Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:26 pm

FARGO 
Second Unit Director

Post FARGO
Did anybody else tune in last night?? I was very impressed! Not a remake, nor a sequel. New characters, new story and they just NAILED the tone of the original movie. It was fun watching Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton together on the small screen. The two are just so fantastically awkward. This is good stuff.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:28 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: FARGO
I DVR'ed it and watched last night. I'm with you, it was very good. And there were countless references to the Coen's film, which I found really cool. There was test of manhood after test of manhood throughout and the
[Reveal] Spoiler:
death of the male sheriff, which puts the Marge Gunderson-like female cop into the "top cop" position, sets the rest of the season up to explore these ideas of masculinity the premiere was concerned with. I also really loved how they turned the male sheriff into the male version of Marge from the film, then killed him off in the first episode. Clever.

I'm in for at least a few weeks to see how it goes. If everything is on par with the premiere, I'll stick around for the long haul.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:44 am
Director

Agreed. Totally nailed it. Billy Bob's character is like a hybrid of every Coen Brothers villain ever written. :) Nice to see the likes of Bob Odenkirk, Keith Carradine, Kate Walsh, and Rachel Blanchard in it as well. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:45 am
Second Unit Director

It took a while for me to buy into it, but by the end of the episode, I was absolutely sold on this series. Great performances all around, perfect atmosphere. This could be something special guys.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:19 am
Profile WWW
Director

Just caught up with the pilot, and really enjoyed it. It feels like many Coen movies' motifs and themes distilled down into one series, not just from Fargo like I initially thought (could have been named Coens: The Series). I expect going forward they would draw even more from their other movies, and I hope it finds its own identity too, or else it might get predictable.

And whoa, that hammer's first strike. Both hilarious and horrifying.

Freeman and Thorton are absolutely perfect.

And the policeman's death hit me harder than I expect. :(

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:10 am
Producer

Just watched the 3rd episode of this the other night, and it's not too bad.

It watches more like a collection of intriguing scenes than a coherent whole. The setting is bleak and the characters (not just the psychos) are all grotesque. I'll defer full judgement just yet.

Tue May 06, 2014 6:00 am
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Just watched the 3rd episode of this the other night, and it's not too bad.

It watches more like a collection of intriguing scenes than a coherent whole. The setting is bleak and the characters (not just the psychos) are all grotesque. I'll defer full judgement just yet.

What isn't coherent about the whole? I think it's starting to all come together rather nicely.

And yes, most of the characters are grotesque, but Allison Tolman and Colin Hanks' characters certainly qualify as the moral center of this universe. They're good people, as is Tolman's father who (played by Keith Carradine), after last episode seems to have a lot more to him outside of running a diner.

Tue May 06, 2014 1:10 pm
Director

Loved the opening to this week's episode, which ties way back to Fargo the movie and confirms the show as happening in the same universe.

I like how the plot lines are coming together, with no shortage of narrative ironies that don't feel forced. Freeman and Thorton continue to be great, while the two police officers are nicely building up the series' humanistic core, the Marge Gunderson of this series.

Thu May 08, 2014 12:06 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I watched 5 episodes of this series.
I have to say is fantastic.
Everything in this series is excellent.
Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton are amazing.
Those who do not follow this series should tell them the great things you've lost.
Fargo is the awards season melee.

Thu May 15, 2014 10:10 am
Second Unit Director

Love it. It's absolute gold. Hard to believe this could be pulled off so well when there is so much justified love for the film. It feels like the Coen Bros are writing each episode, which goes to show how good the best of television is at the moment. Billy Bob Thornton is impeccable and looks like he's aging like Benjamin Button. The scene where one of the heavies comes to put it over him and he listens to what he's saying, then while he's still getting abused, goes into the toilet to take a dump is beyond hysterical. The scene where Martin Freeman knocks himself out, equally laugh out loud.

This is the sort of left field comedy that really pushes my buttons. Every scene can be taken seriously or with tongue in cheek. Like Peng said above, the way that it has incorporated the movie Fargo, at the start of the fifth episode is a masterstroke. It was already paying homage to everything great about the classic, but to intertwine the storylines is really, really clever.

Sun May 18, 2014 11:11 am
Director

dear lord, that is an extremely tense and dark, dark episode. Mostly evokes A Serious Man in term of religious overtones and how the universe aligns against our protagonists. It's great, but so depressing.

And that last scene. Goddamn Martin Freeman:

Wed May 21, 2014 11:00 pm
Producer

I like how Lester has turned into a right conniving bastard

Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:08 am
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
I like how Lester has turned into a right conniving bastard

Indeed, even to the point of
[Reveal] Spoiler:
using his new wife as a decoy/sacrificial lamb to save his own ass. :shock:

I have no idea how they're going to wrap all this up in just one more episode, but I'm sure it'll be epic.

It was also nice to see (albeit briefly) Stephen Root, one of the Coens' regulars, make an appearance.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:01 pm
Second Unit Director

This show really is the bomb; I've never seen anything quite like it before. A couple of Billy Bob Thornton's scene's have been a bit over the top,
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(the scene where he went through the building, killing 22 people didn't feel like something the Coen Bros would write - although it was a pretty cool camera shot from outside the building nonetheless. Also, the scene with Martin Freeman escaping the hospital was a bit more slapstick, slightly more unrealistic comedy than they usually do, even though it did remind me of the Raising Arizona baby steal scene a bit)
but apart from a few isolated moments, it really feels like the Coen Bros are ghost writing this, almost as a parody or homage to themselves? That's where the brilliance lies. Sometimes the characters say things that are that ridiculous, much more ridiculous than the in the film Fargo, it feels like they're taking the piss out of the film a little. Other times it feels like the 1996 classic is being celebrated in a truly unique way, with a storyline that can operate in the (film) Fargo universe, or serve as a back-story for characters like Jerry Lundergard or Marge Gunderson.

