Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:59 am

Under The Dome 
Cinematographer

Post Under The Dome
OK...OK...I think the only reason these summer shows are half-way popular is because there is nothing else much new that's on during the Summer months (THAT ain't news). And like most Stephen King TV adaptations this one is filled with uni-dimensional caricatures and an "intriguing premise" that is very difficult to stretch out over multiple seasons of TV, but try they will. Gilligan tried to get off that damn island for three (successful) seasons before he finally made it 10 years later in a TV movie.

Anyway, I was a bit disappointed that this was renewed for a 2nd season last year because that meant they'd be dragging out the story. I would have much preferred this to be a "mini-series" with most of the big questions answered at the end of the run and be done. But alas, success breeds an expanded story (for the record, I've never read the book/short story/novella/whatever by King that this is based on).

So season 2 kicked off with a couple of new characters brought in to supplement the executions of 2 major characters last night. Those deaths were pretty shocking. Also, a nice cameo by King himself in one of the diner scenes getting a cup of coffee from Angie.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:07 pm
Producer

Post Re: Under The Dome
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I wasn't surprised by Linda's death but was surprised and disappointed by Angie's. :(

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:01 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: Under The Dome
Me too. I found an interview with King yesterday from last year where he was addressing fan concerns about the differences between the book and the show and he mentioned that by midway through the events in season 1, that character you mentioned had already bit it....I guess the TV writers had a different plan. Maybe they re-thought that character over the break between seasons and thought the killings would help them to amp up the 2nd season. I mean....there were deaths in season 1, but I don't think many fans were too broken up over the loss of Dodee.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:42 am