Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next
I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But... 
Director

Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pistons-fire-coach-maurice-cheeks-165831433.html

There are so many God-awful organizations in the NBA, and Detroit is just the latest embarrassment. Halfway through the first season? Seriously? I've always liked Mo, so I hope a team with a better roster and GM hires him.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:32 pm
Cinematographer

KWRoss wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pistons-fire-coach-maurice-cheeks-165831433.html

There are so many God-awful organizations in the NBA, and Detroit is just the latest embarrassment. Halfway through the first season? Seriously? I've always liked Mo, so I hope a team with a better roster and GM hires him.

This reeks of Joe Dumars trying to save his skin. Their signing of Josh Smith ruined their chances this year. He just can't play alongside Drummond and Monroe. He's shooting a ton of jumpers and not making many of them. Also, pairing that frontcourt with someone like Brandon Jennings was always a bad idea. It's just a terribly constructed team, and firing Mo is scapegoating him for Dumars' failures as a GM.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:04 pm
Director

How bout those Clippers? 9 in a row.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:53 pm
Director

calvero wrote:
How bout those Clippers? 9 in a row.

Very impressive. I can't wait for the Western Conference Playoffs. That conference is wide open and full of intrigue. The East though..... just fast-forward me to the inevitable Miami vs Indiana clash.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:09 pm
Second Unit Director

Brooklyn and Chicago probably aren't getting past the 2nd round, but they're going to beat up on whoever they play. And the regular season in general doesn't matter between good teams, but last night the Heat played VERY well and still got beat. There's problems with every team... Indy's guaranteed to drop 2 offensive stink bombs per 7 games, so they can be beat by almost anyone.

I've been saying this for weeks... if Reddick comes back healthy, the Clippers will come out of the West. If not... not happening.

The most shocking part of the NBA season to this point? Let's think about the MVP ballot...

1. Lebron
2. Durant

Absolutley indisputable, whatever order you want to put them, and one of them is winning. But who's next on that list?

Blake Griffin & Goran Dragic

Think about that! It's nuts. Paul George is very good, and I personally believe he's a better (although less valuable) defender than Hibbert. But he doesn't have the responsibilities or tools of those other guys. Other guys competing for this list... Noah? Steph Curry and his underachieving bunch? Dirk is having an INCREDIBLE season and no one's paying attention to it. Again, K-Dud or Bron-Bron are winning it, but it's crazy the type of guys that are at the top of the heap this year. So much fun! Should be a very interesting playoffs.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:37 pm
Cinematographer

Shade2 wrote:
Brooklyn and Chicago probably aren't getting past the 2nd round, but they're going to beat up on whoever they play. And the regular season in general doesn't matter between good teams, but last night the Heat played VERY well and still got beat. There's problems with every team... Indy's guaranteed to drop 2 offensive stink bombs per 7 games, so they can be beat by almost anyone.

This saddens me to admit, but it's true. Luckily for my Wizards, they're currently slated to play the Raptors in Round 1. Of course, we won't beat them either, but I'll take our chances against them over the Bulls or Nets at this point. We're fading fast thanks to Nene being hurt and Beal not really improving this year, but at least Wall is a legit stud now. He's fun to watch even if the team is very frustrating to watch. And Drew Gooden! What in the world is happening? He's, gulp, good for us!

And how is Chicago still any good? They lose Rose, then basically gave away Deng to show the world they were tanking, yet they're still somehow a solid team. Thibs man, Thibs. That guy can coach his ass off.

But seriously, the entire East sucks right now, Miami and Indiana included. I would have bet a ton on Indiana to take the Heat down anytime in 2013, but it's tough to see now. George has regressed offensively, and thy're playing the worst they have as a team all year. That's a bad way to head into the playoffs. They very well could lose to someone like Brooklyn.

The west is so wide open it's really tough to discuss at this point. We'll have to see how the seeds play out to have any real feel, I think. The only thing I'm positive of is the Blazers going down without much fanfare in Round 1. They've completely fallen apart.

Shade2 wrote:
The most shocking part of the NBA season to this point? Let's think about the MVP ballot...

1. Lebron
2. Durant

Absolutley indisputable, whatever order you want to put them, and one of them is winning. But who's next on that list?

