Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:48 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Game of Thrones 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Game of Thrones
wisey wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I think you spoke about this somewhere in an earlier episode, but my partner and I literally pressed pause last night to try and figure out exactly what was happening when Khaleesi told Jorah to get the fuck out of Meereen.
I’d questioned his motives right throughout, he was mentioned as being a traitor few times in seasons 1 & 2, but I thought he’d gone past that point and genuinely loved and cared about her. Was he feeding information to Lord Varys right throughout to see her eventually get killed? I couldn’t get a firm grasp on it.

I’ll eventually watch GOT from start to finish again, there’s a hell of a lot of names and storylines that are hard to keep track of after just one viewing.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
They made a reference within the last few episodes to remind viewers Jorah had originally been spying on Dany, but had later turned and fully devoted himself to her service (around the time he stopped the wine merchant from poisoning her in season/book one). The books did more to establish the depths of Jorah's feelings for Dany.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:15 am
Cinematographer

JJoshay wrote:
wisey wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I think you spoke about this somewhere in an earlier episode, but my partner and I literally pressed pause last night to try and figure out exactly what was happening when Khaleesi told Jorah to get the fuck out of Meereen.
I’d questioned his motives right throughout, he was mentioned as being a traitor few times in seasons 1 & 2, but I thought he’d gone past that point and genuinely loved and cared about her. Was he feeding information to Lord Varys right throughout to see her eventually get killed? I couldn’t get a firm grasp on it.

I’ll eventually watch GOT from start to finish again, there’s a hell of a lot of names and storylines that are hard to keep track of after just one viewing.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
They made a reference within the last few episodes to remind viewers Jorah had originally been spying on Dany, but had later turned and fully devoted himself to her service (around the time he stopped the wine merchant from poisoning her in season/book one). The books did more to establish the depths of Jorah's feelings for Dany.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
To add another layer of complexity: it was Varys who was sending and receiving messages from Jorah, and he has his own agenda. If you recall, in the first season, there was a scene with him speaking with Illyrio Mopatis who was the host of Dany and Viserys. It was the scene where Arya had gotten lost in the lower levels of the Red Keep and overheard their conversation, though of course she understood little of it. The two of them have been plotting to put a Targaryen back on the Iron Throne for quite some time (basically since the fall of Aerys II).

Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:54 pm
Assistant Director

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVaD8rouJn0

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:30 am
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:

A bit late with that one, but it was pretty funny nonetheless.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:03 am
Director

As usual, I loved the reactions at The Burlington Bar (Their past videos are fun watches as well).

Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:39 am
Assistant Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
nitrium wrote:

A bit late with that one, but it was pretty funny nonetheless.

Well yes, it a few months old now. But that way there are hopefully no spoilers for those catching up.
They just did Top Gun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxFq16IG_k0 complete with VHS quality footage. The age of these things is pretty irrelevant.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:52 am
Cinematographer

I just finished watching the 9th episode tonight, The Watchers on the Walls- to me, it said something right off the bat when the only names showing in the opening credits scene (aside from crew members) were those of actors playing Night's Watch/wildling characters. My initial thoughts:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Up to now, the big battle episode of the series had been Blackwater from season 2. I think that tonight's episode managed to top that one despite my fears that it wouldn't. Wow.
- I was rather unhappy to see both Grenn AND Pyp die in the battle given that they are still alive and well in the books. Sam is pretty much the only friend in the NW that Jon has left, though I knew that he would survive.
- The opening dialogue between Sam and Jon was quite humorous, as the big fat virgin tries to find out what it's like to be with a woman before impending death. The part where he cited the loophole in the oath of the NW was freaking hilarious for me.
- Ygritte died at exactly the hands I thought she would: the kid (Olly) whose village was destroyed a few episodes ago- I knew it when I saw him look at the bow after Sam told him to pick up a weapon and fight.
- I was thinking that Olly was going to get payback for his village by killing Styr too, but Jon was given that honor. What a kill it was, too- nothing like embedding a big fucking hammer into the skull of an asshole to please the audience.
- A big fucking anchor on a chain as a defense against climbers: Fucking AWESOME, MAN.
- The only thing that I found less than satisfying about the episode was the way in which the battle at Castle Black ended, because it was quite abrupt. It of course isn't over, but at least a couple of shots showing NW men doing something other than getting butchered like piglets would have made it a smoother transition to the final scenes.

