Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:14 pm

The Five. 
Producer

Post The Five.
This exercise occurred to me while I was doing something. We all have a top 10 that we semi-regularly update, both out of gaining new favorites and having an evolving perspective on the old ones. Here's my most recent one:

Taxi Driver
2001: A Space Odyssey
Superman
Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
The Shining
Raging Bull
Pulp Fiction
Crumb
Barton Fink
Adaptation.

Here's my idea: take your top 10 and whittle it down to five. Not your top five, not your favorite five, not your best five, not your greatest five, but five movies that represent the more singular side of your tastes. They don't have to be in order, and they don't even necessarily have to be from the top 10 at all. Just take five of your top movies that are the most "you" and present them alone.

You can cite reasoning if you want, but I have a sense that this is going to be an instinctive exercise for the most part. For example, 2001: A Space Odyssey is high up there for me, but I think the aspect of my tastes that it represents is something I share with a lot of people and isn't terribly unique to me. My admiration for Taxi Driver, on the other hand, is on a much more personal level. It's a movie that a lot of people hold up as great, but when I watch it, there's something about it that seems to be speaking to me directly. That's the kind of difference that I want to draw here.

So, here are my selections. Again, this doesn't have to be in any particular order, but I kept mine in the same order that they appear in my top 10 just for convenience.

Taxi Driver
Superman
Crumb
Barton Fink

If anybody wants to psychoanalyze me via my taste in movies, this list is exhibit A.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:29 am
Director

Post Re: The Five.
*squinting and psychoanalyzing badly* Haven't seen Mishima, but all other four seem to indicate that you are really fascinated by a deep look at a person's psyche, especially if they are dark, complicated individuals. I might be stretching it with Superman, but then that film is one of the more intimate, character-based superhero ones.

Here's mine, unranked and same order as my top list. These five connect dearly to me in how they seem to profoundly represent different phases of life. I have to span out to my top 20 to bring the last entry in:

Be With You (#1) - Familial love: parents and child, husband and wife; all inevitably lead to loss, but very much worth it.
Toy Story 3 (#6) - Childhood: remember it and move on.
Before Sunset (#8) - Love: how we evolve, sometimes unfavorably, over the years, and what it means to feel connected to the same person during that time.
The Breakfast Club (#10) - Teenage: everything is ridiculously heightened, and not enough is understood.
Cloud Atlas (#18) - Life: the world is such a vast, scary place that only the occasional glimpses of how strongly and beautifully we influence each other's lives make it bearable.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:19 am
Producer

Almost Famous
Contact
Jaws
The Shawshank Redemption
Saving Private Ryan

I almost want to include either The Lord of the Rings trilogy because I love epic movies. I almost want to include Die Hard because of my love for action movies. But I think these are the 5 that I'd have to go with.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:24 am
Second Unit Director

Dazed and Confused
Magnolia
Nashville
Trainspotting
The Wages of Fear

If I was to go one farther and add to this list however, here's an extra list of the five (plus three) directors I think best exemplify my sensibilities as a movie watcher.

Brian De Palma
David Fincher
Spike Jonze
Stanley Kubrick
David Lynch
Hayao Miyazaki
Sion Sono
Quentin Tarantino

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:31 am
Assistant Director

Solaris (1972)
Adaptation. (2002)
Close-Up (1990)
Boogie Nights (1997)
The Exorcist (1973)

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:40 pm
Assistant Director

In release date order:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
The Rear Window (1954)
Goldfinger (1964)
The Godfather (1972)
Aliens (1986)

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:41 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Fargo
To Be or Not To Be
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Apocalypse Now
The Wild Bunch

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:55 pm
Cinematographer

Stop Making Sense
Mystery Train
My Neighbor Totoro
The Truman Show
Wings Of Desire

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Director

My top 10 with a few minor changes since last time

Goodfellas
Apocalypse Now
Chinatown
Do The Right Thing
Monty Python And The Holy Grail
Boogie Nights
Blue Velvet
Aliens
Dr. Strangelove
Dazed And Confused

Now the 5

Goodfellas
Dazed And Confused
Blue Velvet
Do The Right Thing
Dr. Strangelove

Looking over those 5 picks I notice that all of them were influential in one particular regard. I realized not too long ago that when it came to writing and directing I'm at my best when combining comedy and drama. Most of these films do that.

