *** 1/2 stars.

Blace

Me and my sons watched this several times. I'm with you on this one!

Rob

Thu May 14, 2009 1:49 am
bob harris wrote:
Strangers on a Train
Another great experience with Hitchcock. Great story of two men meeting on a train and one of them has designs on a murder pact. Great tension. 9/10

Woo hoo - great movie

If you have not seen this .....

you have a huge treat ahead

Rob

Thu May 14, 2009 1:50 am
Moovy1 wrote:
The Day The Earth Stood Still. It was just OK. Everything leading up to the initial dialogue with Klaatu was good. Then it became just Ok after that, IMO. I will give it a nod for not succumbing to some gratuitous alien/human hook up scene. Perhaps that's because they were being true to source material but I wouldn't know I'm not familiar with it...

Are you talking the original or the Keanununu travesty?

Rob

Thu May 14, 2009 1:51 am
oafolay wrote:
I just re-watched Strange Days which was just as awesome now as it's ever been.

I had a business arrangement wit the biggest cinema in the world in Brussels. I flew into Brussels from the UK for a business meeting and had a few hours to kill - so I got a cab over to this movie at that cinema. They had stopped showing it because of repairs to that auditorium (the seating)

I spoke to the manager and they gave me a private show in a 600 seat theater with the sound cranked onto a huge screen. Great movie - great days

I love you Kinepolis

Rob

Thu May 14, 2009 1:55 am
PeachyPete wrote:
I guess it's time I update people who may, or may not, care about what movies I've seen recently.

Star Trek

I really like this. I have no experience with the Star Trek universe, so I can't comment on how it compares to anything Star Trek-related. I personally had more fun going to see this movie than anything I can remember in a long time. As far as blockbuster territory goes, I don't know if I've ever liked one as much. 3.5/4

Yojimbo

I figured it was time to watch the original movie that has been remade in America as various Westerns. I LOVED this. Kurosawa is a fantastic director. I love the shot of Sanjuro standing on a pedestal above the 2 warring families. 4/4

The Third Man

What is there to say about this that hasn't already been said? One of the few movies in history that are as close to flawless as can be. Orson Welles obviously steals the show as Harry Lime (possibly the greatest villain in the history of cinema). 4/4

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

A documentary about 2 guys trying to set the high score on the old school Donkey Kong arcade game. It really turns into one man's quest for self-validation. It's unbelievable how riveting a doc about arcade games can be. 3/4

Sorority Boys

My 17 year old neighbor brought this over and asked that I watch it with him. I obliged, and didn't hate this as much as I thought I would. It's stupid, formulaic, and uses mostly gross-out humor, but I found quite a bit of it funny nonetheless. This definitely isnt a good movie, but I don't have the contempt for it that I usually do for these kinds of movies. Who knows, maybe I was in the right mood for this. 2/4

Bigger, Stronger, Faster*

Fascinating documentary about steroids. There is so much information in this that I don't know where to begin. It handles the steroid situation in America better than anything I've ever seen or read. For anyone interested in sports, this is required viewing. 4/4

North by Northwest

One of my favorite Hitchcock movies. The cornfield scene is one of the best examples of editing in the history of movies. Also, an early appearance for Martin Landau is the villain's main henchman. 4/4

Greta list, you have awesome taste

Not much comment on Bigger Stronger faster which is an excellent doc
North By Northwest is a masterpiece - so no real comments to add
King of Kong was one my fave movies that year
Star Trek coming up next week

Rob

Thu May 14, 2009 1:58 am
Pedro wrote:

Yeah, I did decide to go ahead and re-watch American Beauty and I'm totally with you, Pedro. This movie is every bit as amazing as it was the first time I saw time I saw it. Here's a film that can move fluidly between being a scathing, darkly satirical comedy to being a powerful, sobering and emotionally resonant drama with seemingly no effort at all. The performances are all top-notch, the writing is sharp and intelligent, the cinematography is perfect, the direction is spot-on, I could seriously go on forever about the seemingly limitless virtues of this film... I honestly think that winning the Best Picture Oscar (along with the other awards that it won that year) probably hurt this film's reputation in way - don't get me wrong here, it was definitely amongst the best films to be released that year and probably deserved every award that it won (although there were films from that year that I liked a little better such as Fight Club and Three Kings), but when a film is drowned in such intense hype, a backlash is often unavoidable. It really kinda sucks because although this move probably deserved all of the adulation it got, that caused this movie to diminish in many people's eyes.