Blake Griffin & Goran Dragic

Think about that! It's nuts. Paul George is very good, and I personally believe he's a better (although less valuable) defender than Hibbert. But he doesn't have the responsibilities or tools of those other guys. Other guys competing for this list... Noah? Steph Curry and his underachieving bunch? Dirk is having an INCREDIBLE season and no one's paying attention to it. Again, K-Dud or Bron-Bron are winning it, but it's crazy the type of guys that are at the top of the heap this year. So much fun! Should be a very interesting playoffs.

Dragic has to win Most Improved, right? I mean, he's been good for a few years, but he's been phenomenal this year. He carried Phoenix when Bledsoe was hurt, and they've been really, really good with both of those guys. Blake making a jump, if not expected, was something always possible for him. It's a point that a former #1 overall pick and rookie of the year SHOULD eventually get to. Dragic becoming a legit All-NBA candidate? Out. Of. Nowhere.

Another one of my favorite thing about this season? Watching Dirk. We've had love fests directed towards him before, but it's great seeing a legend wind his career down while still playing really well (and for the same team) and being competitive. He still cares, knows his limits, and makes the most of the time he gets. He just seems to really appreciate the game and his place in it. He gets it. Long live Dirk...and his career.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:25 pm
Director

Welcome back, bro.

PeachyPete wrote:
And how is Chicago still any good? They lose Rose, then basically gave away Deng to show the world they were tanking, yet they're still somehow a solid team. Thibs man, Thibs. That guy can coach his ass off.

That and maybe it's Ewing Theory at work once again. Take away your dominant scorers and suddenly everyone takes on additional minutes/responsibility and shows there's more than meets the eye. For a while, I was salivating at the thought of Carmelo leaving the Knicks for the Bulls, but on second thought, I'm not sure it's a wise investment. We'd have to amnesty Boozer (gonna happen anyway) and get rid of Taj Gibson somehow to clear enough cap room. Rose coming back even at 75% of what he was would help immensely, but would Melo and his isolation-style of play be a good fit for this team? I'm not sure Thibs would allow it.

PeachyPete wrote:
Another one of my favorite thing about this season? Watching Dirk. We've had love fests directed towards him before, but it's great seeing a legend wind his career down while still playing really well (and for the same team) and being competitive. He still cares, knows his limits, and makes the most of the time he gets. He just seems to really appreciate the game and his place in it. He gets it. Long live Dirk...and his career.

That title he won a few years ago.... that actually happened, right? I mean, it had to; we all watched it. But I'm so used to the NBA bouncing from dynasty to dynasty that it's easy to forget the squads that win one title and that's it.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:49 pm
Cinematographer

KWRoss wrote:
That and maybe it's Ewing Theory at work once again. Take away your dominant scorers and suddenly everyone takes on additional minutes/responsibility and shows there's more than meets the eye. For a while, I was salivating at the thought of Carmelo leaving the Knicks for the Bulls, but on second thought, I'm not sure it's a wise investment. We'd have to amnesty Boozer (gonna happen anyway) and get rid of Taj Gibson somehow to clear enough cap room. Rose coming back even at 75% of what he was would help immensely, but would Melo and his isolation-style of play be a good fit for this team? I'm not sure Thibs would allow it.

Don't give up Gibson at any costs. Or...please do and trade him to the Wizards for Otto Porter. Otto was the #3 pick last year! Sure, he weighs about 100 pounds, can't get on the court, and looks like he's never played basketball in his life when he does (he's especially fond of the long, contested two-point jump shot with more the half the shot clock remaining), but I repeat, THE NUMBER THREE PICK! What a draft!

I'd be terrified of paying Melo this summer. He is who he is - a guy that's going to score no matter what, but not someone who necessarily translates that to Ws. His teams can be good, but a true superstar is someone who makes his team good. Melo doesn't.

As for Dirk, if you have the time and interest go back in this thread and read around the time Dallas was winning that title. We were going apeshit.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:17 pm
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
As for Dirk, if you have the time and interest go back in this thread and read around the time Dallas was winning that title. We were going apeshit.

Indeed we were. I can still remember the feeling of watching Game 2's comeback and all the Dallas wins in that series... it just didn't seem like it could be happening. What a joy.

PeachyPete wrote:
And Drew Gooden! What in the world is happening? He's, gulp, good for us!

I mean, this is as surprising as Dragic, yes? Obviously not as good, but equally if not moreso shocking? It at least seemed sorta-kinda plausible that Dragic would be good, but the idea that Drew Gooden would be good again? Yipes.