Goodfellas, a gangster movie which depicts the lifestyle realistically yet allows much room for dark humor. Dazed And Confused which is about teenagers in 1976 cutting loose, getting high and having fun. But is perceptive and has a melancholy undertone. Do The Right Thing offers much comedy over an undercurrent of drama that explodes at the end. And Dr. Strangelove, a satire about nuclear arms and war. Finally Blue Velvet depicts a world of innocence contrasted with a nightmare vision.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:37 pm
Second Unit Director

Magnolia
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (the other two are close as well, and I could have just gone with the whole trilogy but I've always felt that was cheating, and anyway to me this one is decidedly better than the other two, great as they are)
Hamlet (1996) - Branagh version
Memento

Honorable mention goes to Dancer in the Dark, not because I can't narrow it down to 5, but that was such a singular filmgoing experience that I feel I need to mention it. Oddly enough I didn't see the first 2 in theaters, but they've always been rewarding no matter how many times I see them, and I always find something remarkable in them.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:26 am
Second Unit Director

Wicked idea for a thread Ken! This tells you much more about other forum members tastes than a best of list would. I love a black comedy (ideally with some edge), it's my favorite genre by a street. It was hard not to include Pulp Fiction, Dr. Strangelove, Trainspotting, Happiness and The Daytrippers in the top five, but these are the films that define my taste more than any others...

Shampoo (1975)
National Lampoons Vacation (1983)
Fargo (1996)
The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

There are a lot of films up there from forum members I respect, that I haven't seen. I'll work through those over the next few weeks. They are: Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (Ken), Be With You (peng), Solaris (1972, Major), To Be or Not to Be (Pete), Stop Making Sense and My Neighbor Totoro (Blonde Almond).

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:29 pm
Second Unit Director

Fight Club
Lord of the Rings
Contact
American Beauty
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Director

I have to say "Inside Llewyn Davis" is the first film I've seen in a long time with which I absolutely directly identified. As an aspiring actor, this was a prime example of how fucking difficult it is to try to make a living as an artist. Like Llewyn, I generally have a hard time relating to non-creative/artistic people, am frustrated by all the hoops you have to jump through to 'make it' (most of which is bullshit) rather than relying on talent alone, and I'm just not a naturally driven person (which is also frustrating when this field of work is really all you care to do). :|

Rounding out this totally random 5:

"Moonrise Kingdom"
"The Conversation"
"High Fidelity"
"Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:39 pm
Second Unit Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
I have to say "Inside Llewyn Davis" is the first film I've seen in a long time with which I absolutely directly identified. As an aspiring actor, this was a prime example of how fucking difficult it is to try to make a living as an artist. Like Llewyn, I generally have a hard time relating to non-creative/artistic people, am frustrated by all the hoops you have to jump through to 'make it' (most of which is bullshit) rather than relying on talent alone, and I'm just not a naturally driven person (which is also frustrating when this field of work is really all you care to do). :|

Well at least you sound sure of yourself, happy and motivated. Even if you don't make it as an actor, those are good buliding blocks to launch another career path from.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 am
Producer

Ken wrote:
This exercise occurred to me while I was doing something. We all have a top 10 that we semi-regularly update, both out of gaining new favorites and having an evolving perspective on the old ones. Here's my most recent one:

Taxi Driver
2001: A Space Odyssey
Superman
The Shining
Raging Bull
Pulp Fiction
Crumb
Barton Fink
Adaptation.

Here's my idea: take your top 10 and whittle it down to five. Not your top five, not your favorite five, not your best five, not your greatest five, but five movies that represent the more singular side of your tastes. They don't have to be in order, and they don't even necessarily have to be from the top 10 at all. Just take five of your top movies that are the most "you" and present them alone.

You can cite reasoning if you want, but I have a sense that this is going to be an instinctive exercise for the most part. For example, 2001: A Space Odyssey is high up there for me, but I think the aspect of my tastes that it represents is something I share with a lot of people and isn't terribly unique to me. My admiration for Taxi Driver, on the other hand, is on a much more personal level. It's a movie that a lot of people hold up as great, but when I watch it, there's something about it that seems to be speaking to me directly. That's the kind of difference that I want to draw here.

