Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:14 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Worst Films of the Past 10 Years 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Worst Films of the Past 10 Years
Vexer wrote:
I liked some of the films on that list(Balls Of Fury, Gridiron Gang, Snakes On A Plane, Transformers and Jeepers Creepers 2) the rest range from mediocre to terrible.

Yeah, there are a couple that are on that grey area. But like I said, since I usually manage to avoid most stinkers, those are the ones I can mention.

Balls of Fury, Gridiron Gang, and Snakes on a Plane all fall on that C or C- range for me. I thought the first one was unfunny for the most part; the second was predictable, cliché, and mediocre; and the last one was a wasted opportunity for fun camp. But I really didn't dislike any of those.

As for Transformers, I really disliked that one. Strongly.

Oh, and I remembered another one: Surrogates. Ugh.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Thief12 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I liked some of the films on that list(Balls Of Fury, Gridiron Gang, Snakes On A Plane, Transformers and Jeepers Creepers 2) the rest range from mediocre to terrible.

Yeah, there are a couple that are on that grey area. But like I said, since I usually manage to avoid most stinkers, those are the ones I can mention.

Balls of Fury, Gridiron Gang, and Snakes on a Plane all fall on that C or C- range for me. I thought the first one was unfunny for the most part; the second was predictable, cliché, and mediocre; and the last one was a wasted opportunity for fun camp. But I really didn't dislike any of those.

As for Transformers, I really disliked that one. Strongly.

Oh, and I remembered another one: Surrogates. Ugh.

I liked Surrogates as well, i'm surprised that one wasn't screened for critics.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:45 pm
Second Unit Director

Maybe we should append the name of this thread.....

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:27 am
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Killer Elite
Judy Moody and the not So Bummer Summer
Moonrise Kingdom
Wanderlust
Far North
The Aristocrats (documentary about the aristocrats joke)

Wanderlust? Seriously? What's so bad about a rather inoffensive comedy?

It was just so unfunny. As JB put it, there are fewer things worse than bad comedy, and I barely managed to wring a few chuckles out of that garbage. And Justin Theroux was awful. The role demanded a Johnny Depp-like weirdness and he couldn't come close.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Fri May 09, 2014 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

mrguinness wrote:
Moonrise Kingdom? Really? Wes Anderson's most accessible movie to date?

I don't think there is a director working today who is more in love with himself than Wes Anderson. I'm sure there are bigger egos out there, but no one is more blatantly obvious. He has a good visual sense, I'll give him that. But that's the problem. It's so sickeningly artsy, as if he's saying "Ooh, look at me! Look at how quirky I am! Look at how I'm not Michael Bay or one of those "mainstream" directors! Look at how I'm being artistic rather than a soul-sucking cash cow!"

I'll get that some jokes need pauses to work. It adds suspense and bigger laughs. But not every joke. That's something Wes Anderson needs to learn. And movies that look like really stuffy art house movies (the kind that JB was referencing in his opening paragraph of his "Brotherhood of the Wolf" review) aren't the best places for comedy.

Furthermore, comedy relies on a connection to human nature (so does every other genre, for that matter). But Wes Anderson's characters don't act like normal human beings. They're so weird and so understated that it's impossible to form a human connection with them. They're a bunch of weirdos who mean nothing to us. Watching one of his movies is like reading "White Noise" by Dom DeLillo: weird characters and themes that don't work simply because they neither talk nor act like normal human beings.

I'm not dismissing the film completely. There were a few mild chuckles at the beginning (like the treehouse that was built too high or the scene where the dummy pops up (which caused me to laugh out loud). I just think that Anderson's ego gets in the way of his filmmaking.

Fri May 09, 2014 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I thought the children in Moonrise Kingdom were wonderful, believable characters. And I think the same about the Ralph Fiennes character in Grand Budapest Hotel.

Fri May 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Killer Elite
Judy Moody and the not So Bummer Summer
Moonrise Kingdom
Wanderlust
Far North
The Aristocrats (documentary about the aristocrats joke)

Wanderlust? Seriously? What's so bad about a rather inoffensive comedy?

It was just so unfunny. As JB put it, there are fewer things worse than bad comedy, and I barely managed to wring a few chuckles out of that garbage. And Justin Theroux was awful. The role demanded a Johnny Depp-like weirdness and he couldn't come close.

I disagree that it was "bad comedy", I thought Justin was pretty good and found the film hilarious overall.

Personally I find Depp incredibly irritating in his "weird-roles", and I don't see how he would've possibly fit in this film without looking incredibly out of place.

I can handle a bad comedy just fine, comedy is subjective so I can at least admit that someone else might laugh more at a film I did not particularly funny(Walk Hard being one example, pretty much whole time I was constantly thinking "was I actually supposed to laugh at that"?)

But for me the absolute worst sin a film can commit is being boring, with a bad comedy at least it keeps your attention albeit in a negative way, but a boring movie just puts you to sleep and is pretty much instantly forgettable("Alexander" being one such example, pure soul-crushing boredom every single minute)

Sat May 10, 2014 12:06 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
"Alexander" being one such example, pure soul-crushing boredom nearly every single minute, excepting Rosario Dawson's nude scene

Fixed. :D

Tue May 13, 2014 11:28 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Movie 43, Stepbrothers, High School Musical 3, Hostel 2,

Fri May 16, 2014 11:26 pm
Auteur

Big_Mike wrote:
Movie 43, Stepbrothers, High School Musical 3, Hostel 2,

Disagree on all of those.