KWRoss wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

The Bulls are incredible, with Thibs and Noah leading the way. As Petey said, Gibson is an absolute stud and should get every 6th Man vote. Rose is just so weird at this point. I do feel like people forget how much Bron mopped the floor with him in the playoffs when last they met (and that was on the way to get beat by Dallas, so Bron hadn't figured stuff out yet). No devil's advocate at all here: I'm convinced Rose is spectacular; I'm not sure he makes people better. I'm not just talking about assists because that can be a misleading stat. But he's so ball-dominant and can't shoot at all. I mean, last time he was good he won MVP, and now he might be outside the top 10 players, right? Certainly that's due to guys like Griffin and Curry stepping up, but it's weird. Again, the whole thing is unfair to him -- he's a bad shooter, but not Rubio-bad, and with a few years to play he might have developed it by now. It seems about impossible to believe he'll come back at 100% athletically, so he needs to develop a lot of things and get smarter. I'm certainly rooting for him.

Melo is weird too. He can probably be the best player on a Championship team in a Dirk-like way, and like Dirk, he's vastly underrated as a rebounder and defender. But he doesn't seem to be that kind of leader, and I'm not convinced he cares that much -- in other words, he might just want to get paid, baby. I genuinely don't think the Phil Jackson thing matters at all.

PeachyPete wrote:
This saddens me to admit, but it's true. Luckily for my Wizards, they're currently slated to play the Raptors in Round 1. Of course, we won't beat them either, but I'll take our chances against them over the Bulls or Nets at this point. We're fading fast thanks to Nene being hurt and Beal not really improving this year, but at least Wall is a legit stud now. He's fun to watch even if the team is very frustrating to watch. And Drew Gooden! What in the world is happening? He's, gulp, good for us!

I think the Wiz can beat the Raptors! I mean, Demar Derozan and Terrence Ross don't exactly put the fear of god in anyone. Greivis Vasquez is probably my favorite human at this point, but no one knows how to use him. What a weird roster that is (not that the Wiz is a sensible one, mind you). Watching that series is going to be the most anti-climactic thing ever, but it might be sorta fun.

PeachyPete wrote:
The west is so wide open it's really tough to discuss at this point. We'll have to see how the seeds play out to have any real feel, I think. The only thing I'm positive of is the Blazers going down without much fanfare in Round 1. They've completely fallen apart.

Yeah. It's getting ugly for Blaze Town.

What are your guys' thoughts on Houston? Heaven help us, Dwight is kinda good again! And Harden:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

If you can't be inspired by that, I don't know what to tell you.

Obviously they can score with anyone. Can they do anything else? Probably not! But any combination of a Rockets/Clippers/Warriors in a series will be delightful. As for the Warriors... it's weird and surprising how Mark Jackson is apparently losing his grip (so much that he basically sent Brian Scalabrine to run their offices in Smolensk), but I believe in Steph.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:14 pm
Director

PeachyPete wrote:
Otto was the #3 pick last year! Sure, he weighs about 100 pounds, can't get on the court, and looks like he's never played basketball in his life when he does (he's especially fond of the long, contested two-point jump shot with more the half the shot clock remaining), but I repeat, THE NUMBER THREE PICK! What a draft!

The 2000 Draft is clearly the worst we've ever seen, but I wonder how this one compares. Could it possibly be even worse? At least the #1 pick there (Kenyon Martin) was a pretty solid player when he wasn't getting hurt. How long will Porter (at #3) and Anthony Bennett (at #1) last?

In other sheer badness-related news, here is an EPIC Bill Simmons article on the Sixers' tanking philosophy.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:37 pm
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
The 2000 Draft is clearly the worst we've ever seen, but I wonder how this one compares. Could it possibly be even worse? At least the #1 pick there (Kenyon Martin) was a pretty solid player when he wasn't getting hurt. How long will Porter (at #3) and Anthony Bennett (at #1) last?

