Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:44 pm

Movies you've seen that need more attention 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Movies you've seen that need more attention
If you're like me, sometimes you see a movie that mostly flew under the radar, and even if it's not perfect, you wish that you could tell more people about it. That's what this thread is for. Name a film you've seen recently that you think hasn't gotten enough talk, and why it's worth seeing.

I'll start. I mentioned it on the "last movie you saw" thread -- "Free Fall", a German drama film about a cop-in-training whose life is thrown into chaos after he cheats on his pregnant girlfriend with another male trainee. While it could have been improved, it's still compelling and deserves a watch (it's on Netflix Instant).

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: Movies you've seen that need more attention
The Long Day Closes (1992)- I'm a plot guy, so a no-narrative film has to work overtime to impress me. This film plays beautifully like fragment of childhood memories and ranks among my favorite films.

Comrades: Almost a Love Story (1996) - I actually need to watch this again because I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but it's an Hong Kong epic decade-spanning love story that made a huge impact back when it's released. Starring Maggie Cheung, and it's on youtube!

Christmas in August (1998) - JB mentions April Snow in his twitter recs, but I liked this film from the same director better. A gentle, very understated Korean romance that feels very refreshing.

Il Mare (2000) - I like the remake The Lake House a good deal (due to Reeves' and Bullock's chemistry and its adult sensibility), but the ending downgrades the romantic power of this Korean original. Also on youtube.

Citizen Dog (2004) - Thailand's answer to Jeunet.

A Bittersweet Life (2005) - Kim Jee-woon makes one of my favorite horrors every with A Tale of Two Sisters. This action film isn't as original, but it's hugely stylish and enjoyable.

Joyeux Noël (2005) - A World War I film, it has become an annual Christmas watch.

In Search of a Midnight Kiss (2008) - Romantic comedy in the vein of Before Sunrise, although busier and messier. It starts out lightly enjoyable, but reaches some real emotional by the time it ends.

The Message (2009) - A Chinese espionage thriller with the plot of a classic Agatha Christie. In 1942, after assassination attempts on government officials, a group of suspects are gathered in a mansion house for questioning. A game of cat and mouse ensues as the Chinese code-breaker attempts to send out a crucial message while protecting his/her own identity. It's fun, tense, and keeps you guessing to the end.

Confessions (2010) - A Japanese thriller. Its spectacular one-monologue first act is a masterpiece, and then it maybe skirts too close to nihilism afterwards. Still, that opening half-and-hour monologue deserves to be seen and is worth the price alone.

Laddaland (2011) - One half well-executed Asian Horror 101, one half a perceptive drama about family disintegration. Both complement each other greatly and make it one of my favorite horrors.

Sparrows Dance (2013) - One of the most charming romantic stories of recent years. The scene of that titular dance with a long zoom-in will melt your heart.

Last edited by peng on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:35 am
Auteur

Not exactly a film I saw recently, but I still think it deserves a mention.

Fruitvale Station-Amazing film that was completely ignored at the Oscars with not even a single nomination, it's a real shame as I feel it's a stronger film then any of the winners or nominees.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:34 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:

Fruitvale Station-Amazing film that was completely ignored at the Oscars with not even a single nomination, it's a real shame as I feel it's a stronger film then any of the winners or nominees.

Whereas I think it got way too much buzz and it's emotional finale (which by the way I did think was handled well) made everyone forget the first hour and which was "aggressively mediocre".

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:20 pm
Auteur

Gedmud wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Whereas I think it got way too much buzz and it's emotional finale (which by the way I did think was handled well) made everyone forget the first hour and which was "aggressively mediocre".

I don't think it was "mediocre" at all, I thought it was tightly gripping from beginning to end, I don't remember it receiving a ton of buzz compared to other films that were blatant Oscar bait.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:17 pm
Producer

Most of the buzz was on Michael B. Jordan's performance. He had an outside chance of getting nominated. But it didn't happen. Fruitvale Station might not have been as big an awards contender as it could have been, but it received rave reviews from critics, was a big hit at Sundance and pretty much catapulted Jordan to stardom. He might not have gotten his role in Fantastic Four if Fruitvale Station hadn't come out. It was a gazillion critics' top 10 lists as well. It definitely got a lot of attention.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:28 pm
Assistant Director

