Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:29 am

TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY (1991) 
Site Admin

Post TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY (1991)
Click here for the review of Terminator 2 (1991)

Sat May 09, 2009 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY (1991)
What a great movie...my favorite action movie of all time.

Sat May 09, 2009 10:11 pm
Yeah, it’s an almost perfect action movie. And it's the first film I ever saw in theaters.

Though I’m surprised to learn that Arnold being a good guy was ever supposed to be a twist. I had no idea. That had to have been the worst kept secret ever.

Sat May 09, 2009 10:44 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY was released the summer I turned 14, and it's the first R-rated film I saw theatrically.

When I was in college, I was a member of the Film Board at our Student Union. We were responsible for selecting films (both recent and old) to be shown at the Student Union movie theater each weekend. We typically showed a different film each night Thursdays through Sundays. Very early in the fall semester of 1997, I suggested launching the new school year by screening TERMINATOR 2. Since I knew "Judgment Day" was approaching (August 29, 1997), I requested that we show it the night before on Thursday the 28th.

The timing was perfect. I went with a group of about six or seven, and the theater was packed. The crowd response was energetic. Both times the date of "Judgment Day" is mentioned in the film, members of the audience cheered and howled. It was one of the most memorable film-viewing experiences I've ever had.

Sat May 09, 2009 10:47 pm
Any of you ever seen the third version of T2 on DVD that has the scene of T-1000 searching John's room at his house? I think this version also has the alternate ending with Sarah in the future. Other than those two scenes it's exactly as the extended version.

Any of you ever been on that T2-3D ride at Universal Studios?

I hear T2 will be coming out on Blu-Ray as some elaborate set just in time for "Terminator: Salvation".

Even though the whole "Arnold as the good guy" bit was a badly kept secret, the teaser trailer of Arnold being built in the factory is still awsome.

T2 is definately one of my favorite sequels. Hard to say between T1 and T2 which one I like more. I like both for different reasons. I mean they're different movies, but they work in their own ways. T3, while by no means bad, I find to be unnecessary and only done to boost Schwarzenegger's struggling career. For me, the "Terminator" series lives and dies with James Cameron.

Sat May 09, 2009 10:48 pm
ck100 wrote:

Any of you ever been on that T2-3D ride at Universal Studios?.

Many, many times; although it's more of a show than a ride. The first time I was at Universal, as a kid, my extended family wouldn’t let me see it. For some reason, they thought it might be too intense for me. I’ve seen it a dozen times since then, but my inner child has never forgiven them.

ck100 wrote:

T2 is definately one of my favorite sequels. Hard to say between T1 and T2 which one I like more. I like both for different reasons. I mean they're different movies, but they work in their own ways. T3, while by no means bad, I find to be unnecessary and only done to boost Schwarzenegger's struggling career. For me, the "Terminator" series lives and dies with James Cameron.

I could not agree with you more. I saw T3 in theaters, but I’ll never watch it again. T1 and T2 were such good films in such very different ways; but T3 can’t live up to the comparison. I’m sure it’s a fine movie if you are able to watch it without comparing it to James Cameron’s work, but that is exactly what I’m unable to do.

Sat May 09, 2009 11:07 pm

The dream that Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton) experiences in TERMINATOR 2 is a haunting and unforgettable sequence. It helps the audience understand on a visceral level why she has transformed from a typical everyday gal into a no-nonsense warrior. The dream is galvanizing from the very first image of the dry grass crunching under her boots. It's also quite sad in its depiction of where her life might have been had the fate of the world not fallen into her lap.

Last edited by iamed77 on Sat May 09, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 09, 2009 11:11 pm
Ratel wrote:
ck100 wrote:

Any of you ever been on that T2-3D ride at Universal Studios?.

Many, many times; although it's more of a show than a ride. The first time I was at Universal, as a kid, my extended family wouldn’t let me see it. For some reason, they thought it might be too intense for me. I’ve seen it a dozen times since then, but my inner child has never forgiven them.

ck100 wrote:

I could not agree with you more. I saw T3 in theaters, but I’ll never watch it again. T1 and T2 were such good films in such very different ways; but T3 can’t live up to the comparison. I’m sure it’s a fine movie if you are able to watch it without comparing it to James Cameron’s work, but that is exactly what I’m unable to do.

Yeah I can't find myself to look at T3 if it's on cable. I just don't consider it to be a "true" sequel even though it's not a bad movie. I must admit I feel the same way about "Terminator: Salvation" even though it's not out yet. I know it's unfair of me to judge this film even though it's not out yet. But like I said, the "Terminator" series, for me, lives and dies with James Cameron.

Sat May 09, 2009 11:12 pm
iamed77 wrote:
The dream that Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton) experiences in TERMINATOR 2 is a haunting and unforgettable sequence. It helps the audience understand on a visceral level why she has transformed from a typical everyday gal into a no-nonsense warrior. The dream is galvanizing from the very first image of the dry grass crunching under her boots. It's also quite sad in its depiction of where her life might have been had the fate of the world not fallien into her lap.

I still have a hard time watching that scene since it's so "nightmarish". lol. I heard people say that it's one of the most realistic portrayals of a nuclear attack on film.