Obviously it's way too early, but I think it's crazy either way to say this one is worse, unless you're talking only top 3 picks. Martin and Mike Miller were the best players in that draft. For 2013 we have Oladipo, McLemore, Burke, MCW, The Greek Freak, Dieng, Hardaway Jr, and of course who knows what Noel does. I don't think it's a stellar draft, but I think all of those guys have a chance (not that all of them will) to have a Mike Miller-level career. 2000 was obivously bad from the very start, here we just have a lot of very young guys who aren't playing much or are on very bad teams.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:32 pm
Second Unit Director

I don't enjoy college ball that much because it is generally very poorly played, but there have been (aside from MSU-UConn) close games that were played well by both teams. From an NBA standpoint, though...

-- I do not believe in Julius Randle. He's big and bustling, but he can't really run plays (every play is a clear out for him) and he has NO right hand at all. He's not going to be able to dribble-drive against NBA 3s or 4s when he can only go one way. I hope he reaches his considerable potential, but thus far I'm not impressed.

-- On a similar note, the Harrison twins need at least two more years in school. Hopefully no one's in their ear telling them to come out, because they are nowhere close to ready.

-- Adreian Payne has a great story with the little girl, but he might not be good at all. The whole team had an awful game against UConn, but taking 10 threes? Attacking at random? Not a promising look, especially against a UConn team that is not loaded with NBA talent or size on the front line.

-- Nik Stauskas is a stud, and he might be a better NBA player than Dougie McBuckets. He gets the shots he wants and can play a little defense too. He'll most likely end up on a decent team next year and could be a contributer quickly.

-- This isn't a super-popular opinion right now, but I think Shabazz Napier is better than Kemba at this level and as an NBA prospect. First of all, Kemba did his NCAA thing in a weak year. Nothing to sneeze at, but there were not a litany of great teams. Kemba was also Kemba's biggest fan, whereas Shabazz just cares about winning and can do it in more ways than Kemba could at this stage. This IS a popular opinion right now, but Shabazz is who I want to have the ball at the end of the game of the remaining teams.

-- Frank the Tank. Sure, he's eleven feet tall and doesn't rebound. But have you SEEN that footwork? He was basically playing against 3 NBA players against Arizona and they still couldn't slow him down. Offensively he's better than half of the NBA starting centers right now. Another year for his body and rebounding would be great, but even if they win just one game next weekend he's probably coming out.

And of course, Florida has the best team and probably not an NBA contributer among them.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:28 pm
Cinematographer

Shade2 wrote:
Indeed we were. I can still remember the feeling of watching Game 2's comeback and all the Dallas wins in that series... it just didn't seem like it could be happening. What a joy.

Perfectly summed up. It was a great basketball moment, and it legitimately felt like good was beating bad, even though we all know that stuff is more media driven than actually true when it comes to sports.

Shade2 wrote:
Rose is just so weird at this point. I do feel like people forget how much Bron mopped the floor with him in the playoffs when last they met (and that was on the way to get beat by Dallas, so Bron hadn't figured stuff out yet). No devil's advocate at all here: I'm convinced Rose is spectacular; I'm not sure he makes people better. I'm not just talking about assists because that can be a misleading stat. But he's so ball-dominant and can't shoot at all. I mean, last time he was good he won MVP, and now he might be outside the top 10 players, right? Certainly that's due to guys like Griffin and Curry stepping up, but it's weird. Again, the whole thing is unfair to him -- he's a bad shooter, but not Rubio-bad, and with a few years to play he might have developed it by now. It seems about impossible to believe he'll come back at 100% athletically, so he needs to develop a lot of things and get smarter. I'm certainly rooting for him.

Well said. He's the new Gilbert Arenas, minus all the crazy (and he's clearly better than Gil ever was). Or the new Brandon Roy. Human beings don't mess their bodies up, knees especially, that many times and for that long, and then just regain their athleticism. We've said it before, it just plain sucks. Sometimes a guy's body just can't handle the toll of the NBA. It says nothing about Rose as a person, or player. I agree with your analysis and think he'll have an even harder time than Roy or Arenas specifically because of how reliant his game is/was on athleticism. Again, it stinks.

Shade2 wrote:
I think the Wiz can beat the Raptors! I mean, Demar Derozan and Terrence Ross don't exactly put the fear of god in anyone. Greivis Vasquez is probably my favorite human at this point, but no one knows how to use him. What a weird roster that is (not that the Wiz is a sensible one, mind you). Watching that series is going to be the most anti-climactic thing ever, but it might be sorta fun.

