Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:14 am

Arrested Development (Spoilers Welcome) 
Post Arrested Development (Spoilers Welcome)
For my money, the greatest situational comedy ever aired. Out of it's 3 seasons and 53 episodes, every single moment of this series was special, consistent, and utterly hilarious. This might have the best top-to-bottom casting of any show I have seen, and hands down the best writing.

That being said, out of Gob, Michael, Lindsey, George Michael George Sr., Oscar, etc.. who's your favorite suburban horror?

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:14 am
Post Re: Arrested Development (Spoilers Welcome)
That's such a difficult question. They all have their pros, not many have cons.

I think it's between Tobias and Gob for me. I love George Michael, but I've never related that well to his hyper-neurotic behavior, same deal with Buster. Michael is the everyman, but still has some of the best lines and reactions in the show.

"Oh who would ever want go in that dusty old claptrap." "What are we talking about here?"

The rest of the cast is very funny, but doesn't quite match those two characters. The guest appearances are really well done too, especially Martin Short.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:35 am
My wife and I had a conversation silmilar to what you are asking only it was who is a worse mom, Lucille or Evelyn from "Two and a Half Men" lol!

I have to say I really liked Gob, George Michael and Tobias the most when things would go wrong. One of the best running gags was Tobias' Blue Man Group foul up and his constant verbal leanings to homosexuality! That and Gob and any animal he wanted to use for a show. The best thing was they never ran the running gags into the ground. Not even the dangerous deep fryer... :)

I think this show was doomed because of bad marketing. I remember my wife and I not having any idea what it was about or if it was funny [prior to seeing clips online long after the show died] because we only saw Liza Minnelli falling down all the time in the commercials. I truly think it was poor marketing that helped end it because it wasn't content. Third season was just as funny as the first.

I am really excited for the movie as well!

"Gob, didn't I tell you to get rid of the Seaward?"
"I'm right here Michael!"

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:00 pm
Arguably one of the funniest shows ever to air on network television. For my favorite character, it's between GOB and Buster. Though Tobias always had his moments.

One of all-time favorite AD moments was at the end of "The Ocean Walker", where Michael breaks off his engagement to Rita, and she walks across the pool, on the water. Michael turns to GOB and asks, "Is that one of your tricks?" GOB responds, "No, that's not one of my tricks". The episode "ends" as if it's seriously trying to pull off a Jesus allegory. Immediately, we are treated with "On the next Arrested Development...", and it cuts to the last scene where GOB exclaims, "It's one of my ILLUSIONS!!!" I must have laughed for centuries after that one.

Anyone excited about the feature film supposedly in the works? They're having troubles getting Michael Cera on board, but once's that done, they can start shooting right away, as soon as this summer!

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:48 pm
Ryan wrote:
Anyone excited about the feature film supposedly in the works? They're having troubles getting Michael Cera on board, but once's that done, they can start shooting right away, as soon as this summer!

Insanely excited.
This seems like a hard project to get going though as it absolutely relies on getting everyone in the cast back. In other movies you can recast people, cut a character in a rewrite or something, but in this case the show WAS the characters, all of them

My favorite? Probably Michael actually, Jason Bateman plays the straight man to perfection and that drives the series.
Of the crazy ones, probably Gob.

I was so sad to see this show go - I managed to get all my friends into it before it ended, but apparently I don't have enough friends to single-handedly keep a show on the air. Not enough friends with Nielsen boxes maybe.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:22 pm

I blue myself

Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:37 am
Best comedy ever (followed by The Office and Curb), every single moment was perfect, every joke worked and ever character was awesome.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:38 am
Lindsey
What were his last words?

<Flashback> Tobias
I just blue myself.

Michael
He said some beautiful things...

Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:07 pm
Other moments I loved:

Lindsey's Timocil incidents...
'The Man Inside Me' readings
George Michael and the muscle suit
George's brother's incarcerations
Lucille and Oscar using Buster's hand as a sex toy [I'm putting this on pots and pans cycle ]
Buster's cuss-fest about Lucille, made even better by all the beeps.

