Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:36 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Greater Horror? The Grammys Vs. The Academy Awards 
Post The Greater Horror? The Grammys Vs. The Academy Awards
Watching Radiohead lose Album of the Year to Robert Plant and Alison Krause was enough for me to write this thread. Why can't there be an option to abolish certain people from thinking out loud, or participating in handing out awards? I know this sounds harsh but the Grammy have been given less credit than they should for being truly incompetent. Let's not forget when they gave a Steely Dan record from after the 70's an Album of the Year statue over Eminem's 'Marshall Mathers LP'. Perhaps the Academy Awards have gotten too much credit/discredit.

Although I would love few things more than to have both of these academies overrun by people who actually enjoy art (and living, apparently), I have a problem deciding which is the bigger spike to my blood pressure. Do I go for boring selections of artists decades past thier prime, and ludicrous awards (Record of the Year, Song of the Year - WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE AGGGHHH) - or a ceremony which stated that How Green Is My Valley, Shakespeare in Love, and Forrest Gump are better than Citizen Kane, Saving Private Ryan, and Pulp Fiction, respectively?

Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:44 am
Post Re: The Greater Horror? The Grammys Vs. The Academy Awards
The Grammys are truly awful.
Unlike the Oscars, which actually do acknowledge the critics' choices and the films which are considered art at the time, the Grammys completely ignore the artists who are truly on the cutting edge and making critically acclaimed art. Instead they reward mainstream mediocrity like Coldplay. They reward the best-sellers, as if going platinum wasn't reward enough. Imagine if the Best Picture nominees this year were The Twilight, Madagascar 2, Indiana Jones IV, Hancock, and Kung Fu Panda, and you have the Grammys.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:59 am
The Grammys reward commercial success. That's been true for a long time now. There's been reason to watch the ceremony for a good 10 years now. They don't reward the best in music. For more honest awards, you have to go country by country, Canada's Polaris prize, the Mercury Prize, stuff that like. Those ceremonies bring out good music.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:16 am
The Grammy's for the sheer fact that there is even more useless awards than the Oscars. I mean do we care about best Classical album? Best New-Age? Best engineered? Best album art?

Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:42 am
Definitely the Grammys. The Academy Awards can be pretty horrific, but at least they get it right, well, maybe thirty percent of the time, rather than, you know... never.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:48 am
But then again, 90% of Best New Artist winners careers die horrible deaths *coughStarlightVocalBandcough* like they probably should.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:54 am
Both are awful. I love music and movies and dislike them both.
They are more about TV ratings and red carpets than anything else these days.
and they are both failing in the ratings as well.

I am far more interested in James's and other critics musings at the end of the year than the Oscars

Rob

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:06 pm
Site Admin

Robert Holloway wrote:

I am far more interested in James's and other critics musings at the end of the year than the Oscars

Rob

Didn't watch the Grammys, although my wife recorded them and pulled me into the room after they were over to show me Neil Diamond and Zooey Deschanel.

I'm toying with the idea of actually watching the Oscars live and posting random thoughts to a forum during the telecast. Don't know if I can deal with watching the Oscars in real-time, though.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Rob

Didn't watch the Grammys, although my wife recorded them and pulled me into the room after they were over to show me Neil Diamond and Zooey Deschanel.

I'm toying with the idea of actually watching the Oscars live and posting random thoughts to a forum during the telecast. Don't know if I can deal with watching the Oscars in real-time, though.

Things you may need:

3 - 5 Red Bulls. I'd say one for every hour, maybe sneaking in an extra one during the technical awards.
A Podcast with Bill Simmons bitching over his NFL divisional round playoff picks.
Popcorn. You might not even like popcorn. But popcorn.
Invite a personal friend to help add some color to the event.
Two helpings of chili with lime and cheddar.
The Kings Of Leon's 'Sex On Fire' playing on repeat, with 'Untouched' by The Veronicas as a back-up.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:07 pm
I would probably shoot myself I had to listen to "Untouched" or "Sex on Fire" for 4 hours straight. But don't worry James, you have a forum of others sharing your pain. That's reason enough to do it, right? Right?

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:13 pm
James,
The forum would be a perfect place for you to do a beat Ebert type thing
See who can outdo you on predicting all categories
Could be fun
Rob

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:49 pm
Site Admin

Robert Holloway wrote:
James,
Could be fun
Rob

"Old timers" may recall that I used to do a "live" Oscar night commentary every year. It consisted of adding to a running log and uploading the revision during every commercial break. See, for example:this link, which is buried deep in the vault of outdated non-review content that has yet to be ported into the database.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
James,
Could be fun
Rob

"Old timers" may recall that I used to do a "live" Oscar night commentary every year. It consisted of adding to a running log and uploading the revision during every commercial break. See, for example:this link, which is buried deep in the vault of outdated non-review content that has yet to be ported into the database.