They can, but I have zero faith in them actually doing that. Toronto has owned us this year. Greivis is the man. I loved him at Maryland, he's one of my favorite Terps ever. I loved it when he went to the draft despite not being invited, got taken in the first round, and got all kinds of excited. And I knew he'd have a better NBA career than most of the guys drafted ahead of him. The guy knows how to play and competes, despite not being even a little athletic. I just love him. Always have, always will.

Shade2 wrote:
What are your guys' thoughts on Houston? Heaven help us, Dwight is kinda good again!

Mine pretty much echo yours. Harden doesn't even pretend to play defense, and I don't want to say he's so good offensively that it doesn't matter, but, I mean, he's really, really good offensively. Unless Dwight starts playing defense again like he did in Orlando, it would take a small miracle for them to beat 3 very good teams to reach the Finals, but stranger things have happened. They have a puncher's chance in the West, and like you said, they're almost guaranteed to be in a great first round series.

Shade2 wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

Obviously it's way too early, but I think it's crazy either way to say this one is worse, unless you're talking only top 3 picks. Martin and Mike Miller were the best players in that draft. For 2013 we have Oladipo, McLemore, Burke, MCW, The Greek Freak, Dieng, Hardaway Jr, and of course who knows what Noel does. I don't think it's a stellar draft, but I think all of those guys have a chance (not that all of them will) to have a Mike Miller-level career. 2000 was obivously bad from the very start, here we just have a lot of very young guys who aren't playing much or are on very bad teams.

Yes, it's definitely too early for anything definitive, but I don't think last year will rival 2000. It won't be good, either, but it won't be the worst ever. I think Oladipo will end up having a better career than anyone from 2000.

That Simmons tanking article is really good. I read it a few weeks ago and loved his points. I think they should definitely be worried about the bad habits MCW is developing. Speaking of which, they just tied the longest losing streak in NBA history...AND STILL DON'T HAVE THE WORST RECORD IN THE LEAGUE! That's legitimately amazing. The Bucks, a team that had genuine playoff aspirations when the season began, are sooooooo bad.

One quick note about Porter: He's had a rough go of it things this year. He was injured in his second summer league game, missed the rest of his first offseason as a pro, and then came into a team with two quality SFs (Ariza and Webster) that was also in win now mode. It was pretty much the worst possible scenario for someone like him, so it's not exactly surprising he's had a dud of a rookie campaign. Ariza is probably gone next year, so there might still be some hope for him. Probably not considering the Wizards' history of developing young talent. And, you know, that whole lack of talent thing Porter is struggling with.

College thoughts later, I've typed way too much.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:58 am
Director

I wish the NBA would adopt a stronger age restriction. The "1-and-done" system is so awful and doesn't make things any better than what they were previously. For some prospects, it makes the idea of going to college for a one-year pit-stop look like a joke.

2 years after high school is a good idea (and it's coming soon I believe), but I like the MLB model even better: you can join right out of high school, but if you go to college, you must wait three years. Bottom line, one reason why football is king in this country (among several other reasons) is that the NFL and NCAA football work together to develop the best on-field product and pipeline. Every prospect gets years of seasoning; sure there are some who look ready earlier than 3 years, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:57 pm
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
I wish the NBA would adopt a stronger age restriction. The "1-and-done" system is so awful and doesn't make things any better than what they were previously. For some prospects, it makes the idea of going to college for a one-year pit-stop look like a joke.

It is a joke, all around. The universities see only dollar signs. Sure, they'd like it if players were forced to stay another year, but only for money reasons. For top prospects, staying in school makes zero sense. I genuinely don't think a case can be made in most cases that a player should stay. Now, of course, some players come out too early, sit for their entire rookie deal and end up costing themselves money, possibly, but that won't be fixed by upping the age limit.

KWRoss wrote:
Bottom line, one reason why football is king in this country (among several other reasons) is that the NFL and NCAA football work together to develop the best on-field product and pipeline. Every prospect gets years of seasoning; sure there are some who look ready earlier than 3 years, but that's the exception, not the rule.

I don't think the NCAA-NFL relationship has anything to do with what makes the NFL good. It really is almost apples to oranges, because 18 and 19 year-olds would get killed in the NFL. They need the time in college for growth and structured workouts more than anything. Basketball is different. If the NFL didn't have an age restriction, 1 in 1,000+ players would come out from high school because they wouldn't get drafted high enough and they'd sit forever anyway.

