Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:38 am

FLASHDANCE (1983) 
Site Admin

Post FLASHDANCE (1983)
Click here for the review of Flashdance (1983)

Part of the "1980s" series.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Post Re: FLASHDANCE (1983)
No quibbles with this review; it was right on the money. Flashdance is one of those phenomena that, looking back now over twenty years, is hard to explain.

I think one of the reasons why this movie did so well at the box office was that it was, quite simply, a great date movie. Women, of course, enjoyed the romance and the fairy tale aspects of the story. For the guys, there was just enough suggestion of skin to make it tolerable, and, let's face it, regardless of her acting skills, Jennifer Beals was easy on the eyes. Moreover, everybody liked the upbeat music, and the overall look of the movie was much like music videos, which were relatively novel back in 1983.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:38 am
You are too kind, I found it barely watchable.

Jennifer Beals is very pretty-- beautiful, in fact, but she doesn't have the acting chops to back it up. Her acting is very uneven, especially during the "big" emotional scenes. The script doesn't help at all-- Alex, as written, is precocious, possessive, and immature. The romance is another problem. Nick comes across as a creepy, unpleasant guy, and there is no chemistry between the leads whatsoever. The subplots are poorly elaborated upon, and the characters spout cliches and act in a cliched manner.

This film has aged very badly.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:56 am
Site Admin

The main reason I decided to review this film is the number of prominent people involved behind-the-scenes. This is where the Bruckheimer empire started (his first co-production with Simpson). Plus the involvement of Lyne and Eszterhas. It's fascinating to track their careers forward from this.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Flashdance might be considered one of the first signs of Hollywood's Apocalypse.

Great opening line.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:39 am
James Berardinelli wrote:
The main reason I decided to review this film is the number of prominent people involved behind-the-scenes. This is where the Bruckheimer empire started (his first co-production with Simpson). Plus the involvement of Lyne and Eszterhas. It's fascinating to track their careers forward from this.

I also find it kinda interesting to note that now, Bruckheimer is still going strong, and you MIGHT be able to argue for Lynne (although not nearly the same level Jerry's at), but Eszterhas has more or less completely fallen out of favor...

Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:24 pm
MTRodaba2468 wrote:

I also find it kinda interesting to note that now, Bruckheimer is still going strong, and you MIGHT be able to argue for Lynne (although not nearly the same level Jerry's at), but Eszterhas has more or less completely fallen out of favor...

But what has Lynne done since Unfaithful? Or have I been missing something..or a lot of somethings.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:05 pm
Did anyone read Joe Eszterhas' book? I haven't but this thread brought the following question up: what happened? His name was nearly household for a while then... nothing. Was it the string of failures or did he call it a day to do charity?

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:00 pm
Site Admin

majoraphasia wrote:
Did anyone read Joe Eszterhas' book? I haven't but this thread brought the following question up: what happened? His name was nearly household for a while then... nothing. Was it the string of failures or did he call it a day to do charity?

His book killed his Hollywood career. He named names. After that, he became one of those who would "never work in this town again."

Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

His book killed his Hollywood career. He named names. After that, he became one of those who would "never work in this town again."

Sounds like an interesting book. Probably a better read than many of his screenplays.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:30 pm