So, here are my selections. Again, this doesn't have to be in any particular order, but I kept mine in the same order that they appear in my top 10 just for convenience.

Taxi Driver
Superman
Crumb
Barton Fink

If anybody wants to psychoanalyze me via my taste in movies, this list is exhibit A.

Raging Bull is one MS film I don't recall you discussing much. I was at one point gonna ask your thoughts on it.

Anyway, 5 is fucing harsh!! As I change priorities and perspectives, my films change accordingly. In which case, because The Fantastic Mr Fox is now a staple of my life as a Dad (and a great film), it has to be in. I also find it difficult to split 2 great films from 2004, Sideway and Eternal Sunshine. I guess I lump with the latter because it's a little more uniquely made.

Taxi Driver remains because I love the themes - lost and lonely in a world of scum, and the abandoning of received morality on 'civilisation'. Travis becomes who he is to answer a moral question.

Pulp Fiction is still like opium, even after 20 years. I still love American Beauty. The message about changing one's life 180 in still a powerful and well acted one.

Eternal Sunshine is at once a sci-fi film, a kitchen sink look at relationships between actual humans, and a glorious work of art.

The Fantastic Mr Fox is awesomely put together, darkly humorous, and wonderful look at what the head of a family actually does and is.

1. Taxi Driver
2. Pulp Fiction
3. American Beauty
4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
5. The Fantastic Mr Fox

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:29 am
Cinematographer

H.I. McDonough wrote:

I've heard this quite a bit from people who love the film, but to me it sounds like romanticizing "the artist's struggle" more than a little. I'm not saying that stuff isn't in the movie (it definitely is), or that you shouldn't relate to it, but there's just as much of Llewyn being a straight up asshole/shitty person as there is Llewyn struggling to make it. Timberlake's character gets him a paying gig when he's fallen on hard times, and Llewyn returns the favor by acting like he's too good to be there and mocking the song. He also nails the guy's wife. That's not having a hard time relating to people, that's just being a dick.

Seeing the film as "poor Llewyn" strikes me as ignoring the notion that one of the big reasons Llewyn is where he is has to do with Llewyn getting in his own way just as much as it has to do with a talented artist having trouble making it.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:57 am
Director

Quote:
Shampoo (1975)

Interesting pick. haven't seen that in ages, should rewatch.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:45 pm
Director

PeachyPete wrote:
I've heard this quite a bit from people who love the film, but to me it sounds like romanticizing "the artist's struggle" more than a little. I'm not saying that stuff isn't in the movie (it definitely is), or that you shouldn't relate to it, but there's just as much of Llewyn being a straight up asshole/shitty person as there is Llewyn struggling to make it. Timberlake's character gets him a paying gig when he's fallen on hard times, and Llewyn returns the favor by acting like he's too good to be there and mocking the song. He also nails the guy's wife. That's not having a hard time relating to people, that's just being a dick.

Seeing the film as "poor Llewyn" strikes me as ignoring the notion that one of the big reasons Llewyn is where he is has to do with Llewyn getting in his own way just as much as it has to do with a talented artist having trouble making it.

There's no doubt that Llewyn is also his own worst enemy (and he's shown to be a bit of a womanizer, after all)... but I wouldn't be surprised if Mike's suicide played just as big a part in his downward spiral. The two of them appeared to be on the road to 'making it' up until that point, and to suddenly have the rug pulled out from under you like that and basically have to go back to square one is bound to stir up resentment and bitterness in some people. Perhaps ALMOST making it and then not is even worse than not making it at all. :? And the fact that the work that many artists produce goes on to have far more successful lives than they themselves did (while the average white collar stiff will live a very cushy, comfortable life but not really be remembered by anyone when he and his family are all dead and gone) is perhaps the most bitter pill of all to swallow.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:28 pm
Producer

Just realised I'm not 100% happy with my top 5. Here it is, amended:

Taxi Driver
The Big Lebowski
Saving Private Ryan
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Fantastic Mr Fox

Yes! All those films are great, and are massive to me in their own way

Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:38 am
Producer