Sat May 17, 2014 12:13 am
Assistant Director

I liked Movie 43. It's not perfect, but I was doubled over with laughter for much of the running time. Did you see it in the theater? The running skit with Dennis Quaid and Greg Kinnear was lame, so that may have had something to do with it. The one in the unrated version is much funnier, although I don't know why they saved it for the unrated one...there's nothing that raunchy about it. Maybe it was because it lacked star power...

Sat May 17, 2014 1:41 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Hunger should be on that list too

Tue May 20, 2014 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
I liked Movie 43. It's not perfect, but I was doubled over with laughter for much of the running time. Did you see it in the theater? The running skit with Dennis Quaid and Greg Kinnear was lame, so that may have had something to do with it. The one in the unrated version is much funnier, although I don't know why they saved it for the unrated one...there's nothing that raunchy about it. Maybe it was because it lacked star power...

Clearly you are dillusional in your thinking.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:15 pm
Auteur

Big_Mike wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

No he's not delusional merely for having a different opinion, and I for one agree with his thoughts on the film.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:38 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Big_Mike wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

No he's not delusional merely for having a different opinion, and I for one agree with his thoughts on the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouk32RFij2U

Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:04 am
Second Unit Director

The Hangover. I hate this film and didn't laugh once. My sense of humour maybe a little fucked up, but I could never understand how this film got such universal praise as a great comedy? The scene with the asian guy jumping out of the boot is one of the most irritable moments I can remember having, sitting in a packed cinema. It's one of the few films I couldn't finish watching. It's probably not the worst film of the past ten years all things considered, but it left the worst taste in mouth. When my close friends eventually saw it, they had the same perspective, which redeemed my faith a bit.

Comedy isn't subjective either, if you find The Hangover a great comedy, there is obviously something not right with you.

That last sentence was a poor attempt at sarcasm.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:47 am
Auteur

wisey wrote:
The Hangover. I hate this film and didn't laugh once. My sense of humour maybe a little fucked up, but I could never understand how this film got such universal praise as a great comedy? The scene with the asian guy jumping out of the boot is one of the most irritable moments I can remember having, sitting in a packed cinema. It's one of the few films I couldn't finish watching. It's probably not the worst film of the past ten years all things considered, but it left the worst taste in mouth. When my close friends eventually saw it, they had the same perspective, which redeemed my faith a bit.

Comedy isn't subjective either, if you find The Hangover a great comedy, there is obviously something not right with you.

I found The Hangover somewhat overrated and only laughed occasionally, but for the most part I didn't think it was as amazing as critics made it out to be, and as far as R-rated comedies go, I prefer stuff like Bachelorette, Bridesmaids, Miss March, The To Do List, Hot Tub Time Machine, That's My Boy etc.

Dustin Putman shares your opinion as he despised the first two films for having such unlikeable main characters, though he did sort of enjoy the third film.

Maybe you should finish watching it though as for me most of the funny moments came later in the film.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:30 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
wisey wrote:

I found The Hangover somewhat overrated and only laughed occasionally, but for the most part I didn't think it was as amazing as critics made it out to be, and as far as R-rated comedies go, I prefer stuff like Bachelorette, Bridesmaids, Miss March, The To Do List, Hot Tub Time Machine, That's My Boy etc.

Dustin Putman shares your opinion as he despised the first two films for having such unlikeable main characters, though he did sort of enjoy the third film.

Maybe you should finish watching it though as for me most of the funny moments came later in the film.

I agree with you on Bridesmaids and Hot Tub Time Machine but That's My Boy?!! Okay, I can't say the movie is bad because I haven't seen it, but it looks so awful and Adam Sandler has been in such a rut lately, I'm just not sure I can bring myself to see it. Maybe if it's available to stream on netflix. But eh.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:20 am
Director

wisey wrote:

But that sarcasm is warranted in response to hyperbolic statements that kept popping up back in 2009 that "The Hangover is the greatest comedy ever". Without much thought I can come up with 10 comedies that are better than The Hangover and that's without doing any research.

As far as straightforward (as opposed to combinations of comedy and drama) comedies go, The Hangover may have been the best of the pretty weak 2009 (Wes Anderson's "Fantastic Mr. Fox" being its primary competition). But it wasn't a masterpiece, it wasn't one of the best of the last 10 years and it definitely isn't the greatest of all-time or even in the top 20.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:42 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Vexer wrote:
wisey wrote:

I agree with you on Bridesmaids and Hot Tub Time Machine but That's My Boy?!! Okay, I can't say the movie is bad because I haven't seen it, but it looks so awful and Adam Sandler has been in such a rut lately, I'm just not sure I can bring myself to see it. Maybe if it's available to stream on netflix. But eh.
Well if you haven't seen it then you really can't judge it, and you certainly can't judge a film by it's trailer. Personally I don't think Sandler's in a "rut" at all, i've quite enjoyed his last few films and found that one in particular hilarious.

Last edited by Vexer on Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:17 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next