Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:56 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 773, 774, 775, 776, 777, 778, 779 ... 821  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Let The Fire Burn

This is an excellent documentary about a chapter of history not very well-known outside the Philadelphia area. It is about the black separatist group MOVE and their clashes with the Philadelphia police, leading up to the botched 1985 eviction operation that resulted in 11 deaths and the destruction of an entire city block (the operation is one of the biggest screw-ups the Philly PD have ever been a part of).

Told mostly through archival footage, the film features all the prominent city figures from the time: Frank Rizzo and Wilson Goode, who were mayors of the city, and Ed Rendell, who was at the time Philly's district attorney (he would later become mayor of Philadelphia and then governor of Pennsylvania), all feature heavily. But the film also includes plenty of footage of the MOVE members that survived the 1985 siege, and allows the viewer to draw their own conclusions. Highly worth seeing.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:16 pm
Director

The Congress (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1821641/
Robin Wright plays a fictionalised version of herself in this highly creative conceptual philosophical surrealistic sci-fi film based on the novel by Stanislaw Lem (who also wrote Solaris). An aging and out of work actress (Robin Wright) decides, on advice of her agent (Harvey Keitel), to allow herself to be "scanned", so the studios can use a virtual CGI version of her as much as they want (like 2002's S1m0ne). Contractually Robin is no longer allowed to take on any parts herself; I assume she does collect royalties from her virtual "roles" though, else it would be a really shitty deal. Fast forward twenty years, and things get seriously weird. A new invention allows users, via inhaling a chemical concoction, to hallucinate any world they like and occupy it indefinitely (this largely renders movies obsolete). While Robin is under the influence of the hallucinogen the film switches to a 2D animated cartoon, and the next 45 minutes or so involves some extremely surrealistic imagery of the Salvidore Dali variety. Robin Wright is excellent as herself and appears (I'm pretty sure) in every scene. Cameos of cartoon versions of Grace Jones, Michael Jackson and Tom Cruise (probably among others) also feature.
The Congress contains much high-brow thought-provoking stuff, yet didn't come across as pretentious for me (although I can understand those that might consider it so). Definitely the most innovative and imaginative film I have seen so far this year.
9/10.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:21 pm
Second Unit Director

Only Lovers Left Alive(2013)

Jim Jarmusch directs one of the odder vampire movies I have seen in a while. There is no plot or much characterization but it is all about style where you spend 2 hours with two hipster vampires in their time warped liars of retro electronics,musical instruments and 45 rpm records. Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton are effortlessly good playing too cool and bored with it all. The one idea that was amusing was placing Hiddleston's decaying Castle Dracula in a large brownstone in the middle of the ruins of Detroit which is the other character in the movie along with packs of howling wolves running around the neighborhood at night.

Belle (2013)

This is movie directed by a British lady named Amma Asante which is a mash up of Jane Austen and Amistad. Gugu Mbatha-Raw plays a biracial women in 18th century Britain who's Royal Navy father has left in the care of his aristocratic family of Tom Wilkinson and Emily Watson. An interesting story about class,race,gender and slavery. The case of Belle and how she fits or doesn't fit into a rule bound and class ridden society and how she influences people around her especially with Tom Wilkinson being the presiding judge on the famous Zong slave ship massacre court case is quite fascinating. Canadian Sarah Gadon is quite good in an supporting part of Belle's young cousin. The real 18th century painting of the two cousins still exists

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/may/27/dido-belle-enigmatic-painting-that-inspired-a-movie

Last edited by oakenshield32 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:06 pm
Critic

oakenshield32 wrote:

Belle (2013)

This is movie directed by a British lady named Amma Asante which is a mash up of Jane Austen and Amistad. Gugu Mbatha-Raw plays a biracial women in 18th century Britain who's Royal Navy father has left in the care of his aristocratic family of Tom Wilkinson and Emily Watson. An interesting story about class,race,gender and slavery. The case of Belle and how she fits or doesn't fit into a rule bound and class ridden society and how she influences people around her especially with Tom Wilkinson being the presiding judge on the famous Zong slave ship massacre court case is quite fascinating. Canadian Sarah Gadon is quite good in an supporting part of Belle's young cousin. The real 18th century painting of the two cousins still exists

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/may/27/dido-belle-enigmatic-painting-that-inspired-a-movie

I really want her to get an Oscar nod just so we can hear people say "Gugu Mbatha-Raw" all awards season

Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:06 pm
Director

Oldboy (Spike Lee's version)

There's two ways of looking at this film. First is that it's unnecessary; the material (based on a Korean film, which in turn was based on a graphic novel) is too odd and extreme to have any kind of mass appeal, so what is the point of making this for an American audience? I get that argument. A second approach is to accept that it was remade, and to judge its success on its own merits. I chose the latter, and must admit that I rather enjoyed this. This version of Oldboy follows the same basic story as the original, but all of the fat has been trimmed, making this a lean, mean thriller. Director Spike Lee cuts most of his usual soapboxing out of the film, and proves that he can handle a genre picture pretty well.

