Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT) 
Post Re: Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT)
What the heck, i've been here long enough, let me say hello. I'm Coty a recent college graduate who was lucky enough to get into my profession and get comfortable before the economy started to collapse. I graduated with a B.A. in Sociology from Southern Illinois University Edwardsville and live in the huge booming metropolis of St. Louis, Missouri.

I've been reading ReelViews now for 4 or 5 years as I was turned on to it by a co-worker who felt I shared similar views as James. I'm very excited to be part of this board as it is about the only respectful Forum i've ever been a part of. It's a nice break from work, when I get the chance to check it out.

I've probably confused or upset some of you by my lack of ability to communicate via keyboard. My brain and fingers work much faster than my eyes and repeated typos or crazy sentences are most likely going to happen. When I go to proof read my posts, they always look right until I read them two days later. Sorry, I promise i'm not as unintelligent as my posts would appear.

Again thanks for the great Forum and I hope to be discussing with you soon.

Much Love

Coty

Tue May 05, 2009 4:35 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Hi My name is Harrison, I am from and live in Eastern North Carolina. I am a history ed. grad currently subbing and hoping to find a job opening shortly. I am about 5-6 brown hair brown eyes. Meyers briggs wise INFJ. Interests include sports, philosophy, politics.

I first found Mr. Berardinelli through a link on a blog which I now have forgotten, altho I think it was James Lileks. I read a lot of his reviews after the fact if I am already planning on seeing them to see how his view synchs with mine. Most of the times if it is not a comedy we have similar opinions (given of course that his is much more learned and studied when it comes to film). I read beforehand if I am on the fence or planning on watching the dvd release of a movie.

Tue May 05, 2009 7:06 am
I'm Derek, 20-something, from Edinburgh, Scotland originally but live in the Czech Republic now (Plzen, home of Pilsner beers to be precise). Post graduate in Classical History, interests include being in new places but not travelling, history, collecting books, forteana, technology, sports (I'm a huge football fan and of Everton F.C in particular) and many others.

I currently work as a lecturer, but I get bored easily and will no doubt move around a lot in the future.

Love cinema, believe that it can be as great as any other form of art and generally enjoy watching movies, talking about them and thinking about them.

Sun May 24, 2009 11:37 am
Never saw this thread until now!

Am Dragonbeard but inside the Matrix, I am known as Andy.

I dig music.

My favourite movie is Untitled (the other version of Almost Famous).

That is all =]

Sun May 24, 2009 6:44 pm
Hi, my name is Michael-19, from Zion, Illinois, i've been on here awhile and i've clearly got wildly different tastes in movies from most people on here.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:24 am
Hello, I am Cici, currently living in Germany but I move a lot (in fact I am 3 weeks away from moving back to Holland). I work for Nokia at the moment but I am hoping to go back to university at some point. I am 22, and I speak english pretty fluently in my opinion but you'll have to excuse the spelling mistakes :)

Obviously I am a big fan of movies, as well as video games, Opera, Ballet, reading, and art. I love some of the older movies with Audrey Hepburn, Frank Sinatra, Ester Williams....but new movies I prefer sci-fi/fantasy. I also absolutly adore claymation.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:54 pm
stiefmo wrote:
What the heck, i've been here long enough, let me say hello. I'm Coty a recent college graduate who was lucky enough to get into my profession and get comfortable before the economy started to collapse. I graduated with a B.A. in Sociology from Southern Illinois University Edwardsville and live in the huge booming metropolis of St. Louis, Missouri.

I've been reading ReelViews now for 4 or 5 years as I was turned on to it by a co-worker who felt I shared similar views as James. I'm very excited to be part of this board as it is about the only respectful Forum i've ever been a part of. It's a nice break from work, when I get the chance to check it out.

I've probably confused or upset some of you by my lack of ability to communicate via keyboard. My brain and fingers work much faster than my eyes and repeated typos or crazy sentences are most likely going to happen. When I go to proof read my posts, they always look right until I read them two days later. Sorry, I promise i'm not as unintelligent as my posts would appear.

Again thanks for the great Forum and I hope to be discussing with you soon.

Much Love

Coty

Dude, we're practically neighbors. I just transferred from SIUE to UMSL (although circumstances may force me to go back to the former).

Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:58 pm
Assistant Director

I'm Dave, currently living in San Antonio. Been in the Air Force 17 years today and have also lived in Arizona, South Korea (twice), Nebraska, Illinois, Hawaii, and now here. In about three months, I'll be heading over to Afghanistan for a 365 day deployment.