Thu May 14, 2009 1:59 am
Playtime 8
Saw this for my cinematic journey thread. very strange Jacques Tati movie from the 1960's

Viridiana 6
Part of the cinematic journey thread
A nun finds out how evil the real world can be

Fanboys 4
Oh dear, really desperate junk

Enfants Du Paradis, Les 8
Part of the cinematic jourbey thread
Charming!

Contempt 5
Pretentious Godard!

Battle Of Algiers, The 8
Amazing semi documentary about terrorism or freedom fighters depending on your point of view

Hotel For Dogs 5
I watched this with my kids.

Mirror, The 6
Hard to like Tarkovsky

Crank : High Voltage 4
Deary me. This is desperate.

Thu May 14, 2009 2:08 am
Rewatched the original Terminator. I hadn't seen it in a few years. I forgot how ridiculous the final chase sequence looked. Still a great movie. ***1/2

I plan on rewatching Terminator 2 next week in preparation for Salvation. Don't care to ever watch 3 again though.

I also want to go watch Star Trek in theaters again. I can't stop thinking about how freakin awesome it was.

Thu May 14, 2009 3:48 am
While everyone else was, apparently, watching Star Trek for a third, fourth, and fifth time I was spending a very long 166 minutes watching The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Pity about Brad Pitt being a mediocre actor, isn't it? He just doesn't bring any presence of any kind to the screen. What does it feel like to experience the very opposite of what everyone else is experiencing? We get little glimpses of how odd, maybe painful, it must be but the bulk of the movie is as simple as can be despite a seemingly complicated set-up. By the end it was nothing special though not exactly boring; Fincher knows how to compose a shot, he does. It's great looking, fairly empty, and... nothing special, as already said. There may be some philosophical musing to come out of the movie but, make no mistake, that's the audience doing work a better screenplay would have.

Thu May 14, 2009 5:47 am
majoraphasia wrote:
There may be some philosophical musing to come out of the movie but, make no mistake, that's the audience doing work a better screenplay would have.

Very well said. If there was ever a movie that warranted a remake it'd be Benjamin Button.

Thu May 14, 2009 8:59 am
majoraphasia wrote:
While everyone else was, apparently, watching Star Trek for a third, fourth, and fifth time I was spending a very long 166 minutes watching The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Pity about Brad Pitt being a mediocre actor, isn't it? He just doesn't bring any presence of any kind to the screen. What does it feel like to experience the very opposite of what everyone else is experiencing? We get little glimpses of how odd, maybe painful, it must be but the bulk of the movie is as simple as can be despite a seemingly complicated set-up. By the end it was nothing special though not exactly boring; Fincher knows how to compose a shot, he does. It's great looking, fairly empty, and... nothing special, as already said. There may be some philosophical musing to come out of the movie but, make no mistake, that's the audience doing work a better screenplay would have.

I am with you on this completely. This was the major disappointment of the Oscar season for me. It has all the credentials and the pedigree of a great movie and a story that is as intriguing as anything over recent years. Yet at its heart it's empty, an homage to digital trickery, and not much more. When ever I have had the chance to ask someone why they liked it, i have always found that they had been seduced by the admittedly brilliant set design, cinematography and overall look of the film combined with that, oh so, intriguing story.

At first I was so sure that my reaction to the film was wrong that I saw it again and had my original impression confirmed - for nearly three hours.

Rob

Thu May 14, 2009 10:40 am
Watched Barton Fink again last night...I always seem to forget how much I love that movie somehow...

Thu May 14, 2009 11:42 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 840  Next