I understand the complaints that the lack of character development make this story unrealistic. But if we're going to be completely honest, the story is unrealistic to begin with; it exists in its own world and nowhere else. For what it does, it does well, and it's one of those rare remakes I feel comfortable in giving a thumbs up. Sure, it was destined to be a financial failure. But it is an artistic success.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:01 pm
Director

Boy Wonder (2010)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1456060/
Boy Wonder follows the story of a troubled teen loner (Caleb Steinmeyer) who's mother was brutally murdered 10 years earlier before his eyes. Because the crime remains unsolved, he has been given special access to the police criminal database since the murder, in the hopes that the perpetrator is arrested for another crime and he recognises him. However, what the police don't know, is that he also uses (or abuses) his knowledge of the criminals he has seen in the database for his own brand of vigilantism (which inexplicable involves getting himself beat up before turning the tables). Enter plucky new on the job cop (Zulay Henao), who thinks she might be on to him. The rest of the story involves the teenagers dysfunctional relationship with his father, who might know more about his wife's murder than he lets on. Solid acting and directing with an okish story.
7/10.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:28 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:

There's two ways of looking at this film. First is that it's unnecessary; the material (based on a Korean film, which in turn was based on a graphic novel) is too odd and extreme to have any kind of mass appeal, so what is the point of making this for an American audience? I get that argument. A second approach is to accept that it was remade, and to judge its success on its own merits. I chose the latter, and must admit that I rather enjoyed this. This version of Oldboy follows the same basic story as the original, but all of the fat has been trimmed, making this a lean, mean thriller. Director Spike Lee cuts most of his usual soapboxing out of the film, and proves that he can handle a genre picture pretty well.

I understand the complaints that the lack of character development make this story unrealistic. But if we're going to be completely honest, the story is unrealistic to begin with; it exists in its own world and nowhere else. For what it does, it does well, and it's one of those rare remakes I feel comfortable in giving a thumbs up. Sure, it was destined to be a financial failure. But it is an artistic success.

Okay weird coincidence, I saw this too yesterday, and was coming here to post some thoughts when I saw this. Also, I pretty much had the same reaction as you did. The thing is, I never saw the Korean original or am familiar with the comic book, so yeah, on it's own terms, it works. Every negative review I've read compares this unfavorably to the original movie, which gives me the impression that it must have been the sort of movie to leave a deep impact on one's psyche.

Liked the single take fight scene in the hallway. Liked some of the dark humor, not sure about some of the elements of the ending though. It's a rare case of will have to give it a re-watch in order to make up mind on that.
-Jeremy

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

thered47 wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

Okay weird coincidence, I saw this too yesterday, and was coming here to post some thoughts when I saw this. Also, I pretty much had the same reaction as you did. The thing is, I never saw the Korean original or am familiar with the comic book, so yeah, on it's own terms, it works. Every negative review I've read compares this unfavorably to the original movie, which gives me the impression that it must have been the sort of movie to leave a deep impact on one's psyche.

Liked the single take fight scene in the hallway. Liked some of the dark humor, not sure about some of the elements of the ending though. It's a rare case of will have to give it a re-watch in order to make up mind on that.
-Jeremy

I always found the original film overpraised, never quite saw what was so special about it, so I was happy that Lee made a dramatically improved version of the original story.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:41 pm
Director

I Saw the Devil (aka Akmareul boatda) (2010)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588170/
Korean film about a man who implements an unusual revenge strategy on a serial killer who brutally murdered his wife. After tracking down the killer (this happens before the mid-way point), he does the unthinkable, and let's him go. The idea presumably is for the hunter to become the hunted. Needless to say events don't unfold as planned. The scenario definitely requires a dose of suspension of disbelief so large that I suspect it will be beyond the limit for some viewers.
I Saw the Devil is wonderfully shot, with very bright colours and interesting lighting (often coloured) - truly a feast for the eyes. The movie is also visceral, borderline exploitation, and definitely not for the squeamish.
8/10.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:22 pm
Director

300: Rise of an Empire (2014)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1253863/
Is this the most stylistically visually stunning film ever made? And Eva Green.
7.5/10.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:44 pm
Director

nitrium wrote:
300: Rise of an Empire (2014)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1253863/
Is this the most stylistically visually stunning film ever made? And Eva Green.
7.5/10.