I was hopeful to see a few scenes away from the Wall, but this just means that we should be in for quite a season finale next Sunday!

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:02 am
Second Unit Director

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night's episode to see what happens!! As a reader of the books, I pretty much have an idea, but at the same time the showrunners seem to change things up juuuuuuuust enough that sometimes we don't. I don't know how you other readers feel about that, but I like that it is not a straight up adaptation of the books. But anyways, a few thoughts on this episode and also some previous... i have not posted here in a bit, so I apologize if I am all over the place!

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The battle at Castle Black was AWESOME. I was really impressed with that one continuous shot of a battle where the camera just panned over the battle... reminiscent of a similar shot in the movie "Atonement." Great job! I guess my biggest complaint was there was no real sense of buildup or urgency to the battle like there was with Blackwater. Where's Mance? He's been MIA. Hot Pie gets more screentime than he does!!

"You're learning." So said The Hound to Arya. But that can be applied to Sansa as well. I'm loving the character arc that she is undergoing right now. Lying, scheming, manipulating ... Sansa. I love it. I am curious where her story will be headed next because as I recall, they have just about used up her material from the books already, haven't they?

I wasn't quite making out what the Mountain was saying as he was killing my boy Prince Oberyn. And I wasn't willing to rewind either. That was just too brutal to watch!! But such an epic scene nonetheless.... even if I couldn't stop thinking about Indigo Montoya the entire time.

Peter Dinklage has another Emmy. Nuff' said.

Will Penny be written into the series, I wonder? I noticed that the pig riders were absent from earlier in the season during the Purple Wedding Dwarf Theatre. None of them were female at all actually. Anyways, I hope so. I like Penny. What more can i say?

Should Theon change his house name to "Stockholm"? Just a thought.

I have too much GOT on the mind. I was at the oil change place the other day and saw a sign that said "Caution: Open Floor." Naturally, my mind wandered to the end of episode 7!

That's all for now, folks!

Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:52 pm
Cinematographer

Ok, just finished watching the final episode of the season tonight, The Children. My initial thoughts so far:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- As expected, the episode picked up from where the last one left off, as Jon went to meet with Mance. As in the books, their meeting was interrupted by the arrival of Stannis Baratheon and his forces. The scene was done very nicely, as the numbers of Stannis' men were shown very well as they swooped in on both sides on Mance's encampment. The moment when that one wildling who was rushing Stannis was neatly intercepted and cut down by one of his horseman was a nice touch.
- The scene with Jon burning Ygritte's body was a nicely done one with much poignancy. Has a corpse ever looked as good as the one Rose Leslie portrayed? I don't think so.
- Bran made it to the Three-Eyed Crow, but did Jojen HAVE to die? Granted, Jojen wasn't a major character, but in the books, he is still alive if not entirely well, just as with Grenn and Pyp at Castle Black. The sequence with their struggle to get inside the tree cave was very well done, however- those walking dead weren't walking so much as running and doing some pretty scary shit. I also see that they elected not to make Brynden Rivers (Three-Eyed Crow) look as scarily ugly as he does in the books.
- Departure from the books #1 in the episode: Cersei flat-out telling her father that she and Jaime were the parents of Tommen, Joffrey, and Myrcella. Tywin's reaction was a fairly obvious way of showing a side of his character that was implied in the books and in earlier episodes.
- From the scene with Cersei and Jaime, it is fairly clear that they plan to have the end of that relationship play out later than it did in the books, as Jaime was already firmly estranged from her by the end of A Storm of Swords.
- Departure from the books #2: Brienne meets Arya and the Hound; in the books, Brienne was looking only for Sansa, as she didn't even know that Arya was still alive. Having her be the one who caused Sandor to be wounded badly enough to ask Arya to give him the gift of mercy was a nice tie-in with the theme of feminine strength in this series, however.
- The scene with Arya and the Hound as he asked for mercy played out pretty much as it did in the books. I really liked the final scene with Arya on the ship to Braavos, on her way to her destiny as a super assassin-ess.
- Departure from the books #3: Tyrion, Shae, and Tywin. While it mostly played out as it did in the books, the motivations were changed, as no mention was made at all of Tywin's wife Tysha and what Tywin did. Also, Jaime did not talk about having played a part in the affair with Tysha that traumatized Tyrion and thus made him swear revenge on his entire family- it's possible that the show is avoiding having Jaime bear any responsibility at all. I did, however, like how the scene did play out- in the books, the death of Shae at Tyrion's hands became a fairly predictable reaction given her poor choice of words in their short conversation. In the episode, no words or music were used until right at the very end of that sequence, and I think it was a great production decision. The way in which the death of Tywin played out, however, didn't seem to go as smoothly without that underlying pain that Tyrion had at what had happened with Tysha (for those who don't know: Tysha turned out to not be a whore, but a person who was what she said- she also had genuinely loved Tyrion for himself and not because he was rich or a member of a great House). While what happened with Shae may have provided enough impetus in the show for Tyrion to off his father, it doesn't compare to his motivation from the books.

