Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Kurt Cobain- 20 years 
Director

Post Re: Kurt Cobain- 20 years
Ken wrote:
No Carl Perkins = no George Harrison. That is a one-to-one certitude.

Absolutely. Harrison frequently cited Perkins as a major influence, and covered several of his songs.

Tue May 13, 2014 6:03 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Vex, i'm not denying our horrible contribution to chart music like One Direction.

But our bands are great. Yours (with degrees and exceptions) suck. American rock music as a rule is awful.

I love your soul, your motown. But rock, no way

That is complete and utter BS :roll:

American rock music in general is not "awful" at all, as a rule it's mostly pretty damn awesome! :twisted:

Your bands aren't all that great, Coldplay as mentioned are mediocre at best(I am so sick of hearing "Clocks" played to death on radio stations), Nickelback kicks their ass any day.

The fact that you're endorsing Canadian Nickelback kinda makes my point

Wed May 14, 2014 1:58 am
Producer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Another important point is that British rock would not exist in any form without the contributions of Robert Johnson, Son House, Sonny Boy Williamson, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Chuck Berry, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Bo Diddley, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Willie Dixon, Johnnie Johnson, and Elvis...all American performers that define their sound. Don't believe me? Call up Paul McCartney or Keith Richards, and they'll say the same thing.

A different argument. My point about bands remains. And Vexer charitably backed me up with his reference to Metallica and 'thrash metal'

Wed May 14, 2014 2:02 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Vex, i'm not denying our horrible contribution to chart music like One Direction.

But our bands are great. Yours (with degrees and exceptions) suck. American rock music as a rule is awful.

I love your soul, your motown. But rock, no way

That is complete and utter BS :roll:

American rock music in general is not "awful" at all, as a rule it's mostly pretty damn awesome! :twisted:

Your bands aren't all that great, Coldplay as mentioned are mediocre at best(I am so sick of hearing "Clocks" played to death on radio stations), Nickelback kicks their ass any day.

That was me being tongue-in-cheek, so no it dosen't. ;)

Allow me rephrase my statement, Linkin Park kicks their ass any day.

Wed May 14, 2014 2:05 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Another important point is that British rock would not exist in any form without the contributions of Robert Johnson, Son House, Sonny Boy Williamson, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Chuck Berry, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Bo Diddley, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Willie Dixon, Johnnie Johnson, and Elvis...all American performers that define their sound. Don't believe me? Call up Paul McCartney or Keith Richards, and they'll say the same thing.

A different argument. My point about bands remains. And Vexer charitably backed me up with his reference to Metallica and 'thrash metal'

How did I "back you up"? :?

Producer

Ken wrote:
Don't worry. As Chemical Edge gets bigger and bigger, those stiff-assed Brits will realize just how much their pitiful contributions to our culture pale in comparison. ¡Viva la Revolución!

:lol:

Producer

Vexer wrote:

Linkin Park are a boyband. They suck so much, light itself can't escape

Wed May 14, 2014 2:09 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Linkin Park are a boyband. They suck so much, light itself can't escape

They're not a "boyband" at all, they're alternative and do not "suck" in the least, does this sound like a boyband to you? If you say yes, then I have no idea what to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihlMyDt1QiE

Wed May 14, 2014 2:12 am
Producer

They were artificially assembled by the industry, weren't they?

And either way, they're shite

Wed May 14, 2014 2:14 am
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:

The fact that Vexer is endorsing Nickelback makes nobody's point but Vexer's.

Wed May 14, 2014 2:49 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:

They weren't and are not.

Wed May 14, 2014 3:06 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Could Linkin Park kick anybody's ass? Like, all five of them together, could they kick a single person's ass?

I'm going to have to think about this one.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
That's a lie. It is already forgotten.

Wed May 14, 2014 3:08 am
Producer

Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

They weren't and are not.

Vex, if you're going to position Linkin Park as the guardians of the American castle of rock music, then, well there's not much I can say really.