Is it? For me, RE5 beats it by a little, but I definitely want to see even more movies push that envelope in the future.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:28 am
Assistant Director

The Human Centipede 2: Full Sequence Morbid curiosity led me to this, but considering I kinda liked the first one, I was willing to give this one a chance. Oh boy, but for every merit I would give to the first one, the second part went on a whole opposite direction. A bit tedious through the first 40-50 minutes, it then turns into an absurd, full-blown spectacle of gore and sh*t (literally!). It reached a point where I was mostly chuckling and laughing at the absurdity of it all. Finally, the ending felt more like a cop-out or a cheat. Granted, the lead guy delivers on being creepy and disturbing as hell, but this certainly isn't for everyone. Grade: Probably a C-

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
The Human Centipede 2: Full Sequence Morbid curiosity led me to this, but considering I kinda liked the first one, I was willing to give this one a chance. Oh boy, but for every merit I would give to the first one, the second part went on a whole opposite direction. A bit tedious through the first 40-50 minutes, it then turns into an absurd, full-blown spectacle of gore and sh*t (literally!). It reached a point where I was mostly chuckling and laughing at the absurdity of it all. Finally, the ending felt more like a cop-out or a cheat. Granted, the lead guy delivers on being creepy and disturbing as hell, but this certainly isn't for everyone. Grade: Probably a C-

Better you than me

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:41 am
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

Better you than me

LOL! Have you seen the first one? I thought that one was surprisingly tame and well done, considering the subject matter. And the lead guy was excellent. This one felt like a completely opposite approach to the premise.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

Better you than me

LOL! Have you seen the first one? I thought that one was surprisingly tame and well done, considering the subject matter. And the lead guy was excellent. This one felt like a completely opposite approach to the premise.

The first one bothered me because the plotting was weak (she should easily have escaped) and the utter nihilism of the ending depressed me.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:28 am
Director

The Human Centipede was everything an exploitation film should be. All it needed was Udo Kier hamming it up and it would have been perfect.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:34 pm
Director

Thief12 wrote:

I've avoided both, because the whole premise is just nasty. Ebert gave this a ZERO btw. There is a 3rd one coming, THC3: Final Sequence, that is going to have 500 people in the sequence. Personally, I was hoping it would be called The Human Centipede 3: Full Circle (a sort of perpetual motion machine), but it isn't to be.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:57 pm
Director

Veronika Decides to Die (2009)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1068678/
Sarah Michelle Gellar plays Veronika, who decides to die. After taking a lot of pills, she awakens in a very flash psychiatric institute, where she is told that she has weeks/months to live due to irreversible damage to her heart from the drugs. All the usual mental hospital movie cliches are present here (denial, the unorthodox psychiatrist, bonding with other patients, romance, escape, and, yes, shock therapy) and you will likely have already seen pretty much everything this film offers somewhere before. Nonetheless, it's still a pleasant enough watch and is competently acted (although I'm not sure I would have cast Gellar in this role). Would have greatly benefited from some genuine hard-hitting drama and the ending (feel good, of course) is imo a bit of a cheat.
6/10.

And this would be the 20th for the month!

Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:40 pm
Assistant Director

nitrium wrote:
I've avoided both, because the whole premise is just nasty. Ebert gave this a ZERO btw. There is a 3rd one coming, THC3: Final Sequence, that is going to have 500 people in the sequence. Personally, I was hoping it would be called The Human Centipede 3: Full Circle (a sort of perpetual motion machine), but it isn't to be.

Yeah, I read about the third one. Supposedly Eric Roberts will be in it.

But anyway, like I said above, I was really, really surprised by the first one. I don't think it reveled in the expected nastiness of its premise, and handled it pretty well. Plus, I have to say that the lead villain (played by Dieter Laser) was pretty great.

The second one was a complete opposite in almost every aspect. I read an interview where writer/director Tom Six says that the opposite approach was intentional to reflect "two different characters", referring to the two "doctors" on each film. But regardless of the intentions, it wasn't as effective as the first one.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Anyway, today I caught Splice on TV, and this was really a weird and awkward film. I thought it had some sort of interesting premise, but the writer and director didn't seem to know what to do with it. I mean, what were they going for? was this sci-fi? horror? fantasy? family drama? As the film went on and on, things kept on turning more and more absurd and I really didn't like it that much. Kudos to Sarah Polley, who I think was pretty solid, regardless of the end result. Grade: C

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 773, 774, 775, 776, 777, 778, 779 ... 821  Next