Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:56 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 778, 779, 780, 781, 782, 783, 784 ... 820  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Auteur

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
MGamesCook wrote:
Maniac Cop 2

Disappointing sequel that plays like bad fan fiction. Like all bad sequels, it made me realize that the previous installment didn't really need a sequel. William Lustig keeps up a certain competence in the area of cinematography, but even there it's vastly inferior to the first one. But the really terrible part is, naturally, the script. Replacing the intriguing natural intuitiveness of the first film is just one stupid contrivance after another. It gets dumber with every scene, but it's never really that amusing, even unintentionally. Lustig also overthinks the direction this time. He applied some really cool nuances in the first one, but here the direction just makes everything seem more convoluted. Finally, while the first one had fun pushing the envelope, this one is just in poor taste. Deaths are treated as horror/comedy instead of just horror. The best thing about the film, Robert Davi, is wasted and has too little screen time.

I guess sequels to solid standalone slashers are never good, so I shouldn't have expected anything from this. But the first one is really good, and this sequel has some cult hype for some reason (because of Davi I assume).

Gotta disagree here, I personally thought it was a great sequel and I don't think the deaths were treated as horror/comedy(though they kind of were in the third film). I think for the most slasher sequels are pretty good.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:39 am
Gaffer

Transcendence

My disappointment after watching Transcendence was compounded by the lingering feeling that it could've been a lot better due to its intriguing premise. Unfortunately, not much of anything is transcended in this thoroughly mediocre sci-fi film. The concept of a human conscience being transferred to an AI system can be taken in various interesting directions, but here it's squandered by bland characters and a script that gives trite, cursory treatment to themes of human identity and technology's effects on society. This is a movie that's nowhere near as smart nor profound as it tries to be. At least it's a great looking one.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:26 pm
Critic

prahsk87 wrote:
Transcendence

My disappointment after watching Transcendence was compounded by the lingering feeling that it could've been a lot better due to its intriguing premise. Unfortunately, not much of anything is transcended in this thoroughly mediocre sci-fi film. The concept of a human conscience being transferred to an AI system can be taken in various interesting directions, but here it's squandered by bland characters and a script that gives trite, cursory treatment to themes of human identity and technology's effects on society. This is a movie that's nowhere near as smart nor profound as it tries to be. At least it's a great looking one.

The trailer showed such promise -- I was disappointed by reviews such as yours

Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:31 pm
Director

Found a 4-DVD pack for $12.00 that contains Almost Famous, Election, Mean Girls and Clueless. Seeing as I love two of those movies, like one a great deal (Mean Girls) and consider one a guilty pleasure (Clueless) I grabbed it.

Today I re-watched the two that I love:

Election (1999)

Coming out the same year as the somewhat entertaining but overrated American Pie, this film is almost its diametric opposite. A biting satire that uses a school election to simultaneously skewer both HS life and American politics. After debuting with the more uneven Citizen Ruth, Alexander Payne establishes himself as a force in American film with this one. Matthew Broderick gives what's probably his best performance since Ferris Bueller and Reese Wotherspoon is fantastic as the uber entitled bitchy Tracy Flick, the kind of person who gives the millennial generation a bad name. Payne pulls no punches and the satire is just as effective today as it was in 1999. One of the top ten HS movies ever, no question.

Almost Famous (2000)

When I saw Almost Famous not long after it came to video, I was convinced it was the best film of 2000. Now, 2000 was a pretty weak year after the banner one that 1999. But even in a better year, Almost Famous would at least earn a spot on the top ten list.

Re-watching it now confirms that my opinion has not changed. In fact, this might very well be the best non-concert rock and roll film ever. It's not a bio-pic so it isn't bound by cliches. Cameron Crowe infuses the story with plenty of heart but not gooey sentimentality. And the performances are great as are the song selections. Still the best film of 2000.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:35 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
prahsk87 wrote:
Transcendence

The trailer showed such promise -- I was disappointed by reviews such as yours

I saw this a few days ago, and couldn't even muster up the energy needed to type up how disappointed I was with it. It's not exactly terrible per se. Rather, just very, very average. Nothing much to love, nothing much to hate. 5/10.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:34 am
Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Almost Famous (2000)When I saw Almost Famous not long after it came to video, I was convinced it was the best film of 2000. Now, 2000 was a pretty weak year after the banner one that 1999. But even in a better year, Almost Famous would at least earn a spot on the top ten list.
Re-watching it now confirms that my opinion has not changed. In fact, this might very well be the best non-concert rock and roll film ever. It's not a bio-pic so it isn't bound by cliches. Cameron Crowe infuses the story with plenty of heart but not gooey sentimentality. And the performances are great as are the song selections. Still the best film of 2000.

