Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:01 am

THE TERMINATOR (1984) 
Site Admin

Post THE TERMINATOR (1984)
Click here for the review of The Terminator (1984)

Part of the "1980s" series.

Sun May 03, 2009 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: THE TERMINATOR (1984)
Bull's eye.

Sun May 03, 2009 8:37 pm
Here's hoping a T2 review will be coming...

and perhaps a comment if anyone's seen the TV show?

Sun May 03, 2009 8:41 pm
Nice to see a review coming for "Terminator 2" although it's a 90's movie and thus not part of Jim's 80's retrospective.

Sun May 03, 2009 9:02 pm
Site Admin

ck100 wrote:
Nice to see a review coming for "Terminator 2" although it's a 90's movie and thus not part of Jim's 80's retrospective.

Since I already have #3 reviewed and the review for #4 will be up on May 19, I decided to take a week off from the '80s to round out The Terminator series. Then it will be back to 1984 with Sixteen Candles.

Sun May 03, 2009 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
It and T2 are four star films in my eyes. There's nothing more they could've offered as far as I'm concerned.

Sun May 03, 2009 10:09 pm
TheOutlawXanadu wrote:
It and T2 are four star films in my eyes. There's nothing more they could've offered as far as I'm concerned.

I agree. Too bad "T"3 and "Terminator Salvation" are being thrown at us......

Sun May 03, 2009 10:39 pm
TheOutlawXanadu wrote:

For me, they both come close to 4 stars, especially the first one. James Cameron is one of those filmmakers whom I don't think has made a single bad movie (I'll ignore the existence of his unofficial debut Piranha Part Two: The Spawning). My personal favorites are True Lies and Aliens. Even Titanic was excellently-directed, say whatever else you will about it.

Sun May 03, 2009 10:50 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
ck100 wrote:

Since I already have #3 reviewed and the review for #4 will be up on May 19, I decided to take a week off from the '80s to round out The Terminator series. Then it will be back to 1984 with Sixteen Candles.

Cool! You know, I wouldn't mind seeing you perform the same kind of franchise-completion by reviewing "Batman Returns."

Sun May 03, 2009 10:55 pm
NickNightingale wrote:
ck100 wrote:

Cool! You know, I wouldn't mind seeing you perform the same kind of franchise-completion by reviewing "Batman Returns."

You know I was trying to think of other franchises involving him reviewing entries he hasn't reviewed yet.

Sun May 03, 2009 11:22 pm
ck100 wrote:
You know I was trying to think of other franchises involving him reviewing entries he hasn't reviewed yet.

I suppose that he could swallow some pride and try to review the remaining Superman flicks that he hasn't reviewed! Ha, ha,ha!

Sun May 03, 2009 11:32 pm
Who's currently leading the "So You Think You Know James" competition? There's some great suggestions in this thread.

Sun May 03, 2009 11:38 pm
oafolay wrote:
ck100 wrote:

I suppose that he could swallow some pride and try to review the remaining Superman flicks that he hasn't reviewed! Ha, ha,ha!

We don't hate James that much....do we?

Mon May 04, 2009 12:23 am
Second Unit Director

For people with Blu-Ray players, I can recommend checking out Terminator on Blu-Ray disc. Granted, some of the scenes (especially the dark future war scenes) are grainy, and if you're offended by grainy film, this is not the disc for you. But considering this is a 25-year old movie made on a very low budget, I thought it really looked great. And the surround sound effects are spectacular, a real showpiece for a good home theater setup.

For years, I've gotten used to watching the edited form of this movie on broadcast TV. Watching the uncut DVD reminded me that this movie definitely earned its R-rating back in 1984. And, for that reason, I think it remains more "edgy" than any of its slicker, high budget sequels.

Mon May 04, 2009 8:55 am
Patrick wrote:
oafolay wrote:
ck100 wrote:

We don't hate James that much....do we?

Of course not, but his reviews of movies he hates are always an amusing read. ;)

Mon May 04, 2009 10:05 am
I can't believe I'm using a spoiler tag for The Terminator, but since James did it...
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Paradoxes inevitably form the entertainment core for any time travel story, and The Terminator is no exception. (SPOILER AHEAD!) In this case, the supposition is that a person can die before he is born as long as his personal time line is unbroken.
I wouldn't consider that the real paradox. That premise is relatively easy to accept. The real paradox is how someone from the future can have a relationship with his own son prior to, in the father's timeline, going back in time and getting mom pregnant. That's the chicken-and-egg issue in this movie.

Mon May 04, 2009 11:16 am
Two thoughts:

1.) The Terminator has been one of my favorite movies since I was like four and no criticism will be condoned.

2.) After watching it for years on cable I actually caught it on HBO a few month ago and was shocked to see Linda Hamilton's breasts. It's like finding out your phone has minesweeper. What a terrific day that was.

Mon May 04, 2009 2:41 pm
First post here!

Anyone whose interested in a Terminator time travel explanation check here

http://www.mjyoung.net/time/terminat.html

Everything can be explained using a multiple timeline theory and though its been awhile since I watched T1, I think during the scene where Kyle Reese is explaining everything to Sarah (right after techno club, in the underground garage), Kyle hints at multiple timelines/universes.

Thu May 07, 2009 9:24 pm
Nice review, James.

And I'll still be looking forward to your eventual (hopefully) review of
Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" someday. No rush, but someday.

Sat May 09, 2009 4:48 pm
Site Admin

MisterG wrote:
Nice review, James.

And I'll still be looking forward to your eventual (hopefully) review of
Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" someday. No rush, but someday.

All you need to do is win the 2009 competition and I'm on the hook to review whatever movie you want me to review. :)

Sat May 09, 2009 9:49 pm
Profile WWW