Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:31 am

A Very Simple Request for my Fellow Reelviewers 
Post A Very Simple Request for my Fellow Reelviewers
I know this may seem a tad trite, but here goes:

There seem to be way too many spelling/grammar "corrections" coming from one poster to another. Obviously it is important at times, and I certainly desire a clean forum in these regards. However, it seems useless and petty when forum users use a post to do this. What's worse is that literally every time I've seen it, the one doing the correcting has spelling or grammar issues of his own going on close by. It's just not welcoming and unless someone is misspelling every other word, it's rather pointless. Not to mention the users who try to use a fellow member's mistake as somehow taking away from the validity of their argument.

I know this seems small, and I know that some don't mind it at all. But really, I feel like it clutters the boards and I feel like we can do without it.

If everyone disagrees with me, I'll humbly bow and walk away.

Wed May 06, 2009 7:22 pm
Post Re: A Very Simple Request for my Fellow Reelviewers
Of course no one wants their grammar corrected. I don't think it's worth making a forum rule that says you are not allowed to do so.
But I agree with your sentiment and hope this does not occur too often.

I think the most common occurrence of this is when someone is already involved in an argument, and gets frustrated to the point that they don't want to/can't address the content of someone else's post, so they instead address the grammar or spelling. Fortunately, we haven't had too many threads devolve into such arguments, and thus we haven't seen this problem that often.

I really don't see this as a major problem here so far. If you are having an issue with a specific poster, I would recommend PMing them with your concern.

Wed May 06, 2009 9:47 pm
I'm with Trevor, we can't enforce behavior to that degree and it very rarely happens here, we're not the GameFAQ's board you know

Wed May 06, 2009 10:12 pm
Site Admin

Also, for those who feel compelled to correct grammar, please remember that, for a number of members, English is not their first language, so there are bound to be errors. My advice: the only time it's worthwhile SUGGESTING a correction is if the wording is so bad that the post can't be understood.

And even the best writers will make mistakes. I proofread my reviews and Reelthoughts fairly rigorousy and errors still slip through.

That being said, I think it's going overboard in the other direction to make a rule about this.

Thu May 07, 2009 1:13 am
Profile WWW
I appreciate it if my spelling and grammar mistakes are corrected, because I'm not a native speaker and it can only help to improve my English.

That being said, I haven't noticed this problem so far.

Thu May 07, 2009 4:12 am
Unke wrote:
I appreciate it if my spelling and grammar mistakes are corrected, because I'm not a native speaker and it can only help to improve my English.

That being said, I haven't noticed this problem so far.

I haven’t noticed this problem either.

Thu May 07, 2009 4:43 am
if one feels compelled to make a "correction" perhaps they can send a private message to the person rather than posting it here in the public forums.

Thu May 07, 2009 8:40 am
If someone has posted a valid comment or opinion, then it does seem impertinent to pull them up on their spelling or grammar.

However, there are certain consistently misspelled words (by native English speakers!) that really annoy me.
"Loose" for "lose"
"Should of" for "should have"
"Your" for "you're"

Thu May 07, 2009 12:46 pm
i haven't seen it happen. definitely not correction on minor ones. sure if its so bad that you can't understand it, well then it seems ok, but otherwise, i think it all belongs on youtube comment flame wars. which aren't that much fun.

Thu May 07, 2009 1:43 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
Also, for those who feel compelled to correct grammar, please remember that, for a number of members, English is not their first language, so there are bound to be errors. My advice: the only time it's worthwhile SUGGESTING a correction is if the wording is so bad that the post can't be understood.

And even the best writers will make mistakes. I proofread my reviews and Reelthoughts fairly rigorousy and errors still slip through.

That being said, I think it's going overboard in the other direction to make a rule about this.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm not suggesting a rule be made, I just wanted to point out what I've seen (and for the record, I agree that PMing is the only way this should be handled unless the post actually can't be understood).

I posted in this forum because it seemed a bit too off-topic for the open forum. Sorry for any confusion -- again, I don't think an actual rule is what needs to happen.

Fri May 08, 2009 12:25 am
the final word on this: it's a message board, not a thesis.

Fri May 08, 2009 2:35 pm
The real final words: google chrome. Spell checks for you ;)

I love it when people make threads about me that don't mention me (I think...). I'm making an impact :) I do agree, though, Shade, it's piss-poor arguing when spell checks overtake actual discussion, but I thought this was resolved before this thread. Are there others? I must have delightful, spell-proof AIM discussions with them!

Sun May 17, 2009 3:43 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

So does Firefox. Or maybe I have an extension that does it. Not sure. But apparently "google" is spelled incorrectly here, heheh.

Sun May 17, 2009 4:08 pm
Trevor wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

So does Firefox. Or maybe I have an extension that does it. Not sure. But apparently "google" is spelled incorrectly here, heheh.

Your write. Firefox cheques spelling two, and no extension is required. Butt its' not foolproof. Their can still be error.

Sun May 17, 2009 11:40 pm
I can practically taste the ironee.

Mon May 18, 2009 11:12 am
I luv seeing peeples making spellin errs cuz then i DONT FEEL SO STOOOOPID WHEN I DO IT....

:mrgreen:

Wed May 20, 2009 8:18 pm