Confession: an early Chris Pine movie that never made it out of the indie circuit (the minuscule budget probably had something to do with it). It's both extremely complex yet completely simple. It's about a Catholic school bad boy (played by Pine, of course), who throws a party only to get ratted on by the school's dork, which leads to expulsion for him and his weak-willed roommate. An act of revenge quickly escalates out of control, and the snitch ends up dead. Further complicating matters is that the detective has a grudge against Catholic schools and is convinced that the priest that Pine's character confessed the crime to did the deed. It's one of those movies that's both unbearably suspenseful and heartbreakingly tragic. 4/4

Burke & Hare: I have a dark and twisted sense of humor, so this is right up my alley. Simon Pegg and Andy Serkis turn a movie about two serial killers into a dark buddy movie. And it's directed by John Landis. Need I say more? 3.5/4

Magic Mike: Although this was a monster success at the box office, it earned little love from critics or audiences. The verisimilitude with which it was scripted and acted is astonishing, and the performances are, with one sort-of exception, flawless. Channing Tatum, Cody Horn and Matthew McConaughey deserved Oscar nominations, and the film was my Best of 2012. 4/4

The First Grader: I don't know if anyone actually saw this movie, but it was amazing. It's the true story of an ex-Kenyan revolutionary who enrolls in primary school at age 84 with much controversy. It has two wonderful performances, a lot of heart and great storytelling. It may be formula, but I can't think of any other movie that made me cover my eyes to a horrifying incident. 4/4

Fear: It may seem like a "Fatal Attraction" ripoff, but no one understood the insight or the technique that this film had. This movie left me covered in sweat and shaking for an hour (this is not meant to be used as a sexual innuendo, you guys). I'm sure this is partly due to a terrifying roommate experience I had in college, but it's still a smart and scary thriller with believable characters. 4/4

The Descent: So it's a minor hit. But this movie is so fucking scary that it puts movies like "Scream" and "The Exorcist" to shame. Brilliant cinematography (the scene where the girls are squeezing through that tiny tunnel gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it) helps this to be one of the most terrifying movies of all time. 4/4

The Rock: This is a blockbuster and a member of the Criterion Collection. But whenever someone lists the top action movies of all time, it's stuff like "Die Hard" or "Bullitt" that get the top honors. Bay may be a popular whipping boy, and there is some merit to that, but this movie makes them all seem like posers. 4/4

And...

The War Zone: No contest. Few films are tougher to watch or more open to interpretation. Not only does it force us to realize that
[Reveal] Spoiler:
incest
is something that happens every day when we'd prefer not to think about it, but it every scene is open to endless interpretation. Not even "Memento" was this oblique and thoughtful. 4/4

Also worthy of more attention: Saint Ralph, Mrs. Henderson Presents (anyone who has watched "Twilight" should be required to watch this one to undo all the damage it does to girls), Farewell, My Concubine (someone please just put Gong Li in more movies), This Film is Not Yet Rated (I will never rest until the MPAA makes radical changes to its policies and methods...that'll never happen, but still), Rush, The Man from Elysian Fields, Into the Blue (much more intelligent, suspenseful and better acted than people give it credit for), The Peacemaker, If a Tree Falls: The Story of the ELF (every political aficionado needs to watch this), Trust (another movie for "Twilight" devotees), Carriers, and The Believer

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Last edited by moviemkr7 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:16 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

Another example would be Dead Man Down, it bombed pretty bad and was forgotten quickly, it's a real shame because it's a compelling action thriller with a terrific performance from Noomi Rapace.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:20 am
Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
Fear: It may seem like a "Fatal Attraction" ripoff, but no one understood the insight or the technique that this film had. This movie left me covered in sweat and shaking for an hour (this is not meant to be used as a sexual innuendo, you guys). I'm sure this is partly due to a terrifying roommate experience I had in college, but it's still a smart and scary thriller with believable characters.

The Descent: So it's a minor hit. But this movie is so fucking scary that it puts movies like "Scream" and "The Exorcist" to shame. Brilliant cinematography (the scene where the girls are squeezing through that tiny tunnel gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it) helps this to be one of the most terrifying movies of all time.

The Rock: This is a blockbuster and a member of the Criterion Collection. But whenever someone lists the top action movies of all time, it's stuff like "Die Hard" or "Bullitt" that get the top honors. Bay may be a popular whipping boy, and there is some merit to that, but this movie makes them all seem like posers.

