July 08, 2014: "Fuck off, Shitbag" 
Site Admin

Post July 08, 2014: "Fuck off, Shitbag"
Click here to read topic.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Post Re: July 08, 2014: "Fuck off, Shitbag"
I'm sorry you had to experience such boorish behaviour at the theatre you attended.

It reminds me of a response that online film reviewer Chris Stuckmann gave about this very topic on his Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qDJxdrW ... UwCF_YpxF7

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:55 pm
Auteur

Hate to break it to you, but people being rude in theaters is NOT a new thing at all, in my state(Illinois) back when Boyz In The Hood came out, there was an argument in a movie theater that turned into a shooting that left one person dead.

Fortunately I haven't encountered any major instances of people being rude in a theater like you have, no one's ever insulted me or anything like that or been particularly loud or obnoxious. Of course I have noticed several instances of parents taking little kids to R-rated films, and I seriously want to scold those people but have to bite my tongue. There was only instance where I can recall a person telling others to quiet down, and they were actually nice enough to listen. I was told by others to quiet down myself, due to my Aspberger's Syndrome I sometimes end up speaking my thoughts out loud without realizing it, so I quickly apologized and that was the end of that.

It always mystifies me when people say we've gotten more rude now, we really haven't. But the thing is rude behavior is much more noticeable with the rise of the internet and social media.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:58 pm
Director

People misbehaving in movie theaters has been going on for a long time. I too have seen a fight break out and the police get involved during a RUSH HOUR 2 showing, and that was over a decade ago. That's far and away the worst example I've ever seen, and hopefully I'll never see it again.

There are a couple of huge talking points to take away from this, though. The first is the cellphone annoyance. We as a society are so addicted to our smartphones that we feel any and all "dead space" absolutely must be filled with whipping out the phone and browsing through silly things we could easily find at home. You would think that paying for a movie, or at least setting aside some time to see it (those advance screening lines get pretty long) would be enough to motivate you to pay attention, but I guess not for some people. That's how powerfully addicting these devices can be.

The other is that general FOMO, or Fear of Missing Out. You just have to see Movie X so you can get in on the conversation with your peers, so damn the precautions, damn other people's comfort and take your rambunctious toddler and/or crying baby along if you have to. Or take a child to an R-rated movie; too many people just don't think. Literally. They don't think at all.

Finally, The Oatmeal weighed in on this a few years ago. I love the way that guy thinks.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:15 pm
Director

Quote:
It always mystifies me when people say we've gotten more rude now, we really haven't. But the thing is rude behavior is much more noticeable with the rise of the internet and social media.

I never saw anyone text during a movie in the 80s/90s. This is now becoming somewhat commonplace.

I can't imagine anyone's life is so busy, that they can't turn off the phone for 2 hours while they are watching a movie, a movie they presumably paid to see. James is right, people suck(and its not an age thing, many people of all ages seem incapable of putting away the phone, even while taking a dump - I've unfortunately witnessed co-workers walk out of stalls holding their precious phones...)

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:19 pm
Director

Quote:
The other is that general FOMO, or Fear of Missing Out. You just have to see Movie X so you can get in on the conversation with your peers,

hmm, didn't you make a thread about how movies are dying and that TV dominates watercooler talk these days? Movies aren't really what they were(on many levels, the box office this year is way behind last year) so I really doubt that couple with kids are rushing out to see Transformers 12 so they can discuss it with their peers. Its not like Game of Thrones or something.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:29 pm
Director

calvero wrote:
I never saw anyone text during a movie in the 80s/90s. This is now becoming somewhat commonplace.

Kinda hard to do something before it actually exists, wouldn't you say? :lol:

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:35 pm
Director

calvero wrote:
hmm, didn't you make a thread about how movies are dying and that TV dominates watercooler talk these days? Movies aren't really what they were(on many levels, the box office this year is way behind last year) so I really doubt that couple with kids are rushing out to see Transformers 12 so they can discuss it with their peers. Its not like Game of Thrones or something.

Not with all movies, obviously. But I still think this applies to the blockbusters with built-in fan bases. The steep, 60%+ drops from opening week to the second week still indicate to me that an awful lot of movie-goers still want to get there early.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:36 pm
Auteur

calvero wrote:
Quote:

I can't imagine anyone's life is so busy, that they can't turn off the phone for 2 hours while they are watching a movie, a movie they presumably paid to see. James is right, people suck(and its not an age thing, many people of all ages seem incapable of putting away the phone, even while taking a dump - I've unfortunately witnessed co-workers walk out of stalls holding their precious phones...)

People can still be obnoxious without texting though, i'd certainly rather put up with that then have to worry about someone pulling a gun in the theater. I read a forum thread on another site about worst theater experiences, and one guy mentioned being at a screening for "Passenger 57" where some guy was being really loud and pulled out a gun and started threatening everyone, thankfully that's as far as it went.

Also people talking on their cellphones in theaters was becoming a problem as early as the late 90s(maybe even earlier) when they started getting more affordable and they were no longer a niche item mainly bought by rich people.