Sorry, I don't know the episode names, just the moments.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:43 am
Lucille: What are you doing today, Michael?
Michael: Having my day ruined with whatever you're about to ask me...

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:04 am
J Walter Weatherman my favourite character for the record.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:27 am
I don't watch television, so when I say I watched the entire season four time in the past three months, it's a big compliment. Arrested Development is the funniest show I've ever seen and because it came at a rough time in my life, it's really comforting. It's rare that a show gets much better on repeat viewings as you discover jokes you missed the first time around. I didn't notice Henry Winkler jumping the shark until my third time through.

My favorite characters are Tobias and Gob, though I really like everyone (even George Michael). Tobias and his Blue Man Group phase (the musical group, by the way) I think is unrivaled in creativity and hilarity, and Gob and dancing to The Final Countdown is the best thing ever. I love that song now. J. Walter Weatherman is probably my favorite recurring character, though Carl Weathers would be a close second.

Such a good show. I hope that movie gets made.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:58 pm
I LOVE this show...but knew nothing about it until well into the third season. I always thought the promo's and commercials made it look terrible so I had no interest until a friend told me about it.

As for the original question, Tobias is probably my favorite...with all his awful wordplay quotes.

My favorite episode was the one with the "Bees" and "Beads" confusion

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:48 pm
Colin wrote:
I LOVE this show...but knew nothing about it until well into the third season. I always thought the promo's and commercials made it look terrible so I had no interest until a friend told me about it.

As for the original question, Tobias is probably my favorite...with all his awful wordplay quotes.

My favorite episode was the one with the "Bees" and "Beads" confusion

Bees? Beads!

We'll see who brings in more honey! Bzzzzzz!

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:51 pm
"Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?"

Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:53 pm
Favorite scene- the "literal" doctor at the hospital after George, Sr. was admitted with a heart attack. "We lost him".

Favorite running gag- Attorney Bob Loblaw.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:43 am
Not to be nit-picky, but I don't think I would call it a sit-com at all. That is where it didn't catch on. It was one of the first half-hour comedies to not use a laugh track. There are more and more now, and I think it might have survived it if started a few years later, but I am glad for what we did have.

I have let so many people borrow my dvd's, and every time it is the same thing. They loved it.

My favorite episode is hands down "The Immaculte Election."

"Steve Holt is a bastard. He doesn't even know who his father is."

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:49 am
I just wanted to add that James Berardenelli SHOULD watch this show. I think this is the one show he has no idea of; he'd be raving about it if he ever watched it from the beginning...

Tobias is my fav character, for the record.

"Tobias: Oh, that is quite a basket you’ve got there, Michael. That Sally Sitwell is one lucky lady.
Michael: Well, I’m not so sure that she’s actually right for me anyway. But you got one of these, too, didn’t you? You, you bought Lindsay at the same auction.
Tobias: Well, yes, but I’m afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run, if you will, so now I’m afraid I have something of a mess on my hands.
Michael: There are just so many poorly chosen words in that sentence."

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:43 am
samsid wrote:
I just wanted to add that James Berardenelli SHOULD watch this show. I think this is the one show he has no idea of; he'd be raving about it if he ever watched it from the beginning...

Tobias is my fav character, for the record.

"Tobias: Oh, that is quite a basket you’ve got there, Michael. That Sally Sitwell is one lucky lady.
Michael: Well, I’m not so sure that she’s actually right for me anyway. But you got one of these, too, didn’t you? You, you bought Lindsay at the same auction.
Tobias: Well, yes, but I’m afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run, if you will, so now I’m afraid I have something of a mess on my hands.
Michael: There are just so many poorly chosen words in that sentence."

"Tobias, you blow hard!"

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:24 pm
Trevor wrote:

My favorite? Probably Michael actually, Jason Bateman plays the straight man to perfection and that drives the series.

I like Michael a lot as well. It could very easily have been the thankless straight-man part but the character is given enough of his own neuroses and vices to be interesting/fun in his own right.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:04 pm