Good choices. The Descent is one of the best recent horror films, way better than all the Saws, Hostels and Paranormal Activities dominating the box office. Fear to me actually is better than Fatal Attraction. The Rock still stands as Michael Bay's best movie and reminds us that before Pearl Harbor and those Transformers abominations, he could craft a pretty good action movie.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:42 am
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Fear: It may seem like a "Fatal Attraction" ripoff, but no one understood the insight or the technique that this film had. This movie left me covered in sweat and shaking for an hour (this is not meant to be used as a sexual innuendo, you guys). I'm sure this is partly due to a terrifying roommate experience I had in college, but it's still a smart and scary thriller with believable characters.

The Descent: So it's a minor hit. But this movie is so fucking scary that it puts movies like "Scream" and "The Exorcist" to shame. Brilliant cinematography (the scene where the girls are squeezing through that tiny tunnel gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it) helps this to be one of the most terrifying movies of all time.

The Rock: This is a blockbuster and a member of the Criterion Collection. But whenever someone lists the top action movies of all time, it's stuff like "Die Hard" or "Bullitt" that get the top honors. Bay may be a popular whipping boy, and there is some merit to that, but this movie makes them all seem like posers.

Good choices. The Descent is one of the best recent horror films, way better than all the Saws, Hostels and Paranormal Activities dominating the box office. Fear to me actually is better than Fatal Attraction. The Rock still stands as Michael Bay's best movie and reminds us that before Pearl Harbor and those Transformers abominations, he could craft a pretty good action movie.
Speaking of Bay, I would put up "The Island", it seems like that's one of Bay's least remembered films, I thought it had a pretty interesting plot and felt smarter then his previous films.

I still enjoy the Transformers films, though at the same time I do wish Bay would make Bad Boys 3 already like he's been hinting at for so many years.

Also loved The Descent, it's one of the best experiences in a theater I ever had.

One horror film that JB absolutely hated that I personally liked was Captivity, I thought it was a really tense and involving thriller.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:44 pm
Director

The Descent is great. A true horror film.

Having now seen Face/Off, another Nic Cage 90s actioner, I'm even more confident of The Rock's cruddiness. I can't get into the older Bay. Had to shut off Armageddon before getting very far. Unwatchable nonsense, which I think Transformers films are not, oddly. The Rock I also found pretty much unwatchable, not sure how I got through it. It probably makes my bottom 10 or so. I don't understand why I'm the only one who sees how much Bay has improved since then, but it's probably not worth discussing. Every scene in The Rock is treated as if it's the most important scene in the film. Every scene, almost every shot, is a tangent that has nothing to do with the central focus. It's 150 one-minute films. The plot is dumber than Transformers because literally every scene is a stupid screenwriting contrivance. I'd rather see Transformers advertise Budweiser in every scene than watch a replay of "Hollywood Screenwriting for Idiots" for 2.5 hours (the scene where Cage makes Connery look good in front of his daughter is far more gag-worthy than anything in TF4). And Connery is on such autopilot...almost as bad as League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:53 am
Producer

Mel's Gibson's Apocalypto is a staggering film. Yet languishes in many a bargain basket across the globe. Gibson's meltdowns may have contributed to that.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:00 am
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Mel's Gibson's Apocalypto is a staggering film. Yet languishes in many a bargain basket across the globe. Gibson's meltdowns may have contributed to that.

I thought Apocalypto was pretty good. Engaging and fun. Gibson was on an interesting track there. But with pretty much any job in life, you're judged in terms of character as much as skill. It may not always be fair, but there's a certain reason for it that I think is ultimately just.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:21 am
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:

Eh, I may not speak for all, but at least here people always re-discover it, half from its own strength and half from it always being a main test movie in many HD TV and sound system stores. It comes up regularly as recommendations in other boards too.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:30 am
Assistant Director

peng wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

Eh, I may not speak for all, but at least here people always re-discover it, half from its own strength and half from it always being a main test movie in many HD TV and sound system stores. It comes up regularly as recommendations in other boards too.

I thought it was really bad, actually.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:01 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

There are a couple of movies recently that I tried to find decent home video copies of but couldn't.

