Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:43 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
The Criterion Collection: Best and Worst Of 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: The Criterion Collection: Best and Worst Of
Y Tu Mama Tambien is also among the new releases, although it doesn't have a cover yet. I find that strange because it's been an announced release for eons now. You'd think a cover would be ready by the time August releases were announced.

Fri May 16, 2014 5:11 pm
Director

For the US guys (I think), the Barnes & Noble sale will be from July 1-28, so all the new releases for the month will qualify, except for The Big Chill.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:17 am
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
For the US guys (I think), the Barnes & Noble sale will be from July 1-28, so all the new releases for the month will qualify, except for The Big Chill.

Hell. Yes.

I can't tell you the last time I actually bought a movie. Probably the last Criterion sale. More will be purchased next month.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:22 am
Cinematographer

PeachyPete wrote:
peng wrote:

Hell. Yes.

Indeed. I always go overboard with these sales, taking chances on things I've never seen and picking up way more than I should. Since I've held off on most of the new releases from this year, there's a backlog of great packages I know I won't be able to resist.

I have no idea how I managed to leave A Hard Day's Night off of my top 50 list I posted here several months back, but if I'm being honest that's probably a top 10 film of all time for me. Criterion's package looks to be definitive, so that's a must buy. So are Red River and Picnic At Hanging Rock, and I'm incredibly interested in Hearts and Minds and Georges Franju's Judex. I'll pick up the Jacques Demy collection too; only seen The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg, but that's such a singularly wonderful film I can't help but be excited for the other films in the set.

Shame Vengeance Is Mine and All That Jazz come out in August. They'll have to wait 'till November.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Anyone else kinda pissed that, starting next month, they're switching strictly to DVD/Blu-ray combo packs for all titles? Since it's one of my all-time favorite films (still the only types of films I'm willing to buy on Blu-ray -- well, and films that, in their DVD incarnations, were split over 2 discs/both sides of one disc), I was looking forward to upgrading my old Paramount DVD copy of "Nashville" to Blu... but now I have to buy it on DVD for a second time as well. :evil: Granted, I'm still going to buy it, but it's awful redundant. This also means I'll have no choice but to buy future titles that among my favorite films in Blu-ray sized cases and thus would look awkward if I put them in with rest of my DVDs in my library (yeah, I'm a little OCD that way... :P ).

Good news in that regard:

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/3195-re-format

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:36 am
Cinematographer

Jeff Wilder wrote:

This is only good news for the people who are interested in the films Criterion puts out but who don't want those films in the best possible quality, which is a market I'm frankly baffled even exists.

It's not the biggest deal in the world for people like myself who made the transition to Bluray a long time ago, but it was still nice to have that extra option included, especially since it didn't have any impact on the price.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Again, I'd likely buy more Blu-rays if their cases were the same size as those for DVDs. My inner Adrian Monk just doesn't like how they look integrated with each other on my shelves. :? I bought far too many DVDs prior to Blu-rays taking over to turn back now. :| Besides, the picture and sound are secondary to the film's content, IMO. :ugeek:

Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:21 am
Cinematographer

September releases:

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

The Innocents - fuck yes.

And if you're still buying DVDs, I can't help but wonder if you're also still adding to your CD collection.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:20 pm
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
The Innocents - fuck yes.

And if you're still buying DVDs, I can't help but wonder if you're also still adding to your CD collection.

I don't think I'll ever stop buying hard copies of movies. There's just something about owning the disc/case that will always feel important to me.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:13 pm
Director

If I didn't already own the previous DVD editions of "The Innocents," "Macbeth" and "Eraserhead" (from Fox, Sony and Absurda, respectively), I'd be there.

Gedmud wrote:
I don't think I'll ever stop buying hard copies of movies. There's just something about owning the disc/case that will always feel important to me.

The trouble is, as they accumulate, they take up a lot of space... which I personally don't have a lot of, since I live in an apartment. About a third of my DVD library I'm currently keeping at my parents' house. :ugeek:

Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:55 pm
Director

PeachyPete wrote:

I still buy DVDs and CDs on occasion, but I do stream a lot of stuff. Mostly, it all depends on how much I like the item in question. But one upside - a lot of CDs and DVDs are cheap. You can get a full album or feature film for under five bucks if you look in the right places.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:26 pm
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:

I buy Cd's but I only buy Blu-Rays'...unless I'm at a convention. Somehow I doubt that The Cinema Snob Movie or Pro Wrestlers vs. Zombies will be in Blu-Ray anytime soon

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:35 pm
Auteur

patrick wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

I buy Cd's but I only buy Blu-Rays'...unless I'm at a convention. Somehow I doubt that The Cinema Snob Movie or Pro Wrestlers vs. Zombies will be in Blu-Ray anytime soon

Nothing wrong with still getting CDs, i'm a member of a forum called "Heart Of Metal", many of the users there prefer to collect CDs and vinyl.

I still use DVD as well, I simply can't justify buying a Blu-Ray player when I have two perfectly functional DVD players, it just seems like a waste of money to me.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:43 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
The trouble is, as they accumulate, they take up a lot of space... which I personally don't have a lot of, since I live in an apartment.
I have the same problem of dvds taking too much space too. I find it absurd that while dvds could take very little space they come in very big cases compared to cds thus negating this advantage. I can understand though that marketing-wise, the big cases imply more “value for money”. I once considered getting rid of the dvd cases and keeping my dvds in cd jewel cases. Blu-ray cases are better in that respect; they take less space and are more beautiful. I would buy more Criterion Blu-Rays if their cases were thinner like standard Blu-Ray cases.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:02 pm
Cinematographer

Time to spend some of that hard-earned cash!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Criteri ... /379003202

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Red River comes out today

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:05 pm
Cinematographer

October releases:

ImageImageImageImageImage

Amazing month, with some wonderful films, packages and covers. The Tati set will probably end up being the release of the year.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Blonde Almond wrote:
The Tati set will probably end up being the release of the year.

Too bad I already have all the Hulot films. Hopefully someone will offer up JUST a copy of "Jour de Fête" to purchase (which is how I got "Head" and "Drive, He Said/"A Safe Place" from the BBS set :| ) somewhere down the road, because I really don't feel like shelling out so much for the whole set.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:01 pm
Director

Apparently this is up for pre-order on itunes for August 5.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:10 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next