Hmm, OK - I'm an oldtimer

I remember them well and with affection. But then you grew disaffected if I remember things correctly :-)

Rob

Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:03 am
I remember those Oscar rants and ramblings in that format....then you decided to get a life.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:24 pm
To me the Grammys are the bigger joke, mainly because the style of music I enjoy most (heavy metal) is relegated to one category, and is not even considered for any other. When was the last time a heavy metal band was nominated for anything other than best heavy metal performance? I agree that the Oscars are too bloated and need to be trimmed down, but I'd rather sit through that than see and hear bands and artists that I don't like.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:57 pm
mkratzer21 wrote:
To me the Grammys are the bigger joke, mainly because the style of music I enjoy most (heavy metal) is relegated to one category, and is not even considered for any other. When was the last time a heavy metal band was nominated for anything other than best heavy metal performance? I agree that the Oscars are too bloated and need to be trimmed down, but I'd rather sit through that than see and hear bands and artists that I don't like.

I don't know what's worse in that category, that one song is just as awesome as one album or that Jethro Tull won the first Metal grammy?

Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:15 pm
mkratzer21 wrote:

That's because Heavy Metal can really only be appreciated by other Heavy Metal fans. It's an extremely inclusive genre. Just like anything outside Moby for electronic music. As brilliant as Venetian Snares is, he'll never be nominated for anything Grammy related because A) He doesn't sell millions of records B) It sounds like noise to 99% of the population.

Same deal with Metal. As much as you disagree, it sounds like noise to a very large section of the population. Plus you're not going to buy an album because it won a Grammy. There are tons of people out there who will, so why not tailor the show to their tastes.

Just like the Oscars. Another way to market your product.

"Nominated for 17 Academy Awards"

"Starring Academy Award Nominee Jonathan Scuttlebutt!"

Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:35 pm
As a musician and screenwriter, I can tell you I would be more excited to be nominated for an Academy Award - and doubly to be nominated for penning a film score in tandem with the script. I would not expect to win the Grammy, since my role in the matter would simply be getting nominated - everything else is the politics of an aging group of know-it-nones.

P.S. The Grammys also partially led up to the tragic predicament that Rihanna now finds herself in. What a shame :(

Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:38 pm
munroe wrote:
mkratzer21 wrote:

That's because Heavy Metal can really only be appreciated by other Heavy Metal fans. It's an extremely inclusive genre. Just like anything outside Moby for electronic music. As brilliant as Venetian Snares is, he'll never be nominated for anything Grammy related because A) He doesn't sell millions of records B) It sounds like noise to 99% of the population.

Same deal with Metal. As much as you disagree, it sounds like noise to a very large section of the population. Plus you're not going to buy an album because it won a Grammy. There are tons of people out there who will, so why not tailor the show to their tastes.

Just like the Oscars. Another way to market your product.

"Nominated for 17 Academy Awards"

"Starring Academy Award Nominee Jonathan Scuttlebutt!"

That's a good point. Heavy metal is not mainstream. That's partially what drew me to it in the first place. But does that mean it isn't as good? If the Grammys want to be respected and truly honor the best in music they should look to genres other than the Top 40. This includes metal and country (although country's exclusion is a little easier to explain, since they have their own high-profile awards show).

But like I said, heavy metal is not mainstream, never has been and never will. I'm not necessarily lobbying for it to be included in the ceremony, as the anarchistic nature of what you rightly said 99% of the people think is "noise" would be lost and the quality of the music would suffer. I was merely stating that I don't watch the Grammys because the style of music honored is not the kind that I like. Maybe metal should be like country in that we just hold our own awards and raise a middle finger to the Grammys. Actually, that sounds like a good idea!

And yes, Metallica should have won the first Grammy for metal performance. I do like Jethro Tull, but they are not metal.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:58 pm
Yeah I agree, I'm surprised nobody holds Metal awards, seeing as how feverish the community is about it. Maybe everyone is too busy partying for an annual circle jerk.

And no, I wasn't trying to say that Metal was inherently bad, anybody that dismisses an entire genre is silly. Good Music is Good Music. I don't like Country overall, but I love Dolly Parton, and Johnny Cash. More or less the same with Metal, I'm not really a fan, but I enjoy System of a Down, Dillinger Escape Plan, and Protest the Hero. There's a few other bands I can listen to, but mostly it's not for me.

Just as I imagine that hip-hop isn't for most, even though I can never get enough of it. Taste is 100% subjective.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:07 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next