Sat May 09, 2009 11:14 pm
ck100 wrote:
Any of you ever seen the third version of T2 on DVD that has the scene of T-1000 searching John's room at his house? I think this version also has the alternate ending with Sarah in the future. Other than those two scenes it's exactly as the extended version.

I have...and it was awesome!

As for T3, unlike you guys I can watch it without comparing it to T1 and T2 & it wasn't too bad. Also, it helps that you think of T3 as an alternative timeline of events.

Sat May 09, 2009 11:15 pm
Patrick wrote:
ck100 wrote:

I have...and it was awesome!

As for T3, unlike you guys I can watch it without comparing it to T1 and T2 & it wasn't too bad. Also, it helps that you think of T3 as an alternative timeline of events.

As I said before, T3 is by no means a bad movie. It's mainly unnecessary. It's as if all the stuff done in T2 was all for nothing. Any time you have some sequel come out, which took more than 10 years to make, is bound to face comparison and criticism. I mean if it took so long to make then there's no excuse for it to not be great. You had all these years to come up with a great script and such. Sequels like these are really done for financial reasons rather than creative ones. Other unnecessary, long-time-coming sequels like Indiana Jones 4 and Godfather III have suffered this fate. Plus, Schwarzenegger wasn't exactly at a career high when he did this movie.

Sat May 09, 2009 11:33 pm

I have to also defend TERMINATOR 3: RISE OF THE MACHINES. I'll agree that it's not on par with the first two in terms of depth, but T3 does move the story forward.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Whereas T2 offers a glimmer of hope about the future, T3 throws that out and demonstrates that fate can be postponed but not altered. This is not unlike the idea behind the FINAL DESTINATION films.

The action in T3 doesn't disappoint either. The chase involving the mobile crane and several unmanned police cars and rescue vehicles still takes my breath away when I see it.

Sat May 09, 2009 11:40 pm
I don’t think that either CK100 or I are attacking T3. The problem is that we’re unable to divorce the experience of watching it from its predecessors—and everyone seems to admit that it’s the weakest film of the three.

Just watch T3 back to back with the rest of the series, and I’m sure it will become apparent that it’s just not as memorable as the first two films: the acting isn’t as strong, the script isn’t as tight, and the direction just ain’t Cameron. T3 has no hasta la vista baby, no original iconic characters, etc. It’s a big, dumb, action film, and realistically it’s very good at being that. But it doesn’t feel like it belongs in the Terminator series.

...the chase seen in T3 is pretty damn awesome though :).

Sat May 09, 2009 11:56 pm
Ratel wrote:
I don’t think that either CK100 or I are attacking T3. The problem is that we’re unable to divorce the experience of watching it from its predecessors—and everyone seems to admit that it’s the weakest film of the three.

Just watch T3 back to back with the rest of the series, and I’m sure it will become apparent that it’s just not as memorable as the first two films: the acting isn’t as strong, the script isn’t as tight, and the direction just ain’t Cameron. T3 has no hasta la vista baby, no original iconic characters, etc. It’s a big, dumb, action film, and realistically it’s very good at being that. But it doesn’t feel like it belongs in the Terminator series.

...the chase seen in T3 is pretty damn awesome though :).

I know, I was saying that I can divorce T3 from the other two. But while it's certainly entertaining, it is clearly inferior than the Cameron Terminators.

Sun May 10, 2009 12:07 am
I much prefer T2 to the first instalment, i would say that like Star Trek II and Empire Strikes Back, T2 is one of the few sequels which is better than the original. For me it has a much more rounded story, more depth and delivers more bang for your bucks.

Sun May 10, 2009 7:21 am
I don't like the concept of the "good" terminator and much prefer the first one. T2 is very good popcorn cinema, though. I also liked the third part, because we had a particularly good time in the cinema: it's very funny (not always intentionally).

Sun May 10, 2009 7:38 am
I am glad that James reviewed both of the original Terminators. I agree with his assertion that they are amongst the best sci-fi/action flicks out there. The first one probably had the darker, more compelling story line but the second one had the superior special effects and action sequences. Both films took advantage of the intelligent and thought provoking material inherent in the premise. Individually, each film makes for worthwhile viewing but together, they form a near-masterpiece in action-oriented cinema!

Sun May 10, 2009 3:34 pm
My argument for Terminator 2 over the original is quite simple; I saw Terminator 2 years before I saw the original. I didn't miss a thing. The story wasn't harmed in any way by my ignorance of the original's plotline. Any sequel that can make such a claim has the right to be considered better than it's predecessor.

I think James nailed both of these films. In my opinion, both are better white-knucklers than Die Hard was, especially the second. James Cameron is the master of the action film until proven otherwise. Creating one masterful actioner is a miracle. Creating three is something else.

Mon May 11, 2009 7:25 am
Second Unit Director

Everything that JB said about T2 is correct, and yet I still prefer T1. Granted, T2 is a great action movie, wonderful CGI, and it's very glitzy with a big budget that really shows up on the screen. But there's something about the low-budget graininess, rough-around-the-edges, and novelty of the plot in T1 that appeals to me more than T2. T1 always seemed more like a labor of love compared to the Hollywood extravaganza of T2.

Mon May 11, 2009 9:05 am
Site Admin

For what it's worth, I have a slight preference for the original TERMINATOR over T2, although I consider both to be very good films.

And I like ALIENS better than both.

Mon May 11, 2009 8:10 pm
Profile WWW