Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:40 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 786  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Patrick wrote:
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem

There's violence and a better story than the first but it's so under-lit half of the time I couldn't see the violence! When you can't figure out who's being killed by what there's a problem.

Then there's the humans...what a waste of time. At least in the first AvP they just weren't there and weren't THAT poorly acted. Take away the humans and you got a decent movie that's like Out For Justice but instead of Steven Seagal it's Predator, instead of William Forysthe it's Pred-Alien and instead of random bad guys it's Aliens!

And why did they send just ONE predator to kill all the aliens?

4/10

One Predator. It's a right of passage for them. Sort of akin to the old ways of gaining a black belt by defeating the class of brown belts single handed. That was my understanding from the first two and comics. The stuff they wear is also rank but don't ask me what rank they were...

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:13 am
Well actually in AVP:R, that one predator was like a cleaner cleaning up the alien mess but still, why only send one to clean up the mess!

Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:52 am
Talisker wrote:
The music would've been much, much weirder. And the final shot would've been of Him with eyes shut, sitting holding his knees in the corner, leaning his head against the wall humming quietly; pan outside the window to Her, wearing a dress of fluffy purple feathers, using a magic wand to make a cloud staircase up to a floating magical house inhabited by a grotesque man-sized plushy tree sloth laying back in a giant hammock and gorging itself on fresh, bright, lemons and pineapples. THE END.

lmao. still worth seeing it though.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:16 pm
The Condemned

It has good intentions and ideas but man is it boring. At least See No Evil had really brutal kills and The Marine was hilariously awful but there's barely any brutality and it's too well-made for me to laugh at. Then there's "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, nothing against him he was awesome in the WWE, but I can't buy him as an action guy anymore. His neck is shot, thanks to Owen Hart, and I don't even know if he's doing any of his own stunts...it's almost like watching a DTV Steven Seagal movie where you can tell he's not doing his own stunts.

But there is one awesome one-liner from Austin.

TV Producer: What were you doing in El Salvador?
Austin: Working on my tan.
TV Producer: Why did you blow up that building?
Austin: It was blocking my sun.

5/10

Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:07 pm
Live Free or Die Hard

It's so over-the-top and cartoonish that you can't help but love it. Then again, I kinda did miss the little bits of realism that previous ones did. But then, the bald guy from District B13 is there and he's awesome in the short time he has.

For the record I did see the PG-13 version and while f-bombs and violence would be truer to the series, it wouldn't actually make the movie better.

7/10

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:16 pm
Site Admin

For some reason, I've been watching a lot of '80s movies lately...

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
For some reason, I've been watching a lot of '80s movies lately...

huh?

Why would you do that :-)

Rob

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:50 pm
Well, I have pulled out some films, (some from the 90's) from the library, been ill the last few days, so that is what I do sometimes when I am sick,

I pulled out the Usual Suspects, which I bought, but never watched since the film left the theatres way way back, I also watched Shawshank with my wife, she had never seen it, and a couple of Ozu films, (not from the 90's :lol: ) Tokyo Story, and Early Spring, I watched a ton of Ozu this past summer, I was in a certain mood, but felt the need to watch them again.....and again.....

Recent films Saturday at the theatre include, Revolutionary Road, Taken, and believe it or not, I had to watch Paul Blart MC because my students made me promise I would go see it. I use a scale of 1-10 with 5 being strictly average so I will give it a 4-5,

I watched that instead of Milk. What I do for my students...... always next weekend......

Cheers,

Wade

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:29 pm
Commodorefirst wrote:
Well, I have pulled out some films, (some from the 90's) from the library, been ill the last few days, so that is what I do sometimes when I am sick,

I pulled out the Usual Suspects, which I bought, but never watched since the film left the theatres way way back, I also watched Shawshank with my wife, she had never seen it, and a couple of Ozu films, (not from the 90's :lol: ) Tokyo Story, and Early Spring, I watched a ton of Ozu this past summer, I was in a certain mood, but felt the need to watch them again.....and again.....

Recent films Saturday at the theatre include, Revolutionary Road, Taken, and believe it or not, I had to watch Paul Blart MC because my students made me promise I would go see it. I use a scale of 1-10 with 5 being strictly average so I will give it a 4-5,

I watched that instead of Milk. What I do for my students...... always next weekend......

Cheers,

Wade

Hey Wade

I'm a huge fan of Ozu. I only discovered him a year ago. I recently watched late Autumn and loved it. My introduction was Tokyo Story which is simply wonderful. Any recommendations?

Rob

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:11 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:

Hey Wade

I'm a huge fan of Ozu. I only discovered him a year ago. I recently watched late Autumn and loved it. My introduction was Tokyo Story which is simply wonderful. Any recommendations?