Of course some basketball players come out too early, but again, adding another year won't change that. It seems nearly criminal to me that the University and the NCAA -- again, both parties in it purely to profit off the player, not to help him -- can force him to stay in school (upping the risk for injuries that will alter/eliminate his career and the money that comes with it) when it only benefits them. The age restriction needs to go away on moral grounds, not on basketball ones.

PeachyPete wrote:
He's the new Gilbert Arenas, minus all the crazy (and he's clearly better than Gil ever was). Or the new Brandon Roy.

I was nodding along, but now I'm thinking: are we sure he's better than peak Gil? You're the Wiz authority here so I'll defer. Clearly Rose is the better defender. But both need the ball in their hands to be successful and Gil was much more efficient at scoring, no? You may be right that Rose is way better, but I did have to think about it. Roy is just such a sad story, but we only got glimpses of his potential in like 20 game stretches.

PeachyPete wrote:
Mine pretty much echo yours. Harden doesn't even pretend to play defense, and I don't want to say he's so good offensively that it doesn't matter, but, I mean, he's really, really good offensively. Unless Dwight starts playing defense again like he did in Orlando, it would take a small miracle for them to beat 3 very good teams to reach the Finals, but stranger things have happened. They have a puncher's chance in the West, and like you said, they're almost guaranteed to be in a great first round series.

Yeah he's pretty good at offense, I must admit. Also: Patrick Beverly thoughts? Does he need to tone it down? I can't totally decide if I like him (I generally dislike Houston and won't be rooting for them against anyone), but I am sad that he won't be a part of the playoffs. On the other hand, he probably is out there to physically harm people, so maybe it's a good thing. But he would have produced at least one fight in the playoffs. Bummer. Although I think we'll still get some legit skirmishes in both conferences.

PeachyPete wrote:
One quick note about Porter: He's had a rough go of it things this year. He was injured in his second summer league game, missed the rest of his first offseason as a pro, and then came into a team with two quality SFs (Ariza and Webster) that was also in win now mode. It was pretty much the worst possible scenario for someone like him, so it's not exactly surprising he's had a dud of a rookie campaign. Ariza is probably gone next year, so there might still be some hope for him. Probably not considering the Wizards' history of developing young talent. And, you know, that whole lack of talent thing Porter is struggling with.

Yeah it's tough. Westbrook was pretty awful as a rookie, but he had athletic signs that pointed to his possibilities. This may sound revisionist, but I never bought Porter as a top-5 pick, so perhaps he was just overvalued and will blossom later on. He seems sharp and has skill in the post, so I'm rooting for him to have a surprisingly long career and I think he can end up being a contributer on a good team. As you said, it's hard to envision a worse place for him to have started.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:30 pm
Director

Shade2 wrote:
This isn't a super-popular opinion right now, but I think Shabazz Napier is better than Kemba at this level and as an NBA prospect. First of all, Kemba did his NCAA thing in a weak year. Nothing to sneeze at, but there were not a litany of great teams. Kemba was also Kemba's biggest fan, whereas Shabazz just cares about winning and can do it in more ways than Kemba could at this stage. This IS a popular opinion right now, but Shabazz is who I want to have the ball at the end of the game of the remaining teams.

After last night's game, seems like as good a time as any to say that this is 100% correct. This guy has NBA-range for sure, and he should be the first guard off the board come July.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:56 am
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
After last night's game, seems like as good a time as any to say that this is 100% correct. This guy has NBA-range for sure, and he should be the first guard off the board come July.

I would not go quite that far. He's great, tough, and a winner, but I'm not sure he has NBA athleticism and he's still fairly streaky as a shooter. Exum, Smart, Harris and Stauskas will all go ahead of him and I think all of them should. Ennis, Hairston, Andrew Harrison and Nick Johnson should all go behind him in my mind, but I think at least Ennis will still go ahead. Regardless, it's not a very guard-heavy draft outside of Exum.

