Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:34 am

20th anniversary of "True Lies" - July 15th 
Second Unit Director

Post 20th anniversary of "True Lies" - July 15th
Any fans of this film?

It's my least favorite of James Cameron's films, but I still find it to be a good action comedy. This probably should have been Arnold's last action film for his career. We should finally get information on the Blu-ray at this year's Comic Con in about a week.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:42 am
Auteur

Post Re: 20th anniversary of "True Lies" - July 15th
Personally I think it's one of Cameron's best film, it's too bad the proposed sequel never happened. I'd certainly much rather see a sequel to this then freaking Avatar.

Glad it wasn't Arnold's last action film, as otherwise we wouldn't have had Eraser, T3, Last Stand, etc.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:49 am
Director

It competes with The Abyss as my least favorite Cameron film, but they both are still 8/10 in my eyes, so I liked the guy plenty. I might even be tempted to bump it up when considered it to many of today's action-comedy crop.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:28 am
Assistant Director

I own it in DVD and I would love to have it in blu ray too 8-) . This film is a very entertaining action-comedy ! Love Gib (Tom Arnold) saying:

Quote:
Harry? Harry? You do not have time to tango, buddy. You copy?

and I have never seen Jaimie Lee Curtis so hot and funny at the same time ;)

Some basic stats for this movie

RT= 72% (from 46 reviews)
IMDB= 7.2 (from 154605 votes)
Production cost = $ 115 million (1994 dollar)
Box Office = $378,882,411 (1994 Dollar)

Attachments:
True Lies tango.JPG
True Lies tango.JPG [ 11.82 KiB | Viewed 305 times ]
Curtis True Lies.JPG
Curtis True Lies.JPG [ 23.43 KiB | Viewed 305 times ]

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:33 am
Profile WWW
Producer

My ranking of Cameron's movies best to weakest:

Aliens
Terminator 2
Titanic
True Lies
Terminator

Still need to see the Abyss.

But I do love this movie. It's a great parody of spy movies while also being a great spy movie. It's hilarious, exciting, exhilarating. One of Schwarzenegger's best performances. Tom Arnold is great. Jaime Lee Curtis is great. It's a little long, but it's never boring. My second favorite of Schwarzenegger's as well.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:52 am
Cinematographer

Great film. I love it. I think it is often overlooked in light of Cameron's other masterpieces (T2, Aliens, Titanic, now Avatar), but I certainly think it can hold its own against some of those.

EDIT: Just to follow ilovemovies' lead...

Aliens
The Terminator
Terminator 2
Titanic
True Lies

To me, Terminator 2, Titanic, and True Lies are probably tied, with Avatar easily being the last one. I haven't seen The Abyss in a long, long time, and I don't remember it well enough to rank it fairly.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Director

Thief12 wrote:
Great film. I love it. I think it is often overlooked in light of Cameron's other masterpieces

Agreed. In some ways, this is the James Cameron movie that time forgot. Mainly on account of being sandwiched in between T2 and Titanic. (In the same period he also wrote the underrated Strange Days, my favorite Kathryn Bigelow film).

To me, this succeeded where Last Action Hero failed: at successfully showing off both aspects of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the action star and the comedian. It used tropes from both genres and made them mesh together well.

Arnold was at his best here. But the one who surprised me when I first saw this during its theatrical run in 1994 was Tom Arnold. Bill Paxton was hilarious as well.

Vexer wrote:
Glad it wasn't Arnold's last action film, as otherwise we wouldn't have had Eraser, T3, Last Stand, etc.

The main problem that affected the bulk of his post True Lies action films is that movie fashion had changed significantly and he was struggling to catch up. By the later 90s (and the 2010s following his political career) Arnold and the action movie tropes associated with him were starting to seem out of fashion. I enjoyed The Last Stand, thought Sabotage had its moments and while not a huge fan of T3, liked it better than the ridiculous Salvation. The less said about the Sixth Day, Batman and Robin or Collateral Damage the better.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:38 am
Producer

I like all of his fictional films and it's hard to pick a favorite. True Lies may indeed be my least favorite and I like it a lot. I've only seen one of his documentaries, Aliens of the Deep, and didn't care for it.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:52 am
Second Unit Director

"The main problem that affected the bulk of his post True Lies action films is that movie fashion had changed significantly and he was struggling to catch up. By the later 90s (and the 2010s following his political career) Arnold and the action movie tropes associated with him were starting to seem out of fashion. I enjoyed The Last Stand, thought Sabotage had its moments and while not a huge fan of T3, liked it better than the ridiculous Salvation. The less said about the Sixth Day, Batman and Robin or Collateral Damage the better."

You have to acknowledge the fact that, well, Arnold wasn't getting any younger.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:52 pm
Second Unit Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
But the one who surprised me when I first saw this during its theatrical run in 1994 was Tom Arnold.

Yeah, the main thing I remember about True Lies was being surprised by how good Tom Arnold was in it.

I watched the movie again on DVD about 6 years ago. Other than it and Avatar, I don't think I've seen any of Cameron's films since the turn of the century. In fact, other than Ture Lies, I'm not sure that I've seen any of them since their theatrical run. It's not that I don't like most of his movies; I just happened to have not re-watched them.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:21 pm