Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:46 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World 
Auteur

Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Yeah, we all know the drill, Vex -- you'll always prefer something that's blatantly commercial/mainstream over something that's not.

Anyway, back to the original topic...

Not always, there are quite a few obscure bands I love that many of you have probably never heard of before. My all time favorite band is a German rock group called Bonfire, shame they never hit it as big as the Scorpions.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:01 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
I don't care how "complicated" music is or how many notes it is in what pattern, all I care about how good it actually sounds, so i'll gladly take Britney SPears over Jethro Tull thank you very much.

Love me some Tull

Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:21 pm
Director

The Shaolin Idiot (aka Look Out, Officer!; Chinese title Shi xiong zhuang gui). Early Stephen Chow vehicle directed by Sze Yu Lau. A ghost of Chang Piao, a police officer falsely accused of suicide is sent back to earth to clear his name and find his true killer. He has to find a savior to defeat his nemesis. Unfortunately, that savior is Hsing (Stephen Chow), the titular idiot.

The film is often funny in the first half, but is also incoherent, and the incoherence and idiocy ultimately ruin the film. Chow is almost always best when he directs himself (an exception being King of Beggars). I understand Saint of Gamblers (aka All For the Winner) is pretty good. The Shaolin Idiot pretty much deserves its obscurity.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:41 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I don't care how "complicated" music is or how many notes it is in what pattern, all I care about how good it actually sounds, so i'll gladly take Britney SPears over Jethro Tull thank you very much.

I wouldn't expect anything less than this. What is so pathetic is that more and more people being born probably think like you.

But If you really think Hit Me Baby one more time or any fucking song that Britney Spears has ever sung is better than even Tull's worst, then........... shit, whatever.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:04 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I wouldn't expect anything less than this. What is so pathetic is that more and more people being born probably think like you.

But If you really think Hit Me Baby one more time or any fucking song that Britney Spears has ever sung is better than even Tull's worst, then........... shit, whatever.

Just my opinion dude, people are allowed to have a different one then yours aren't they? :? There's nothing "pathetic" about people disagreeing with you.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:19 pm
Critic

Let's avoid personal attacks here, particularly ones that have nothing to do with movies

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:35 pm
Assistant Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Agreed. I think this is why Wes Anderson is as popular as he is.

Threeperf35 wrote:
You are correct, this is not the very best example I can come up with, but the average Joe (welcome to Europe BTW) who thinks Alien is way better than Aliens (heard it so many times) is also the same average Joe who thinks Peter Gabriel is better than Phil Collins (heard it so many times) - another default opinon for social skills - Phil Collins is a way better singer (except for the spooky moments) with much more stamina and a great drummer as well -and he and his band had to make it through the 80s, Peter was off the hook at the time - and Phil was just a lower middle class guy from East London. And: Peter Gabriel (the posh high middle class Londoner) went all out pop music when he went solo. Not exactly the same as writing for symphonic orchestras or going quality world music. But again I digress.

My rule still stands: "Don't pretend you like movies because it makes you look good and it is a standard in social conversation and you will be risk-free". Examples: "Ghandi", "A Passage to India", "Out of Africa", "Shakespeare in Love". Hell I even like "Driving Miss Daisy" better than all of the aforementioned, even if it was only for Morgan Freeman who made the very best out of so-so (make that crap) material.

The hipster effect. In some ways, it's the more underground version of the event movie/album. In most of the hipster circle's Wes Anderson's movies are the event movies, much the same way the likes of The Avengers and Iron Man are to much of the mainstream blockbuster crowd.

Many of the hipsters tend to look down on naything that might even be remotely mainstream, even a lot of the stuff they encouraged when ti wasn't mainstream. I caught quite a bit of hell from some indie rock buddies when I bought Amy Winehouse's Back To Black in February 2008. But a few of them had been major fans of hers back in the early days, before people all over consciously and subconsciously snapped their fingers to Rehab.

There are certain things the hipsters are right about (The Flaming Lips, THe Coen Brothers etc). But on the whole I find the fact that you have to like anything to be arbitrary. Saying one has to like Moonrise Kingdom is like saying one has to like The Transformers because those movies sold a lot of tickets. I say this as one who has an appreciation for both Aliens and Waking Life.

See, this is what I was talking about when I got chewed out a while back...

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

No one can direct a movie without directing some narrative short films first.. I'm really sick of directors. Eons hired for their visual pizazz rather than their ability to tell a coherent story with developed characters with personalities. That means YOU, Len Wiseman!

I'm also tired of "artistic" directors fooling their audiences into thinking they're going to be told a story and instead have half the film centered around the actors posing in "dramatic" ways. That means YOU, Steve McQueen!

Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:19 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
No one can direct a movie without directing some narrative short films first.. I'm really sick of directors. Eons hired for their visual pizazz rather than their ability to tell a coherent story with developed characters with personalities. That means YOU, Len Wiseman!