I must be one of the few people my age who dosen't have a smartphone(at least not one carry around with me, I use my sister's old smartphone to connect to the internet on my computer, since that gets me unlimited data usage, i've also occasionally used it to get apps that are compatible with certainly games on my Xbox), I still use a regular mobile phone and don't use it for anything other then taking calls(you can get internet on it, but it's painfully slow and it costs too much to really be worth using)

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:38 pm
Director

This is exactly why I avoid blockbusters theatrically. You rarely find this sort of behaviour while attending adult dramas or foreign language films.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:54 pm
Gaffer

Wow, no wonder Transformers got such a terrible review. :D

In all seriousness, how can theater owners sit idly by when the movie-going experience is constantly sullied with stories such as this? Perhaps it is time for theaters consider employing more direct, visible customer service representatives throughout the movie screening to ensure appropriate behaviour from their guests, and to allow guests to flag them down to deal with problems in an immediate and direct fashion (like a waiter).

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:05 pm
Cinematographer

I find the level of audience obnoxiousness tends to be an inverse ratio to the price paid. The less paid, the more out of line they tend to be. Going to a "free preview screening" with GoFoBo or whatever? Be prepared to Kaytee-bar the door.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:08 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
This is exactly why I avoid blockbusters theatrically. You rarely find this sort of behaviour while attending adult dramas or foreign language films.

Oh you're quite mistaken there, i've been on several "worst experience in a theater" forum threads, and quite a few of those bad experiences were in fact at screenings for drama films(and a few foreign ones as well).

One person got stabbed in the neck with a thermometer after complaining about someone talking on their cellphone at a screening for Shutter Island.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/03/shutter-island-moviegoer-complains-about-cellphone-call-gets-stabbed-in-neck-with-meter-thermometer.html

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:10 pm
Director

Quote:

I went to Hitchcock silent film last year(with live musical accompaniment), and someone was actually texting during the film. It's just a part of life today I guess.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:16 pm
Producer

I can honestly say there's really only been 2 incidents of bad behavior that took me out of the movie. The first was a crying baby in a showing of Antwone Fisher. The second time was at a screening of Wrath of the Titans. The funny thing too about that screening is that there were only a few other people. But this couple were being extremely rude, this other couple tried to get them to stop, threatened to get the manager so they left but not without first threatening the couple. It actually kind of scared me even though he wasn't threatening me. It was still a pretty startling experience and actually took me out of the movie for a while as all I could think of was, what if they come back with a gun or something? It never happened but in this day and age, who knows, right?

But I have to say other than those two times, I've been very happy with my theater experiences. Though I also rarely, if ever, go to the movies on Friday and Saturday nights. Also, every since theaters started showing movies opening Fridays on Thursday night, I've been able to see them then for the most part which helps a lot too.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:49 pm
Director

Johnny Larue wrote:
I find the level of audience obnoxiousness tends to be an inverse ratio to the price paid. The less paid, the more out of line they tend to be. Going to a "free preview screening" with GoFoBo or whatever? Be prepared to Kaytee-bar the door.

Most of my experiences with free screenings have been very positive overall. The one notable exception was PRISONERS, where people laughed at some of the "torture" material, including the sight of Paul Dano's battered face. Inappropriate laughter is a separate can of worms though. Can't really police that given how subjective it all is.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:58 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:

Most of my experiences with free screenings have been very positive overall. The one notable exception was PRISONERS, where people laughed at some of the "torture" material, including the sight of Paul Dano's battered face. Inappropriate laughter is a separate can of worms though. Can't really police that given how subjective it all is.

Something similar happened to me when I saw Drive, I couldn't help but laugh my ass off at the "head-stomp" scene in the elavator, it just came across as too cheesy to really be disturbing and the scene felt like it belonged more in a slasher film.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:17 pm
Producer

FOMO, along with YOLO, definitely dominates current culture, especially with younger people. Now texting in the theater...calvero's right, that's not an age thing. Older people are guilty of that too, unfortunately. But FOMO is definitely an age thing. I agree with calvero that it tends to happen with TV a bit more these days, and I don't think it's factored much into any movie this year so far. The last time it did I would say is perhaps the Hunger Games sequel last year. As Ross has mentioned a few times, every blockbuster this year has had the exact same box office drop in the second week. It may indicate a growing indifference about these movies in general. But the other thing is also very true: the kind of cultural mindset that FOMO creates can blind rational thinking.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:57 pm
Director

Different country, slightly different experience. I think one of our advantages is assigned seats, especially when I can pay for it from home an hour or two before seeing a film. Good seats are often taken by people who plan beforehand, and they tend to be well behaved, so I'm often far from the noisy, kicking people. Going to our biggest movie board though, I still often see people complaining of cellphones, kicking and/or screaming kids, and jabbering teens, so it is definitely a universal phenomenon.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:33 pm
Producer

peng wrote:
Different country, slightly different experience. I think one of our advantages is assigned seats, especially when I can pay for it from home an hour or two before seeing a film. Good seats are often taken by people who plan beforehand, and they tend to be well behaved, so I'm often far from the noisy, kicking people. Going to our biggest movie board though, I still often see people complaining of cellphones, kicking and/or screaming kids, and jabbering teens, so it is definitely a universal phenomenon.

Most theaters in Los Angeles have that new form of reserved seating. I have some issues with that (I usually move to a different seat once the movie starts), but I guess this also demonstrates its advantages.

Another part of this problem of course is stadium seating. All rows are below one another so behavior of the patrons in the rows in front of you can be distracting. Not so in an old fashioned theater where the seats are all on the same plane, all rows look up at the screen, and no one looks down to it.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:38 pm