All in all, it was a great episode to end the season, and it leaves me impatient for 2015 and season 5. Damnit, I can't wait that long! Maybe The Winds of Winter will be released next year too. Make it so, George!

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:27 am
Director

I think that's the best finale since the first season. The ones for season 2 and 3 are like epilogues and character-checking to the series-changing 9th episodes, while this one is packed with great stuff in its own right (still really feel the Stannis beginning should have been at the end of last episode though).

Regarding the delayed stuff from the third book, I think since book 4 and 5 (in which I view as one story) are so tricky to adapt, and now the showrunners don't have the next book to be the safety blanket to draw events from, they have to save us a few plot points to go on in the next season, such as..

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Lady Stoneheart, the politics at the Wall, Tyrion's wife backstory and now Varys traveling with him and possibly be the one to tell him, etc.

I didn't feel much sadness with the Jon/Ygritte stuff last ep because I feel it wasn't set up well, but Jon's last scene here really hit it for me. Very sad and poignant. And Arya's and Tyrion's sections are executed to perfection.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:36 am
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
Regarding the delayed stuff from the third book, I think since book 4 and 5 (in which I view as one story) are so tricky to adapt, and now the showrunners don't have the next book to be the safety blanket to draw events from, they have to save us a few plot points to go on in the next season, such as..

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Lady Stoneheart, the politics at the Wall, Tyrion's wife backstory and now Varys traveling with him and possibly be the one to tell him, etc.

Apparently, quite a few fans were upset that the first thing mentioned in spoilers here didn't happen during the episode. I am of the thought that
[Reveal] Spoiler:
it is possible that she may never even appear in the series. I hope she does, but unless I hear that Michelle Fairley has been re-signed back to the show's cast...

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:53 am
Director

I mean, I want that to happen too. But can you imagine introducing it as this season's cliffhanger, and then wait like forever only to reveal more scenes about it at the end of next season, or in season 6 altogether? Would work really bad for a tv show, and I think they learn from Reek/Ramsay meandering torture-fest last season to tread carefully when it comes to long-term made-up materials.

I'm pretty sure it will happen. It is too big and deliciously shocking not to be included, not to mention it will involve quite a few of major characters and probably play into the end game.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:06 pm
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
I mean, I want that to happen too. But can you imagine introducing it as this season's cliffhanger, and then wait like forever only to reveal more scenes about it at the end of next season, or in season 6 altogether? Would work really bad for a tv show, and I think they learn from
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Reek/Ramsay meandering torture-fest
last season to tread carefully when it comes to long-term made-up materials.