First up was The Trial directed by Orson Welles and starring Anthony Perkins. I tried watching it on Netflix streaming but the visual quality was poor and gave up as I wanted to watch under only ideal circumstances. Unfortunately, the only blu-ray I could find was for the wrong region. Boo. One would think this would be an ideal candidate for a Criterion release but nope, gotta make sure The Fantastic Mr. Fox gets Criterioned...

The second was Hedwig and the Angry Inch, my personal favorite queer themed film of all time, but it's never been released on blu-ray.

I realize that films that "didn't receive enough attention" and films that "failed to be released on blu-ray in all regions" are not the exact same categories, but one kind of has to imagine that the reason that they didn't get released in the best widely available formats is because they weren't popular in the first place.
-Jeremy

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

thered47 wrote:
I realize that films that "didn't receive enough attention" and films that "failed to be released on blu-ray in all regions" are not the exact same categories, but one kind of has to imagine that the reason that they didn't get released in the best widely available formats is because they weren't popular in the first place.
-Jeremy

I feel like in the couple of posts above yours, my original intention for this thread was lost pretty quickly -- I don't count Apocalypto or Fruitvale Station as particularly hidden or obscure. But I guess if people are discussing movies with each other, then it isn't a loss anyway. I can definitely identify with waiting for movies to be released on Blu-ray.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Buried is an overlooked gem from a few years ago. By far Ryan Reynold's best performance.

Country Strong is also a movie that is very overlooked IMO.

Peter Weir's The Way Back

Moonlight Mile is a wonderful movie that is overlooked.

So is Below.

Fair Game is another movie I love that is overlooked. No, not the Cindy Crawford/Billy Baldwin action flick. I'm talking about the Doug Liman directed film that stars Sean Penn and Naomi Watts. I thought it was fantastic. One of the best films of 2010.

Another Earth is a small indie movie from 2011 that deserved more attention than it got. The director of that movie has a movie that is about to be released called I Origins which also looks fantastic. Looking forward to that.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is kind of overlooked. I don't remember what the movie's box office was though, so maybe I'm wrong about it being overlooked. There is a difference between underrated and overlooked. Maybe it's more underrated than overlooked. Don't remember.

Out of the Furnace is definitely overlooked though. Christian Bale should have been nominated for this role, not American Hustle IMO.

Cloud Atlas is definitely overlooked and that's a shame. John Carter is both overlooked and underrated.

The Sessions got great reviews but for some reason was definitely overlooked especially at awards season.

Another movie that counts as both underrated and overlooked is The Words. Not enough people went to go see it. I loved it. It deserved a better fate than to be released and quickly forgotten about.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:17 pm
Director

Nothing But The Truth is one that could stand more attention. A well-done political thriller written and directed by Rod Lurie and starring Kate Beckinsale, Vera Farmiga, Matt Dillon and Alan Alda.

Drugstore Cowboy, also starring Dillon, could stand more attention. It's Gus Van Sant's best film.

The 1992 crime thriller Deep Cover with Laurence Fishburne and Jeff Goldblum is also often overlooked. Very good performances by those two and a plot that focuses on the thin line between cop and criminal.

The Hughes Brothers 1995 film Dead Presidents is often overlooked. I know a few people both on this forum and elsewhere that give this the love it deserves. But it remains underseen by much of the general public. Probably because it was mismarketed as a heist film primarily, also because it may have been too "black" or too "ghetto" to have wider appeal. Following in the wake of a masterpiece (Menace II Society) didn't help matters.

Talk Radio is Oliver Stone's most underrated picture.

Likewise, Clockers is the Spike Lee film that time forgot.

Quiz Show stands as Robert Redford's best film as a director. Yet more people remember the overpraised Ordinary People.

Gone Baby Gone was popular with critics. But was one of the more overlooked movies of the banner year that was 2007.

Ted Demme's 2001 film Blow has some major flaws, most notably its derivative screenplay. But the direction is very good (shame it was Demme's last movie) and Depp's performance is outstanding. Definitely worth a viewing as a reminder of what a good actor Depp can be in the wake of those Pirates movies and the Lone Ranger.

Night Catches Us (with Anthony Mackie and Kerry Washington) is a pretty good recent indie.

Half Nelson, for those who haven't seen, features one of Ryan Gosling's best performances.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:29 am
Producer

Good call on Nothing But the Truth. Great flick. Kate Beckinsale's best performance. Although this movie came out the same year as another great performance of hers, David Gordon Green' Snow Angels, which is another overlooked gem.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 am