Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:54 am

25th anniversary of "Ghostbusters II" - June 16 
Second Unit Director

Post 25th anniversary of "Ghostbusters II" - June 16
So about a week after we get the 30th anniversary of Ghostbusters we now get the 25th anniversary of Ghostbusters II. So how has the film held up for you after 25 years?

Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:54 pm
Director

Post Re: 25th anniversary of "Ghostbusters II" - June 16
I don't see it as the full-fledged disaster a lot of people do. In terms of unnecessary sequels, Men In Black II was worse.

On the whole, it was pretty mediocre. Entertaining sure. But doesn't transcend like the original did. I'd give it **1/2 whereas the original gets **** hands down.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Last edited by Jeff Wilder on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:51 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
I don't see it as the full-fledged disaster a lot of people do. In terms of unnecessary sequels, Men In Black II was worse.

On the whole, it was pretty mediocre. Entertaining sure. But doesn't transcend like the original did. I'd give it ** maybe throw in 1/2.

Both films were pretty enjoyable, dosen't match up to the first but has some standout moments.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:45 am
Producer

Ghostbusters 2 was one of the first movies I saw at the cinema.

And yeah, I thought, and still think, it's pretty good.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:55 am
Producer

Ghostbusters 2 was my first film seen in a theater. I loved it. Almost as much as the first one. Not quite, but close.

Kurt Fuller is always playing an a**hole. Probably because he does it well.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:50 am
Director

I just re-watched Ghostbusters II for the first time in I don't know how long. I pulled out the DVD (as part of the double pack with the original) and gave it a go.

I was surprised to find that in reality it isn't that bad at all. No, it's not a forgotten masterpiece and it's not on the level of full-fledged classic like the first one was. But it's a better than average sequel that isn't deserving of its reputation as a disaster of biblical proportions.

The story does try to legitimately continue where it left off, rather than simply regurgitating the first. The tone of this one is actually a tad darker. But the one-liners are funny and a few stand out.

Harold Ramis was largely a supporting player in the first one. Here he gets more substance in his role. Also, Louis Tully is gven more to do than he was in the first Ghostbusters.

It does have its flaws. Dickless Peck is sorely missed in the role of the idiotic bureaucrat. The Statue Of Liberty walking scene, while quite entertaining, obviously borrows quite a bit from Stay Puft in the original and the final battle seems more anticlimactic than the one in the first.

Yet overall I find myself ready to raise my rating from **1/2 to ***.

So why does Ghostbusters II have such an undeserved negative reputation? Why do weaker sequels like Die Hard II and Beck To The Future II get undeserved acceptance while this one gets thrashed?

A few possible reasons:

1: Following up a classic is the most obvious one. Anything that came after Ghostbusters was bound to disappoint.

2: Similar to what happened with the disappointing but not awful Sin City sequel. By the time Ghostbusters II hit theaters, the time for Ghostbusting had come and gone. The original movie is timeless. But I get a strong sense it could not have been made in any other period and still come out the same way. By the time Ghostbusters II was out, the moment had passed.

3: The simple fact that many sequels suck has led this one to be tossed in unfairly with crud like Speed 2, Caddyshack II and countless others that are deserving of that reputation.

So, no Ghostbusters II is not a forgotten masterpiece or up to the level of its predecessor. But it's a better than average comedy that's still more fun than its reputation suggests.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:18 am
Auteur

I wouldn't say Back To The Future 2 gets "universal acceptance" as there's quite a few people that did not care for that film(or part 3).

I agree that Ghostbuster 2 is underrated(though I wouldn't quite say it's better then Die Hard 2)

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:34 am
Director

I love Peter MacNicol's goofy performance in this. I was also always a bit puzzled by the fact that Egon and Janine no longer appeared to be an item (she ultimately movies on to Louis in the film). :?

In all honesty, I prefer "Die Harder" to "With a Vengeance." :|

Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:45 am