Anyway, there maybe other television shows that have accompanied a classic film as brilliantly as this does, which I haven't seen, but I doubt there would be one where the style of the show feels so much like the film? Every scene is important to solving a mystery from a comedic perspective.

Every actor is bang on target, but Bob Odenkirk is the scene-stealer. How he can act like he's being so serious and deliver every line of fucked up, left field dialogue is hysterical. He’s the laziest Police Chief on the planet and he’s quite happy with his work ethic. He doesn't overplay the comedy either; he's got the perfect balance. (Yes, he did it in Breaking Bad in a similar role but he's even better here, or at least funnier, with the accent down pat.)

2014 has delivered an amazing first season of True Detective, Fargo, an excellent fourth season of Game of Thrones and an above average second season of House of Cards. With Boardwalk Empire still to come, the quality of television at the moment is astonishing. It feels like it's been like this for about 7 years now, I wonder when this level of excellence will drop off?

Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:51 am
Director

Oh my god, the tension in the last episode is incredible; it's almost like a horror episode. Billy Bob Thorton's presence can be felt strongly and threateningly throughout, even in the long stretch where he is absent.

And wisey, Hannibal's second season ranks as my favorite TV season of the year at the moment. I assume from its absence that you may not have seen the show yet, but I really recommend it. Either way, it's a very strong couple (or more) years of TV indeed.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:52 pm
Director

Oh, and..

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:54 pm
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
Oh my god, the tension in the last episode is incredible; it's almost like a horror episode. Billy Bob Thorton's presence can be felt strongly and threateningly throughout, even in the long stretch where he is absent.

And wisey, Hannibal's second season ranks as my favorite TV season of the year at the moment. I assume from its absence that you may not have seen the show yet, but I really recommend it. Either way, it's a very strong couple (or more) years of TV indeed.

Funny you bring Hannibal up. It was mentioned by someone else on this forum as amazing television, so I started watching it a couple of nights ago. Two episodes in, I'm not sure it's my cup of tea? I'm really not a big horror fan, and particularly don't like Hannibal continually eating human body parts. I mean it's called Hannibal, we all know what he does, but I question if it needs to be shown like six times in two episodes? It grosses me out sure, but after the first few times he's munching away, it feels a bit corny to keep showing it. It sort of reminds me of Dexter a little bit so far, (which I couldn't get into) and Mads Mikkelson is hard to understand, he doesn't speak english clearly. Will finish the first season, silly judging something two episodes in. Hugh Dancy's character (and performance) seems really interesting thus far.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:36 am
Producer

Thornton really shifted his weight in that last episode. He's gone from a bit silly to fucking awesome.

That lift scene. Good grief.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:39 am
Producer

wisey wrote:
This show really is the bomb; I've never seen anything quite like it before. A couple of Billy Bob Thornton's scene's have been a bit over the top,
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(the scene where he went through the building, killing 22 people didn't feel like something the Coen Bros would write - although it was a pretty cool camera shot from outside the building nonetheless. Also, the scene with Martin Freeman escaping the hospital was a bit more slapstick, slightly more unrealistic comedy than they usually do, even though it did remind me of the Raising Arizona baby steal scene a bit)
but apart from a few isolated moments, it really feels like the Coen Bros are ghost writing this, almost as a parody or homage to themselves? That's where the brilliance lies. Sometimes the characters say things that are that ridiculous, much more ridiculous than the in the film Fargo, it feels like they're taking the piss out of the film a little. Other times it feels like the 1996 classic is being celebrated in a truly unique way, with a storyline that can operate in the (film) Fargo universe, or serve as a back-story for characters like Jerry Lundergard or Marge Gunderson.

Anyway, there maybe other television shows that have accompanied a classic film as brilliantly as this does, which I haven't seen, but I doubt there would be one where the style of the show feels so much like the film? Every scene is important to solving a mystery from a comedic perspective.

Every actor is bang on target, but Bob Odenkirk is the scene-stealer. How he can act like he's being so serious and deliver every line of fucked up, left field dialogue is hysterical. He’s the laziest Police Chief on the planet and he’s quite happy with his work ethic. He doesn't overplay the comedy either; he's got the perfect balance. (Yes, he did it in Breaking Bad in a similar role but he's even better here, or at least funnier, with the accent down pat.)

2014 has delivered an amazing first season of True Detective, Fargo, an excellent fourth season of Game of Thrones and an above average second season of House of Cards. With Boardwalk Empire still to come, the quality of television at the moment is astonishing. It feels like it's been like this for about 7 years now, I wonder when this level of excellence will drop off?

I think TV has given us some gems for over a decade.

Sopranos kicked it off in 99.

15 years ago. Mental!!

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:42 am
Director

I loved, loved all the sly metaphors. Running on thin ice, injured-by-animal-trap Malvo being put down, Malvo throwing the award in Lester's face (supremely satisfying moment), and so on.

Malvo getting up with a bloody grin despite being shot three times scared the crap out of me. Almost literally the devil.

Satisfying finale for a great season. I almost regret this being miniseries format a little bit because I will really miss Allison Tolman's performance as this wonderful character.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:42 pm