Yep. And PSH is great in it too.
"Aw, man. You made friends with them. See, friendship is the booze they feed you. They want you to get drunk on feeling like you belong.
Well, it was fun.
They make you feel cool. And hey. I met you. You are not cool.
I know. Even when I thought I was, I knew I wasn't.
That's because we're uncool. And while women will always be a problem for us, most of the great art in the world is about that very same problem. Good-looking people don't have any spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter.
I can really see that now.
Yeah, great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love... and let's face it, you got a big head start.
I'm glad you were home.
I'm always home. I'm uncool.
Me too.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.
I feel better.
My advice to you. I know you think those guys are your friends. You wanna be a true friend to them? Be honest, and unmerciful.
"

Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:39 am
Producer

Almost Famous is usually the movie I mention when I'm asked what is your favorite movie?

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:21 am
Assistant Director

Thelma & Louise Why is this movie so highly rated? It's a mix of the good and the astonishingly awful (the perverted trucker) with a completely underwritten script. Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon give it their all, but with a wildly inconsistent tone and an antagonist whose actions are demanded by the needs of the script, it's sunk. "Set it Off" covered similar territory with much greater success. 2.5/4

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:28 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Almost Famous is usually the movie I mention when I'm asked what is your favorite movie?

I can never answer that question, but it would certainly be a contender.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:02 am
Critic

nitrium wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Almost Famous (2000)When I saw Almost Famous not long after it came to video, I was convinced it was the best film of 2000. Now, 2000 was a pretty weak year after the banner one that 1999. But even in a better year, Almost Famous would at least earn a spot on the top ten list.

Yep. And PSH is great in it too.
"Aw, man. You made friends with them. See, friendship is the booze they feed you. They want you to get drunk on feeling like you belong.
Well, it was fun.
They make you feel cool. And hey. I met you. You are not cool.
I know. Even when I thought I was, I knew I wasn't.
That's because we're uncool. And while women will always be a problem for us, most of the great art in the world is about that very same problem. Good-looking people don't have any spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter.
I can really see that now.
Yeah, great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love... and let's face it, you got a big head start.
I'm glad you were home.
I'm always home. I'm uncool.
Me too.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.
I feel better.
My advice to you. I know you think those guys are your friends. You wanna be a true friend to them? Be honest, and unmerciful.
"

I love this sequence too. And the underlined line in particular is so well-delivered

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:30 am
Critic

moviemkr7 wrote:
Thelma & Louise Why is this movie so highly rated? It's a mix of the good and the astonishingly awful (the perverted trucker) with a completely underwritten script. Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon give it their all, but with a wildly inconsistent tone and an antagonist whose actions are demanded by the needs of the script, it's sunk. "Set it Off" covered similar territory with much greater success. 2.5/4

I'm with you. Wasn't impressed by this one at all.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:31 am
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

I think it's a solid enough film, for me it's biggest issue was being slightly overlong.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:12 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

Agreed. I liked Thelma And Louise when I first saw it. But re-watched it a couple years ago and it does not hold up very well at all. Agreed with the comment on Set It Off. That movie to me took the strengths of Thelma And Louise and few of the weaknesses.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:09 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

Agreed. I liked Thelma And Louise when I first saw it. But re-watched it a couple years ago and it does not hold up very well at all. Agreed with the comment on Set It Off. That movie to me took the strengths of Thelma And Louise and few of the weaknesses.

Set It Off certainly was an overlooked film so i'll concur with that.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:57 pm
Assistant Director

Jada Pinkett Smith and Queen Latifah should have gotten Oscar nominations for their performances.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

My guess is that people were overly impressed that someone did an action film where the women were the tough guys. It's something that was done better on TV in Cagney and Lacey. Once you get past the gender shift, there's not really that much there.