I'm also tired of "artistic" directors fooling their audiences into thinking they're going to be told a story and instead have half the film centered around the actors posing in "dramatic" ways. That means YOU, Steve McQueen!

Gotta disagree there, I think Wiseman is a pretty good director. Though Paul Greengrass with the Bourne sequels definitely seemed to be a case of style over substance.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:37 am
Director

moviemkr7 wrote:

I agree that short films are perhaps useful practice, though truth be told, no short will ever indicate for certain whether its maker can make a feature. But I definitely prize visual pizazz as much as storytelling. The idea that emphasis on sensory stimulation began with the "MTV era" is a complete myth. Stimulation has been a key factor in filmmaking since before Griffith. The best directors throughout history, both old and new, have always placed some emphasis on visual stimulation. I can definitely see why a producer would want to hire a director to make a feature on the basis of their work in commercials or music videos. Stimulation and popping visuals are prized very highly.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:45 am
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
Let's avoid personal attacks here, particularly ones that have nothing to do with movies

Seconded ..... ... there's a perfectly functioning Open Thread for that ;)

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:47 am
Assistant Director

Two rules here:

The film must show some kind of action. Beautiful images to set the stage or add detail are fine, and even encouraged. But if I want to spend two hours watching Michael Fassbender staring off into space ("Shame") or a kid walking down the street ("Blue Caprice"), I'll go to google. Every moment on film should be spent developing the story or the characters in some way.

With rare exceptions, such as "Wall-E" or anything by Sylvain Chomet, you must have dialogue. Body language and set design can really only be used to enhance a character or a feeling. You can't build a whole movie around them.

Any director found guilty for trying to be indie shall never be allowed to make another movie again. Your job is to tell the story, not to win points with the Sundance crowd.

Sat May 10, 2014 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

moviemkr7 wrote:
Two rules here:

The film must show some kind of action. Beautiful images to set the stage or add detail are fine, and even encouraged. But if I want to spend two hours watching Michael Fassbender staring off into space ("Shame") or a kid walking down the street ("Blue Caprice"), I'll go to google. Every moment on film should be spent developing the story or the characters in some way.

With rare exceptions, such as "Wall-E" or anything by Sylvain Chomet, you must have dialogue. Body language and set design can really only be used to enhance a character or a feeling. You can't build a whole movie around them.

Any director found guilty for trying to be indie shall never be allowed to make another movie again. Your job is to tell the story, not to win points with the Sundance crowd.

1. You contradict yourself here. Lack of "action" often does develop the characters. Look at the first half of Taxi Driver

2. Go watch All is Lost

3. You're going to have to explain what "trying to be indie" means.

Sun May 11, 2014 10:24 am
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Two rules here:

1. You contradict yourself here. Lack of "action" often does develop the characters. Look at the first half of Taxi Driver

2. Go watch All is Lost

3. You're going to have to explain what "trying to be indie" means.

Honestly, I'm just trying to dissuade directors from acting like Steve McQueen or that moron who directed "Blue Caprice." If I wanted to look at trees or someone's hands for two hours, I'd just browse google, not sit through a film.

Sun May 11, 2014 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Preaching is not allowed. If you go the route of God's Not Dead and preach instead of telling a worthwhile story, your movie will be destroyed and you will never be allowed behind a camera again.

Wed May 21, 2014 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
Preaching is not allowed. If you go the route of God's Not Dead and preach instead of telling a worthwhile story, your movie will be destroyed and you will never be allowed behind a camera again.

By this logic, that eliminates Tyler Perry's films, so hell yeah! That's a rule I can get behind.

Wed May 21, 2014 6:25 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

By this logic, that eliminates Tyler Perry's films, so hell yeah! That's a rule I can get behind.

I like some of Perry's films and I don't think preaching is bad as long as it's an important message and it's well delivered.

Fri May 30, 2014 12:11 pm
Assistant Director

All actors should be drama school grads, not models who were in the right place at the right time. NO MORE TAYLOR LAUTNERS!

Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
All actors should be drama school grads, not models who were in the right place at the right time. NO MORE TAYLOR LAUTNERS!

Outside of Twilight Lautner's actually an OK actor, i'd say no more Robert Pattison's instead, as he's a FAR worse actor, at first I thought it was just Twilight, but nope, he's been consistently terrible in every single film he's acted in, especially Cosmopolis, which may very be the single WORST performance i've EVER seen in ANY film, it's that bad.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:45 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

Outside of Twilight Lautner's actually an OK actor, i'd say no more Robert Pattison's instead, as he's a FAR worse actor, at first I thought it was just Twilight, but nope, he's been consistently terrible in every single film he's acted in, especially Cosmopolis, which may very be the single WORST performance i've EVER seen in ANY film, it's that bad.

Whaaaaaaaatttt?

Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:00 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next