I'm very unsure how I feel about Randle. He has no off hand at all and can't really shoot. His athleticism and ability to drive is impressive against college opponents, but it just seems like every NBA team has a guy that could guard him effectively right now. That said, the kid is 18, and his potential as a scorer is fairly limitless. This has become a common thing to say, but I do believe that this draft may be very deep but not produce superstars. I still think Wiggins has the highest probability of being a star, with his absolute ceiling being a Paul George type. Randle is more of an Al Jefferson at best to me, which is certainly nothing to sneeze at and a great pickup anywhere in the first round. Embiid probably doesn't ever become a true two-way threat, but he can be very good. I'm very high on McDermott, Aaron Gordon and Stauskas, but only Gordon probably has a real top-10 chance. All in all a very intriguing draft.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:12 pm
Cinematographer

I never gave my college thoughts, but screw those guys. It's the last night of the regular season! Any early playoff thoughts?

I don't have many and will wait until tonight plays itself out to make any predictions, but I think Miami's recent struggles are just them being ready for the playoffs to start (and the fact that they're resting guys), and Indiana's are all kinds of for real. Seriously, I can easily see the Pacers dropping a second round series to Chicago or Brooklyn at this point.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:18 pm
Director

PeachyPete wrote:
I never gave my college thoughts, but screw those guys. It's the last night of the regular season! Any early playoff thoughts?

I don't have many and will wait until tonight plays itself out to make any predictions, but I think Miami's recent struggles are just them being ready for the playoffs to start (and the fact that they're resting guys), and Indiana's are all kinds of for real. Seriously, I can easily see the Pacers dropping a second round series to Chicago or Brooklyn at this point.

Yup. The Pacers are so mentally soft, and I believe it was Stephen A. Smith who said something about Roy Hibbert doing his best Kwame Brown impersonation lately. That's a comparison NO ONE wants. I think we're headed for a Miami-Brooklyn East Finals, and the Heat win in 7.

Over in the West, Jesus Christ I have no idea what to expect. Bogut going down is a huge loss for the Warriors and severely hurts any chance of them pulling an upset or two. All four top seeds should advance, with that OKC-LA Clippers matchup in the second round being the stuff of legends. Shade's videos regarding the Rockets defense (or lack thereof) is enough to convince me they won't make it past Round 2, but any one of those Top 3 are threats to go all the way.

Screw it. Clippers over Heat in 6 in the Finals.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:26 pm
Cinematographer

I don't know about you guys, but this is always the most exciting part of the sports year for me. The NBA Playoffs get me all kinds of excited. There's no way around it - I cannot wait for Saturday (and especially Sunday).

First things first - the Wizards got the 5 seed! It was probably strategic on Brooklyn's part to tank last night so they could match up with Toronto in the first round, but I'll take it. If we beat Chicago (yes, I know, that's unlikely), we get Indiana in the second round, which is an infinitely better matchup than Miami at this point. I know conventional wisdom would make you think the Wiz would have been better off going against the Raptors, but we were 1-3 against Toronto this year with our only win coming in OT. We were 2-1 against Chicago (although they did blow us out last week). Either way, this guy purchased his ticket for Game 3 last week, the day they went on sale. I'll be at the Verizon Center next Friday screaming my head off. That's exciting even if my squad probably isn't making it out of the first round.

I also think Brooklyn's tank job last night had to do with the fact that they don't fear Miami AT ALL. I'm sure Pierce and Garnett have convinced everyone on that team that they're better than Miami, and they did sweep them in the regular season. It's almost like they intentionally are trying to matchup with the Heat. I don't think they'll beat them in a series, but I do think they'll give them a series.

I think Miami comes out of the East fairly easily at this point. Hopefully the Pacers get their act together because they have the talent and experience to beat them, but I don't see how you could think that would happen at this point.

Out West? My word, what an exciting bracket. There's going to be a lot of late nights for me over the course of the next 2 months, but I wouldn't have it any other way. That's actually not true. I'd rather have the games start earlier so I could go to bed earlier, but I'll put up with less sleep to watch good basketball. I really have no idea what will happen. I think the top 4 seeds will advance, especially now that Bogut is out. Speaking of the Warriors, after last year, has there ever been a more disappointing 50 win team? They got Iggy to add to an already up and coming team, won 51 games this year, and it feels like they've underachieved. Granted, some of that has to do with Mark Jackson kind of losing it, but still, they're a good team. They just didn't make "the leap" we always hear about, and that was expected this season. I'd still give them a shot against the Clippers if Bogut hadn't gone down.

Those second round matchups out west shouid be phenomenally entertaining. Spurs-Rockets will be shootout after shootout and Thunder-Clippers will be a bloodbath. Can't wait for either series.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:36 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next