I don't like the film, but I rather like Scott's other attempt in G. I. Jane.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:16 am
Director

Calvary (2014)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2234003/
"I first tasted semen when I was seven years old". Now there's an opening line you won't soon forget. So begins this Irish film about a priest who is then told in the confession he has a week "to get his house in order" before he will be murdered to atone for the sexual crimes other priests have committed. Brendan Gleeson gives a superlative performance as the central character as he interacts with members of his parish, friends (including 'Littlefinger' Baelish - Aidan Gillen), and family, all the while knowing he may well be dead by the end of the week. Highly recommended.
8.5/10.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:39 am
Auteur

Syd Henderson wrote:
My guess is that people were overly impressed that someone did an action film where the women were the tough guys. It's something that was done better on TV in Cagney and Lacey. Once you get past the gender shift, there's not really that much there.

I don't like the film, but I rather like Scott's other attempt in G. I. Jane.

Speaking of Cagney and Lacey, i'd really like to see a movie adaption of that show, I think it could work pretty well if it went the 21 Jump Street route.

I don't think it had anything to do with people being overly impressed.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:57 am
Second Unit Director

The Immigrant (2013)

A period piece set just after WW1 with Marion Cotillard as a Polish immigrant arriving with her sister at Ellis Island to be processed as American citizens. Her sister is quarantined for TB and Cotillard falls into the clutches of Joaquin Phoenix who is a pimp and burlesques show operator who trolls for new girls in the immigration line. The good parts is the period detail and costumes are immaculate. The authenticity oozes off the screen and Cotillard is very convincing with her character who is by turns naive,gullible,dishonest,stubbornly proud and religiously devout despite doing anything low thing to survive. A pretty complex character that unfortunately gets stuck in a melodramatic love triangle between Phoenix and Jeremy Renner. It was well made and well acted but the story does not resonate in any way and becomes kind of forgettable. A movie that did this kind of story a bit better is The Golden Door from Italy by Emanuele Crialese

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:23 am
Second Unit Director

Two recent viewings, both very different and very good:

First, Snowpiercer. It feels like a foreign film in many ways, mostly good ones (the exception being some iffy sound mixing in some dialogue spots). It's imperfect, but genuinely ambitious and interesting all the way through. Most of the huge outdoor visuals work extremely well. Overall the film is stunning to look at, and there's a few terrific set pieces. Thematically it's a bit trite and more than a bit heavy-handed, but given the premise that's kindof inevitable. It's a madly visceral experience, and Joon-ho Bong is one of the most exciting and inventive filmmakers around. I was most surprised at how dark and icky it was, almost playing like a straight-horror film at times. By nature it won't be for everyone, but I can't overstate how much I think you should give it a shot.

Then there's Nicolas Cage, Tye Sheridan, and Nicolas Cage's Beard in Joe. Like Snowpiercer, the plot elements that convey the themes are not exactly subtle, but they mostly work. I'm a sworn Cage disciple, but I don't buy that his work here is earth-shaking in the sense that while it's a tad more understated than he typically is, it won't win you over if you're a hater. Cage is the blue cheese of actors: loved by a few, hated by many, a whole lot of situational opinions in between. Don't get me wrong: this is a fantastic performance, somewhere in his top 5. And while the feel and flavor of the film won't win you over if everything about the premise and director don't excite you, it's not nearly as drab or dull as films of this ilk sometimes are. It's genuinely character-driven all the way through, and the tone is fair and true. The performances are all splendid, including the father portrayed by a homeless man who died in real life. His is a delightfully small performance, but not in the elemental way of untrained actors, but in the inhabited way of the best actors. It's impossible to separate the true story from the performance (and the film, really), and the layer of tragedy is overwhelming at times. It's worth seeing just for that. But it's also just worth seeing. The comparasins to Matty Mac and Mud are easy and obvious, and while it may not be the better film, it's way closer to being that I thought it would be.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:36 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 778, 779, 780, 781, 782, 783, 784 ... 820  Next