Just a quickie reminder: please try to avoid spoiling too much if possible- what I covered up is a fairly huge part of a character arc. Also, what I mentioned isn't quite made-up in the sense of a complete fabrication specifically for the show, if that's what you meant. The example you brought up that I put into the spoiler box was another of those instances where something was shown in the TV series that was more implied in the books.

peng wrote:
I'm pretty sure it will happen. It is too big and deliciously shocking not to be included, not to mention it will involve quite a few of major characters and probably play into the end game.
It may not if the show makers decide that the character I referred to isn't important to the overall plot, which to be fair, it really isn't when you think about what has transpired in the books so far.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:32 pm
Second Unit Director

The latest latest casting news for next season:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/25/game-of-thrones-season-5-cast/

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:55 pm
Cinematographer

Taleswapper wrote:
The latest latest casting news for next season:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/25/game-of-thrones-season-5-cast/

From the looks of it, the characters of Arianne and Quentyn Martell will not be appearing in the show at all, and that likely means no Ser Arys Oakheart either. While I would have liked to have seen those characters appear, I totally get the reason behind their exclusion, since none of them were major characters and really were just there to flesh out the involvement of Dorne in the struggle for the Iron Throne.

It is kinda cool to see Dr.Bashir playing Doran Martell, though, and the Sand Snakes cast look pretty good. I also like the casting for Areo Hotah, but of course I want to see his performance before making any final judgements. Lastly, I LOVE that Jonathan Pryce is appearing in the show next season- I've always liked him as an actor starting back from when I saw him in Brazil.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:04 pm
Cinematographer

So, I heard about a potential development reported by one of the many Hollywood rags littering the web:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Bran Stark and Co will not be shown for the entirety of the coming Season 5. This is likely because the storyline in the show has already caught up to where he is at as of the last novel to be published in the book series (A Dance With Dragons). I can understand this decision as a book-reader fan of the show, as he only showed up in a few chapters (3 in all, I think) in that last book, and is only at that point beginning to learn the use of his powers as a greenseer.

While it's not confirmed yet by official sources at HBO, I can see it happening. Some fans of the show may be upset by this decision.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:42 pm
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
So, I heard about a potential development reported by one of the many Hollywood rags littering the web:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Bran Stark and Co will not be shown for the entirety of the coming Season 5. This is likely because the storyline in the show has already caught up to where he is at as of the last novel to be published in the book series (A Dance With Dragons). I can understand this decision as a book-reader fan of the show, as he only showed up in a few chapters (3 in all, I think) in that last book, and is only at that point beginning to learn the use of his powers as a greenseer.

While it's not confirmed yet by official sources at HBO, I can see it happening. Some fans of the show may be upset by this decision.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I know others have been saying this, but I think it's true: won't they have to consider recasting Bran? Whether it's a question of makeup or genetics, he just seems to be aging (in real life) faster than Arya. If he sits out the whole year that might be an easier avenue to replace him. It's a bummer, but it makes sense for the reasons you stated.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:01 am
Cinematographer

Shade2 wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I know others have been saying this, but I think it's true: won't they have to consider recasting Bran? Whether it's a question of makeup or genetics, he just seems to be aging (in real life) faster than Arya. If he sits out the whole year that might be an easier avenue to replace him. It's a bummer, but it makes sense for the reasons you stated.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
It's a possibility, but I don't see it happening for a couple of reasons. First, Isaac Hempstead-Wright has established himself quite firmly in the role and gotten recognition for it in the form of a couple of SAG Award nominations. Thus, it will not be anything close to the situation around the role of Myrcella Baratheon. Second, Isaac has already hit puberty- you can tell by the fact that his voice pitch deepened for the last season. As such, I don't think that it will be a problem to keep him in the role, and it may even enhance things by making his re-appearance as an older Bran Stark who has really started to learn his powers more credible.

Again: While I don't think it will happen, I will not discount the possibility.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:06 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18