Rob

Floating Weeds (59 the early one is from 34 and silent, also very good) , Late Spring, Early Summer,

Being a photographer as my second job, I love the way every shot in his films could literally be mounted on the wall, they are so perfectly balanced, with great symmetry, subject importance and interesting focal points for the eye to wander around in the scene.

I call these films my, pure, cleansing films, :)

Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:55 am
I saw Coraline and Push today.

Coraline was excellent. It was Miyazaki crossed with Pan's Labyrinth, all in stunning 3D stop-motion. Gorgeous to look at, as clever and creative as anything Pixar has done. ***1/2 out of ****

Push was mediocre. The concept worked, the setting felt appropriate and looked great. The gritty cinematography worked for me. But the movie never went anywhere. The ending was weak, the climactic action scene was nowhere near as climactic as I expected given the powers these people had. They still had a fist-fight even though they have telekinesis! The idea of putting thoughts in people's heads was cool, but underused (could've made for a big-time twist). **1/2 out of ****

Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:23 am
Commodorefirst wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Hey Wade

Rob

Floating Weeds (59 the early one is from 34 and silent, also very good) , Late Spring, Early Summer,

Being a photographer as my second job, I love the way every shot in his films could literally be mounted on the wall, they are so perfectly balanced, with great symmetry, subject importance and interesting focal points for the eye to wander around in the scene.

I call these films my, pure, cleansing films, :)

Hi there

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll be getting them from Netflix.

I am a very keen amateur photographer. I too like the compositional skills of Ozu. What interests me most from a photographic stance is the positioning of his camera. It's most unusual. In fact it maybe unique. Every shot seems to have been composed from waist height or lower. Every shot is also filmed from a completely stationary camera. I am sure this is part of the compositional thing you mention.

Rob

Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:23 am
Trevor wrote:
I saw Coraline and Push today.

Coraline was excellent. It was Miyazaki crossed with Pan's Labyrinth, all in stunning 3D stop-motion. Gorgeous to look at, as clever and creative as anything Pixar has done. ***1/2 out of ****

Push was mediocre. The concept worked, the setting felt appropriate and looked great. The gritty cinematography worked for me. But the movie never went anywhere. The ending was weak, the climactic action scene was nowhere near as climactic as I expected given the powers these people had. They still had a fist-fight even though they have telekinesis! The idea of putting thoughts in people's heads was cool, but underused (could've made for a big-time twist). **1/2 out of ****

thanks for the thoughts, I am planning on seeing Coraline soon, perhaps this weekend. Push, maybe..... time is always my enemy.

Wade

Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:31 am
I watched some movie I had never heard of last night...for the first time! I think it was called George... or maybe Patton. It was pretty good.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:33 am
Species

It's funny to see Ben Kingsley, Michael Madsen, Marg Helenberger, Forrest Whitaker and surprisingly young-looking Alfred Molina team up to kill Natasha Henstridge. Oh Natasha, she was supposed to be this generation's Bo Derek but she followed Bo's career too closely and now she has no career like Bo's.

Anyways, the movie itself is something my 15-year old self would love. There's aliens, violence, sex and boobs! So it may not be a great movie but it is great trash.

6/10

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:04 pm
Site Admin

Friday the 13th (2009).

Figures... just when you wish the projector would break down or the movie would be out of focus or someone would set off a fire alarm, none of those things happen.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
Friday the 13th (2009).

Figures... just when you wish the projector would break down or the movie would be out of focus or someone would set off a fire alarm, none of those things happen.

ouch....

Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:32 am
Patrick wrote:
Species

It's funny to see Ben Kingsley, Michael Madsen, Marg Helenberger, Forrest Whitaker and surprisingly young-looking Alfred Molina team up to kill Natasha Henstridge. Oh Natasha, she was supposed to be this generation's Bo Derek but she followed Bo's career too closely and now she has no career like Bo's.

Anyways, the movie itself is something my 15-year old self would love. There's aliens, violence, sex and boobs! So it may not be a great movie but it is great trash.

6/10

A very guilty pleasure :-)
I even bought the DVD, but please don't tell anyone. It was for the quality of the surround FX!
Rob

Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:27 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Species

6/10

I even bought the DVD, but please don't tell anyone. It was for the quality of the surround FX!
Rob

By surround FX you mean seeing Natasha Henstridge's nakedness in crystal clarity?

Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:39 pm
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Species

6/10

Rob

By surround FX you mean seeing Natasha Henstridge's nakedness in crystal clarity?

Patrick

You are a cruel and harsh judge of a fellow movie fan.

Who is Natasha Henstridge :-)

Nakedness aside, I actually do think that Species is a lovely throwback to the genre silliness of the 1950's. I am a complete sucker for sci-fi B movies from that era.

Rob

Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:42 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 786  Next