I'll pretty much watch any movie out there, minus horror films. In this day and age of the quick buck, these things are too easy and cheap to make to differentiate themselves from each other. I think I swore these off completely last year when I saw a trailer for something called Midnight Meat Train.

Favorite five films:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Dark City
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
City of God

Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:26 am
Howdy All! :)

:| i can't believe it, but i just read this whole thread. every single post. tiring work. felt like an odd montage at the beginning of a movie. i'd deliberately left it alone all this time. now i dont know what to think.

as for my introduction,
well...

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:05 am
aameen wrote:
Howdy All! :)

:| i can't believe it, but i just read this whole thread. every single post. tiring work. felt like an odd montage at the beginning of a movie. i'd deliberately left it alone all this time. now i dont know what to think.

as for my introduction,
well...

Funny you mentioned that, I did the same thing the other day. It seems like I have so many little details to include in an introduction that I don't know where to begin. I dunno, one day I suppose...when my hands aren't mush from running the table saw all day. :evil:

Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:50 pm
Director

I'm Corey, age: eighteen and loved movies since watching Finding Nemo. My al-time favorite film is The Searchers with The Duke I think it'll be on t.v. tomorrow onAMC network at about 2:30 or 3:00. In a month, I'm off to college for my justice studies major, I'll be an undergrad. If anyone has any questions just ask. :)

Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:02 pm
Profile YIM
My name is Jen, I'm almost 37, and I've been a long-time reader of JB's reviews. Like many others here, I became a fan after reading a ton of his reviews and realizing I agreed with almost all of them. I was glad to see him open up this forum.

I don't see as many movies as I'd like to these days because I'm pretty much addicted to computer games (Sims 3 and LOTRO at the moment), but I like to keep up with what's going on in the movie world.

The last movie I watched was Spirited Away, and I absolutely loved it. It catapulted right into my Top 20 or so movies.

Other favorites: Almost Famous, Say Anything, Hairspray, That Thing You Do!, Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Rear Window, Boogie Nights, Pride & Prejudice (1995), Sense & Sensibility, Star Wars, Batman Begins, Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music (yes, I like musicals :)), Annie Hall, All About Eve...I'll stop now.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:10 pm
Hi, as my name would imply, I'm Andy. I don't really watch a whole lot of movies - I'm very picky and because of that, I have a tough time justifying the price of a theater ticket or Blu-ray unless I can have some idea of a movie's quality. In this regard, James Berardinelli has been exceptionally helpful. His reviews are usually thoughtful, quirky, intelligent and witty. I've probably agreed with about 90% of his reviews (The Dark Knight is a notable exception - I'm probably in the minority here when I say the movie wasn't really "all that"). I can't say that about any other film critic.

I'm pretty excited about joining the forum - I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to register. Ultimately, I was swayed by the number intelligent folks here. :D That's all!

Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:08 am
Cinematographer

I'm a middle aged dad with young kids. Don't really get out to movies all that much, but for some reason often enjoy reading reviews about them. I discovered the Reelviews site sometime during the 90's and have always appreciated the author's approach. I often don't agree after viewing the movie, but have learned how to determine most of the time through his words if I'll like it or not. I think with the addition of the forum it will be even better as I get used to the viewpoints of others.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:31 pm
Hi there, long time reader, first time poster. I've been reading Reelviews since... jeez, I can't remember. Way back in the Colussus days. 1998, maybe? I am big fan of JB and his writing style, and I have found over the years that I agree with him about 75% of the time. Pretty much the only other place I go online for film critiscism and commentary is Eberts site and The AV Club. SO... there you go.

Edit: Oh, and, my name is Brian, I am in the Cincinnati area and I am 31!

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:10 pm
Hey everyone, it's Carter here, just thought I'd share some exciting news.

I've just been offered a job at The State News, East Lansing's student run newspaper. This is a major step, and I wanted to thank Reelviews and the Reelviews forum for inspiring me!

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:39 pm
moulton4 wrote:
Hey everyone, it's Carter here, just thought I'd share some exciting news.

I've just been offered a job at The State News, East Lansing's student run newspaper. This is a major step, and I wanted to thank Reelviews and the Reelviews forum for inspiring me!

Congrats, Carter.

Although you know James' stance on newspapers...

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:18 pm
Just so everyone knows, my avatar is actually a picture of me! Go figure...

Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:14 am
Blace wrote:

Bring back any of your previous avators! Especially Kristin Stewart

Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:17 am
Patrick wrote:
Blace wrote:

Bring back any of your previous avators! Especially Kristin Stewart

Am I that ugly? :lol:

Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:29 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next