They're a one-dimensional, teeny-bobber, wannabe goth act with less credibility than Limp Bizkit and all the talent of the Jonas Brothers. They suck so hard they warp time in their vicinity.

If you were going to use someone like Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band to defend American guitar music, then I'd give you some credit. But Linkin Park are the worst of it. They are exactly what I am talking about. They ARE the problem. A boyband in leather jackets and shit make-up is still a boyband.

They're inferior to Evanescence and Placebo (whose best song is a Kate Bush cover), and that's really saying something.

Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 am
Second Unit Director

NotHughGrant wrote:

They're inferior to Evanescence and Placebo (whose best song is a Kate Bush cover), and that's really saying something.

Woah, hold on there...Placebo's your guys's band, not ours.

Wed May 14, 2014 6:00 am
Producer

Holy cow you're right.

They were clearly built for export. My mistake

Wed May 14, 2014 6:02 am
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

A different argument. My point about bands remains.

Those guys didn't play all of the instruments on their respective records. They had bands backing them up. Guitar-driven bands.

EDIT: You and I are in agreement about one thing - Linkin Park sucks.

Wed May 14, 2014 6:13 am
Producer

Here is a list of the American guitar bands I like -

Nirvana
REM
Chilli Peppers
Bob Seger
Bruce Springsteen
Fleetwood Mac (yes I know originally British, but the later band's success was driven by Nicks and Buckingham so it's unfair to completely claim them)

Hendrix and Dylan were something else. Dylan is a master kind of formulator of music, but I wouldn't consider him a great act.

American Bands I don't like -

Metallica
Guns and Roses
Aerosmith
Bon Jovi
Van Halen
Limp Bizcit
Linkin Park ...

... too many to mention actually

Wed May 14, 2014 6:40 am
Producer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

A different argument. My point about bands remains.

Those guys didn't play all of the instruments on their respective records. They had bands backing them up. Guitar-driven bands.

EDIT: You and I are in agreement about one thing - Linkin Park sucks.

Whether some of those very early musicians influenced British musicians afterwards isn't the point. Many an inferior, or at least less- developed work has influenced greater advancements later.

Wed May 14, 2014 6:42 am
Producer

But so no-one things I'm being a raving jingoistic bastard. Here's another opinion -

US Drama series kicks British Drama's ass so badly, I can barely watch the latter.

Once you've been exposed to Breaking Bad, 6-Feet Under, The Sopranos and even early (pre-ridiculous) Nip Tuck; there's no going back to our dross.

Wed May 14, 2014 6:46 am
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:

Whether some of those very early musicians influenced British musicians afterwards isn't the point. Many an inferior, or at least less- developed work has influenced greater advancements later.

If you're calling the work of guys like Berry, Holly, Muddy and others inferior, then it's very obvious you really haven't listened to enough of it. The musicianship is spectacular. Chuck Berry is far and away one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time; he practically developed the vocabulary of rock guitar by himself. Bo Diddley created a riff so influential that it has been copied by literally tens of thousands of British and American artists, and is still being copied today. The Muddy stomp and the Hooker shuffle are also American inventions, and have been widely adapted by British artists. My point is not to crap on British bands, but just to say once again that you're completely off base here, and I can guarantee that if you asked guys like Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney, Mark Knopfler, Jeff Beck, Keith Richards, etc...they would tell you the same thing.

Where you're going wrong is by saying that all American guitar-driven bands are shit when compared to the output of the UK. Now, if you were to say that modern American guitar rock of the past 15 years or so is shit, I would be more inclined to agree. Linkin Park, Staind, 3 Doors Down, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Slipknot, Daughtry, POD, System of a Down, Puddle of Mudd, Theory of a Deadman, Limp Bizkit, Creed...yeah, they suck. You'll get no argument from me there. But I think you need to explore American music more.

Wed May 14, 2014 7:04 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next